The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: WTF! so much bad publicity!  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Vamp

• Off-The-Wall Guy
  • Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • It's meh!
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Crow
  • Coloring: Black feathers, green eyes
  • Height: 5 feet 11 inches
  • Weight: 180 lbs.
  • Build: Slim
  • Reference: [link]
WTF! so much bad publicity!
« on: August 04, 2009, 07:39:26 AM »
okay, wth is up with all the anti-furry pix on google?! I mean, come on! the 'Y' word has put us all tail deep in 'anti-furry cyber activists'! Dang pervs! people need to know that this isn't some freakshow! It's a flippin' lifestyle! just look at this!

Post Merge: August 04, 2009, 07:44:54 AM
This is sooo messed up!!! We have the right to express ourselves!!! Those people just need to deal with it! We arn't hurting anyone are we? NO! Those sick pervs who are giving us a bad name are! FURRY 4 LIFE!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 07:44:54 AM by Vamp »

Pet's name: Sion
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
"I used to be a freak, now I'm a freak with a camera."

"If I had a dime for every time I made sense, I'd be broke"

My Steam  : Vamp Altum

Offline Tyla

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 10 Poster
    • Awards
Re: WTF! so much bad publicity!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 02:10:55 PM »
I love how with the news media it's either all bad or all good. Though I'm curious about the validity of the newspaper.

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 03:12:05 PM »
the newspaper seems fake since it's a bit over the top. I mean, censoring websites is against the constitution, is it not? I mean that's something more akin to chinese policy. Anyway yeah people hate us and misunderstand us. That's just the way it is.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Shenzii

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster
  • I've loved you for a thousand years ♥
    • Myspace
    • Awards
  • Species: Doberman
  • Coloring: Black, Rust Brown, Chartreuse
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 125lbs.
  • Build: Curvy but thin with muscle
  • Currently: Running around in circles
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 08:20:09 PM »
Well I think they should just deal with it. I mean the problems that some of us run into are really frustrating. Like I have to keep this all a secret to EVERYONE I know!
Animals are my passion and my career!!

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:22:30 PM »
A freind showed me a anti-furry website called "antifurrycoalition" or sumthin like that was nothing but weird, for example did it have weird anti-furry downloads, the also claimed that "The basis of the furry fandom is sexual attraction to these walking, talking animals. This unhealthy attraction is a focal point of their lives." Which obviously is false :S

As Vamp said: FURRY 4 LIFE!
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Wolfgang

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
  • you know what...I don't think I know you
    • Awards
  • Species: vulpine
  • Coloring: rusty red, white, and black
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 155lbs
  • Build: lean
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 08:34:49 PM »
I wouldn't call it a lifestyle, I would call it more like a fandom. but that's besides the point, when I first joined the fandom I was all over anti-furs. I even saw a "1,000 ways to die" episode with furs in it doing something that I can't say but I think you might get the idea. For me I really don't care about anti-furs anymore.
The world can be a horrible place, so give it a taste of it's own medicine

Offline Grey_Wulf

• Boisterous Bear
  • I feel stupid AND CONTAGIOUS!
    • Awards
  • Species: Vampiric Wolf
  • Coloring: Dark Grey
  • Height: 5 ft 11
  • Weight: about 140 pounds
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 05:16:48 PM »
The Stereotypes are the first thing people can see, most just generalise that and believe that ALL of the people with that interest/lifestyle are the same, which is why this bad publicity is coming along.
For an example, let's look at the Metal fandom, you can get someone look at Varg Vikernes (Burning down churches and murder) and decide that the general metal community is like him.

Best thing you can do is ignore it really, going to leave a Gandhi quote here
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
"I know an ash-tree stands called yggdrasil
a high tree, soaked with shing loam;
from there come the dews which fall in the valley,
ever green, it stands over the well of fate."
The Poetic Edda - Seeress's prophecy 19.1

Offline Jacen the Folf

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox-Wolf
  • Coloring: Orange-Brown Fur, Cream chest and jaw, black paws and forearms
  • Height: 5"11
  • Weight: 130
  • Build: Lean, thin, and slightly muscular
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 11:14:42 PM »
I love how they were using that Noxious Foxious guys quote as "evidence".

I mean sure, saying that it is your whole life is a littl far, but I fail to see how that shows that furrys as a whole are messed up.

I don't think the article is real, and if it is, it is from a small town newspaper and they post all sort of weird things.

Pet's name: Jacen
Adopt your own!

Offline artimus

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 6' 1''
  • Weight: 189
  • Build: Average build, fairly skinny.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 12:06:21 AM »
I think there's something that needs to be understood between furries and the rest of the community. Furries are going to be hated, for one reason or another. That's...just how it is. It was the same with trekkies, homosexuals, and various minorities be they religious or racial. There's going to be haters. The only thing that can be done is to adjust how we react to them. Right now, if you call a furry a freak, chances are they'll complain about it forever, and that's understandable. No one likes being discriminated against. However, that's also where 4Channers and other anti-furry people get their fun. They love it when we go "OMG I AM NOT A FREAK WAAAAAAAAAAAH!" It's funny to 'em. But if we just said, "Yeah, cool, whatever." What's funny about that? Nothing. Once we stop reacting so heavily, making fun of the fandom will become boring. Like poking a pile of goo. (No derogatory comparisons intended)

Offline Jacen the Folf

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox-Wolf
  • Coloring: Orange-Brown Fur, Cream chest and jaw, black paws and forearms
  • Height: 5"11
  • Weight: 130
  • Build: Lean, thin, and slightly muscular
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 12:12:01 AM »
True...true

I like your stance and think i'll take it

Pet's name: Jacen
Adopt your own!

Offline Fenrir

• Boisterous Bear
  • Please, call me Asimov.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Height: 6 foot
  • Weight: 160
  • Build: Lithe
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 05:49:20 PM »
It's probably largely because the only furries who make their way into  the media leave lasting bad impressions.  We need more guys donating millions of dollars to charities and then immediately afterward declaring "By the way, I'm a furry!"

Offline Vamp

• Off-The-Wall Guy
  • Foxy Fox
  • It's meh!
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Crow
  • Coloring: Black feathers, green eyes
  • Height: 5 feet 11 inches
  • Weight: 180 lbs.
  • Build: Slim
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 07:01:20 PM »
totally man. Just think, Bill Gates (for lack off a bettes subject) gives a couple million to a few charities then says he's a furry (most likly isn't) then people will love us and possibly try to abolish all the anti-furry campaigns. Extremly unlikly, but totally awesome.

Pet's name: Sion
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
"I used to be a freak, now I'm a freak with a camera."

"If I had a dime for every time I made sense, I'd be broke"

My Steam  : Vamp Altum

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 07:06:50 PM »
Bill Gates is too much of a geek for his presence to affect anything in a meaningful way. But yeah, high profile furries are required
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Offline artimus

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
  • Height: 6' 1''
  • Weight: 189
  • Build: Average build, fairly skinny.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 09:14:03 PM »
Well, admittedly, it's not JUST the fault of the furries themselves, although the overly-enthusiastic guys tend to leave negative impressions. It's also the right-wing media not giving a damn about the Average T. Furry ad caring more about the guy dressed up in an anatomically correct fur suit humping his friend. Those guys are rare, but not if the media is anything to go by. It's a bias for the sensationalist.

Basically, I think we're screwed as long as the media wants ratings.

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 09:15:52 PM »
Such is life