The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice: Telling others about being furry  (Read 86942 times)

Offline Kodachi Devil

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Bunbun! Bunbun! Yes I am!
    • Awards
  • Species: Squirrel
  • Coloring: Brown Fur, BBrown Hair.
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 119 lbs.
  • Build: Medium
Re: Advice: Telling others about being furry
« Reply #315 on: March 21, 2011, 10:58:13 PM »
Ok. Sorry WZ.
I'm a devil, but I'm not bad most of the time. Okay I'm only bad some of the time. Okay maybe I'm bad all of the time. ;D

I heart Girls Generation! <3

Offline @Breathless@

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Smilodon/Tiger Hybrid
  • Coloring: Brown with a pattern of rings and stripes all over the body. Tan underbelly, yellow eyes, and six-inch sabers. Medium-long tail.
  • Height: 6'4&quot;
  • Weight: 125 lbs.
  • Build: Medium-light.
« Reply #316 on: March 22, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »
I'm not going to tell anyone just yet, though I'd like to eventually. It shouldn't be a problem unless they decide to google it or something. I shouldn't have any trouble wearing collars, and maybe even tails around them; I've always had a kinda weird taste in clothes and such, so it wouldn't be too unusual.

Offline Cifero Windtail

• Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • I never give up... so don't push me. >_<
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Crat Feline-crow mix. (Just found out.... I HAVE FRACKING WINGS!!) (SO freaked out!!)
  • Coloring: Grey with dark grey stripes, Black hair, light blue scleras and blue corneas,
  • Height: 5' 10&quot;
  • Weight: 89 lbs. and then about 50 more (about 139 lbs.); he's fit, but he's not muscular. Has a bit of an outie.
  • Build: Lithe but wiry; a little soft around the middle, but it's hardly noticeable; he's actually got a rather feminine form.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Holding out for a hero... but always having to save myself.
« Reply #317 on: March 23, 2011, 04:00:26 AM »
Sorry, WingedZephyr. I'll stay on topic.
  • Avatar by: I have three or four great ones: one by Sabah and a few by Lovableoutcast/Kishi... and also this one, drawn by Kayato/ Kaya... thanks guys. ^_^
  • Signature art by: I just want to tell you, the reference is a link to my other fursona.  Also: http://www.sanger.dk/
(I love my sister) http://www.zark.com http://www.zark.com/pages2/az66/az66b.html
Don't mess with Grammaton Clerics. THEY WILL END YOU.

Offline Tatter

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • My Site (Author)
    • Awards
  • Species: Lion
  • Coloring: yellow fur with red/orange markings around his eyes (like eye shadow) and like wise colored mane.
  • Height: apx 6'2 bipedal, normal sized quad
  • Weight: apx 175 pipedal, normal for lions quad
  • Build: bipedal he's lanky with a little muscle build from just working, simular quad
« Reply #318 on: March 24, 2011, 06:22:53 AM »
just a note: reactions will always very, these are the same in all "Coming out" scenarios where what you are is considered by the awkward social morals we force upon ourselves as "wrong"

disapproval, there will always be someone who dissaproves, often it is someone who is not to close, unless your parents are jerks, they will talk out against you for it, put you down for it, attempt to do a little to make you feel bad for being a furry

ignorance- no im not talking about stupidity=ignorance, im talking about ignoring you, this often happens with PARENTS, you've just come out, you want some kind of reaction, you may get an "Uh-Hum" and thats it, nothing more, unfortunately if you push this kind of person, it often turns into disapproval

acknoledgement- while it isn't full on acceptance, this is ok, they acknowledge you are a furry, they don't dissaprove, they apparently don't want much to do with it, but the ywont hinder you, and they are not ignoring you

approval- the usual really good happening, the one you told, approves of it, probably thinks its cute, and supports you for being a furry!

involvement- this is rare, but it happens, sort of is happening to me, it happens when the person you told wants to become more involved into what you are or what you are doing,
for example my mother invited me to watch a part of hawaii five oh the other day because they where at a convention with furries (think it was sci fi con or  comic con cause i saw wonderwoman, who, as far as i know, is not an often furrycon visitor) this could be anything as little as to what i just mentioned, as big as she wants to tow along on your conventions, to hang in the background at least, or as very big as, she's now going to become a furry, i dunno, if my mom came out as a furry, i'd think that was pretty awsome

You may break my spirit, my heart, and my body, but you will never break my pride.
Texas Furries unite!
http://texasfurries.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline serpington

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online
  • I'm not a bad man.....I just do things bad men do.
    • Awards
  • Species: Spider
  • Coloring: Black with red patterning
  • Height: 10 foot
  • Currently: silently watching
« Reply #319 on: March 24, 2011, 08:51:16 AM »
i think my mum knows more than she lets on,and that she suspects something, that or i'm just way to lucky and she didn't take advantage of the two gaping holes in my security eirlier today. man i was freaked out when i noticed them.
“I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
"If ever you should need my life, come and take it. If I die, I forgive you, if I recover, we shall see."

Offline Aklaya

• Avid Aardvark
  • Drawn by DALizzard Colored by me
    • Awards
  • Species: dragon
  • Coloring: purple w/ black belly horns spikes ect.
  • Height: about 5'5'' 5'1'' not including horns
  • Build: lean thin slightly muscular
« Reply #320 on: March 24, 2011, 10:06:17 AM »
Tatter, I saw that episode they didn't show the furries much the cops where looking for a suspect and some other guy was like she hangs out in the furry fandom section so they walked over there, the two other furries she was talking to walked away when she started talking to the cops and that was it.
Sorry for getting off subject, just wanted to help clear that up.
*Aklaya*

Offline Kodachi Devil

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Height: 5'11&quot;
« Reply #321 on: March 24, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »
We talkin old hawaii five o or new one?
And my mom is using this as an oppurtunity to make fun of me.
She called me furry obsessed in a store full of comic nerds o_o
i got weird looks and a nod of approval from an older gentleman
I'm a devil, but I'm not bad most of the time. Okay I'm only bad some of the time. Okay maybe I'm bad all of the time. ;D

Offline Cifero Windtail

• Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • I never give up... so don't push me. >_<
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Crat Feline-crow mix. (Just found out.... I HAVE FRACKING WINGS!!) (SO freaked out!!)
  • Coloring: Grey with dark grey stripes, Black hair, light blue scleras and blue corneas,
  • Height: 5' 10&quot;
  • Weight: 89 lbs. and then about 50 more (about 139 lbs.); he's fit, but he's not muscular. Has a bit of an outie.
  • Build: Lithe but wiry; a little soft around the middle, but it's hardly noticeable; he's actually got a rather feminine form.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Holding out for a hero... but always having to save myself.
« Reply #322 on: March 24, 2011, 10:03:45 PM »
Man. Your mom sounds kinda mean.
But so what? It's your decision. If people don't like it, their lives will be a little less enriched.  :)
  • Avatar by: I have three or four great ones: one by Sabah and a few by Lovableoutcast/Kishi... and also this one, drawn by Kayato/ Kaya... thanks guys. ^_^
  • Signature art by: I just want to tell you, the reference is a link to my other fursona.  Also: http://www.sanger.dk/
(I love my sister) http://www.zark.com http://www.zark.com/pages2/az66/az66b.html
Don't mess with Grammaton Clerics. THEY WILL END YOU.

Offline Kodachi Devil

• Foxy Fox
    • Awards
« Reply #323 on: March 24, 2011, 10:05:39 PM »
Meh, whatever. I kinda don't care o_o

Offline The_GMan

• Avid Aardvark
  • You haz, one new message. *bip*
    • Awards
« Reply #324 on: March 27, 2011, 01:35:07 AM »
Today my big brother came to our house for dinner with his girlfriend, my mom, my brother and his girlfriend came to my room to see some old photos on my computer and since I now have great artwork as my desktop wallpaper they saw it and they thought it was very cool, they don't know I'm a furry nor they know what a furry is.
I also uploaded that great art to my Facebook page, I'm hoping that none of my school mates starts an argument because of that.
Hoo Wee! Makin' bacon!
I'm a gay(or bi) furry that lives on a pineapple under the sea! X3
Meh contacts :3

MSN*No e-mails here please*
E-Mail*Put e-mails here*
FaceBook
YouTube

I'm The GMan! I haz teleporting powers and I can freeze you in time and place in stasis for 20 years :D

Offline Kodachi Devil

• Foxy Fox
    • Awards
« Reply #325 on: March 27, 2011, 02:40:46 AM »
Tee-hee.
My cousins know today.
I'm also out of the closet. Well, not like, out. I just notified the family ahead of time not to be alarmed if i hook up with a guy.

Offline .: ♥ Kiniia ♥ :.

• Pony and Coffee Lover
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • yes yes i would like a coffee pls.
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: White fur and blonde hair with very light cyan
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 110
  • Build: Slight and weak
  • Currently: thingken of goign fast... ;~;
« Reply #326 on: March 27, 2011, 04:57:03 AM »
My mom has known about me being in the fandom since I joined it, and she was just like 'okay...bring your washing down then'

Still haven't really told my friends, I doubt they'd care at all but meh.

As for regards to coming out with bi-ness and gender stuffs. nope. told my girlfriend and a few close friends, but that's it.

I hope you will remember me, At least say so to comfort me, You say goodbye so easily, Its now or never, It may seem really pitiful, But life became too beautiful, The pain of love unbearable, It's now or never, Gone Forever.

Offline Egan

• Chatty Cheetah
  • lmoa im not here
    • Awards
  • Species: Air Dragon
  • Coloring: Dragon fursona, White with black underbelly and purple inner ears
  • Height: 5 '9
  • Weight: 179 Pounds
  • Build: Muscular
« Reply #327 on: April 02, 2011, 04:55:01 PM »
Well I've been discovered by my dad, who I had to set him straight about what I was, and what I liked.
He proceeded to beat me, after that I  couldn't take it, so I fought back.
Stand up for who you are, and dont let anyone put you down for what you like.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #328 on: April 02, 2011, 05:45:02 PM »
wow foxy just wow i'm sorry D:
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline Egan

• Chatty Cheetah
  • lmoa im not here
    • Awards
  • Species: Air Dragon
  • Coloring: Dragon fursona, White with black underbelly and purple inner ears
  • Height: 5 '9
  • Weight: 179 Pounds
  • Build: Muscular
« Reply #329 on: April 02, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »
Its okay.
It ened up making me stronger. And I broke his arm.
I told if he didnt like me, he wont have someone to pay for his funeral and his retirement home.