The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Isolation Game (2/4, Ask to join)  (Read 1863 times)

Offline RodentOfUnusualSize

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • When life gives you lemons, kick it in the toodles
    • Awards
  • Species: Rat
  • Coloring: Grey fur, blonde dreadlocks
  • Height: 7'8
  • Weight: 248 lbs.
  • Build: Muscular
  • Currently: Can't stop the spirits when they need you...
The Isolation Game (2/4, Ask to join)
« on: March 16, 2013, 06:12:15 PM »
Vincenzo woke up, but didn't open his eyes. Last night's dream had been fairly horrifying...

He was walking home from school with his father. He had a great first day of school this year, and even made some new friends. As he walked alongside his father, they talked about everything he did at school that day. Somebody pulled up next to them in a blue pick-up truck, asking something of his dad. They turned down into an alleyway to avoid further contact with the stranger.

That's as far as he cared to remember. The young doberman opened his eyes, expecting to see the light blue walls of his bedroom, his toys and posters. Vincenzo first noticed that these weren't his toys. His walls were now a dingy gray color, and his blanket was missing. He wasn't home. He sat up and looked around, staring at the dirty floors, up to the dim lights on the ceiling.

"Daddy? Hello?" He called out, almost hesitantly. Tears welled up in the pup's eyes as he jumped up off of the bed, landing on a cold, dirty floor. Something caught his eye as he walked around the room.

"Benny!" Vincenzo cried. On the lowest shelf was his favorite stuffed toy, a tiger called 'Benny'. He picked up the toy and hugged it, trying to hold back his tears. He had no idea where he was, or where his father was. It was then that he noticed the door across from the bed. It was a dark gray steel door, with a small slot in the center. Making sure not to step on any of the debris on the ground, Vincenzo made his way across the room to the door. As he opened it, there was a loud static noise from the hallway, like TV static only louder. He could see a faint light from a small room towards the end of the hallway, behind a desk.

As the young dog approached the light, he saw it was coming from a computer screen. The screen displayed a blinking cursor, under the title 'The Isolation Game'. Vincenzo didn't know why he did it, but he sat behind the desk and typed on the keyboard.

<Hello?>
<Can somebody see this?>

Before he could type anything else, there was a loud noise from the other end of the hallway. The pup ran back to the room he started in and shut the door. He sat down on the floor and started to cry.
Once one can perceive how good it is to wear wranglers, one can begin to perceive everything else. It's all part and parcel. The soup is hot, the jeans are cool. The soup is cold, the jeans are out. Let us hear these words echoed from every corner and dead end of the universe.

Must P.J. Proby carry all the world's problems?

Offline Nobi

• Handsome Horse
  • Let's get rhetorical!
    • My tumblr!
    • Awards
  • Species: Ringtail/Cacomistle
  • Coloring: Standard ringtail coloration of sandy brown-dark brown body, white rings around my eyes, and black and white rings around my tail
  • Height: Roughly 5'6''
  • Weight: 127 lbs
  • Build: Slim and mildly athletic
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Back!
Re: The Isolation Game (2/4, Ask to join)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 04:41:58 AM »
Hunter rolled over onto his left side as his mind drifted back into the realm of consciousness. From the soreness in his body, he'd been  tossing and turning all night. He winced as his neck cramped up slightly, lifting himself off the pillow several inches to tilt his head from side to side to stretch out his neck muscles. Keeping his eyes closed, he let himself fall roughly back to the pillow, tugging it closer to him with both arms and letting out a yawn. He did not feel like getting up this morning.

As he settled into his position, he inhaled through his nose—expecting to smell the familiar mixture of drool, shampoo, and scalp. However, his nostrils were met with an entirely different scent: it was clean. Sterile; as if the pillowcase wasn't just freshly washed, but brand new—never been slept on before. He furrowed his eyebrows, taking in several more sniffs. Sure enough, it was not his pillowcase. He opened his eyes, shooting upright as if he'd just been scared out of a nightmare. Although the room's only light source was a small reading lamp on a desk opposite the bed, he could tell immediately where he was, especially with the smell to aid him—a hospital room. His eyes darted about, adjusting to the light and examining the room. It was mostly empty. Just his bed, the desk, and a small rolling chair. On the adjacent wall was a door with one of those thin windows toward one side, with thin, criss-crossed wires between the panes of glass.

It was only after several moments of taking in his surroundings that he realized that he wasn't in his pajamas, but fully dressed; he had his shoes, his jungle fatigues, and his black T-shirt bearing the cover of a Blind Guardian album. As if suddenly remembering his common possessions, he shoved his right paw in his pocket in search of his phone—which wasn't there. He reflexively patted his remaining pockets, but found neither his phone, his wallet, nor his keys. But as his paw passed over the edge of his left pocket, the air seemed to rush from his lungs as he felt the cool metal of his knife's pocket clip. With a movement stored long ago in his muscle memory, he pulled the folding knife from his pocket, flipping the blade open and holding it up to the light to ensure that it was truly there. He closed his eyes briefly, letting out a sigh as he held the knife's grip tightly. Turning his attention to the door, he thumbed the blade's liner lock to the side and folded it closed again, pocketing it where it belonged. With a few tentative steps, he crept over to the door, peering out through the small window to see a long hallway. He looked as far to each side as he could from his side of the door, which didn't reveal much about what was beyond it. With a deep breath, his paw brushed the door's handle and slowly pushed it down.

The door swung gently open, the handle giving off a soft click as the fox released it. He stepped cautiously out into the hallway, ensuring that his footsteps made as little noise as possible. The hallway was dark, windowless. One half was dominated by curtains blocking off more hospital beds, and the other had numerous doors that, upon brief inspection, led to either offices, or other hallways. As Hunter stalked his way down the hall, however, he came to one door in particular that had a faint glow coming from the other side. He looked through the window to see a computer sitting atop a lonely desk. Two short lines of text were displayed in the upper left corner, which he couldn't make out from where he was. He glanced over both shoulders, then back into the room to make sure nobody else was around. Not knowing what else to do, he entered the small room and sat down at the desk. On the monitor were the following words:

<Hello?>
<Can somebody see this?>

There was a cursor blinking just below them. He let his paws rise to the keyboard, and—without many other options—began typing.

<I can see it.>
<What's going on? Who is this?>

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Close your eyes and see the skies are falling.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Dark blue scales
  • Height: 2,36 M.
  • Weight: 110 Kg.
  • Build: Moderately tough
  • Currently: Getting my ass in gear to do...something.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 10:08:36 AM »
How a nice and enjoyable evening can take such a drastic turn was out of my understanding. For one moment, I had been watching a mediocre comedy movie with friends, an hilarious evening. The next moment, returning the DVD, i got whacked on the head by something hard. Whatever it was, it sent my world away, replacing it with a hospital bedroom as I woke up.

"The hell..?"

Looking around me, faded green walls, medical cabinets and 1 other hospital bed, like the one I was on, filled the room. For a moment I was thankful that the other bed wasn't occupied, but as the dark and creepy environment settled on me, I actually would've liked someone to talk to. Anyone.

I got out of the bed, my wings hurting as I had been lying on them. I felt dazed for a bit, standing up too quickly after having lied down there. I must've been lying there for a while, I thought, but as far as I could tell, the windows had been painted over, leaving me no way of telling the time.

In a moment of uncertainty about the situation, I quickly tried looking around the room for anything that could be helpful. Much to my frustrations, the cabinets were empty, the beds clean, and nothing of use could be found. I went for the next option, the door. I was mildly suprised when it actually did open. Lame horror movies in mind, I then thought it to be some logical development, which wasn't helping me be less scared. The hallway to my sides was dark, in both directions. I couldn't even make out the next door. All I could see, was in front of me. It wasn't a room, more like a indent in the hallway to store something. A small cabinet with a old-looking computer sat there. The monitor had a slight glow, which was the only reason I could see it. Besides the monitor's glow, and my own glow on my back, there wasn't any lighting to be found. I saw some text on the screen, and quickly got closer.

<Hello?>
<Can somebody see this?>

<I can see it.>

No timestamps. As far as I could tell, this meant it could have been from days before, years even. Maybe some assholes had done this before, taking people here and leaving them in the dark. My eyes were drawn to the line at the top. "The Isolation Game."

My mind was filled with an array of curses. The situation was clear now, someone was just messing with him, taking a sick joy out of this. Betting my only hopes on help on the computer, I hoped the chat was recent.

<I'm here too.>
<Is it just two of you? Where are you?>

I looked to my sides. Again, the darkness gave me no way of telling that there wasn't some creep watching me. Tired of the darkness, I closed tmy lower eyelids, still feeling as weird as usual as my vision turned blue.

The hallways were empty, and as far as heat went, it was all empty. At least I had a way of dealing with the lighting problems, but with glowing eyes and back, anyone could find me. I wasn't sure wether or not I wanted that, but for now I stayed put at the computer, hoping to see any line of text. I gave myself ten minutes to sit there, hoping for an answer. If not, I'd leave and try to get out.
  • Signature art by: Me :D
You can be anything you want to be.
But can you be everything you want to be?

Click this shiet for my Deviantart!

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 06:48:03 PM »
Vincenzo stayed in 'his' room for a little while longer, cuddling his toy and trying to think of a reason that he could be here. His father wouldn't ever let him stay here in this scary place. As he sat on the stained bed, he took in the area he was in. The walls were filthy, paint was chipping off of them. There were yellow stains as though somebody had relieved himself on the wall.

"Dad... Help." The pup said to nobody in particular, as though hoping he would be heard by his father and removed from the situation. As scared as he was, he wished that somebody was here with him, even a complete stranger.

It was then that he remembered the computer at the end of the hallway. He wanted to check, but there was somebody in the hallway that made a noise. Looking around the room, Vincenzo armed himself with a piece of broken shelf.

Taking a deep breath, and stuffing Benny in his pocket, He opened the door as quietly as he could and stepped into the hallway.

It was completely empty, aside from the scattered furniture and other hospital items he'd seen before. Taking one small step at a time, Vincenzo reached the computer and found that others had been talking to him.

<Hello?>
<Can somebody see this?>

<I can see it.>

<I'm here too.>
<Is it just two of you? Where are you?>

Vincenzo was relieved to see that others were here. He quickly typed a reply message meant for both.

<My name is Vincenzo.>
<I don't know where I am. It's very dirty and I think somebody else is here.>
<I'm scared.>

After typing to the others, he felt as though he was at least somewhat safer, even if he didn't know who they were or where they were. Making his way back to the room he started in, the pup realized how hungry he was. As though on cue, a light at the other end of the hall, opposite the computer caught his eye. Thinking only of finding somebody else, he stepped cautiously towards the light, turning a corner to find a pile of canned vegetables and fruits. They were stacked neatly, and on top sat a small can opener.

Not wasting any time, he opened a can of pineapples and started to eat.

Once one can perceive how good it is to wear wranglers, one can begin to perceive everything else. It's all part and parcel. The soup is hot, the jeans are cool. The soup is cold, the jeans are out. Let us hear these words echoed from every corner and dead end of the universe.

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:36:51 PM »
The screen, having slowly faded in brightness, suddenly turned to life again, filling a small part of the long corridor with light. The combination of a weak blue, orange and green glow made for a weird coloration on the walls, as I made my eyesight normal once more.

<My name is Vincenzo.>
<I don't know where I am. It's very dirty and I think somebody else is here.>
<I'm scared.>

For a moment, I rejoiced, as there was a possibility of making it out of here with the help of others. But soon enough, my mind filled itself with doubts. Maybe these bastards were the ones typing back, watching as I looked for others in vain. But I had to take those odds, and typed my reply.

<I'm valen.>
<I'm in some long as hell corridor, no lighting. Seems to be nothing in both directions, but I just can't tell.>
<There's not even any heat sources besides this computer.>
<If you see a bright blue pattern, that's me by the way.>
<Any ideas?>

After typing that, I stared at the computer, expecting a reply. Waiting for one, I got curious if the computers had any other function.

<~>

A small extra window popped open.

<Admin logon>

<Denied. *Warning, repeated attempts will shut down this terminal indefinetely>

'F*ck, well that's about all the coding I know.', I thought as I mentally sighed. Maybe I should've done something more with my own computer instead of gaming and writing.

Hoping for an answer, I sat down against the wall opposite of the computer terminal, waiting.

Offline Nobi

• Handsome Horse
  • Let's get rhetorical!
    • My tumblr!
    • Awards
  • Species: Ringtail/Cacomistle
  • Coloring: Standard ringtail coloration of sandy brown-dark brown body, white rings around my eyes, and black and white rings around my tail
  • Height: Roughly 5'6''
  • Weight: 127 lbs
  • Build: Slim and mildly athletic
  • Currently: Back!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 05:10:24 AM »
Hunter watched intently as others appeared to be responding to him. There were at least two other furs connected to this terminal besides him. Could there be more? And where exactly were they?

Come to think of it... Where exactly in this hospital was Hunter? He hadn't seen any windows in the hallway, and there were none in the small office he currently found himself in. For all he knew, he could be several dozen floors up. He also wondered, briefly, what time it was. His eyes went reflexively to the upper right-paw corner of the screen in search of the clock. Nothing there. His glance to the lower right was met with the same disheartening blankness.

His eyes fixed themselves once more on the lines of text toward the left side of the screen. He glossed over them once or twice before settling once more on the message at the very top.

"The Isolation Game..." he read in a whisper barely audible even to himself. He didn't like the sound of that one bit. Memories of psychological horror movies began trickling into his mind. From the looks of things, he—along with these other furs—had just been cast in one. He grimaced, his head hanging low as he shut his eyes tightly. This has to be a dream, he thought. There's no way somebody would actually...

Then it occurred to him: Vincenzo said somebody else was near his location. He didn't know this fur, but he felt suddenly stricken with worry. His own fears pushed to the back burner, he typed a swift response:

<My name's Hunter.>
<Vincenzo, stay calm.>
<You said somebody is there with you? What happened, exactly?>

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 04:56:11 PM »
<I don't know.>
<There was a noise like somebody bumped into a wall.>
<I didn't see anyone, it was too dark. I hid in the room I woke up in for a while.>

Vincenzo paused, perking his ears and listening for any sign of another fur... No footsteps. No breathing. It was so quiet that it made the pup very uncomfortable. He stood from the seat behind the terminal and accidentally dropped the empty pineapple can. There was a loud clang as it made contact with the floor. Vincenzo jumped and fells backwards off of the chair, landing a good four feet away from the desk.

"Owwww..." He groaned as he held the top of his head. He glanced up and noticed a piece of paper hanging from the wall. He stood, looking around to make sure nobody heard him make such a ruckus. The paper was a bit higher than Vincenzo could reach, so he jumped up to grab it. Once he felt his paw curl around it, he pulled it down. He brought it back to the room.

Once he was sure nobody could get into the room, Vincenzo looked down at the piece of paper in his hand. It was a map! He was on the second floor, in the east wing, which was marked as a...

"A psychiatric ward?... Like a nuthouse?" He cringed a bit at the thought of being trapped in here with some psycho. Then again, who even brought him here? This question repeated over and over in Vincenzo's mind. It certainly wasn't his father... "Daddy wouldn't ever put me here." he reassured himself.

Looking back down at the map, the pup made a note of his current position. Room 23-B, floor 2. To the north there was the terminal, and south was the night watchman's room. 'Maybe there's something useful in there...'

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 07:18:45 PM »
The barely audible pings notified him of the chat, and as he looked up, he saw there were a few new lines of text.

<I don't know.>
<There was a noise like somebody bumped into a wall.>
<I didn't see anyone, it was too dark. I hid in the room I woke up in for a while.>

Valen had seen nobody else, nor heard anyone, so he had no hope in helping him directly.

<Look under the door, if someone is there they're bound to have a light source.>
<If it's dark, you should be safe.>

Despite it being a pretty good thought, he felt like he should help him more, but he had no means to do so.

<There's no use in sitting here.>
<I'm leaving this computer.>
<I'll try and find you, or anyone. Wish me luck.>

With a bit of grim resolve, he set out through the dark alleys, hoping to make his way by looking at the heat of objects, instead of the light. This at least ruled out one problem for him, but it made him rather visible.
He could only hope the right person would see him. Who knew who was in this building.

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 04:39:43 PM »
As he crept along the hallway, Vincenzo noticed a shift in atmosphere between the desk with the terminal and the office he made his way to. It felt as though there were hundreds of eyes, staring him in the back. This wasn't safe. Approaching the door, Vincenzo took notice of a strong smell around the area, as though somebody had left food out and it was starting to spoil.

There was a faint light under the watchman's door, and a smell of alcohol. The pup opened the door and peered inside.

Once again, this room was empty. There was a large garbage can, tipped over onto it's side and spilled onto the floor. "So that's the smell..." He muttered out loud. "What else is in here?" He started sifting through the clutter of the office, finding nothing of use. However, looking up towards the higher shelves revealed a large letter opener and a bottle of water. Vincenzo took his treasures back to the room he started in.

Stashing the small blade in his pocket, he opened the water, sniffed it and (detecting no foul smell) took a swallow. "Maybe the others have left me a message...?"

Vincenzo made his way back to the terminal to check on the others. There were a few messages.

<There's no use in sitting here.>
<I'm leaving this computer.>
<I'll try and find you, or anyone. Wish me luck.>

So this other... Valen, was about in the hospital, looking for him? The last message caught his eye.

***<ADMIN NOTIFICATION>***
<So, you've all had a while to get to know your surroundings a bit. Perhaps I should explain a bit about this place.>
<I bring furs here to test their strength of mind, their wits, and their will to survive.>
<Your food supply is limited.>
<The only way out is through the tunnels beneath the hospital, a place once called 'the maze' by most patients.>
<I'll give you some incentive, however.>
<If you can make it out, you'll find a small case. In said case is five hundred thousand dollars.>
<Remember to try your hardest. You aren't alone here.>
*** <TERMINAL ONLINE> ***

"So this person brought us here to test us... Why?"

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 10:48:07 AM »
Walking through the corridor, murky darkness being a cold blue for him, each step helped strengthen his resolve.
He was able to see cleary, though the outlines of objects were all rather blurred as the temperature was all somewhat equal. It felt like he was truely abandoned, strain as he might his hearing, there wasn't a sound to be heard, set aside his own footsteps, and tail occasionally scraping over the unusual flooring.

It continued on for a while, passing rooms that seemed the same, and devoid of anything of interest. Untill one room showed someone inside. It was hard to tell, but as he came closer, a slight orange glowed from under a door, the door itself a lighter blue than the previous. Someone was in there, and had been for a while. Or maybe it was empty, and there was some heating. Not that it had much use to him, scales preventing much of the feeling of temperature, but the room might have something useful in comparison to all the others.

Silenty, as much as he could, he made his way to the door, hoping to not hint of his presence. He couldn't tell if anyone was actually inside, but being stuck in dark corriddors, on his own and without anything to help him, he would be off with no hope anyway. Scaled hand on the door knob, he made the bet.