The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How did YOU become furry? =)  (Read 127044 times)

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
Re: How did YOU become furry? =)
« Reply #1215 on: March 25, 2017, 05:36:36 AM »
i was told that I was probably a furry from a friend based on what I liked.  And here I thought I was unique, lol.
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket

Offline Boubalos

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • The Boubamoo of Legend
    • Awards
  • Species: Tauren/Minotaur/Bull
  • Coloring: Deep red
  • Height: 7'10"
  • Weight: 750 lbs
  • Build: Muscular, bulky
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #1216 on: March 26, 2017, 02:26:31 AM »
I don't know when I started. I am a furry and also a scalie, but mostly into bovine as my fursona anyway. I'd say I really got into it to the degree I am now after doing roleplay on World of Warcraft as a tauren for several years. I wasn't very good and tended to use Boubalos as a self-insert/ideal. So much so that it got to the point where Boubalos just became my Fursona.

Offline Blaiiine

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Psilocybear
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Grizzly Bear
  • Coloring: Dark brown overall
  • Height: 6' 0".
  • Weight: 172 lbs.
  • Build: Average build.
  • Currently: Keeping the Spirit of 2073 alive
« Reply #1217 on: March 26, 2017, 05:28:02 AM »
I know I already posted here but my reasons for becoming a furry have pretty much changed since I was an obnoxious teen.

I really never had a major interest in anthropomorphic animals until I read some webcomics (Better Days, Good Cheese, etc) but even then I wasn't exactly interested in the anthro part of it.

However I did notice a lot of great artists, writers and a strong community. Even if you weren't an artist or a writer, you were still somewhat valued amongst your peers. And while the whole cringe side of the fandom made me bail for a while, the community brought me back. I've met a lot of dope people through the fandom and this forum more specifically.

TL;DR
Cool people brought me in, weird people ran me out, cool people brought me back.
A   P S Y C H E D E L I C   B O I

Offline cedarr

• Vibrating Furby
  • who
    • Fur Affinity
    • My Tumblr
    • Awards
  • Species: Unicorn
  • Coloring: Buckskin
  • Build: Awkward
  • Currently: a fursona update has occured
« Reply #1218 on: March 29, 2017, 04:37:30 PM »
I was a furry as a teenager because of a Lion King obsession. Never really considered joining deviantart because an artist that made TLK art I liked was FA and their own website only. I was also a huuugggee fan of Goldenwolfen's art, still am.

Took so long to decide a fursona that I ended up on hiatus from the fandom almost 10 years. Finally decided so I'm back. I was also run out of the fandom by some unsavory callout crew types. Never had a callout directly but they targeted one of my pals for no reason so I wasn't happy about it. I'll take awkward weirdo furries over that any day lol.

Aside from that I enjoy a lot of outdoorsy stuff and I've found a significant number of other furries that do. I'm involved in my college's Outdoor Club and like to share those experiences. Furries are mainly a cross section of a lot of communities I'm already involved in.

Offline Keldeowarrior

• Avid Aardvark
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Blue and White
  • Height: 4tft9
  • Weight: 60kg
  • Build: A slight build
  • Currently: A bit stressed
« Reply #1219 on: April 17, 2017, 09:37:49 PM »
Word of warning this very long
I have always liked anthropomorphic animals whether it was on cartoons or in magazines I loved it. I loved to draw them and loved to look at pictures of them. This was from about 2007 onwards 8 year old me. Fast forward another 4 or 5 years 12-13 year old me, in school I started to hear people mention the word furry (it would only be me catching a snippet of a conversation or something along those lines) i had no idea what is was at the time and decided to look it up and found that it was a bunch of people who dressed up like animals and gathered in groups (i didn't really understand the concept of conventions at this time) i didn't look any further than that at the time. fast forward another year or so and I recall one of my friends telling me to type in yiff on google images but i could tell that by their faces and their giggling it was probably a bad idea so i refused but i had to leave my computer to talk with a teacher and came back to a bunch of naked human/animal images on my computer the page of which i promptly closed. I did not proceed to look it up again (how innocent was I eh?) Fast forward another 2 years, 16 year old me almost finished school and I'm watching youtube videos and again I hear the phrase "furry" mentioned and it being some time since I'd heard the word and not really getting what It meant I proceeded to look it up and found out that furries were people who liked to dress up in fursuits, suits that usually depict a fursona which is a animal identity they give themselves and these "furries" come together at conventions. I also found various articles talking about furries in a very negative way that they dress up in fursuits and have sex at cons and shit like that and was like "woah woah woah this doesn't sound good at all" and I had a very weird idea of what furries were like. I did see various articles talking about these accusations as misinterpretations and the media taking things out of context for publicity. I had a mixed view of furries at this point but again i did not look much further. Fast forward to this year, about a week ago in fact I came across the term again and one thing led to another and I eventually found the furry sub-reddit. The people seemed very nice and were not how alot of news articles depicted them. After pondering stuff over in my head i decided to watch some furry related youtube videos and came to the conclusion, I am one of these people I want to be part of this.
Long story short some time after I found the subreddit I came across a post from a new furry saying hello to everyone and decided to make a post of a similar fashion and now I am officially a furry.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 10:22:32 PM by Keldeowarrior »
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong" -Ghandi

Offline kylethefox

• Dancing Dragon
  • Its been so long XD
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: fox
  • Coloring: classic fox colors
  • Height: 6.2
  • Weight: 130 (i am pretty skinny!)
  • Build: small muscles (but i know martial arts!)
  • Currently: bored, im free to talk about anything!! (seriously anything!!)
« Reply #1220 on: April 18, 2017, 03:06:25 AM »
you like keldeo eh? i like him to! ^_^

Offline max snow

• Melodious Mouse
    • Awards
  • Species: arctic wolf
  • Coloring: Grey
  • Height: 5"7
  • Weight: 10stone
  • Build: Lean
  • Currently: Glad to be different
« Reply #1221 on: April 18, 2017, 04:53:31 PM »
Well I first came across the more adult side of furries but then I looked around and did some googling and found out that it is more of a community that was around 6 months ago XP

Offline Keldeowarrior

• Avid Aardvark
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Blue and White
  • Height: 4tft9
  • Weight: 60kg
  • Build: A slight build
  • Currently: A bit stressed
« Reply #1222 on: April 18, 2017, 06:07:55 PM »
you like keldeo eh? i like him to! ^_^

Nice! :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:09:45 PM by anoni, Reason: Please do not word-pad (in this case using an emoticon as your second word) ยป »
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong" -Ghandi

Offline TenOfSwords

• Boisterous Bear
  • Life has been going waaaaaaaay to fast recently.
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Badger
  • Coloring: Black/white
  • Height: Tall-ish
  • Weight: Very light
  • Build: Skinny
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #1223 on: April 24, 2017, 04:03:22 PM »
Okey, I don't think I've posted about it in here yet, and if I had, I forgot about it.

I feel like I've been a furry for longer than I think I have been. I only classified myself as "Furry" in the middle of last year. Before that, I was almost certainly furry; each Elder Scrolls game I played, my race would be Khajiit, my favourite fictional character of all time is Tails (from the Sonic franchise), and I felt really close to nature. Last year was me just looking at all the puzzle pieces and assembling them in the correct order.

Offline Milks Justice

• Vibrating Furby
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Mileks (Custom Species)
  • Coloring: White White and White.
  • Build: SOFT AND PUFF PUFF
  • Currently: Dead.
« Reply #1224 on: April 28, 2017, 06:34:33 PM »
The magic of FnaF. I used to be really into the games, and I was searching up costumes and whatnot. I later found out about 'Fursuits' and watched a shit load of fursuit videos. I found out about furries later, and was like: 'Hey thats pretty cool!" th end

Offline Inactive123

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #1225 on: May 12, 2017, 12:11:08 AM »
when I was a kid I had a CRAZY obsession with cartoons and I loved anthro cartoons as well (Care Bears and Sonic the hedgehog mostly but there were others) I didn't start in the furry fandom until about October but it has been a fun ride let me tell you!!  ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Offline Valegretto

• Vibrating Furby
  • The miracle never HAPPEN
    • Awards
  • Species: Penguin
  • Coloring: Black and white
  • Height: 1.73
  • Weight: 72 Kg
  • Build: Average
« Reply #1226 on: May 15, 2017, 06:09:57 PM »
I can't remember very well, it was a long time ago, i always loved animals and nature, one day i made an account in deviant art and before i could even know what a furry is, i was already one

Offline Dazed

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Not real
    • Awards
  • Species: Raptor
« Reply #1227 on: May 30, 2017, 03:35:07 PM »
I played alot of the elder scrolls. Morrowind, daggerfall, oblivion, skyrim, etc. Only played argonian. Didnt discover the fandom through that but i joined it via.

I consider my actual joining is when i went onto a very specific forum for teenagers.

Offline SoushieChan

• Vibrating Furby
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Cabbit
  • Coloring: Light Brown - Brown - Pink
  • Height: 5'2"
  • Weight: 110 lbs
  • Build: Pear Built
« Reply #1228 on: June 03, 2017, 03:40:16 AM »
I have always liked animal cartoons and always enjoyed anthro arts more than anything else but didn't know about furries until I joined Second Life in 2005.

Offline Daon Knight

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox-Wolf Hybrid
« Reply #1229 on: June 30, 2017, 04:50:25 AM »
Ever since I was very very little I liked to play as some form of humanoid cat not knowing anything about it.  As I got older I found the beloved thing called the internet where I found out more about what it all was. In my mind I was always some sort of animal or male.  After finding all this out it made me realize I was a furry lol

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk