The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How did YOU become furry? =)  (Read 126620 times)

Offline Solomon the Solitary

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Subtle but bold.
    • Awards
  • Species: Chinese/Western Dragon Hybrid.
  • Coloring: Night black with a royal purple underbelly.
  • Height: Over 7'8.
  • Weight: 300-365 pounds.
  • Build: Muscular build and a fairly curvy body.
  • Currently: Feeling confident.
Re: How did YOU become furry? =)
« Reply #1230 on: August 21, 2017, 08:07:46 PM »
I've known about fursuiting since that one episode of CSI and liked it ever since. When I got into YouTube, I looked up fursuiting videos and eventually found my way into the fandom. I also loved animated movies with animals as a kid so I imagine that helped me become a furry too! But yeah, I've been a furry since I was about 10-11 and I love it.

Offline Whisko

• Avid Aardvark
  • Genetically Altered Militant Eradication Regiment
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • De_son_genre Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Augmented Albino Arctic Fox
  • Coloring: Dull silver fur with red running down my lower jaw to tail.
  • Height: 1" 7' (5" 7')
  • Weight: 20 lbs (120 lbs)
  • Build: Fur is more silk like (more stealthy) and shorter.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Living, breathing, and currently thinking...
« Reply #1231 on: August 22, 2017, 10:14:30 PM »
Well Mr. Tylus

I have a similar story to yours actually, I was addicted to the Ratchet and Clank games, later in life I got into drawing, I sucked then but I did a ton of concept art for weapons, characters, etc. I also loved the Crash games, but not for crash but for his sister Coco, she was like me, in a way, she cares for everyone... but her PC comes first. Back to the origin, Ratchet, I love the series and playing Mass Effect made me realize you could make a complex story about anything, time goes on... I liked anthro characters then I started writing stories (Within the last year actually), then I finally decided, I will make art and embrace the facts. So I made a DA, got more into it, started using some other sites, art mostly, and like yesterday decided to join here. I have been on a chat site... but it is now infected with a ton of basic furs... once a safe site now NSFW. Anything else... nope that's my story.

I am an incomprehensible and needlessly complex soul and mind within an elaborate and intricate body. It's really quite simple, isn't it?

Offline Ev_W

• Vibrating Furby
  • Your own rules are the ones that matter.
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: Dark Electric Blue Tinted Grey Fur
  • Height: 171cm
  • Weight: 53 kg
  • Build: Small, Petite
  • Currently: Relaxing any place warm sunshine can be found!
« Reply #1232 on: September 27, 2017, 12:34:47 PM »
Well I guess it was a while back, a couple of friends of mine were already like into the fandom and such, cosplayed multiple times and I was interested and asked them all sorts of questions and not long after I realised that I had the same interest in the concept! Funniest part is, I hadn't understood what cosplay was and just sort of made up a definition and quickly realised I was dead on when I made up a definition  XD

So yeah, it was through a couple of really close friends who I believe do have accounts on here, I have yet to find them though haha  ^_^
  • Avatar by: [Commission Being Completed, Will Be Updated At Further Notice]
Message me anytime, I don't bite (much! :3)

- Evaline Winters

Offline lightstone

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • The happy ol jolly me
    • Awards
  • Species: tarwe tiger
  • Coloring: the colors of wheat bread
  • Height: 180cm
  • Weight: somewhere between 50 and 60 kg
  • Build: skinny but healthy
  • Currently: feeling really sorry
« Reply #1233 on: October 01, 2017, 08:35:34 AM »
well, my started at 7 years old in DisneyLand Paris at phantom manor/haunted mansion. In the line after the elevator with those expanding paintings there was a hallway with diffrent paintings and one got my intrest, a painting with a "hot woman" changing into a cat sometimes and i found the cat one to be more atractibe then the human from memory it was this one  ^_^
Afbeeldingsresultaat voor phantom manor painting cat-woman
so yesterday I thought of these moments and thought: 'what if im a furry?' i recently heard the term furry for my first time so started doing research, i lokkedup the defenition and it said that a furry is someone who is enthusiactic about animals with human-like traits, this is where i joined the forum and started asking questions here. Here i heard that a furry is indeed someone enthusiactic about anthropomorphic animals and not every furry has a fursuit or fursona. And thts when i relized im a furry :3
not a signature

Offline Foxet

• Vibrating Furby
  • Don't worry , just be a furry
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/Wolf hybrid
  • Coloring: Orange and white. Also green.
  • Height: 5,7
  • Weight: N/A
  • Build: Skinny/average
  • Currently: Just got to this furry thing and i'm open for people guiding me ;D
« Reply #1234 on: October 31, 2017, 07:04:58 PM »
I'm not entirely sure where it all began, but after hearing the term "furry" being used i researched the topic. And as i like roleplaying, i instantly started to create my own fursona. And i guess that's why i'm here now. I'm kind new to this furry stuff.  ^_^
  • Signature art by: Me
I couldn't think of a thing to write

Offline Giordan Tigerness

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Snow Leopard
  • Coloring: White, light grey
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 190
  • Build: Toned
« Reply #1235 on: November 20, 2017, 05:02:39 PM »
A few years ago I woke up with a new idea for a short story that centered around a teenager, sort of a coming of age theme but with a twist; she was an anthro snow leopardess. In my imagination she was much like any other confused teen who felt the world was black and white, her parents didn't understand her, etc. Not good enough for a story; she needed a challenge! Her parents were the king and queen of an entire planet with control over a few others in a galaxy that has thousands of sentient races. Hmm. Still need a challenge! Catessa finds herself in a rather heated argument with her parents after sneaking out one too many times and they punish her by sending her on a trip of sorts with her guardian (Giordan Carriden, yes I blended the names). Neither of them expect to end up on earth. Well, she does while he kicks back in orbit and watches her struggles to learn that life is dangerous, has consequences, and that learning to purr can be scary but good... And these cats only purr for one thing.... (ahem)

Cut forward 4.5 books in the series, countless hunting the interweb to find their likeness in art (I can't draw my way out of a paper bag), several of those sketches on my cube at work... I recently got accused of being a furry and while I made Yip Yip costumes for Halloween a few years ago those don't count. Thusly accused I start doing some basic research, then more and more until I realized that yes, I'm  furry owned by two real cats, and that I'm going my homework to design full fursuits for Anthrocon (6months is good, right?), etc.

I guess Thats how I ended up in here and so far so good.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:10:24 PM by Giordan Tigerness »
Author of the Catessa Tigerness series

Offline Cal Bluepaws

• Avid Aardvark
  • Railfan Tiger
    • CaliRailfan - The Official Website
    • Awards
« Reply #1236 on: December 12, 2017, 12:14:58 AM »
Yes, I know I've posted here already, but I've discovered more about myself and besides, when I made that first post here, I had a LOT less knowledge of the fandom, and the post was only about a month from when I really got involved with the fandom. So, I've decided that it's a good idea to post again, to make more sense about what really happened, and why I really am a furry. I'll present it in a sort of timeline-type thing:

Pre-Furry:

Small Child (Younger than 5 years):
     (No memory of this)

Young Child (6 to 9 years):
     I began drawing animals that looked like humans, but I had better things to do (like video games)

Almost Teen (10 to 12 years):

I began becoming interested in anthropomorphic characters, and my Minecraft skin was now a tiger.

Teenager (13-14 years):
     I found the term "furry" but only used it to describe the anthropomorphic characters. Later, Zootopia comes out and I go and watch it, regarding it as one of the best movies I've ever seen. I do a Google search on the term "furry" and these forums come up.

I become a part of the furry fandom at 14 years old, on February 8th, 2017 thanks to The Furry Forums.

February to March 2017
     I begin getting involved with the fandom.

April - August 2017
     Interest in fandom deepens.

September - November 2017
     I take a temporary break from my involvement for a while...

December 2017
     I suddenly get deeply involved with the fandom once again, my parents say they will take me on a trip to Califur, and here we are today...

That's pretty much how it's been. Have a nice day  :)
I am an INTP, meaning that I am part of approx. 3% of the world's population.

Check out Chiku! They're pretty great!

Offline Momma Bird

• Avid Aardvark
  • Sleep comes quick with hot cocoa and a blanket.
    • Awards
  • Species: Crow
  • Coloring: Blue and white.
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: 140 lbs.
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Contemplating the perplexity of complex metallurgy that is my paper clip.
« Reply #1237 on: December 21, 2017, 01:09:31 PM »
Well, it all started 15 years ago. I had to travel to Japan to find a monk. Not just any monk, but a furry monk. I trained and trained, it was hard and rigours work. He told me I could quit at any time, but I would regret it for life if I did. So I continued my training, even though everyday I just wanted to quit.

Then, one faithful day, I had earned my furry powers. The student surpassed the master. And I returned home, not a new person, but a fully reborn furry.

And I lived happily ever after.

Offline Aveq

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger
  • Coloring: Grey fur
  • Height: A bit smaller than average
  • Currently: Feel free to message me if you wanna chat!
« Reply #1238 on: January 03, 2018, 06:20:54 AM »
I knew of furries from a while back and thought they looked cute but probably 2 years after discovering of their existence I joined a furry forum for teenagers and just followed my bf here a couple years later.
wibblewobble

Offline s0ul_d3ww

• Avid Aardvark
  • Whatever.
    • Global PokédeX Plus
    • Awards
  • Species: Rat/Robot Hybrid.
  • Coloring: Solid dark gray.
  • Height: ???
  • Weight: ???
  • Build: Bit chubby, bulky with robotic parts.
  • Currently: I'm doing okay.
« Reply #1239 on: January 04, 2018, 04:11:52 AM »
Hm. I was a huge Sonic nerd so my Sonic O.C eventually became my fursona. Also, I'm pretty sure that Robin Hood had something to do with it too. Regardless, I always liked furry creatures so I just became a furry.

Offline Corran Orreaux

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #1240 on: January 04, 2018, 07:33:01 AM »
Me becoming a furry was somewhat interwoven with me discovering my sexuality. In the middle of my whole crises between my current religion (Baptist) thing and finding out I had an attraction to guys... played a bit of FFX on my ps2 and found I felt the same way about Kimahri that I did with (don't laugh) Mel Gibson in the first Lethal weapon. 

Offline Misfit-Mongrel

• Avid Aardvark
  • graymuzzle and part porcupine
    • Fur Affinity
    • Blessings
    • Awards
  • Species: dog
« Reply #1241 on: January 18, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »
I was raised on the Walt Kelly comic strip Pogo.

So the idea of critters running around acting like people was normal to me.

Add to that a strong canine connection. The furry community felt like home.

Avatar by Lunakia (http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/lunakia/)

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.
— Francis Bacon

Jenny ♥

« Reply #1242 on: February 04, 2018, 08:10:45 PM »
When I was in primary school my teachers came up with animalized humans and humanized animals. The pictures attracted me a lot because I as a therianthrope feel pretty much the way my fursona looks like. I wanted to know more about it. It was in June 2006 when we got these. Sadly, I didn't have an own internet connection then. On March 10th 2007 I got a laptop with internet connection. Finally a way to find out more about it. But I couldn't find anything about these pictures. I didn't even know how to use that stupid thing. Someday (two days later), I wanted to know if I was the only one feeling not entirely human. I typed into the Google search bar "I feel like an animal" and came to the side ask.me where someone brought up the term "therianthropy". That was the day when I joined the therian community. A little bit more than year later I got to know someone who used similar pictures as the one we got from our teachers. He explained "furry" to me, linked up some sides etc. I joined on the 14th of February 2008. :)

Offline Mistaffity

• Vibrating Furby
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Coyote
  • Coloring: Brown fur coloration
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Build: Chubby
« Reply #1243 on: February 09, 2018, 02:40:18 PM »
I've been into anthro animals for a really long time. I can remember that as far back as when I was 3 years old. I came across the fandom at the age of 10.

Offline MaverickTheFur

• Avid Aardvark
  • Female sona, male irl
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Zangoose
  • Coloring: Light grey, cyan and crimson with a light greenish blue shine over whole body.
  • Height: 4'3"
  • Weight: 91lbs
  • Build: Chubby Pear
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: existing
« Reply #1244 on: March 09, 2018, 02:29:50 AM »
I've always liked anthropomorphic animals, and I've loved animals for the longest time. I just became a furry one day (After I found out all furries weren't just people who dressed up in fursuits).

So that's why.

:dapper:
"Bisexuals = fabulous"
             - Winged Zephyr, 2018
Sonas and Characters: https://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=38784

Pet's name: Belyn
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!