The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: A Town Called Mercy  (Read 5855 times)

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
A Town Called Mercy
« on: February 19, 2013, 12:17:30 AM »
April 14, 1901:
Drake's eyes shot open and instantly a headache descended onto him. He sat up and looked around his disheveled office and wondered why he had decided to sleep in his office. Then it all came back to him, yesterday had been the trial for Bill Williams' kid and it had ended with a hanging. The kid had only been eighteen for god's sake. Drake never liked to sentence a kid so young to hell. So he had gone home and gotten roaring drunk. "Why worry?" he thought, "I'm sure Ren had everything covered last night".
Drake decided that the clothes he was wearing were as good as anything for the day, so he put on his hat and gunbelt. He walked out his front door and looked West towards the desert, and stopped dead in his tracks when he saw the ominous glow of rift energy playing across the atmosphere. "Dammit," he said aloud to himself, "looks like it's gonna be another one of those days".
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline Cifero Windtail

• Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • I never give up... so don't push me. >_<
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Crat Feline-crow mix. (Just found out.... I HAVE FRACKING WINGS!!) (SO freaked out!!)
  • Coloring: Grey with dark grey stripes, Black hair, light blue scleras and blue corneas,
  • Height: 5' 10&quot;
  • Weight: 89 lbs. and then about 50 more (about 139 lbs.); he's fit, but he's not muscular. Has a bit of an outie.
  • Build: Lithe but wiry; a little soft around the middle, but it's hardly noticeable; he's actually got a rather feminine form.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Holding out for a hero... but always having to save myself.
Re: A Town Called Mercy
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 07:49:58 PM »
A FEW MILES AWAY...

All seemed calm in the desert as the demonic red horse galloped across the desert from the East, its black-clothed rider impossible to profile through the mask over his face.
"*sigh*.... I don't know about you, Redtail, but I really hate it when the younger ones go bad," the rider said, looking at his horse. with presumed sadness.
 No one ever does, young Matthias, the horse replied telepathically. Even Dragomir hates it... though you'll never get him to say it out loud, I've always sensed a slight sadness in him every time we have to punish one of the younger mortals...
*ZZZZZZ...* Huh? Hey, stop feeding the kid a line, Dragomir said, waking up. All punishments are good punishments... although yesterday's coulda had more blood...
Matthias rolled his eyes under his mask as the three of them pulled up to the saloon. "You always say that everything needs more blood," he whispered to the sword as he dismounted from Redtail and tied his reins to the bar. "Even blood."
Well, that's because it does need more blood! the sword argued. I don't care what that "Doctor" said about peace; For all i care, he can take his freaking police box-spaceship-time machine thing and... oh, f***, do you feel that?
Matthias glanced over at the west, noticing the strange glow in the sky. "*sigh*.... no rest for the weary, I suppose..."
  • Avatar by: I have three or four great ones: one by Sabah and a few by Lovableoutcast/Kishi... and also this one, drawn by Kayato/ Kaya... thanks guys. ^_^
  • Signature art by: I just want to tell you, the reference is a link to my other fursona.  Also: http://www.sanger.dk/
(I love my sister) http://www.zark.com http://www.zark.com/pages2/az66/az66b.html
Don't mess with Grammaton Clerics. THEY WILL END YOU.

Offline Midnight Madness

• Lucifer 2.0 (Doggo Edition)
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Most Online
  • Absolutely adorable.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycanroc
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 175 lbs.
  • Build: Very well toned, intimidating despite his average height.
  • Currently: Guess who.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 12:26:59 AM »
Ren, meandering through town and keeping an eye on the place, stood with his arms folded and stared stoically at the rift as an odd distortion ripped across the sky. "It would seem it is happening again. It is becoming more frequent. How worrying." His brown duster rippled in the wake of the shock wave, the wind picking up a cloud of dust and whipping it through the town. He tapped his foot three times before wheeling around and letting his arms to his sides.

"I wonder what it will bring for us this time." His rhetorical question lingered in the annals of his mind, repeating itself over and over like an echo. He looked back at it one last time, moving by a cart that had just parked outside of a local residence. Ren peered into the cart to see a pair of men and a pair of women preparing to exit, while the driver up top tipped his hat at Ren.

"Mornin' deputy," the man said, his voice striking Ren as familiar - strong and slow with that heavy southern. "Looks like that rift is gettin' mighty ferocious lately. Whatcha reckon it means for us?" The character removed his hat and set it on the passenger seat of the cart, Ren instantly recognizing him after, climbing down. The Coyote was getting on in his years, but still ripe and young. His face bore two scars, one on his cheek and one on his chin that led to his neck, the bald patches of his short, brown fur displaying them almost as if proud.

"Dunno, Lawrence. I have to assume it'll be interesting, regardless." After a second or two, the dinosaur grinned and took a breath before speaking. "Or not, haha." This elicited a smile from the old Coyote, a rusty sounding grumble that was a chuckle came from his throat. "Gonna be in town to see it?"

Lawrence shook his head. "'Fraid not, son. I gotta get these aristocrat fellars back home to the city, ain't got much use for an old town like this one, they don't. 'Sides, fighting or enduring ain't quite my strong suit no more." He extended a hand to Ren and smiled at him, reaching back to the cart with the other. "Sorry to part s'fast, but these fellars sound like they're comin' back, done looking 'round the old manor I s'pose. Be seein' ya' round partner." Ren gladly shook his hand and allowed him to climb back into the cart, the visitors coming out of the home mere seconds after.

"Hey, old man." Lawrence looked down the instant he put his hat back on, the shadow of it covering his face once more. "Be careful. Been hearing of bandits down the road, some cartels. Might want to watch for them." The geezer lifted his shirt a bit to reveal a pistol and patted the back of the cart seat, silently telling me he had it covered. Ren smirked and chuckled a little just as the reigns of the cart whipped and the horses whinnied, taking off out of the town like race horses. "Crazy old bastard, haha." Ren spoke to himself quickly before turning his attention to the Sheriff's office. "Wonder what Drake's taking care of. That lynching was some nasty business, hope he's not taking it too hard." Ren started stepping towards the old shanty of a building, at least by what he was used to, intent on speaking with the Sheriff not only about the hanging, but also about the rift.

Offline serpington

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • I'm not a bad man.....I just do things bad men do.
    • Awards
  • Species: Spider
  • Coloring: Black with red patterning
  • Height: 10 foot
  • Currently: silently watching
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 03:20:15 AM »
Jack sighed walking along the side of an old dirt road that lead into mercy, dragging a large dirty bag behind him. The sun was just starting to rise as the town came into sight and it was another hour before there was any signs of life as he got closer. A cart passed him a bit out of town, then some one from around town that didn't seem to notice him, to busy talking to himself jack assumed. He didn't care either way, calmly dragging the sack around to the sheriff's office and waiting by the door while sitting  on the sack lazily. He looked up when he heard someone approaching.

"Morning deputy. Is it to early for a drop off? I'd check myself..." He calmly pulled out a golden pocket watch, showing the obviously wrong time to deputy ren. "but i doubt it's 3AM"
“I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
"If ever you should need my life, come and take it. If I die, I forgive you, if I recover, we shall see."

Offline Reality Glitch

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon-plant
  • Coloring: Purple
  • Currently: Taking the Hero's Path
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 05:27:28 AM »
    The rift-phase oscillator was at full power and I was ready to jump again.  The stress I was putting on my usual network from synchronizing its metatemporal matrix with my own power source would be catastrophic if it built up any more, so I had to use an alternant.  The worse that would happen is I'd end up some were I'd never been before.  I half-hoped that that would happen, I needed a little adventure now and then, consistency got too boring after a while.
    I stepped through the continuum arc and found myself falling.  Instead of hitting my target, the rift I came Out of happened to be in midar.  That was no problem for me as I could fly, but I activated the holographic projector I'd built into my sonic screwdriver to cloak myself, so no one saw me appear out of nowhere during waking hours.  I scanned the area to see where I was.  Sol 3, while it was still a level-4 planet. That was good.  The lower the tech level the easier it was to blend in.
    Unfortunatly, I was not the only thing to come out of the rift that turn.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 06:36:55 AM »
Drake lit a cigarette as he tried to track down the source of his energy. He grimaced at the taste, damn tobacco was not nearly as good as the stuff the Confederates had grown during the war. He spotted Ren standing near the office and walked over.
"Mighty fine day here," Drake said, trying to make small talk. Useless small talk though, since they both knew what was really going on. The unmistakeable glare of the rift loomed over the west side of town, meaning that something new was slipping through. Drake had a bad feeling about this one...

Offline Cifero Windtail

• Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Crat Feline-crow mix. (Just found out.... I HAVE FRACKING WINGS!!) (SO freaked out!!)
  • Coloring: Grey with dark grey stripes, Black hair, light blue scleras and blue corneas,
  • Weight: 89 lbs. and then about 50 more (about 139 lbs.); he's fit, but he's not muscular. Has a bit of an outie.
  • Build: Lithe but wiry; a little soft around the middle, but it's hardly noticeable; he's actually got a rather feminine form.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 02:31:02 AM »
Leaving Redtail at the stands (not bothering to tie him up since the was the only one who could ride him), Matthias walked over to the sheriff's office... and nearly gagged.
"For the love of..." Sighing, the Keeper focused his energy and focused on the cigarette, making the heat leave it and causing it to go out, then walked over.
"Salutations, Sherriff," Matthias said, bowing. "Any idea what's up with the sky today?"

(remember, the sheriff's never met him)

• Avatar by: I have three or four great ones: one by Sabah and a few by Lovableoutcast/Kishi... and also this one, drawn by Kayato/ Kaya... thanks guys. ^_^
  • Signature art by: I just want to tell you, the reference is a link to my other fursona.  Also: http://www.sanger.dk/
(I love my sister) http://www.zark.com http://www.zark.com/pages2/az66/az66b.html

Offline Midnight Madness

• Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Most Online
  • Absolutely adorable.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 05:00:16 AM »
When Ren approached the Sheriff's office, he couldn't help but notice Jack sitting nearby with a large sack under him. When Jack shows him the pocket watch, he smirks. "Good morning. I don't think it's too early for a drop off, bandit or something?"

The instant Ren finished this question, Alex stepped through the nearby door, the hinges creaking awkwardly as it swung open. Ren offered a courteous gesture to Jack, informing him silently to just wait there a second and hold his thought. "Drake, you know as well as I do that today is a curious one. Weather's fine, but were you awake to sense that energy? I'll have to bet you were, or it woke you. And after that lynching, I'm really hoping you're alright my friend, might need you if anything stirs up." Ren offered a supporting hand to Drake by placing it on his shoulder. "You need to talk about anything, my friend, feel free. I've got your back."

He removed the hand from Drake's shoulder just as a mysterious entity rode up and choked rather... unnecessarily. In an instant, Drake's cigarette went out and Ren rolled his eyes, assuming this person had something to do with it - wind like this doesn't put out a smoke. He watched as the newcomer approached the Sheriff, asking about the sky.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:27:40 AM by Sytex »

Offline serpington

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 10:15:20 PM »
Jack nodded and quietly got up, feeling a bit ignored by the sheriff but passing it off as something big happening while he was gone. He dragged the bag inside and payed it next to the sheriff's desk and walked back out. Leaning against the door frame and watching the three, half hoping some one would make things interesting, watching with a yawn and pulling out a smoke of his own and lighting it with a yawn while thinking to himselfquietly.
“I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
"If ever you should need my life, come and take it. If I die, I forgive you, if I recover, we shall see."

Offline Reality Glitch

• Avid Aardvark
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon-plant
  • Coloring: Purple
  • Currently: Taking the Hero's Path
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 03:46:01 AM »
     With the morning came the heat, and with the heat I unzipped and removed my hoodie, leaving myself in a white t-shirt and purple bell-bottom pants.  Still cloaked I came acrossed a small town.  I Jumped the fence outlining it, and changed from full-on invisbility to just a strong perception-filter and walked up to the sherif's office.  When in doubt, ask for the leader.
     There seemed to be some comotion going, so I new I'd have to stand in line.

Offline tangletail

• Melodious Mouse
    • Awards
  • Species: Lynx
  • Coloring: Grey and black
  • Height: 6' 9&quot; dued to long animalistic like hind legs
  • Weight: 190
  • Build: leath and lanky
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 04:23:50 AM »
“HOLY COW PIE ON A SUNDAY TRAM, IT'S A FULL BLOWN WAR IN HERE,” A masked fox screamed out as he quickly dove through a train car's door way to the next and rolled behind a seat as a volly of shots were fired from both behind him and just ahead of him. There were two other groups of bandits on the train, and began much larger than the two lone thieves, yet they had rapidly began to dwindle in numbers.

“Just stick to the plan! Kill the competition, find the box, load em, split up, and get paid! Now stop whining,” A feline yelled out as he rolled across the isle and ended his spin behind a seat just across from “Omega”. The civilians who were to frightened to jump off the train ran around in pure panic, some dropping to the floor dead in the cross fires, while others simply froze in place.

“Oh my g-GET DOWN NOW! ALL OF YOU DOWN,” screamed the masked fox known as Omega to the other patrons. Some had dropped down imediately to the floor, giving the fox a clear shot to several other bandits. He leaned out from behind the cover with his two colts drawn out and produced a few shots, dropping multiple bandits, but now forced to withdraw back into his cover after a close call from a rifle. “Grah! Alpha get rid of that guy.”

“From right here? I'm using a rifle remember! I can't lean that thing out from around cover! Switch with me on three.”

They both began to count down in sync before quickly switching places, one jumping up high, and the other diving down low to trade places. From his new vantage point, the feline took out two more, clearing out the front of the train. With that done, the fox quickly opened the door once more, and broke off the rear carts, ending the rest of their troubles.

“Wow...” the fox panted as he slowly sat down on the seat, and looked to the rest of the frightened civilians who slowly rose up. “DOWN NOW,” he barked out, pointing to them, and like frightened children... they quickly obeyed.

Alpha slowly went up to the front of the train, searching through some of the storage carts. He rifled through it alone for a while until he heard a click behind himself. He quickly turned about with his gun raised high, only to find out that Olaris had disconnected the tram behind them. With a nod, the feline went back to work.

Eventually they found what they were looking for. A tightly sealed wooden box with a heavy amount of weight behind it.

“Found it!” Alpha cheered as he quickly slipped the box into his bag. “Alright, split up, I will deliver the goods, and send you your pay....” the cat looked behind himself only to watch in confusion to see that the fox had already jumped off the train. “...well you already knew the plan then.”

…...........

After jumping from aboard the train, the wind howled around Olaris until he crashed feet first on the ground, soon followed by his entire body crumpling together into a ball to reduce any possible damage as he rolled and tumbled across the dust into the middle of no where. All while this was happening, the fox released a flurry of swears and grunts of pain as he just continued to bounce further out until he came to an abrupt halt, sliding across his stomach. He had laid there for only a moment, before slowly rising to his feet in a hunched over position, mostly in pain.
He looked on to the train as it left, before setting his eyes to a nearby town, and slowly hobbled to it. He took his mask off his face and dropped it to his shadow where it seemed to have just sunk below the dust and into nothing. His white fur was covered in a mixture of blood and grime, his clothing tattered and ripped from the previous fight and his “graceful” landing, and even soaked in sweat. Eventually after what felt like ages, the fox reached the town, and slowly staggered through the street for the nearest doctor.
I can givz u Triforce? ♥
  ▲
▲ ▲

• Unique Unicorn
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »
Drake's cigarette went out. This had happened before, some uppity being from through that rift thought he could manipulate energy just to piss off ordinary folk. In annoyance he struck another match on the being's had and re-lit his cigarette, blowing smoke into his face.
"Okay you," he said pointing at the newcomer, "need to stop doing things like that or else I'll have you out of this town faster than you can say 'oops', you got me? I don't need someone walking around scaring the townsfolk with all that voodoo magic,".
Drake turned to Ren and said, "Now you and me need to go check out what's going on. Nevermind Bill's kid right now, that's in the past. There's not a lot I got patience for today." He pointed to Jack, "and you sir should come with us, never know when we might need another man. As for you, voodoo magic boy, tag along if you want, just stay out of trouble."

Offline Cifero Windtail

• Velvety Vole
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 11:24:03 PM »
Matthias blinked repeatedly and looked at the sheriff.
"Don't feel sad about him," he said. "He probably got a pretty good place in hell..."
Yeah, sure did... right next to MPHPHHPHHP....
Matthias quickly muffled Dragomir before anyone could hear much, and then looked up, his face expressionless.
"So... this rift thing then," he said.  "I'll come.... also, sorry about the cigarette thing, just trying to get your attention..."

Offline Midnight Madness

• Scented Skunk
  • Absolutely adorable.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 01:49:12 AM »
"You got it, Alex. I'm right with you," Ren nods to Drake, prepared to follow him as necessary. "I got my eye on both of you," he said looking at both Jack and Matthias. "Neither of you want to fall into my sights, because nothing escapes them with a beating heart. So know I'm watching, especially you, mister magic." Ren gave Matthias a rather serious look, far from disliking him, but far from trusting.

The air around them stirred up a small dust cloud, sending it right through the center of town. A common sight, but a very interesting one in such a situation. The sun beat down on Ren's head, his dark hair feeling very warm  as it brushed his face in the light wind. Ren looked out at the rift, wondering just what will wait for them near it.

Offline serpington

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 07:35:50 AM »
"Be right with you sheriff, i'll just put my 'tag-along' in a cell so i don't have to drag his sorry arse back here." With that he walked back into the sheriff's office and rolled the bag into an empty cell. Locking it before heading back out. Stopping to loo at the stranger waiting inside for a moment. "Oi, weird thing. if you're waiting for the sheriff he's walking the other direction. He'll probably be a while." was all he said before walking back outside and joining the sheriff.

"Oh and deputy, bigger men than you have tried taking me down. They all ended up on your or some other sheriff's floor. Not all easily identafiable."