The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Obscura Railroad (Open // Sign - Up and OOC thread)  (Read 5674 times)

Offline Keinai

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Woof.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf (not pure-blooded)
  • Coloring: Pure white, with a gray tail tip. One yellow and one blue eye.
  • Height: 5'7 in anthro form
  • Weight: A healthy 107 lbs.
  • Build: Slender, but muscular. Defining feminine features but not over-the-top.
  • Currently: Feeling a lot better. ^-^
The Obscura Railroad (Open // Sign - Up and OOC thread)
« on: October 27, 2015, 02:20:16 AM »
All The Details
Spoiler for Hidden:
It never occurs to you where you find yourself.
The sun never warms our hides and the sky often weeps for our existence. You pad hurriedly down a stretch of abandoned rails; lichens and old pitch cling to the rough bleeding flesh of your paws. The early mist of arriving rain already clinging to your prickling pelt- hairs standing like quills in response to your fear. This is when you see a slick black form like floating tar coming in your direction, sprinting down the rail southbound, as you face the north. "Be quiet, my dear. We've been waiting a long time for you. Follow me and live in brotherhood and comfort. Fear yourself no more." She whispers, parted lips suddenly just inches from your own maw. You are lost, hungry and somehow deeply anticipated by the single most peculiar race in this region.
What's your response?

--

Our Story

Spoiler for Hidden:
A lot of unpleasant things happen here, things that in your world would not be talked about. In this dreary forest hidden from comfort, monsters crawl beside the monarchs. Watch your paws, be careful where you place them...it's easy to upset the balance in this realm. There is everything to go wrong.

We live here by will...loving always and always finding irony in our endeavors...such as murder with grace and starvation with purpose. The mother we share believed in a higher knowledge, a richer format of living with the idea of dauntlessness. She believed that our souls live forever in the memory of our obscurities therefore she nourished the strange. Each with a personality like the spiderweb, ever lasting and carefully designed with no prior knowledge of construction. Join us, share our mother. Be odd, and let your body flourish.

--

Creed

Spoiler for Hidden:
No one shall slay my spirit.
I am obscure; my mother is my faith, my father is my god.
 I shall always express respect, even in haste.
I am obscure; my mother is my story and my father is my voice.
I'll never spill innocent blood without suffering.
I am obscure; my mother is my glory, my father is my gore.
The secrets I keep come with the promise of reason, slander is punishable by death.
I am obscure; my mother is my home, my father is my future.
I am an artist, let no storm put out the flame of my desire for eternal legacy,
I'll live by my love, battle with my wits and defend tooth and claw for these peculiarities.
All strangers are welcome to be judged.

--

Hierarchy

Spoiler for Hidden:
Alphess(1/1)~ Arcanum

Alpha(0/1)~ Jacob

Mothers(Unlim.)~ Maylien

Fathers(Unlim.)~ Cecil

Thetess(0/1)~

Theta(0/1)~ Warden

Deltas(0/4)~

The Children(Unlim.)~

Thieves(Unlim.)~ Ko

Grimes(Unlim.)~

Explanations
Note: Though there is zero power struggle, females are put on a higher pedestal than males for they are believed to be the more complicated, therefore more valuable sex of the two, for mystery is cherished in the customs.

Alphess(1)~ The female leader of Obscura, oversees major actions. Her main role is to keep the electricity flowing and advertise fertility with celebrations in spring and joy with each birth.

Alpha(1)~ Being the strength of the pack, it is the alpha's role to maintain a strong heart, representing control and ambition, along with providing and example of what both compassion and violence looks like. As any male, the alpha is also sworn to protect the alphess's heart and physical perfection, as she is untouched by any other...a virgin until her happy wed.

Mothers(Unlim.)~ Those who have reigned, or have bore more than six offspring (still or living). Generally, the mothers are older members who display proud feminism and they often are the main informers of Obscura, teaching all the younger members about mating, parenting, heat, death and gratitude. The mothers also are the females with the strongest maternal instincts, therefore whelps may also nurse from the mothers- nursing is a powerful ritual, being the source of nutrition and life.

Fathers(Unlim.)~ The fathers are also generally older members. They show how to nicely combine pride with modesty, strength with empathy, and how to love one's self as well as how to stay humble. Usually war heroes, fathers may also be ex alphas. Fathers are also the main story tellers, teaching of constellations.

Thetess(1)~ The thetess leads hunting parties, prayers for kills along with helping define battle strategies. The thetess plays the role as would our idea of Artemis, with the fathers' advisory.

Theta(1)~ Like Apollo, the theta leads all acts of violence with guidance from the fathers. Any battle, brawl, war, scrap or even an argument is managed and ultimately ruled by the theta.

Deltas(4)~ The deltas provide help and assistance to the thetas and alphas.  They are the worker bees, though their main job is usually maintaining the health of the mothers and fathers, as both alphas and both thetas are generally younger than the mothers and fathers therefore more independent.

The Children(Unlim.)~ The children are the life blood of Obscura, being the most numerous members. They carry out daily tasks with little disturbance, displaying happiness, obedience and comfort.

Thieves(Unlim.)~ The thieves are still welcomed, believe it or not...but live under separate conditions on the territorial outskirts. Thieves though have a very important job, but are low ranking because they can be quickly replaced, and there is always a long line for the position, as rogues seek such a place. Many new members not of Obscura blood are placed here, but eventually move up if they prove their worth. Thieves are like guards, maintaining the territory and stealing from other territories, other creatures and humans. Thieves also help maintain the general habitat, weeding out foreign plants and spreading floral seeds. Thieves are generally the most artistic, yet the most unreliable and least sociable.

Grimes(Unlim.)~ Being the lowest ranking members, Grimes are frowned upon even by thieves. Grimes are of the shadiest and cruelest members- two qualities of which are not desirable oddities. Usually put to this rank as punishment, grimes can work their way up the ladder again over time...but are typically unwanted for their filthy, cruel and crass nature...however, they do serve a purpose. In turn for their services such as dung, scraps and pest management, grimes will always be guaranteed equal food and shelter.

--

Mandatory Rules and Regulations

Spoiler for Hidden:
1. I own this thread, and I request that you all not argue with one-another or me. You'll receive one warning for this before you're kicked  depending on the severity.

2. Enjoy yourself! True, I will not tolerate arguing, but I strongly encourage friendly collaboration and fun. We're all here to write, so be kind. If you're not enjoying yourself, you may politely PM me recommendations, questions, and problems. There isn't any reason for you to be here if it isn't fun.

3. I'll be able to tell if you don't read my rules...I'm no fool. If you have a question or cross a line that was fairly explained here, then I'll ask you to reference back here. These rules are mandatory.

4. Now, I have been encouraged to be a bit more lenient. I certainly will be since this is a democratic thread. Sure, I am the empress of the world but I'm fair :)  just don't abuse your leeway please.

5. This is a mature, advanced, integrated, interesting and diverse thread. Anything goes. There is no content that is against my rules other than content that directly hurts, offends, or harasses another player or against the roleplaying rules of the forum. I will not tolerate bullying. I will always intervene. If I feel you are being out of line or obsessive, I'll make the decision to kick you from the thread. I am responsible for the occurrences here and the well being of my players since I own and run this thread. If you need anything at all, do not hesitate to ask me for some changes through PM. Violent and explicit language and content is allowed here, but requires a warning so that players who are not interested in reading may skip over. Spoilers work well for this too. This thread is not intended for hateful or overtly sexual themes, and is not over-the-top in gore. I trust that if you write mature content, then you're mature enough to handle it. Though it may come up within reason, inappropriateness is not what this thread is for. There is a time and a place for everything. This is the most important rule and I'll refer to it often. Thank you.

6. Rule number six is a rule containing the usual no-nos;  no two-person flooding, don't be inconsiderate of others who may or may not be on, no prejudice, and no surprise plots. All major plots are pre-discussed or in some way or another, brought up.

7. There is no specific number of days that you can/cannot be gone, because I know we all have real lives other than this pleasant world of the creative. However, if it is over 46 hours that you are not present, do not expect us to wait for your return. My one rule in this area is that you warn me/the other players if you are to be absent for any significant amount of time. This is to be courteous. If you want/have to permanently leave then we will just not give your character any mind anymore if you do not kill them off yourself.

8. Because this is an advanced thread, I welcome you ALL to share new "word-of-the-day" finds if you come across one, I encourage you all to correct spelling/grammar mistakes as soon as you notice them. I even invite you to (politely) correct me if the need/opportunity arises. I'm still human, I make mistakes too. However, do not rudely point out another person's mistake if it is just a little something like a spelling error.

9. Any species is welcome, but please keep in mind that animal's limitations. For instance, a shark may not be able to run fast, but it very well may be a remarkable swimmer.

10. Finally, a maximum of three characters is allowed per person. Just make sure you can give them all some love. :)

--

Other Guidelines

Mature THEMES are permitted, but no content. You may imply something but that doesn't mean writing it out, even if it's in a spoiler. This only pertains to extreme content, however violence and a few heated moments will only have to be put in spoilers.

Player/Character Application Form

Spoiler for Hidden:
Code: [Select]

[font=andale mono]
[b][u]Player Information[/u][/b]
[i]*Only need to fill out for the first character*[/i]
[b]Screen Name~[/b]
[b]Why are you interested in joining?~[/b]
[b]What gender character do you generally RP?~[/b][u]

[b]Character Information[/b][/u]
[img]INSERT IMAGE HERE[/img]
[b]Name~[/b]
[b]Sex~[/b]
[b]Species~[/b]
[b]Age~[/b]
[b]Desired Rank~[/b]
[b]Visual Details~[/b]
[b]Obscurities~ (ex. What brought your character here? What makes him/her/it so strange? What stands out in particular? What would you like us to keep in mind?)[/b]
[b]Personality~ (NO "Meet Me"s. Must include effort! This is my favorite part!)[/b]
[b]History~ (Mandatory if they weren't born into the pack[)[/b]
[b]Role Play Sample~ (Mandatory for all ranks)[/b]
[/font]

Other Threads

Post Merge: October 27, 2015, 03:29:15 AM

Player Information
*Only need to fill out for the first character*
Screen Name~ FaolinWolf
Why are you interested in joining?~ Well, I established this thread so it would only make sense...
What gender character do you generally RP?~ I usually role play female characters, though I have had some very successful male characters.

Character Information

Name~ Arcanum (means 'Mystery' in Latin)

Sex~ Female
Age~ 22 years.

Visual Details~ Arcanum is very thin, with a long feline-like frame and a slender muzzle. Each paw petite, equipped with remarkably long claws. Her structure is built for speed, not warfare. She's also this most sought-after dame within the pack, as she is the untamed and untouched alphess, after all. Her eyes are a brilliant shade of cold silver, making her look perfect aside from her half-ear. One day after consulting with a thief, another thief had come up behind and attempted to hurt her, clamping down on her right ear for a grip. She bucked, throwing her head down, thus, ripping off her ear. Arcanum managed to make it out quickly, though she never made a formal accusation of the incident.

Obscurities~ What makes Arcanum so incredibly odd is that she is always collected. Her composure astounds many, for there is little that can disturb her. Because of this, harm is drawn to Arcanum like moths to a flame, all too seduced by the inability to torment her. The fathers could tell you numerous grotesque stories of her upbringing and how sick it should have made her...and yet, she continues to go on with a welcoming, sly and polite attitude.

Personality~ Arcanum truly suits her title as there is no greater mystery than her pitch-black and ever on leading heart. Many have already tried to achieve her flower and love...even as she is young, but somehow, (though she always seems interested) they walk away, all with dignities scarred. Even then, all she can do is display that same, attractive yet eerie smile that suggests she could not possibly be guilty of such calamities. Not that she's a sadist by any means, but Arcanum is virtually untouchable, as most just simply aren't interesting or strange enough for her. Disaster comes begging for her attention every so often, and by how quickly and expressionlessly she deals with it, horror is nothing more than the every day rain her pack experiences. One would suppose this odd behavior is to show mental strength...but another could easily argue that she isn't mentally sound at all, and her exotic serenity is just a beautiful result of insanity.

History~ Though she never speaks of it, for Arcanum apparently prefers to always remain in the present, you can always ask the fathers for the tales of her upbringing and they'll share with you the following. "The alphess hmm? Ah yes, lovely Arcanum. She wasn't born here...for a long time, nobody was. She had no particular ties to our religion, creed, or passed alphas...but one day she just sort of...wandered in and literally sat down. Being just a bitty little whelp, nobody found themselves in haste when she trespassed. Though she never stayed permanently...Arcanum would always come at dawn, then just sit and watch us with those same amused, cunning little eyes that she keeps now, as though she were conspiring something great. I remember though...that as she grew, Arcanum's physical health dwindled as the days passed. She appeared to be starving and beaten, sometimes her paws and stilts were bent in unnatural ways and her lips were often split. Sometimes vertebrae stuck out along her spine, and sometimes her tear ducts were bleeding. Arcanum never acknowlaged this, and for some reason...nobody ever asked her. Day in and day out Arcanum would come and go without a word, somehow immune to her own injuries, always evidently pleased to see us. There was one day though, that she wasn't so capable of going about her regular business. This was on her second birthday, the day she had become a dame, rather than a lass. Arcanum wordlessly dragged herself back into our territory appearing as though she'd just barely escaped something, though her injuries proved other wise. We fathers realized how lucky...or smart she was. Arcanum let my father in on her story, a tale not even I will disclose. Three days later, he died, and she joined us with a new determination that we didn't recognize. That third day was also the day Arcanum began to speak again."

Desired Rank~ Alphess

Role Play Sample~ "Hush sweet thing, close your lips and look at me." She commanded, and the whelp did as he was told as she held him between her front stilts. "In don't want to know why you're weeping. It has already been done, and whatever it is, it no longer matters." She assured him, and though the words would have otherwise seemed cold, her tone was milky and sweet. The whelp fed into this eagerly and nodded, chirping sounds of glee as he nestled into her chest. Arcanum raised her head again, peering outside of her lonely den at the mothers, and envying them. She vowed that one day, she'd be one. Arcanum knew she'll belong there, where she could nurse and teach all the whelps the proper way of handling themselves, instead of having to steal one from a sleeping mother now and then. "Archy?" Cooed the little creature, jerking her attention back down to him. "Yes?"..."I want to wed you." He said, through muffled lips as drowsiness set in. "Everyone does. I'm afraid you'll have to try harder." She answered. Apparently, the whelp though she was just teasing him and he coughed, giggled and dozed off. Ear pinned in curiosity, Arcanum realized she failed to express her own seriousness. "Count the sheep now, little one." The alphess murmured finally, setting down her own head, putting at ease her ever spinning mind.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:30:01 AM by FaolinWolf »

Offline Cecilia Peromi

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • Squeak!
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Mouse
  • Coloring: Purple and white
  • Height: 5 foot 4
  • Weight: 170 lbs
  • Build: Slim
Re: The Obscura Railroad (Open // Sign - Up and OOC thread)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 11:01:19 AM »
(Cecil is still a Father, I fixed his age so he fits in better with the position.)

Player Information
*Only need to fill out for the first character*
Screen Name~Cecil Jacobs
Why are you interested in joining?~This just sounds like an amazing rp.
What gender character do you generally RP?~Male

Character Information

Name~Cecil Jacobs
Sex~Male
Species~Mouse
Age~40
Desired Rank~Father
Visual Details~White fur, young complexion
Obscurities~Cecil has the unnatural ability to control mirrors and use their power to do a wide variety of things. He can create portals, duplicate himself and objects, and other powers he has discovered throughout his life
Personality~Cecil is wise, but young. He loves to help others and he tries his best to teach the children important values. However, he doesn't know everything and sometimes makes mistakes.
History~Cecil came to the pack when he was young, he has risen through the ranks and is proud to be a Father.
Role Play Sample~"What do you want!?" A young Cecil asks the black mass in front of him. "It is ok child, you once were lost but now you are found." The blackness says, a slender, black hand then reaches out and touches Cecil's forehead. He becomes calm. "You are my child Cecil, here is where you belong. You are Obscure."

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:19:47 PM by Cecil Jacobs »
Oh woof

Offline Keinai

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Woof.
    • Awards
  • Build: Slender, but muscular. Defining feminine features but not over-the-top.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 11:36:42 AM »
Thanks a lot. ^^

Offline Jacob Hail

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • The one and only fantastic Mr Grayfox
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Grayfox
  • Coloring: Normal color and markings of a grayfox, save for the right ear which is all orange
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: 130ish
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: The grayest fox
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 01:44:02 PM »
What time period does this take place in?
Thats it! Your flesh is now forfit to the impending doom down yonder in the horse fields!

Offline Keinai

• Dancing Dragon
  • Woof.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 07:57:39 PM »
Technically in the modern era, but they're so far from human contact they're still stuck in a group/territory arrangement with surrounding areas of the wilderness. More feral than human, they are.

Offline Naval

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online
  • *Sounds of crunching seashells*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Garthim
  • Coloring: Oynx with shine over the exoskeleton, muddy brown hairs, with royal purple eyes.
  • Height: 6.7ft
  • Weight: 270lbs
  • Build: Bulky and bumpy, with a top heavy build.
  • Currently: Looking for a crystal... maybe one that has a darker color.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 08:22:12 PM »
This looks cool, but I'm not sure if I can do this well...hmmmm...I post my charcter sheet later.
  • Avatar by: A picture from Google.
You know the greatest thing I can feel, is the feeling that when I have helped someone. That memory and act of kindness helps to mold them into something great. That thought, that feeling can't be beat. - This guy.

Offline Keinai

• Dancing Dragon
  • Woof.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 08:34:41 PM »
If you're not sure, think about it before posting. That way I can keep track of who's truly joining and not get confused.

Offline Cecilia Peromi

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • Squeak!
    • Discord
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 08:38:42 PM »
It is a little intimidating, but don't worry Rasha. I'm sure you'll do fine, and we'll have lots of fun together.
Oh woof

Offline Keinai

• Dancing Dragon
  • Woof.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 08:54:31 PM »
Also, Cecil, delete your form on the thread before you begin roleplaying.  :P

Offline Cecilia Peromi

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Squeak!
    • Discord
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 09:07:27 PM »
Ok, that's the preview thread right?
Oh woof

Offline Keinai

• Dancing Dragon
  • Woof.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 09:14:11 PM »
Yeah, I just edited it so only the crucial info was on the RP thread, such as rules, the ranks, and ranks explained. May or may not have a link to the OOC thread still... if it doesn't just use the banner in my signature to get to it.

Offline Cecilia Peromi

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Squeak!
    • Discord
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 09:58:15 PM »
I've deleted the post. Now hopefully we can get more people to join.
Oh woof

Offline Tina

• Kuddly Kitten
  • People have put me down, but i get right back up.
    • Awards
  • Species: Kobold
  • Coloring: Brown
  • Height: 3 ft
  • Weight: 65 pounds
  • Build: Pretty pudgy
  • Currently: Feeling hungry.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 10:29:42 PM »
Player Information
Screen Name: Talia Garrison
Why are you interested in joining?

I have never really done an advanced serious rp and I want to give it a try. I also really like the story concept and think it be fun to do.

What gender character do you generally rp?

I generally do female character in an rp but I like to experiment sometimes with male characters.

Character Information

Name: Maylien Varsine
Sex: female
Species: fennec
Desired Rank: Mother
Visual Details: She is a fennec fox with long blonde hair, blue eyes and is six months pregnant with her 8th child. She appears middle aged and she tends to wear a long red, sleeveless dress that is loose fitting so it doesn't restrict her belly.
Obscurities~ she has weird eating habits and will sometimes eat random things without thinking.
Personality~ Maylien is kind and caring and does her best to make sure everyone feels happy even in the worst situations. She often tries to find a diplomatic solution to most things and hates conflict. However she knows when a firm hand is needed and can be actually quite scary when she needs to be.
History~ Maylien was born and raised in the pact and has bore 6 children as well as an 8th who is on its way. She always loved children and grew up wanting to be just like her mother. She studied the process well and even took some medical training to learn how a to help a women give birth. As soon as she turned 18 she starteid down the path to be a mother having child after child in a span of  year in between births. When she turned 24 she had given birth to six children, all of them healthy and she was able to care for each one with remarkable effectiveness. She was allowed to be a mother and is still capable of giving birth, although she has decided to take it slow. Her mate is a Theta wolf named Warden Varsine, who has helped her give birth to all her children. All six children have moved out.

Role play sample.

"Alright children, go and play." Maylien said as she and her mate Warden had lead their children to a nearby stream for some exercise and fun. The children cheer and quickly strip down to their swim wear and run into the stream, while their mother sits down on a big rock with her youngest child Mason in her arms.
"I glad we were able to make it here, I almost thought I would pass out it was such a long trip." Maylien said taking deep breaths.
"You should have stayed home, the way you are. I could have taken care of them just fine." Warden said sitting next to her.
"And miss my children having fun? I would never." Maylien smiled and rubbed her extended belly.
"Just take things a little more slowly, I know this isn't your first time but you don't want to push things."
"Nonsense...oh! I think the baby is kicking." Warden looked and saw little signs of movement coming from Mayliens belly. Mason curiously poked at his mom's belly and it stopped.
"...I can't help but feel happy with the way things are. You know?" Maylien said and locked eyes with her mate.
"Yes, and I know things can only get better." The two turned to watch the children play and at that moment everything felt perfect.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:08:23 PM by Talia Garrison »
  • Avatar by: Plasma-snake on Deviantart
Current fursona: Tina

Pet's name: Star
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!

Offline Keinai

• Dancing Dragon
  • Woof.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 10:36:25 PM »
Maylien is accepted, however all of her children and her mate require forms, if you plan on keeping them in context.

I'll be a bit more lenient on the children and only require their names, ages, genders, and anything else you might want to add, but Warden needs a form too.

Offline Tina

• Kuddly Kitten
  • People have put me down, but i get right back up.
    • Awards
  • Species: Kobold
  • Coloring: Brown
  • Height: 3 ft
  • Weight: 65 pounds
  • Build: Pretty pudgy
  • Currently: Feeling hungry.
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 10:42:15 PM »
Ok the children weren't going to be used that much anyway. Warden I guess does need a form but give me second.
  • Avatar by: Plasma-snake on Deviantart
Current fursona: Tina

Pet's name: Star
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!