The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: WTF! so much bad publicity!  (Read 2161 times)

Offline KittKat chunky~

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • 100% chocolate-wafer feline!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lynx / Wildcat
  • Coloring: Dappled brown-grey and white
  • Height: 5' 7" ish
  • Build: Chunkeh
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Nom!
Re: WTF! so much bad publicity!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 02:21:42 PM »
oho! its back to the stereotyping!  >:(

i hate stereotyping of anyone, furries, homosexual ANYTHING! its people ingorance and hate for these stereotyped "groups"
  • Avatar by: Avatar art drawn by me
100% chocolate-wafer feline!

"The Slovak optimist is learning English, the Slovak pesimist is learning Russian and the Slovak realist is learning to shoot an AK-47"

Offline artimus

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 6' 1''
  • Weight: 189
  • Build: Average build, fairly skinny.
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 10:46:17 PM »
I don't know what you're talking about with the "stereotype' thing, dude. Don't all of us screw animals? I mean, come on. Don't we? You can't deny it.

This is why the name of Fox news is ironic, all of this sensationalist, lying bullspit. The news media doesn't want heart-warming human interest stories, and they don't want to open peoples' minds, they want ratings. And the only thing that increases ratings more than a heart-warming story is a story about how we're all going to die and stories about murderers and evil cults and all that ***Auto-Censor***. Even if those stories are lies.

People will believe whatever the TV tells them. This is why I hold that, in general, humans are bad people.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 11:49:50 PM by RigorMortis »

Offline Fenrir

• Boisterous Bear
  • Please, call me Asimov.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Height: 6 foot
  • Weight: 160
  • Build: Lithe
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 10:04:50 PM »
There's a school of thought that that mentality belongs to, but I've been out of school too long to remember what it's called.   ;)  Wh-what?!  Where's my profile picture?  Ugh... I'll have to make a new one.   :(

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 12:44:20 AM »
There's a school of thought that that mentality belongs to, but I've been out of school too long to remember what it's called.   ;)  Wh-what?!  Where's my profile picture?  Ugh... I'll have to make a new one.   :(

Nihilism? Anti-philanthropy? Nega-humanation?
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Species: A mythical creature called an Almiraj.
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: Not good with height.
  • Weight: Not good with weight, either.
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 12:44:44 AM »
I actually saw that "Uncle Furry Wants YOU" poster on Deviant Art. I'll admit, it looked dumb, but it's not like we really desearve to die. There's this one guy I am talking with on the Deviant Art page, and this is how it has gone so far.
Troll: Furries desearve death.
Benny: Furry haters are just trolls with big ugly noses.
Troll: Die.
Benny: I am sure everyone wants the same of you.
Troll: Die.
Benny: That's it? My baby brother can come up with better insults!

The next thing he says, I am going to reply with "You were up all night thinking of that one, weren't you?"

Also, Artimus, you are right on the mark.

I think there's something that needs to be understood between furries and the rest of the community. Furries are going to be hated, for one reason or another. That's...just how it is. It was the same with trekkies, homosexuals, and various minorities be they religious or racial. There's going to be haters. The only thing that can be done is to adjust how we react to them. Right now, if you call a furry a freak, chances are they'll complain about it forever, and that's understandable. No one likes being discriminated against. However, that's also where 4Channers and other anti-furry people get their fun. They love it when we go "OMG I AM NOT A FREAK WAAAAAAAAAAAH!" It's funny to 'em. But if we just said, "Yeah, cool, whatever." What's funny about that? Nothing. Once we stop reacting so heavily, making fun of the fandom will become boring. Like poking a pile of goo. (No derogatory comparisons intended)

Funny thing. That guy from Youtube FINALLY figured that out. He says he went back to an Anti-Furry forum, and says he made a better impression.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:52:25 AM by Benny »

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline artimus

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 09:47:14 AM »
Maybe I'm an idiot, but by "that guy from Youtube" are you referring to a crying fur?

Yeah, the thing about the whole "furries deserve to die omglol" thing...ever notice how when you go to youtube or some ***Auto-Censor*** like that, people will be like "I HATE JEWS/FAGS/INSERT-OTHER-MINORITY-HERE"? [censor], that kinda thing was referenced in a parody of "We Didn't Start The Fire" and it's very true. The parody, I mean. None of them are serious. Or...at least very few are. It's like in high school. Surely, those of you who are older or are popular in high school know that when you're in a big group and wanna be popular, you go with the crowd. It just so happens, the crowd LOVES to pick on the minority. Incidentally, this is why I suggest that those who are in a closet stay in that closet until after high school. But that's beside the point, and I may have pissed off some of you guys. No offense intended.

Anyway, you guys who are popular, surely you went with those guys. You didn't really hate this little furry kid or this gay kid, but all your "friends" did so you hurled dead birds at him. (Greg Giraldo reference OMGWTF) That's what trolling is. Getting attention-slash-being popular. And I know, I'm generalizing. "But Artimus, not everyone is programmed like that." Quite right, my mate-pronounced-might-to-support-rhyming. There is another reason. A third one that's all encompassing. That reason for trolling is...

It's fun. Sorry, but it is. It's mean, I know. And it's not right. Trust me, I've heard and made up all the arguments as to why trolling and hating sucks the big or even the small one. But that's what guilty pleasure is all about. Or, schadenfreude, I believe.  I mean, go to the encyclopedia-dramatica and read the pedo-trolling thing about pretending to be a FBI agent catching pedos in AIM. True or not, those stories are hilarious and you know you wanna laugh when the "pedo" says "NO! I AIN'T NO PEDOPHAUL!" It's very "lawl."

Now, obviously, I'm not saying "boys will be boys" and leave it at that, but I'll restate my earlier opinion. Poking something that doesn't respond gets boring.

And I hope this doesn't seem like pointless ranting, I was trying to make a point.  Anyway, I'm glad the "guy from Youtube" learned...something, I'm not sure what. Did he learn to make fondue correctly, cause if I go to his place and he still hasn't prepared the cheddar to the optimum flavor-value...there'll be soooooo much [censor] to pay!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:59:05 PM by WingedZephyr, Reason: Foul language »

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 10:28:35 AM »
Wow... That was a big post :o

Tho i kinda agree with you on many parts
Proud to be a furry!

Offline artimus

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 12:34:43 PM »
Well, I like my posts like I like my women...

Well, not really like that. But like something else. Anyway, if you've been a spectator to hatred long enough, you'd have a lot to say, too.

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »
Another dead-eye bullseye for Artimus.

He's this guy I know. Remember the "Humafag Furry?" That's his insult torwards trolls. He stopped that, now, though.

Offline artimus

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 01:23:34 PM »
huma...what? I can't even begin to talk about how ridiculous that is. Even ignoring the fact that it's the exact same thing that dissenters are doing with the similar name. You know what I mean.

Does anyone even wonder why the media is having so much fun with the fandom's sensibilities as they are?

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 01:31:45 PM »
huma...what? I can't even begin to talk about how ridiculous that is.

I know.  o.O

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »
Trolling is fun as long as it's clever, like Something Awful. The problem is, most people who do want to troll are children, and therefore are not clever.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline artimus

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 02:30:41 PM »
You know, I don't mind SA that much. Mainly because my experiences with them have been okay like two short comedy videos they released at a Rifftrax Live showing last thursday and an ARG I reviewed the history of was really interesting. Otherwise, i treat SA like 4Chan. I'll go there if I see something I can't live without, otherwise I stay clear.

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 02:45:44 PM »
Just to get this out there (even though you pointed out yourself that you were generalizing), but one of the popular guys in my school (not a very big school, but that's beside the point) was in a math class with my guy friend who is bi (or gay, he can't really decide, lol), and one or two people were making fun of him during a class, and the popular guy stood up for him (pretty much saying "Shut the *** up, so-and-so. Leave him alone."). And I'll say it before anyone thinks it (if anyone thinks it), the popular guy is not secretly gay or bi, not in the slightest, so that's not why he was sticking up for my friend.
Now it may have been a contributing factor that at least one of the popular people was a lesbian, but I seriously doubt it.

But anyways, on the real topic, people mock and/or fear what they don't understand. So if someone doesn't fully understand Furries (as most trolls don't), they just send out messages of hate and mockery and all that other stuff. They're not creative and at least half of them have no clue what they're talking about anyway. It's best to just ignore them because they're morons and they don't deserve the time of day.
And that concludes my rant of the day. Thank you.:P

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline artimus

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 04:18:05 PM »
I agree that people don't understand furries, but I think that's because they don't want to. They'd rather let Fox News (in this case, the most ironically named of all news stations) or CSI tell them what a certain group is all about. It's much easier than doing your own research to listen to what Jerry Bruckheimer tells you. Personally, I didn't know I wanted to bang animals, but I guess if John Reporter tells me and everyone I do, well, I'll be at the petting zoo.

And at your story, that's the kind of cool person that's rare in this world. Lucky guy to have the popular dude stand up for him.