The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice: Telling others about being furry  (Read 86996 times)

Offline DatFox Coleo

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mordecai!
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Fox
  • Coloring: White
  • Height: 5 foot, 2 inches
  • Weight: 110 pounds
  • Build: Slim, Agile
Re: Advice: Telling others about being furry
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2010, 09:03:01 PM »
My mother knows.. But no one else. And my father watches CSI, and has seen the furry episode... He keeps a fully loaded beretta near him at all times so I nearly peed my pants when I told my mother
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:59:19 AM by DatFox Coleo »
A young man can be sent to a far away location, far from family to die for his country in the feild of battle at a certian age, but not be old enough to vote. - Myself

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »
i hate to be hatin on all of you guys cause i'm not really, but i do wanna say this;

you guys seem to treat being furry like people treat being gay. it's really not. being furry means nothing more than what kinda music you listen to or what kinds of games you like to play. the idea of 'coming out' as a furry to me just sounds totally ridiculous. it really is not that bigger deal.

I said something about that a few pages back, I believe.

...Best idea, don't treat it like it's bad to be a furry. Don't shout it out to the world, but don't try to hide it. Just treat it just like any other interest, because it's nothing more than that.
Shouting out how you're a furry will make people think you're looking for attention, and trying to keep it a secret will make it appear like it's a shameful, terrible interest.
It's as easy as saying you like to watch anime, or read and write comic books.

My interest is drawing and writing and/or watching and reading about anthropomorphic animals.

Simple as that.

Many people, including non-furs, like cartoon characters such as Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Garfield, and other popular anthropomorphs. I'm sure even anti-furs like them! What is so bad about liking those types of characters? NOTHING. What's so bad about making you own character based on an animal? NOTHING. That's what the creators did to create their cartoons.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:14:03 PM by Riley Latiri »

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
  • Species: Herbivorous Lion
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2010, 11:14:36 PM »
i hate to be hatin on all of you guys cause i'm not really, but i do wanna say this;

you guys seem to treat being furry like people treat being gay. it's really not. being furry means nothing more than what kinda music you listen to or what kinds of games you like to play. the idea of 'coming out' as a furry to me just sounds totally ridiculous. it really is not that bigger deal.

I said something about that a few pages back, I believe.

...Best idea, don't treat it like it's bad to be a furry. Don't shout it out to the world, but don't try to hide it. Just treat it just like any other interest, because it's nothing more than that.
Shouting out how you're a furry will make people think you're looking for attention, and trying to keep it a secret will make it appear like it's a shameful, terrible interest.
It's as easy as saying you like to watch anime, or read and write comic books.

My interest is drawing and writing and/or watching and reading about anthropomorphic animals.

Simple as that.

Many people, including non-furs, like cartoon characters such as Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Garfield, and other popular anthropomorphs. I'm sure even anti-furs like them! What is so bad about liking those types of characters? NOTHING. What's so bad about making you own character based on an animal? NOTHING. That's what the creators did to create their cartoons.

couldn't agree with you more my ... babe?!?!?! and i think that's all i have to say. *ends sentence*
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:27:16 PM by josh_down »
The further on I go, all the less i know.
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline Crevan Fox

• Kuddly Kitten
  • The Neon Arctic Foxy
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Neon Green (On feet, paws, both ears, tip of tail and stomach), White (Everywhere else). All green parts are togglable bioluminescent
  • Height: Anthro: 1.85 m; Feral: 25 cm
  • Weight: Anthro: 82 kg; Feral: 3.5 kg
  • Build: Fluffy
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2010, 11:16:01 PM »
I wouldn't say that if i was you, She is a she XD

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
  • Species: Herbivorous Lion
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2010, 11:28:12 PM »
I wouldn't say that if i was you, She is a she XD

changed... if anything to something more offensive.

to latiri - don't be offended, i'm not really of stable mind right now
The further on I go, all the less i know.
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline Crevan Fox

• Kuddly Kitten
  • The Neon Arctic Foxy
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Neon Green (On feet, paws, both ears, tip of tail and stomach), White (Everywhere else). All green parts are togglable bioluminescent
  • Height: Anthro: 1.85 m; Feral: 25 cm
  • Weight: Anthro: 82 kg; Feral: 3.5 kg
  • Build: Fluffy
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2010, 11:30:08 PM »
Yeah that isn't much better XD

Just say 'my friend'

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2010, 11:40:22 PM »
LOL! Dun worry about it, I'm mistaken for a guy a lot. It's a bit more understandable with this fursona. I dun quite understand what makes my other one (Lita Julgaupe the lynxbear) almost always seen as a guy. Lita is a girly name, right? XD

Back on topic somewhat, I swear I saw a guy with a fur con t-shirt at school. It probably wasn't one (Who would wear a fur con shirt to school, with all the hate and such?), but it looked like it. O_O
My heart skipped a beat when I saw it and I thought "I'm not the only furry here?! OMG!!"

Offline AuraFox

• Vibrating Furby
  • music is my emotion. confusion is my personality
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger
  • Coloring: orange, crimson, black
  • Height: 6' 1.5''
  • Weight: 120
  • Build: scrawny
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2010, 02:17:14 AM »
My advice. Don't. Just dont. When I did I ended up with many bus rides with my friend who as it turns out despises furries
music is my emotion. im so flipping confused, i cant even tell what emotion im feeling at any given moment

Offline Zephri

• Avid Aardvark
  • =^,.,^=
    • Awards
  • Species: Cougar
  • Coloring: Normal cougar colors. Darkish/light brown fur.
  • Height: 6.1'
  • Weight: 180
  • Build: Thin, but not weak.
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2010, 02:28:16 AM »
Imho a "friend" won't care what hobbies you have and will accept you for who you are.

That my friend, is not a friend.
"Too much pride leads to arrogance, and too much arrogance leads to downfalls."

Offline Random User

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Hyena
  • Coloring: Black 'n' Grey
  • Height: Five feet, six inches.
  • Weight: 125lbs
  • Build: Average
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2010, 02:44:31 AM »
My parents just thought I crossed into another new threshold of weirdness when I told them, but they didn't care if I was a furry.
Melt in the Sun! Melt in the Sun! Who wants to come with me to melt in the Sun?
Hide in the sky! Hide in the sky! Who wants to come with me and hide in the sky?

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2010, 03:47:40 AM »
As I said once here, my dad has no problem with me being a furry. But I did warn him that some furries are attracted to non-human animals/anthropomorphs. I just found out today that he thinks those people are just joking around, trying to be different or something. I guess that's okay for him to think. Doesn't harm me any. XD
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:49:26 AM by Lita Julgaupe »

Offline Star Dark Furr

• Vibrating Furby
  • colorado furry
    • Awards
  • Species: horse
  • Coloring: dark brown with a white star on her forehead and white fetlocks
  • Height: 5 foot 7 inches
  • Build: average
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2010, 03:41:59 PM »
Hello, I am 15 years old and i really want to tell my mother that I'm furry and i think that she'd understand. I've written out everything i wanna say just how i wanna say it. but I'm also worried that maybe she wont understand. I mean its really nothing bad to me and i don't think she'd see anything wrong with it i just need to get the guts to do it. Maybe someone here has been through something similar and if so could you please give me advice? I'd really appreciate that.
Heyas! here is a mare full of excitement and love
 while i am male in real life i am female online. :3 
 my master: Wolfy wet furr, i love him much

Offline Crash the dog

• Avid Aardvark
  • Marf?
    • Crash's youtube channel
    • Awards
  • Species: Doggy!
  • Coloring: Black, grey, and white
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2010, 08:21:41 PM »
Hello, I am 15 years old and i really want to tell my mother that I'm furry and i think that she'd understand. I've written out everything i wanna say just how i wanna say it. but I'm also worried that maybe she wont understand. I mean its really nothing bad to me and i don't think she'd see anything wrong with it i just need to get the guts to do it. Maybe someone here has been through something similar and if so could you please give me advice? I'd really appreciate that.

Why share like that? You don't need to tell your mom, "Hey mom, I just wanted you to know that I've become... a fan of video games, and here's a comprehensive list of details you need to know about this". You also don't need to tell your mom in detail that you're a fan of rollerblading, or baking, or Michael Jackson impersonators, or anthropomorphic animals. Hobbies are hobbies. I'm not saying you should keep it private and to yourself, but making a big list or speech about things to discuss would put me off if I were in your mom's shoes. I'd wonder, "This discussion about this furry fandom seems well thought out... Is there something related to this that I'm not being told about?"

My recommendation is, just keep it as a part of your life, without it being some kind of secret. If she were to ask you something about it, just answer her question. There's no real need to plan out a speech or a list of points to discuss.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:03:06 PM by Crash the dog »

Offline Star Dark Furr

• Vibrating Furby
  • colorado furry
    • Awards
  • Species: horse
  • Coloring: dark brown with a white star on her forehead and white fetlocks
  • Height: 5 foot 7 inches
  • Build: average
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2010, 09:09:40 PM »
i want to tell her im furry so i can go to conventions, its the only way i could go. and i dont wanna keep it secret anymore
Heyas! here is a mare full of excitement and love
 while i am male in real life i am female online. :3 
 my master: Wolfy wet furr, i love him much

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2010, 01:11:15 AM »
so tell her.