The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How did YOU become furry? =)  (Read 127114 times)

Offline Shadis

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Wolf 7133 or Shadis, take your pick
    • Awards
  • Species: Umbral Wolf
  • Coloring: Black fur with dark purple runes on my body and face
  • Height: Six Feet, three Inches
  • Weight: 200 Ibs.
  • Build: Strong, but not muscular
  • Currently: I'm beautiful!!!!! :'D
Re: How did YOU become furry? =)
« Reply #555 on: October 14, 2011, 08:40:03 PM »
Hi all!      I'll add my two cents first then tell my not so interesting story :-p

Do NOT ever be ashamed of how you found your way into the fandom, the world/internet is full of awesome and ugly things about us.    Whether it be the dirty pics, the cool drawings or the simple spark of imagination that brought you here.  you ARE here and still love it right?  what you do NOW and from here on are what matters.

Ok, my story:   I am the only son of 4 children. 3 older sisters who I love to death.  One in particular, the oldest was into wolves.  She got me (unintentionally) interested in wolves.  and over time as I grew older and gained access to the interwebs learned a LOT about the species and then eventually the fandom and was instantly hooked.   I am a wolf at heart, I have no doubt.   In spirit and mind, and if people think that's crazy I don't hate them or judge them.  It's just different from their point of view and thats OK!   

I've always been different from people,  strange in behavior and attitude but I never knew why.   It took many years of abuse from school mates and friends to realize that I was different from EVERYONE.     Mainly because I'm goofy,  I love ALL people.    And do my best to not judge anyone.  I have my dark side and a little anger now and then but that ok I think because I don't lash out with it or hurt anyone intentionally anyway.

I'm always up for making new friends and helping anyone out that needs me or can use my help.   Sometimes I think I try too hard, other times I don't think I try enough.   Only time will tell :-p

Thats pretty awesome dude! I wish I had a sister instead of two... unaccepting brothers. Also, do you think you also might be a therian wolf as well? A fair amount of furries are. I am and a friend of mine is awell.  :)

I'm kind of ashamed how i found out about furry, cuz it was the wrong way....yeah, i was browsing dirty pics (glad i don't anymore, it was ruining me) I came across furry pics..one day i got curious and wiki'd furry, and thought that what the fandom is really about beats out bad pics anyday.....i really regret looking at that stuff.... anyways...I've always loved tv, movies, games, etc with anthro animals in them...Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Crash Bandicoot...is it bad how i found my way into the fandom? I know about the Y word and all that, and that is definitely not my interpretation of being a fur...i guess i still don't feel completely accepted, but i just need to get on here more...sorry for getting OT

Yea, Don't feel bad about that dude, alot of us have some degree of experience as to how you found us, ah-hem  <.<  lol, you will never be judged or looked down upon here friend. Welcome!  :)

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
Wolf 7133: Supernatural Division Leader

Offline Kodachi Devil

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Bunbun! Bunbun! Yes I am!
    • Awards
  • Species: Squirrel
  • Coloring: Brown Fur, BBrown Hair.
  • Height: 5'11&quot;
  • Weight: 119 lbs.
  • Build: Medium
« Reply #556 on: October 18, 2011, 01:33:46 AM »
Haha, dude don't be ashamed, that was one of my first exposures to the fandom too, looking back. I was like "who is this artist and why can I not pronounce his name?"
proceeded to google
"oh so thaaaaats what that is--wait is that--OHSHIZ"
then i shut down the computer because i was at my grandmother's house ._.
anyways, speaking of that word a WONDERFUL school friend decided to share the halloween spirit with me with a link to a website with much of the Y word. he assumed i was so innocent itd creep me out i guess. nope, just turned me into a broken child in the hallway. i was stuttering for 5 minutes xD
I'm a devil, but I'm not bad most of the time. Okay I'm only bad some of the time. Okay maybe I'm bad all of the time. ;D

I heart Girls Generation! <3

Offline Sigcutio

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Your friendly neighborhood sea otter!
    • Awards
  • Species: Sea Otter
  • Currently: Otternizing
« Reply #557 on: October 18, 2011, 05:10:44 AM »
Hmm... well I always have liked animals and cartoons with anthro characters. In fact, to this day, any work with some sort of anthropomorphic character draws me in. I never knew why, but anthro characters were always cool to me, but for a while I thought I was sort of the only person who really thought like that. Back in end of my freshman year of high school I first discovered the fandom. I was actually just trying to find any random work with some sort of anthro character when I ran across the wikipedia article on the furry fandom.

At first my expression was like this ===> :D 
I couldn't believe there was actually a whole fandom dedicated to anthropomorphic characters, but...

I read a little further into it and discovered the sexual aspects of the fandom and my expression turned to this ====>  D:  I was pretty much repulsed. The stigma associated with the furry fandom sent me running  XD

After that I pretty much avoided any reference to the fandom, but a lingering interest remained. After all I still loved anthro characters  XD

In the end of my sophomore year I can recall finding a fursuit youtube video and I was both horrified and fascinated. Horrified because the idea of people in giant animal costumes has always been weird to me, even at theme parks I have always avoided greeting characters. However, I was also fascinated because it looked like it was a blast! This slowly eased the furry fandom into a better light for me, but I still could not bring myself to associate with it.

My Junior year I actually met a furry in one of my classes who was pretty open about it, but I never discussed it. It seemed too weird to bring up in conversation. However, my senior year a friend of mine who vaguely knew of the fandom told me this joke idea of going to a furry convention as giraffes. Aside from being kinda awesome, it brought the idea of being a furry back into my mind. I looked up some conventions, went back to looking up youtube videos, and made a broader internet search on what it meant to be furry. Finally it stuck with me when I found some youtube videos of fursuiters who actually volunteered at community events and just made the whole atmosphere fun. It was probably then I came to terms with the furry fandom and officially decided to jump into it. I found this forum and decided it would be a good place to start, so here I am!

Hmm....this is kinda long
For the tl;dr people out there:
Long story short I didn't like it at first, but then I figured "What the hey?" and jumped into it.  XD
  • Avatar by: Courtesy Fuzzymutt! Thank you very much ^^
  • Signature art by: Grisly! Thanks again! :D

Offline Edwolf

• Eager Elephant
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
« Reply #558 on: October 18, 2011, 05:48:55 PM »
It was Christmas 2009. Somebody on YouTube uploaded a video of himself in a Rudolph (the Red-Nosed Reindeer) fursuit and I thought to myself, "That looks nice! Why don't I have one of those?". But in order to remain in tune with the rest of the year, I decided to branch into mainstream fursuiting  X3  and it all started from there.

Offline kivabunny

• Gregarious Gnu
  • intense love does not measure, it just gives
    • Awards
  • Species: bunny
  • Coloring: black
  • Height: 4' 11" (anthro)
  • Weight: 127 pounds
  • Build: agile and atheletic
« Reply #559 on: October 18, 2011, 10:18:57 PM »
it all started 10 years ago with animorphs i was 7 i read the stories and when i read the one about them becoming wolves i was awed with the  discriptions about the keenness of their senses and how they alone were kings of the woodlands. it festered for 8 years. then i took a  trip to the zoo.i looked every where.
then i saw them.
red wolves.
they were so beautiful. i almost cried at the sight of such a majestic animal, trapped and not free to roam the forests.
then it happened.
something inside me ached to be like them, wild and free (not in a cage tho). i began asking my biology teacher questions about genetic replacement and was dissappointed to find that it did not exist. but i was determined that there had to be something like a human with the senses and grace and beauty of an animal (namely wolves). so i googled.
i found nothing. then i watched yu-gi-oh abriged and i herd joey say "go y*** yourself kiba"" curious to find out what this strange word ment i looked it up, (tho i was scared i would get caught i continued to watch) i heard the word furry tossed around and looked it up and to my suprise a clean version existed.
a month later i declared my pride in being a furry this july on the fourth. my independence day.
(btw what is redwall?)

assassin......i kill things.......and you will never notice

Offline Sgt. Blaine Stone

• Vibrating Furby
  • Heyo!
    • Awards
  • Species: Vampire Wolf Dragon/Avian
  • Coloring: DURING THE DAY: Golden Brown Eyes, Grey Body, White Belly, and White Feathered Wings w/ Golden Glowing tips. DURING THE NIGHT: Blood Red Eyes, Black Body,
  • Height: 6' 2"
  • Weight: 150 lbs Of Awesome
  • Build: Medium Sized, Enough Muscle To Kick Butt
  • Currently: Busy Wolfy
« Reply #560 on: October 18, 2011, 10:19:16 PM »
I've been busy lately, couldn't get on........anyways, thanks for that, I still liked the pics at the time, but i'm over that now...i'm here for the fun now.
Note: IRL I'm 16...Blaine, however, is 21.
Xbox Gamertag: BloodlustWolf95

Offline Shadis

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #561 on: October 18, 2011, 10:50:37 PM »
it all started 10 years ago with animorphs i was 7 i read the stories and when i read the one about them becoming wolves i was awed with the  discriptions about the keenness of their senses and how they alone were kings of the woodlands. it festered for 8 years. then i took a  trip to the zoo.i looked every where.
then i saw them.
red wolves.
they were so beautiful. i almost cried at the sight of such a majestic animal, trapped and not free to roam the forests.
then it happened.
something inside me ached to be like them, wild and free (not in a cage tho). i began asking my biology teacher questions about genetic replacement and was dissappointed to find that it did not exist. but i was determined that there had to be something like a human with the senses and grace and beauty of an animal (namely wolves). so i googled.
i found nothing. then i watched yu-gi-oh abriged and i herd joey say "go y*** yourself kiba"" curious to find out what this strange word ment i looked it up, (tho i was scared i would get caught i continued to watch) i heard the word furry tossed around and looked it up and to my suprise a clean version existed.
a month later i declared my pride in being a furry this july on the fourth. my independence day.
(btw what is redwall?)

Thats an increadable story dude! Im impressed! I turned into a furry literally a week and a half before you! June 23'd!  :D

Offline kivabunny

• Gregarious Gnu
    • Awards
« Reply #562 on: October 18, 2011, 11:15:48 PM »
thats cool . but ive found its not really somthing you become, but rather somthing you discover about yourself.

Offline Shadis

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #563 on: October 18, 2011, 11:28:37 PM »
Well, yea. Thats kinda what I meant. By turning I meant finnally realise and become it. like being a wherewolf  :D  Also, Redwall is a semi- depressing but awesome midevil fantasy story of a bunch of anthro animals as they try to rescue abunch of kidnapped furry children. Its very furry in nature and my possibly furry friend reads them.

Offline kivabunny

• Gregarious Gnu
    • Awards
« Reply #564 on: October 18, 2011, 11:31:31 PM »
ok ill check it out

Offline Shadis

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #565 on: October 18, 2011, 11:39:08 PM »
Sure thing!

Offline Grahagity

• Vibrating Furby
  • Just doing my thing and 666'n all day, every day.
    • Awards
  • Species: WolFox
  • Coloring: Brown
  • Height: 6'6
  • Weight: 215 lbs
  • Build: Fit, slim, etc.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Eating ice cream, listening to KMFDM. Wooooo.
« Reply #566 on: October 19, 2011, 05:50:21 PM »
I always found myself interested in anthropomorphic art, ever since I was a child. The concept of an anthropomorphic being just fascinates me. I find them more interesting than "normal" human characters, for some reason. One day, I stumbled upon the "furry fandom", but never thought I was really what you would consider a "furry". After doing some research, I realized that I most likely am, and decided to hop on the wagon. :P
  • Avatar by: Fursona Maker (Male) V3
  • Signature art by: Mr. Bungle
Do you understand me
Do you think about me when you're peeing?
Do you really think you're gonna grow
Into a human being?
This dog has seen better days
You're gonna die
How does it feel, STTTTUUUUUBBBBBB

Offline Cheeky Stoat

• Avid Aardvark
  • The Cheekiest
    • Awards
  • Species: Stoat
  • Coloring: Natural to the seasons
  • Height: 29cm long
  • Weight: 190 grams
  • Build: Slinky
« Reply #567 on: October 21, 2011, 09:04:50 PM »
Magic turned me into one.
It's cool, just ignore what you see above this signature.  I didn't just spend time constructing a valid argument for you to consider (at least, that's what you can tell yourself).

Offline SoulFox

• Avid Aardvark
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: dark navy blue fur, with white marks on the upper arms
  • Height: 5'9''
  • Weight: 157lbs
  • Build: an athletic body
  • Currently: tired but finally kicked the bad moods ^_^
« Reply #568 on: October 26, 2011, 08:21:44 PM »

mind if i barrow some of that magic, haha.

well like alot of other furries out there, i've always enjoyed anthro art and animated movies with animals. i've always loved animals soo much, i was actually going to be a vet until my dad crushed my dream by saying theres too many of them  x_x  so i gave up on that. but i still LOVE animals. well while growing it seemed anything that had to do with animals i liked more than anything that had to do with people because people are so vengeful, greedy, backstabbing, angry creatures. only but a few ever seem to do good :/ funny because the only books that kept my interest are if it involved animals, especially if they talked xD (but thats all background info)long story short, in 7th grade i became a huge gamer, i ended up really getting into computers and hacking, fell for this guy because i wanted to be everything he was, learned im mostly gay, and he turned out to be a furry. well to be his friend i tried to be a furry to, and for about a month i did all the research i could to try figuring out "what a furry was" i knew they were the combined human animals, but how do you "be" a furry? well eventually i got really into it, and furtalk, and raving. i soon began to think being a furry was a bad idea because i couldn't tell anyone i am one(other than my bf who didn't understand, muchless care) and so i gave up on it for a while, but returning about 2months ago remembering why i loved it so much before!  :D

why does it seem as if no one wants to be with you until they want something?

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #569 on: October 26, 2011, 08:26:09 PM »

mind if i barrow some of that magic, haha.

well like alot of other furries out there, i've always enjoyed anthro art and animated movies with animals. i've always loved animals soo much, i was actually going to be a vet until my dad crushed my dream by saying theres too many of them  x_x  so i gave up on that. but i still LOVE animals. well while growing it seemed anything that had to do with animals i liked more than anything that had to do with people because people are so vengeful, greedy, backstabbing, angry creatures. only but a few ever seem to do good :/ funny because the only books that kept my interest are if it involved animals, especially if they talked xD (but thats all background info)long story short, in 7th grade i became a huge gamer, i ended up really getting into computers and hacking, fell for this guy because i wanted to be everything he was, learned im mostly gay, and he turned out to be a furry. well to be his friend i tried to be a furry to, and for about a month i did all the research i could to try figuring out "what a furry was" i knew they were the combined human animals, but how do you "be" a furry? well eventually i got really into it, and furtalk, and raving. i soon began to think being a furry was a bad idea because i couldn't tell anyone i am one(other than my bf who didn't understand, muchless care) and so i gave up on it for a while, but returning about 2months ago remembering why i loved it so much before!  :D
can never be enough vets. my brother aspires to be one XD
If you want beef then bring the ruckus