The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How did YOU become furry? =)  (Read 125645 times)

Offline MaverickTheFur

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Female sona, male irl
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Zangoose
  • Coloring: Light grey, cyan and crimson with a light greenish blue shine over whole body.
  • Height: 4'3"
  • Weight: 91lbs
  • Build: Chubby Pear
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: existing
Re: How did YOU become furry? =)
« Reply #1245 on: March 09, 2018, 02:29:50 AM »
I've always liked anthropomorphic animals, and I've loved animals for the longest time. I just became a furry one day (After I found out all furries weren't just people who dressed up in fursuits).

So that's why.

:dapper:
"Bisexuals = fabulous"
             - Winged Zephyr, 2018
Sonas and Characters: https://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=38784

Pet's name: Belyn
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #1246 on: March 10, 2018, 05:41:47 AM »
I started out just being interested in the spiritual elements of people attached to animals in some way, but then that website closed down and I ended up here. My girlfriend at the time told me about "furries" and said it was a very interesting group, so I just had to check it out.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Madmatt

• Vibrating Furby
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Lightly Orange with white patches around the face and chest
  • Height: 5"8
  • Weight: 12st
  • Build: Light
  • Currently: Very happy, finding a new place to call home.
« Reply #1247 on: March 24, 2018, 06:01:24 PM »
Been playing RP games for as long as I can remember, getting involved in different communities, After meeting a guy on my current one called "Wolfy" and his avatar and forum banner being wolf drawings, they looked pretty cool, started looking into the topic and liking how everything looked. Took the step into it and here I am.

Offline MuttButt

• Avid Aardvark
  • Groovy Pup, Matty Mutt
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Canadian Tolling Retriever/Lab/Aussie Mutt
  • Coloring: brown
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 140 lbs
  • Build: slender
  • Currently: soft and gay
« Reply #1248 on: April 11, 2018, 09:22:57 AM »
It started out by me having an unsupervised internet connection as a teenage boy and finding furry...art that I rather took a shine to. At the time I was kind of an edgy kid, so I fancied reading a satirical wiki called "encyclopedia dramatica" that I'm sure many of you are familiar with. I found the article on furries, read it and went "aw shit...that sounds like me x.x"

I would say that the turning point from just being into the smut and artwork and viewing it as this shameful niche interest that I had to hide from everybody lest they shun me forever to embracing the fandom fully as a community I belonged to and a major part of my identity was when I attended my furst furry con in early 2014, Further Confusion. A friend and online roleplay buddy insisted that I attend a convention because every furry needed the experience. I was dubious because I was afraid of being associated with furries in person and I couldn't afford it anyways, but then she told me that she'd buy my plane ticket, registration, and put me up in her hotel room without charging me anything. That offer was just way too good to pass up, so I went for it, and I got a taste of how wonderful, silly, fun, and kind the fandom could be. I got a taste of what it was like to not be perpetually ashamed of myself and to be free to act as silly and fruity as I liked, because for the first time in my life I was surrounded with people that were just like me. I barely slept, I partied super hard, I kissed my first boy, I walked around so much I got blisters on my feet, I made friends that I speak to and visit to this very day, and it was so good I cried on the entire bus-ride and half the plane ride home because I didn't want it to be over. After all of that, it was pretty hard to go back to the detached irony and vague disdain that I used to treat the rest of the furry community with. They had won my heart over and I can say with confidence that that con changed me for the better and I will never ever forget what the fandom and the people in it have done for me.

Hah, this turned into kind of a rambling post didn't it? I'm sorry about that fuzzbutts uwu
Resident Hippie Mutt Dog~

pan/poly/any pronouns, DM friendly and partial to tummy rubs!

Offline AceAurora

• Boisterous Bear
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sergal
  • Coloring: Black Red and Green
  • Height: 6' 2"
  • Weight: 220
  • Currently: Looking for somewhere to get Sushi
« Reply #1249 on: April 18, 2018, 03:00:31 AM »
I really wish I had a cool story about finding out about the fandom but alas mine is simple. A friend showed me their fursona and being a child without internet until my 6th grade year I really had no clue about the fandom. After a year, I kind of forgot about it since that friend moved and nobody else really talked about it. Once I was in my junior year of high school I was reintroduced to furries as a friend of mine again showed me their fursona and fursuit. That same friend also helped me design my first 'sona and drew my ref sheet.
  • Signature art by: Me/ StarryBadWolf

Offline MisterCarey991

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #1250 on: April 27, 2018, 10:40:41 AM »
This is quite embarrasing, haha, I have to admit that it was thanks to searching Sonic art in Deviantart when I was 12. People tagged their art as anthros/furry and I searched what they were because I didn't know.

I ended reading all the websites that contained information (good and bad) about the furry community and I started to create my first (bad designed and mary sue) fursona: a pink hedgehog who had a mix of powers of Magneto, Wanda and Quicksilver from X-Men, hahaha.

It was really bad...

Offline KitsumiFox

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: orange-brown
  • Height: 5'11
  • Weight: 200 lbs
  • Build: stocky, slightly built
  • Currently: feeling alright
« Reply #1251 on: May 17, 2018, 04:45:41 AM »
I became interested in being a furry for a few reasons: I had a friend in HS that got me super addicted to the anthro designs and made me want to draw them.

The other is the obvious one for a hormonally charged teenager; though interestingly enough I found the furry pics I did see to be more attractive than humans (especially with males) so that was different.   

Offline SadDubwool

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Long time member guy, Never here.
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lop Rabbit
  • Coloring: Dark brown fur with light brown splotches
  • Height: Height:5'7
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: We'll have ourselves a ball
« Reply #1252 on: May 17, 2018, 04:55:59 AM »
Y'know the Hugwolf episode of Adventure Time? Yeah, that is a big contributing factor and some others would include me as an only child with a mom working at the time she used to, I pretty much had free reign over what I could watch and such

I actually started as a brony long before I became a Furry and I honestly really hated how Brony communities functioned at the time so I decided to continue looking for a place I could atleast find some solace, I eventually found this place and became the level of furry I am today, through all the trials and tribulations I've experienced on and off the forums

I still intend to be part of the fandom...

Actually. For better or for worse the majority of the hate i see on the internet seems to have decreased for both furries and bronies, It's frankly surprising and I'm kinda glad that we aren't seen as the "Worst of the worst" anymore

((Also, The previous points Muttbutt and Kitsumi made 'bout all the Smut stuff probably keeps me aroud.))
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 05:00:32 AM by Martin »
Thoughts are like arrows: once released, they strike their mark, guard them well or one day you may be your own victim.

Offline Oriaan

• Avid Aardvark
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/racoon (mostly fox)
  • Coloring: red, grey, black
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: pfft dunno
  • Build: bat/ demon wings apear sometimes,pretty thin,not very muscular
  • Currently: active but also inactive
« Reply #1253 on: May 23, 2018, 02:54:21 AM »
Well, I used to hate furries actually, than I realized it wasn't all a fetish thing and that not all of them were even into **censor**  the anthros, and than I just kinda grew more and more interested
  • Avatar by: Adrianepicl (me) (its old but im too lazy to chang ite currently lol)

Offline mocha

• Vibrating Furby
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Hyena / African Wild Dog
  • Coloring: Brown, dark brown, creme
  • Height: 5'4
  • Weight: 155
  • Build: Stocky with chub
  • Currently: Content
« Reply #1254 on: May 24, 2018, 02:00:55 PM »
I'd have to say it was when I was 12. There was a certain anime I was obsessed with, Hetalia, and they had cat versions of the human characters, so I would always draw the cats. Then I would go on to other animes and draw my own cat versions of the characters. I would also draw my friends as cats as well. I knew what a furry was in the 6th grade, 11 y/o but like every new person on the internet in 2011, I didn't like furries. I made a friend on kik in 2013 or 2014 who was into Hetalia and went on her DeviantArt page and saw that she had a fursona. So I made one myself and probably freshmen year of highschool is when I labeled myself as a furry.

Offline L. Jay Echoes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • I have a pigasus, too.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Pig/Bat/Devil
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 99 lbs
  • Build: Short and trim
  • Currently: refreshingly busy
« Reply #1255 on: June 01, 2018, 09:13:26 PM »
I was seventeen years old and I stumbled upon Captain Furry while browsing the internet. He was was a gateway to artists like Spunky, Phraggle, Oz Kangaroo, Duo Radon, Pokelai, and websites like Deviantart and Furaffinity. I didn’t officially join because I was a very shy individual, even over the internet. Nine years later, I’m in a support group talking about my interest in cartoon animals, and another guy bluntly calls me a furry. I was insulted, not because of any negative views I have towards furries, but because I’d gone there specifically to meet people I felt safe around. That pushed me over the edge, and out of spite (both for him and the group coordinator who gave me this disgusted sneer), I created an account on furaffinity.

I did leave the fandom once last year, but only because I’d gone through a severe moral crisis that I’ve since resolved and come to terms with. I go into the details of my entrance into the fandom in an essay on my FA account (je0000backup). It’s fairly graphic, though. Consider yourself warned.
  • Signature art by: Me again
What did the toilet say to the bath tub?

"I'm hungry for an apple."

Offline Beta8088_Proto

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Protogen
  • Coloring: White and green
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 200KG
  • Build: Standard
« Reply #1256 on: June 05, 2018, 04:34:06 PM »
Two words and two words only:
Animal Crossing.
Might without brains is a sure road to disaster.

Offline AceBun

• Vibrating Furby
    • Discord
    • The Zootopia Song Project
    • Awards
  • Species: Desert Cottontail
« Reply #1257 on: June 06, 2018, 08:25:12 PM »
Twokinds did it for me. Must’ve been around 2010. I haven’t been active in furry communities that much. My interest in the fandom was kindled again when I became active on the Zootopia Reddit. While not officially a furry Reddit, I suppose close to 100% of the members there do fall in the category, regardless of whether or not they admit it. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Avatar by: Disney Animation Studios
- I'm just not into this whole furry stuff...
- Well, you just haven't found the right anthropomorphic character yet! :-)

Offline Samual_Jennings

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox
  • Coloring: Russet red
  • Height: 4 feet
  • Build: lean
  • Currently: Curious
« Reply #1258 on: June 20, 2018, 09:03:23 PM »
I've always had an affinity for canines, both as pets and in the wild. I really started being into anthropomorphic animals when I first saw the movie "Zootopia". I started to pretend I was Nick Wilde, the fox. Eventually, I brushed across the term "furry" on the internet, so I Googled it. I liked the concept, so now I have a fox fursona.  :)  I found this site by Googling "furry forums".

Offline KennedyBryansky

• Vibrating Furby
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: I guess it's a Skitty right now but thats a placeholder
  • Coloring: pinkkkkkk
  • Height: like 2 feet probs idk check bulbapedia
  • Weight: thicc
  • Build: idk
  • Currently: bored
« Reply #1259 on: June 22, 2018, 12:08:45 AM »
Honestly, I just did it on impulse. I knew two furries irl who I were friendly with and thats how I kinda found out about furries. Awhile later, I was like "what if I was a furry" and so i decided to do it x3