The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice: Telling others about being furry  (Read 86973 times)

Offline Kodachi Devil

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Bunbun! Bunbun! Yes I am!
    • Awards
  • Species: Squirrel
  • Coloring: Brown Fur, BBrown Hair.
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 119 lbs.
  • Build: Medium
Re: Advice: Telling others about being furry
« Reply #330 on: April 02, 2011, 08:27:07 PM »
And foxy is the reason i don't tell my parents stuff @_@.
I'm a devil, but I'm not bad most of the time. Okay I'm only bad some of the time. Okay maybe I'm bad all of the time. ;D

I heart Girls Generation! <3

Offline Egan

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • lmoa im not here
    • Awards
  • Species: Air Dragon
  • Coloring: Dragon fursona, White with black underbelly and purple inner ears
  • Height: 5 '9
  • Weight: 179 Pounds
  • Build: Muscular
« Reply #331 on: April 02, 2011, 08:30:57 PM »
No, I doubt your parents were as harsh as mine. Mine were die-hard christians, and forced me to spent hours at chruch on sundays trying ot make me "Repent for the sins I've committed". Then I told them that I didnt even believe in god, the started the beatings, luckly, I was very active in my parkour (Even more than now, I had almost no friends back then, I was a loner and used the streets as a way of venting) So when they started I could take it, but then my dad thought he was tougher than I would ever be.
I'd rather not continue in public.... If you want to know you can PM me though....

Offline Kodachi Devil

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Bunbun! Bunbun! Yes I am!
    • Awards
  • Species: Squirrel
  • Coloring: Brown Fur, BBrown Hair.
  • Height: 5'11&quot;
  • Weight: 119 lbs.
  • Build: Medium
« Reply #332 on: April 02, 2011, 08:34:12 PM »
Can't send pms from my phone, but if you feel comfortable telling me i'd like to know. And yeah my parents arent that harsh but something happened that made me quite paranoid and i'm not sure why, so yeah.
I'm a devil, but I'm not bad most of the time. Okay I'm only bad some of the time. Okay maybe I'm bad all of the time. ;D

I heart Girls Generation! <3

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #333 on: April 03, 2011, 12:15:15 AM »
my brother knows..and god i never hear the end of it
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline Cifero Windtail

• Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
  • I never give up... so don't push me. >_<
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Crat Feline-crow mix. (Just found out.... I HAVE FRACKING WINGS!!) (SO freaked out!!)
  • Coloring: Grey with dark grey stripes, Black hair, light blue scleras and blue corneas,
  • Height: 5' 10&quot;
  • Weight: 89 lbs. and then about 50 more (about 139 lbs.); he's fit, but he's not muscular. Has a bit of an outie.
  • Build: Lithe but wiry; a little soft around the middle, but it's hardly noticeable; he's actually got a rather feminine form.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Holding out for a hero... but always having to save myself.
« Reply #334 on: April 05, 2011, 01:42:45 AM »
Tee-hee.
My cousins know today.
I'm also out of the closet. Well, not like, out. I just notified the family ahead of time not to be alarmed if i hook up with a guy.
Congratulations! I hope that all goes well!
As for my attempts to announce that I'm a furry at school, they aren't going well... due to the fact that nobody there right now seems to know what furries are.
  • Avatar by: I have three or four great ones: one by Sabah and a few by Lovableoutcast/Kishi... and also this one, drawn by Kayato/ Kaya... thanks guys. ^_^
  • Signature art by: I just want to tell you, the reference is a link to my other fursona.  Also: http://www.sanger.dk/
(I love my sister) http://www.zark.com http://www.zark.com/pages2/az66/az66b.html
Don't mess with Grammaton Clerics. THEY WILL END YOU.

Offline Egan

• Chatty Cheetah
  • lmoa im not here
    • Awards
  • Species: Air Dragon
  • Coloring: Dragon fursona, White with black underbelly and purple inner ears
  • Height: 5 '9
  • Weight: 179 Pounds
  • Build: Muscular
« Reply #335 on: April 05, 2011, 01:44:01 AM »
For windtail, Ease the main ideas in, then get into the details.

Offline The_GMan

• Avid Aardvark
  • You haz, one new message. *bip*
    • Awards
« Reply #336 on: April 05, 2011, 06:24:58 AM »
Tee-hee.
My cousins know today.
I'm also out of the closet. Well, not like, out. I just notified the family ahead of time not to be alarmed if i hook up with a guy.
Congratulations! I hope that all goes well!
As for my attempts to announce that I'm a furry at school, they aren't going well... due to the fact that nobody there right now seems to know what furries are.
Same thing here, I doubt very much that they know what a furry is, that's why I can have furry art laying around and they just get confused :D
Hoo Wee! Makin' bacon!
I'm a gay(or bi) furry that lives on a pineapple under the sea! X3
Meh contacts :3

MSN*No e-mails here please*
E-Mail*Put e-mails here*
FaceBook
YouTube

I'm The GMan! I haz teleporting powers and I can freeze you in time and place in stasis for 20 years :D

Offline Cifero Windtail

• Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
  • I never give up... so don't push me. >_<
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Crat Feline-crow mix. (Just found out.... I HAVE FRACKING WINGS!!) (SO freaked out!!)
  • Coloring: Grey with dark grey stripes, Black hair, light blue scleras and blue corneas,
  • Height: 5' 10&quot;
  • Weight: 89 lbs. and then about 50 more (about 139 lbs.); he's fit, but he's not muscular. Has a bit of an outie.
  • Build: Lithe but wiry; a little soft around the middle, but it's hardly noticeable; he's actually got a rather feminine form.
  • Currently: Holding out for a hero... but always having to save myself.
« Reply #337 on: April 11, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »
I'll figure something out...
  • Avatar by: I have three or four great ones: one by Sabah and a few by Lovableoutcast/Kishi... and also this one, drawn by Kayato/ Kaya... thanks guys. ^_^
  • Signature art by: I just want to tell you, the reference is a link to my other fursona.  Also: http://www.sanger.dk/
(I love my sister) http://www.zark.com http://www.zark.com/pages2/az66/az66b.html
Don't mess with Grammaton Clerics. THEY WILL END YOU.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #338 on: April 11, 2011, 10:22:59 PM »
if I wanted my family meddling into my private life, then I would tell them. So no, I don't tell them :/
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline Vinny Raccoon

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: raccoon
  • Coloring: grey with black mask & striped tail
  • Height: 3'5"
  • Build: cute
« Reply #339 on: May 14, 2011, 07:22:48 AM »
i told my friends and family that im a fur and there ok with it. and if there not ok with it, then i don't give a troll's butt
Eatch mistake you make act's like a teacher in the end!

Offline noob

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: dog, Not sure what kind...
  • Coloring: german shepard colors
« Reply #340 on: May 19, 2011, 01:59:47 AM »
A couple months ago I told my brother about furries...he got in trouble for something...And decided he would try to get me introuble with furries....Thankfully Since this is a family oriented sight I got in no trouble   X3

However...I do feel kind-of ackward tho...Furries are something personal to me, that I wanted close friends, and others that I know for sure are are furries also to know about this... But whatever...
Me:

Furaffinity account: (Same as my account here)
Steam: dontbebob63   Feel free to add me but tell me you are from the forum and who you are on here :3

Offline Zaspher

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
  • Species: Dog/Deer hybrid (an akita with antlers)
  • Coloring: Navy Blue & white. Brown and purple eyes.
  • Height: 6''2"
  • Weight: 210
  • Build: large and floofy
« Reply #341 on: May 19, 2011, 03:10:32 AM »
Well my Mom's okay to tell my little brother and sister maybe. My Dad on the other hand is really different. I hate to say this but he is close to the worst you can get when it comes to anti-gay support. He refuses to talk to anyone who is Gay/Bi and has told me ever since I was very young that they are the direct spawn of Satan himself. He tried to move me from a classroom once because he thought one of my classmates was gay (even though he wasn't). He made me delete my Facebook for a whole year because I befriended my uncle whom is gay. Now having thoughts towards men ever since early middle school he's scared me to death. I love my father but I wish he could be changed sadly it's far too difficult for me to handle.

I'm not saying all furries are gay. It's just that there's far too many stereotypes out there that he'll eventually pick up and when he does you guessed it. :( ...

I told a few friends I was a furry though, they tease me about it occasionaly but only for fun.

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
    • Awards
« Reply #342 on: May 19, 2011, 05:23:12 AM »
That stinks, man. Yeah, it's best to keep that information from your dad. Until he finally realizes he's been a hateful ... *tries to think of a PG word* ... meanie head. Yeah. .w.;;

I've found it pretty easy to explain the fandom to people, and so far no one has been hateful. I've told some of my teachers, family members, and friends. I made a new friend recently while going to Chicago with my Ceramics class. I told her about me being a furry and explained the fandom, and she thought it was interesting. Of course I always warn them about the stereotypes and the "don't mindlessly search it on Google, you'll most likely find the bad stuff and anti-pages first" thing.

Although my dad was the first I told about the fandom, he still gets confused on what it is and I have to keep reminding him that it's NOT about crazy people acting like animals and walking around in fursuits all the time... -_-;;

Offline Kaprika

• tottaly boss artist
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
    • DeviantArt
    • Deviantart
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf/snow leopard
  • Coloring: light blue, white and black
  • Height: 7 foot 5 inches
  • Weight: thin
  • Build: medium light
  • Currently: eh
« Reply #343 on: May 19, 2011, 06:23:11 AM »
today started out rather on a bad note....early in the morning and sitting in the poring rain...but i was kept company by a random tennant from my apartment complex whom had just gotten off work from Burger King
...we talked for a hours time, and i talked to him about my "buisness" of art...how i draw fursonas. when i said furries he made a face and immediately said "oh...your one of THOSE people"
but just when i thought i was loosing his interest i swiftly corrected him about what furries are...he had seen on TV about us...and he thought we were people that just "did stuff" in fury suits.

i was happy to find i was able to better his image of what a furry is..and he was happy to be corrected, and i think in that aspect...i made the world just a little bit better for furry-kind...it felt nice to be able to de-program even one person that had been wrongfuly installed with a ill informed opinion of us..though ill admit i sort of stumbled around my words...there are so many ways to describe a furry, but its hard to condense us in so few words as to not bore or confuse a person..when someone asks you what a furry is...what do YOU tell them?

how do you describe us to those with no knowledge of us....and how do you describe us to those that have a bad view of us, and make them rethink there ill thoughts?
does it come easy to you?...or are you too at a loss for words on such short notice?

<-------this ish me :3  

Shadow hide you..

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #344 on: May 19, 2011, 06:27:42 AM »
Merged your thread with the Advice thread that was already in place, Kaprika.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.