The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How did YOU become furry? =)  (Read 127065 times)

Offline Traveler-Oni

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
Re: How did YOU become furry? =)
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2009, 07:56:02 AM »
Oops.  It's so easy to get off topic when you're enjoying yourself.  I guess we should the conversation to it's own thread if we wish to discuss matters further.
If your anger was a hat, what kind of hat would it be?

Offline al-Kateb

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2009, 12:30:07 AM »
While I'm not a furry, I DID really get a lot of inspiration from the Anubis warriors in The Mummy Returns...

Offline Traveler-Oni

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2009, 03:51:22 AM »
I loved that movie.

Offline Dog Donovan

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2009, 03:56:09 AM »
Well, I've always been a Furry based on everything a Furry is. But I joined the Fandom officially a few days after my mother (bless her soul) died. I knew about the Fandom since I was 11 years old, but was shy back then. Now I proudly (sometimes in a bull-headed way) embrace being a Furry, and love it!

Offline Traveler-Oni

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2009, 05:03:32 AM »
Good to hear.  As long as you take pride in the things you do everything will be fine.

Offline Lyle Conner

• Avid Aardvark
  • Join the Blue Mithril army *Salutes*
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Black and white
  • Height: 181 cm
  • Weight: 75 kg
  • Build: Tone mid musuculare shape
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2009, 12:53:40 AM »
Well...I have to say all dogs go to heaven one and two tempted me then road rovers had me hook but mainly became furry when I watch "Balto" who became my hero so ya I say balto made me the furry lover and wolf that I am now *Howl* :-*

Offline Traveler-Oni

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2009, 07:35:59 AM »
I love Balto and Road Rovers.  Brings back memories.

Offline bigmanrob

• Avid Aardvark
  • I'm awesome!
    • Awards
  • Coloring: White
  • Build: Fit
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2009, 04:20:07 AM »
Brother Bear...
It has done all sorts of weird **** to me....  :shcoked:

Offline The Bovine Rodent

• Boisterous Bear
  • The burnt fire dancer.
    • Awards
  • Species: Pine Marten/Roan Antelope (shapeshifter)
  • Coloring: Tawny; black wrists/ankles
  • Build: A bit on the pudgy side
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2009, 12:50:41 PM »
I blame ancient Egypt and its animal-headed men entirely. I've been thinking of myself either as that or as an anthro since before I knew furries existed.

Pets name: Jaden
Adopt your own!
'Tis brillig, and those danged slithy toves won't stop their gyrin' and their gimblin'.
We're dressed in our best, and prepared to go down like gentlemen- Benjamin Guggenheim and his valet, 1st class titanic casualties

Offline bigmanrob

• Avid Aardvark
  • I'm awesome!
    • Awards
  • Coloring: White
  • Build: Fit
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »
Hmmmm...

That's interesting. But it seems like everyone doesn't know they're furries for sometime after they start the fandom unknowingly.  ???

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2009, 04:18:51 PM »
Hmmmm...

That's interesting. But it seems like everyone doesn't know they're furries for sometime after they start the fandom unknowingly.  ???

Yes, that's often the way it works. Probably because there are a ton of anthropomorphic things that can influence people without actually being called a "furry" thing. (It's not like Disney goes out and calls Lion King a furry movie, even though it features talking animals.)

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline NekoOtome

• Avid Aardvark
  • Spirit of the Puma
    • Awards
  • Species: Puma
  • Coloring: Beige body; Black dorsal stripe from base of tail to brow line; Black coloring from paws to knees
  • Height: 5'5
  • Build: normal
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2009, 01:28:23 AM »
Lesse. It all kinda started when one of my best friends and I would constantly play a game we called 'Puma and Gavin' where she was a wolf named Gavin and I was a puma named...well... Puma. In seventh grade I decided that mountain lions were the coolest things ever. I took up some cat-like habits in response and began to develop anthro characters for myself in the shape of a puma. I found out this year that there were others like that in the furry fandom. It all developed from there
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:29:56 AM by NekoOtome »

Offline Dog Donovan

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2009, 03:44:49 AM »
Always loved anthros... That makes me Furry. Easy!

Offline Alter Insatiable

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 6'3
  • Weight: 170lbs
  • Build: Skinny but not lithe, no muscle mass but decent broadness of the shoulders.
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2009, 06:46:26 PM »
As a kid I had a sick bit of an obsession with wolves and dogs, particularly because we lived in my Grandmother's house and she has a deep hatred for all things not Super-Christian and human, so I always played with the neighbor's dogs. It was like my forbidden fruit. Then in about second grade I started to watch this early Saturday morning cartoon called Tama and Friends that was on the WB (Now CW). It featured cats and a dog running around and getting into adventures and some mischief. I always kinda just watch blankly until they had an episode where main character (Tama)'s owner fell ill and when he went to sleep a new cat would appear and play with all of the other animals. When he would wake up, the cat disappeared, and this happened over and over and then the kid recapped to his mother that he thought he heard Tama talk.

This brings me to the fourth grade. I'm a total pokemon nerd, watching the show, playing all of the games, I even had plushies of some of the pokemon, like charazard, venusaur, snorlax, those. And I was playing the trading card game and everything. At recess me and my friends would run around, a few would be trainers, others would be pokemon, (I was always GROWLITH or ARCANINE, no surprise there.) and it was all very fun. Later on in that year my teacher assigned a project on different kinds of animals. Everyone got to choose a top three and you were assigned one of them. I got wolves :3. I made a little clay model and wrote a three page paper on them, which got me into looking up pictures of wolves a lot. Just before the end of the fifth grade I found a photomorphic picture of two people morphed into anthro wolves sharing a bed, for lack of ability to be explicit. It was my first introduction to anthros and the fact that I was hitting puberty at the age of 9 meant raging hormones in me and a want to know more. I found the source of the photomorpher, and  needless to say, more anthros in mature ways, but I was kind of limited, and didn't know there was more to this kind of art than the sexual aspect.

Jump forward to the sixth grade and my infatuation with the animorphs books. I must have read every single volume of those books and they never seemed to get old or dull. I was enveloped in them and it had me almost jealous of the people in the story. I wanted to become a wolf so badly it almost made me sick when they turned into wolves.

Now to the summer between 6th and 7th grade. I was in summer camp and I was a hardcore DDR player. There were some other hardcore players in the grade above me so I fell in a crowd with them, specifically this one anime obsessed girl. We talked mostly of anime and stuff, telling eachother which were our favorites and at the time I had all of the Wolf's Rain DVDs in my DVD case. She went nuts, having been a fanatic herself. A few months later, school starts, and bam, we're a couple. It's great, except for the fact that all of my friends were now in 8th grade, they were graduating, I was in 7th and had no friends in my own grade.

Well we dated for a while and she also had a wolf obsession, and started showing me some really cool art. I had a party at my house later on that year and she asked me if I was a furry, since I seemed to exhibit a lot of the qualities one would. I replied that I didn't know what a furry was, so she gave me the basic layout, sure enough, I adopted the word into my identity.

And there's my story, sowwy for the length.

Offline ★Kuro★

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
    • DeviantArt
    • Facebook
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf-dog
  • Height: 5'#0392"quot
  • Weight: 105lbs.
  • Currently: ;w;
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »
Well, I had a friend named Ezekiel on the adultswim.com message boards, and I saw he really liked wolves.
I saw something on his myspace one day that said he was a "furry" and I googled it.
Pretty soon, I began identifying myself as a furry. First, I was a wolf/husky. And in time, I began acquiring all these different breeds of animals I liked and could relate to. I've been a furry since childhood though, just didn't know what the fandom was.
I used to jump and crawl around like Simba from Lion King, and I was often a Pikachu.
In 6th grade, my friends and I were interested in an anime called Tokyo Mew Mew. This sparked alot more of my furry-ness.
I was Ichigo, the black cat girl. Soon, I began liking Zakuro the wolf girl more. And that was just ONE influence.
Back then, I also drew my anime-self with Tiger ears and a tail. My other friends would have animals I picked for them that suited them best. Most of my friends were puppy dogs or big cats like panthers or cougars.

I truly joined the fandom in the year 2007, and this was also one of my first Furry boards! ^_^
I've been a member here since '07, actually. At school, I run a Furry Club which consists of friends in my little group. Almost all have identified as a furry, now. XD  It's a private little group, but as soon as another person enters our little group of friends, they learn about the fandom, and end up also being a furry! And our group keeps on growing. It's an amazing thing. XD