The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How did YOU become furry? =)  (Read 85020 times)

Offline mocha

• Vibrating Furby
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Hyena / African Wild Dog
  • Coloring: Brown, dark brown, creme
  • Height: 5'4
  • Weight: 155
  • Build: Stocky with chub
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Content
Re: How did YOU become furry? =)
« Reply #1260 on: May 24, 2018, 02:00:55 PM »
I'd have to say it was when I was 12. There was a certain anime I was obsessed with, Hetalia, and they had cat versions of the human characters, so I would always draw the cats. Then I would go on to other animes and draw my own cat versions of the characters. I would also draw my friends as cats as well. I knew what a furry was in the 6th grade, 11 y/o but like every new person on the internet in 2011, I didn't like furries. I made a friend on kik in 2013 or 2014 who was into Hetalia and went on her DeviantArt page and saw that she had a fursona. So I made one myself and probably freshmen year of highschool is when I labeled myself as a furry.

Offline L. Jay Echoes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Do not read this sentence
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Pig/Bat/Devil
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 99 lbs
  • Build: Short and trim
  • Currently: makin' plans
« Reply #1261 on: June 01, 2018, 09:13:26 PM »
I was seventeen years old and I stumbled upon Captain Furry while browsing the internet. He was was a gateway to artists like Spunky, Phraggle, Oz Kangaroo, Duo Radon, Pokelai, and websites like Deviantart and Furaffinity. I didn’t officially join because I was a very shy individual, even over the internet. Nine years later, I’m in a support group talking about my interest in cartoon animals, and another guy bluntly calls me a furry. I was insulted, not because of any negative views I have towards furries, but because I’d gone there specifically to meet people I felt safe around. That pushed me over the edge, and out of spite (both for him and the group coordinator who gave me this disgusted sneer), I created an account on furaffinity.

I did leave the fandom once last year, but only because I’d gone through a severe moral crisis that I’ve since resolved and come to terms with. I go into the details of my entrance into the fandom in an essay on my FA account (je0000backup). It’s fairly graphic, though. Consider yourself warned.
  • Signature art by: Me again
I've had impure thoughts. Did I entertain them? No, but they sure entertained me!

Offline ComradeSch

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Werewolf
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 130lbs
  • Build: lean, toned
« Reply #1262 on: June 05, 2018, 04:34:06 PM »
Two words and two words only:
Animal Crossing.
Might without brains is a sure road to disaster.

Offline AceBun

• Vibrating Furby
    • Discord
    • The Zootopia Song Project
    • Awards
  • Species: Desert Cottontail
« Reply #1263 on: June 06, 2018, 08:25:12 PM »
Twokinds did it for me. Must’ve been around 2010. I haven’t been active in furry communities that much. My interest in the fandom was kindled again when I became active on the Zootopia Reddit. While not officially a furry Reddit, I suppose close to 100% of the members there do fall in the category, regardless of whether or not they admit it. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Avatar by: Disney Animation Studios
- I'm just not into this whole furry stuff...
- Well, you just haven't found the right anthropomorphic character yet! :-)

Offline Samual_Jennings

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox
  • Coloring: Russet red
  • Height: 4 feet
  • Build: lean
  • Currently: Curious
« Reply #1264 on: June 20, 2018, 09:03:23 PM »
I've always had an affinity for canines, both as pets and in the wild. I really started being into anthropomorphic animals when I first saw the movie "Zootopia". I started to pretend I was Nick Wilde, the fox. Eventually, I brushed across the term "furry" on the internet, so I Googled it. I liked the concept, so now I have a fox fursona.  :)  I found this site by Googling "furry forums".

Offline KennedyBryansky

• Vibrating Furby
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: I guess it's a Skitty right now but thats a placeholder
  • Coloring: pinkkkkkk
  • Height: like 2 feet probs idk check bulbapedia
  • Weight: thicc
  • Build: idk
  • Currently: bored
« Reply #1265 on: June 22, 2018, 12:08:45 AM »
Honestly, I just did it on impulse. I knew two furries irl who I were friendly with and thats how I kinda found out about furries. Awhile later, I was like "what if I was a furry" and so i decided to do it x3

Offline hanngnecessary

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: leaf nosed Bat
  • Coloring: #7EE6DD #1D4683 #0DFFCC
  • Build: thin
  • Currently: amazing because i just ate a ton of candy
« Reply #1266 on: June 28, 2018, 06:50:59 PM »
i was watching a bunch of random animations on youtube because i was bored and somehow found a pocari roo video. then i was like hey, that looks pretty cool.
message me about anything at all, im always free to talk about whatever!
bats rule!

click this bat to see my characters!

click this bat to get some of my art!

Offline Garfield

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
« Reply #1267 on: July 01, 2018, 01:17:28 PM »
Welp about 3 years ago I watched Zootopia once. My buddies got word of it and created the nickname "Furrylover69" that they called me for the rest of the year. I then joined the furry amino so I could prove to myself I wasn't a furry. I didn't find any proof. I actually started doing rp's and writing stories and such. So now here I am.

Offline Tempest-Requiem

• Vibrating Furby
  • If you know what's going on, anything goes in art.
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Blue and Gray, with Purple head spines
  • Height: 4'8"
  • Weight: 90 lbs.
  • Build: Average-short
  • Currently: Trying and failing to beat Dark Souls 3
« Reply #1268 on: August 14, 2018, 09:00:02 PM »
Well, I have a friend who's a furry. For a while, he tried to convince me to try the whole furry thing. Not a while back, I finally said yes. Then, I realized I actually thought it was pretty neat. And so, here I am.
  • Avatar by: Photoshopped from Spriggan Requiem. Yes, a Beyblade. No, I kid you not.

Offline L4BY_

• Maze Designer // DDR Player // Coaster Enthusiast
  • Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Silver fox // Boar
  • Coloring: Mix of grey and dark grey fur with white fur on some areas, green eyes.
  • Build: Average // Can be anthro or feral
  • Currently: Probably in some arcade right now playing DDR
« Reply #1269 on: September 04, 2018, 12:49:56 PM »
1. Discovering anthropomorphic art

Before 2011, I started off as a transformation. I liked anything transformation related but liked mostly post-transformation. The idea of living a day or more in another person's, a different gerder or species and reacting to such a change fascinated me.

Some time around 2011 I decided to search up the term on-line and discovered transformation art, and later in December 2011-January 2012, through TF-art I discovered the concept of anthropomorphic animals. The concept spoke to me right away, I was amazed. So throughout 2012 I looked up anthro art on DeviantArt.

I through anthro art was just a thing artists like to draw occasionally but I didn't realise there was a community behind all of it. I even stumbled once upon a video with a fursuit parade in a furry con and didn't get it.

2. Discovering the furry community

Skip forwards to April 2013, I fell into some deep depression because I had no real friends and got cast-out by my class at school for defending an autistic guy from some bullies in my class. I was part of this online Minecraft community named CraftedMovie, one of the best MC communities servers that ever was but that only existed for two and a half years. Playing on their server felt so real it was like living a second life, better than real life.

I created this online feral fox persona and would talk to people as if I was a real fox on the CM forums. I also strongly wished I could just turn into a fox irl and leave my depressing life forever. However, change came when LupiDragon, one of the furries from CM noticed by behaviour on the forums and asked me if I was a furry.

I knew all about the term anthro but never heard the term furry. So he explained to me what the furry community is and invited me to join his group of furries from the forums. That's how I got to interact with other furries and learn more about the fandom. I sorta joined the fandom at that point.

3. Joining the fandom

In September 2013, I changed schools and went for artistic and web design studies. I made a friend on the second day, the first real life friend I ever had in 16 years, he liked to play games, a lot of Minecraft and drew stuff. We later went out to the park next door and started talking more about ourselves, our lives, etc and I told him I liked anthropomorphic art. He stopped for a second, looked at me and said "Omg, I'm also a big fan of furry art". So yeah, first friend I make at school turns out to also be a furry.

From that point onwards, I discovered a ton of furries in my school and became friends with them and that's how I got in touch with the french real life furry community.

It's funny that contrary to a lot of my french friends who discovered an interest in furry through pr0n, I started off as a sfw fur. Now I'm neutral about both "sides".

Offline ScotTheHyena_615

• Vibrating Furby
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Hyena
« Reply #1270 on: September 23, 2018, 08:36:37 PM »
I was on Pinterest and a furry image came up and I thought “oh a furry. Weird.” But my brain thought it was cool so clicked on it and looked at the related images and now here we are.

Offline Ronnya

• Vibrating Furby
  • Yo yo yo
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: Pastel purple base with white spots
  • Height: 5 foot 1 1/2
  • Build: Small with biggish build
  • Currently: Sleepy
« Reply #1271 on: October 13, 2018, 01:00:13 AM »
It’s kinda a funny story. So originally I noticed I thought that nick from Zootopia was reaaaalllyy smoking. I thought that was normal and that everyone felt that way. I soon learned what furries were, and bam, I realized that I too was a furry.  XD

Offline callisto_

• Vibrating Furby
    • Discord
    • main blog (mostly aesthetic, some art)
    • Awards
  • Species: dragon
  • Height: slightly shorter than you
  • Weight: light enough to lift
  • Build: lithe, adequately soft and squishable
  • Currently: sleepy
« Reply #1272 on: November 05, 2018, 04:45:08 AM »
ive been acutely aware of the community since around '11 when i got super invested in uhh. sonic riders zero gravity, and then the rest of the sonic fandom by extension...ended up making my way through the wares on deviantart and such. didn't properly join the fandom until a few yrs ago though, after making a slow transition from the my little pony fandom to the pokemon fandom and finally here, lmao
  • Signature art by: also me!
                             _____                 ____
_  __  ____________      ____\    \_____       ____\   |         _____
\\ \_\ \          /_____ \    \    \____\______\__    / _________\    \
       /    /____L\__,  \/    /    /    /    ,___/   /__\   _    /    /
      /    /    /   /   /    /    /    /___,    /   /   /   /   /____/
     |__________\_______\    \____\____\_______/\______/_______/____/
                         \____\---// the dragon //---

Offline Kraylan

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Western Dragon
  • Coloring: White albinism
  • Height: 14 ft
  • Weight: 2,000 lbs
  • Build: Feral
« Reply #1273 on: November 24, 2018, 09:28:16 PM »
I kinda just... Grew up as one? in the early 90s, that's all I watched on tv, Disney, Saturday morning cartoons. I just stuck with the characters I liked. Robin hood and TES had a big influence on me growing up so I suppose that's where I really got it.

Offline moonraiser

• The Nightwalker
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Poster
    • youtube
    • Awards
  • Species: Werewolf
  • Coloring: Black fur
  • Height: 6 Feet
  • Weight: 180 lbs.
  • Build: lean
« Reply #1274 on: December 26, 2018, 08:17:20 PM »
It's an interesting story. I have always loved animals growing up as a kid, but In highschool 9 years ago I stumbled upon a random youtuber with a furry profile. I saw in the comments of one of his videos someone mention he was a furry. I was curious about what a furry was, so I did some research online and one of the first results was this forum. It didn't take long to get hooked, and I have been a furry ever since.