The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: A Rant About A Past Halloween Experience  (Read 642 times)

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
    • Awards
A Rant About A Past Halloween Experience
« on: October 13, 2010, 01:11:10 AM »
Halloween is approaching, so I thought I'd bring up something that happened to me in 2006 at still annoys me to this day.

That year I was the devil's anthropomorphic black cat. I had black angel wings and chains. It was also the first time I wore the black jacket people recognize me by. (my fursona wears it, too)  ;)

My friends and I were walking around the neighborhood. Trick-Or-Treating had just started, and it was still pretty bright outside. We were roleplaying as the characters we dressed up as, which makes it much more fun in my opinion. We started chatting about how Halloween is in our characters' points of view.
I began ranting about how Halloween is becoming less about frightening things and more about cuteness and candy, and how most kids dress as princesses and Spiderman more than vampires and other scary creatures. Then, in perfect timing, a couple and their little girl who was dressed as a witch(surprisingly) were walking towards us.
"We shouldn't be just handing out candy to children, we should be SCARING the children!", I shouted as they walked passed us.
At the word "Scaring", I had raised my hands into a monster-like stance while looking at the girl. She looked surprised and amused, but her mother started screaming at me like I tried to murder her. About an hour later at another house, they showed up again. The mother recognized me, and ran up to shout at me, "Please, don't scare my child again!"

Gah damn, it was Halloween! I wasn't even trying, and there are people who were seriously running around the neighborhood trying to scare little kids. If you really can't stand letting your kids get a little frightened and have fun, don't take them out on Halloween! Don't ruin it for the people who are in the Halloween spirit!

I know this happened a long time ago, but it still ticks me off. >w<;;
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 01:18:56 AM by Lita Julgaupe Renard »

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
    • Awards
Re: A Rant About A Past Halloween Experience
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 01:16:31 AM »
First of all, *applause* for actually being something scary for halloween. Second, that mother needs to either let her kid be scared, or keep them inside on halloween. I agree with every single part of your post, is what I'm trying to say.

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 01:16:40 AM »
Unfortunately not all parents share the same opinion, mothers are generally protective of their children if the children show discontent towards a person or persons.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »
Unfortunately not all parents share the same opinion, mothers are generally protective of their children if the children show discontent towards a person or persons.
I understand that, but she should know what happens on Halloween. :/

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 02:42:56 AM »
Ya know? If I was that kid's parent, I'd probably laugh while my son or daughter ran to hide behind me (I hope that doesn't make me a bad parent :/ but w/e). I've had my halloween experiences, they were never freightening, just SCARY. It wasn't kids scaring eachother in costumes, it was kids doing drive-by's with eggs, paintballs, BB guns, and homemade explosives.

Don't mind me, I like to do my share of scaring myself. I like to dress up as a dead guy chillin on the front porch and kids have to come up to you and take the candy from the basket on your lap. At that point, I jump up and scare the **** outta them. xD Works everytime...some kids start crying tho then I feel bad. :(

THEN those kids with the toilet paper, eggs, and paintballs don't know that the shotgun suicide victim on the front porch is very much alive...with a gun. ;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 03:39:25 AM by Spike »

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 02:59:47 AM »
Yea, I mean, its "Trick or Treat" you know?
We totally need to re-spookify Halloween. :)

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 01:08:22 PM »
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with you, Lita. I mean, I'm not being anything scary this year (Chun-Li from Street Fighter) but I still get what you're saying. (Though there is the view of Halloween being a day to be something you're not too, so that kind keys in there, but still.)
And if the mother had looked at her daughter's face, she would have seen that she wasn't scared. I mean, did the child scream or cry? No. You said she looked surprised and amused. But then again, maybe the mother interprets "surprised" as "scared".
I can't blame you for being bothered by it still. I have experiences from years ago that still stick with me now, even stupid little things that I shouldn't care about anymore since nobody else probably even remembers them.

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 04:01:14 PM »
Honestly, Halloween isn't scary anymore because it's being downplayed a lot more. This year was the first year in my life I've seen a mother get mad at her kid for wanting a shirt with Frankenstein on it, and it's sad when you go into a store and the Christmas isle is bigger than the Halloween isle during Halloween's season. I think the reason why is because everything (at least around here anyway) is getting more Christian-y (Not saying being Christian is a bad thing) and most Christians are uninformed that Halloween celebrates a harvest. Most of them are ill informed and assume HALLOWEEN IS THE DEVILLLL.

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 04:19:33 PM »
I agree on that one for sure, a lot of religion seems to add in on Halloween thinking there's some sort of hidden evil that is out to taint the innocent. Perhaps even with that mother and the girl, unfortunately it came into play with me personally back when I was trick-or-treating. My mom always had these rules about "demonic" costumes because it would be "supporting Satan" so me and my siblings weren't allowed any sort of "scary" costumes and she held these judgments against people just for participating in harmless deviant behavior like scaring people. I still think it was a severe disappointment and greatly hindered much of the excitement because as the mother with the young girl my mother would have acted in the same way even if I did enjoy it just because she wanted to force her opinion.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:21:31 PM by White Wolf Guardian »
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 05:45:41 PM »
Oh that makes me sad. Honestly, I don't do much other than watch horror movies and volunteer my time at a haunted trail. Heck, it's a win win, I help a charity by scaring people and the people want to be scared obviously since they pay to get in. Plus I get to see all the blood and guts I want and no one can say anything against it. Either way, it's starting to get ridiculous with how Christmas is overshadowing Halloween all because it's a "Jesus holiday" and Halloween isn't. It kinda makes me mad. But I guess the same can be said for Thanksgiving.

Offline Self-sain

• The Unlikely Love
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • black and white isn't to bad
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Foat (Bat/Fox)
  • Coloring: purpule
  • Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 112
  • Build: thin some tone
  • Currently: Done with everything
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 07:34:13 PM »
Christmas is like the ultimate troll, its is the only holiday, that takes over every store  at least two months in advance.

Anyways, hallowen doesn't have to be necessarily scary, but you can't hate on someone for scaring people, isn't that all the fun
if you ever want to see Lil Johny again...
YOU WILL LOOK D:<

Offline Kodachi Devil

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Bunbun! Bunbun! Yes I am!
    • Awards
  • Species: Squirrel
  • Coloring: Brown Fur, BBrown Hair.
  • Height: 5'11&quot;
  • Weight: 119 lbs.
  • Build: Medium
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 07:51:47 PM »
I so agree with the halloween thing.
I LOVE being scared, personally. Adds a lil fun to boring every day life.
And like....well.... Ijust totally agree because a similar experience happened with me last year o-o. (I was like, 12. I dont know how a 12 year old scares a lil kid, but uh... yeah)

I'm a devil, but I'm not bad most of the time. Okay I'm only bad some of the time. Okay maybe I'm bad all of the time. ;D

I heart Girls Generation! <3

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 10:44:23 PM »
Hehe, I'm not very good at scaring people. A weird thing about me is if someone tries to scare me most of the time I don't, but if someone walks up from behind me and says "Hi" I freak out. LOL XD

Anyway, I'm happy there are other people who have noticed this Halloween issue. I don't have much to add to what everyone has said, other than the "Christians freaking out over Halloween" thing.
I agree somewhat, but I guess it has to do with which type of Christianity it is. There is a church near my house that is famous for having Halloween festivals, and they do a bit of the scary stuff too. I'm not sure what the exact belief is there, but they don't seem too worried about Halloween being the devil. X3

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 05:33:54 AM »
I agree somewhat, but I guess it has to do with which type of Christianity it is. There is a church near my house that is famous for having Halloween festivals, and they do a bit of the scary stuff too. I'm not sure what the exact belief is there, but they don't seem too worried about Halloween being the devil. X3

I'm not saying all are like that. I just said the ones around here are like that. I mean, after all I am in the southern bible belt.

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 06:18:03 AM »
Yeah, I know. X3