The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The curiously large number of LGTB's in the furry community  (Read 7963 times)

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
The curiously large number of LGTB's in the furry community
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »
Good morning!

Soo, Over time I began to notice an odd little thing from my semi-outsider perspective of the furry community. Wich is that, as far as I've seen, there are very little to no heterosexual, and straight forwarded genderded people in this community.

At least, from my perspective.

Therefore, out of pure curiousity, I'm just here to ask you all wether or not you're heterosexual, and non-transgender.

Disclaimer: I do not represent any research institute or initiative what-so-ever, and will not publish the results from this poll anywhere.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 02:07:08 PM by A brisky little challenger »

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Re: The curiously large number of LGTB's in the furry community
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 11:27:51 AM »
First off, welcome to the forums :)

I must say, I find it funny that a tank would ask furries these questions :P

Also, hope this doesn't sound unkind, just something I noticed:
Why is there no 'Straight' option without sexual activity? Or just a 'Straight' option without the sexual activity mentions?
Just think that might be worth taking a look at, as you can be straight without being sexually active, just like the other sexualities you mentioned, which also don't state that extra part.
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Dean

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug
  • Left the forums
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 11:31:35 AM »
Also, hope this doesn't sound unkind, just something I noticed:
Why is there no 'Straight' option without sexual activity? Or just a 'Straight' option without the sexual activity mentions?
Just think that might be worth taking a look at, as you can be straight without being sexually active, just like the other sexualities you mentioned, which also don't state that extra part.

Yes, this! :D
I'm also straight but not sexually active. Anyway, I took the one answer above now. ^^

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 11:36:21 AM »
Plus, forgot to add: I feel especially at the end, sexualities are mixed with genders.
You have a sexuality and a gender.
Examples:
1) Say you're a male, identify as a male and in love with the opposite gender.
Your gender is male, your sexuality is heterosexual.
2) You're a male, identify as 'ungendered', in love with the opposite gender (to your physical body).
Your gender is non-binary, sexuality (technically speaking) heterosexual.

Basically what I'm saying is, as an example to your options:
You can be 'straight' or 'homosexual' (lesbian is still homosexual) and still identify gender-wise with the same/opposite body. This has nothing to do with agender.

Offline Dean

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug
  • Left the forums
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 11:42:33 AM »
Plus, forgot to add: I feel especially at the end, sexualities are mixed with genders.
You have a sexuality and a gender.
Examples:
1) Say you're a male, identify as a male and in love with the opposite gender.
Your gender is male, your sexuality is heterosexual.
2) You're a male, identify as 'ungendered', in love with the opposite gender (to your physical body).
Your gender is non-binary, sexuality (technically speaking) heterosexual.

Basically what I'm saying is, as an example to your options:
You can be 'straight' or 'homosexual' (lesbian is still homosexual) and still identify gender-wise with the same/opposite body. This has nothing to do with agender.

Is there a like button? :P
You're absolutely right. Didn't think about it. :D

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 12:07:11 PM »

I'm a bisexual tomboyish female. (And to clarify, I don't consider tomboy to be its own gender, so I guess that means I'm not-trans/cis/whatever.)

And from a quickly looking through the various sexual orientation groups on FA, it'd appear that there's indeed more gay people than straight in the fandom (~5642 straight and ~9681 gay).
There's also ~2277 furs identifying as some form of trans, ~298 genderless, and ~2472 identifying as genderfluid. Don't think there's any group for cis-people, so can't really give a number on that, but seeing as there's supposedly close to two million accounts on FA, I'd imagine cis-identifying people to vastly outnumber the amount of transgendered ones.

So, at least for FA, there'd appear to be more gay than straight people around, at least ones that are actively watching the groups and stuff. (But then again this isn't really the best thing to go by considering how few registered members there are actually watching the groups)
But interestingly enough, a dating group (also on FA, and open to all sexualities) has 87 ads posted in the straight-section and only 2 in the gay one.
Even with all the various LGBT-sexualities lumped together, the straights are in the majority there, surprisingly enough.

As for this site, there's been a few polls throughout the years, and the results might  also come as a bit surprising:

https://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=15426.0;viewresults

https://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=24597.msg1128194#msg1128194

https://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=29745.msg1533558#msg1533558

With the exception of 2014, straight "on it's own" was in the majority, but lumping all of the LGBT together, they outnumber the straights.

(There's also been at least one gender identity poll as far as I can remember, but I can't seem to find it anymore.)

Then, this would also suggest that there are more straight than gay furries around, but that there is a much larger concentration of gay people in the fandom than out in general society. (Tho again, lumping all the LGBT together they still tend to outnumber straight people. And in many cases, most seem to identify as bi)
http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Sexual_orientation

In short, there seem to be more straight people around than people tend to think, but as the concentration of various other sexualities is higher than in general, it seems like there's hardly any straight people around.

Not really proper evidence of anything, but it's got numbers and stuff I suppose.

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 12:39:50 PM »
Welcome.

I am a gay guy.  I do not really know the statistics between straight/gay in the furry community. 

But I can tell you why it appealed to me.  I live in a conservative place where I have always felt different than the people around me as I only know a handful of other gay guys in my non-internet life.  This led me to feel like I didn't belong.  I have always liked childlike things such as talking animals in cartoons and now I can wear that almost like an emotional mask.  When I feel like an outcast, I can think of my fursona and he exudes my best qualities which makes me more proud and confident.  So I feel less like an outcast and more like a unique individual.
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 02:25:36 PM »

Seems I missmade it. I didn't mean to ask wether the reader is sexually active, but rather if they have a functioning sex drive.
thanks for mentioning!
I changed it to "sexually driven". I hope that would clarify.

And it's more just a poll to simply determine who is straight, who is (trans) asexual, and who is something else, like gay, lesbian, trans, etc.

But it seems it's been done before.

Silly me should've just googled it before making any polls... 

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 07:27:28 PM »
>Implying asexuality is a real thing

It is true that there are many "lgbt"'s in this fandom but there is also an huge influx of made up genders and sexualities which corrupts the demographics and thus making "polls" impossible to do.
However, this could be rather interesting.

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 09:50:48 PM »
Seems I missmade it. I didn't mean to ask wether the reader is sexually active, but rather if they have a functioning sex drive.
thanks for mentioning!
I changed it to "sexually driven". I hope that would clarify.

And it's more just a poll to simply determine who is straight, who is (trans) asexual, and who is something else, like gay, lesbian, trans, etc.

But it seems it's been done before.

Silly me should've just googled it before making any polls...

I still don't understand what sexually-driven has to do with being straight. It now seems when someone is homosexual or agender that they're not sexually driven.
So what I meant with my previous message was: If the poll was truly reflecting if the reader is straight, transsexual, asexual, etc. then the sexually-driven part should be left out of it, as it has nothing to do with one's gender or preference.
Hope that makes sense :)

And it has been done and researched many times, but it's ok to still make your own poll/research to understand the community more if you're interested in that particular part of the fandom.

It is true that there are many "lgbt"'s in this fandom but there is also an huge influx of made up genders and sexualities which corrupts the demographics and thus making "polls" impossible to do.

This isn't what the poll is about whether certain genders are 'real' or not, but to clarify to others and not go further off-topic: since gender is something in your brain and mind, that means any option is a possibility.
Of course if someone would joke around saying their gender is an Apache Helicopter that would be odd, but in this case with genders you are what you say you are. So be an Apache Helicopter, even though we know that would be really odd xD

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 09:57:36 PM »

This isn't what the poll is about whether certain genders are 'real' or not, but to clarify to others and not go further off-topic: since gender is something in your brain and mind, that means any option is a possibility.
Of course if someone would joke around saying their gender is an Apache Helicopter that would be odd, but in this case with genders you are what you say you are. So be an Apache Helicopter, even though we know that would be really odd xD
[/quote]
Last answer before we went off-topic:
there is no solid ground to assume all genders are "real", genderfluid, asexual, 3rd gender, they all have to be proven before considered a real deal.

Back to the poll: like earlier said, it would have been better if there was a distinction made between gender and sexuality.
However I do applaud attempts to make a great demographic representation of this rather intruiging fandom.

EDIT (I've noticed that I've forgotten to include a bigger part  :P )
So to continue: With thisn poll it can be very easy to use causation/corrolation which is dangerous. But as with every poll I'm curious to see the outcome of this one. As it is at this point (14/04/2017 00.11 GMT+1) a rather expected answers seems to be topping. If this poll gets enough votes I might start a more specific poll to see more interesting results.

OP, you've done a great job and I'm curious for the outcome.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:12:23 PM by Bricket »

Offline Aurorans Solis

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Ferret
  • Coloring: Roan mitt
  • Height: 6' 2" (188 cm)
  • Weight: 145 lbs (65.7kg)
  • Build: Long and lanky
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 08:20:17 AM »
Hmm...

Hmm...

HMM...

Those make me far too happy for my own good ˙ ͜ʟ˙

Ah, yes, forgot to mention. Asexual speaking, here.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:22:37 AM by Aurorans Solis »
  • Signature art by: Myself, and I.

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 07:54:59 PM »
I said it before, but it seems I have to say it again as an actual in-thread warning. Shame it has come to this.
Please do not steer threads off-topic. Take it to PM if you wish to continue the discussion, such as about asexuality being a 'real thing' or not.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 07:56:53 PM by Ventus Fall »

Offline Malina

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Malina is here and deffo queer
    • Awards
  • Species: Border collie
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 08:33:41 PM »
I'd say I'm asexual and also mtf, it's interesting to see how many asexual there are who don't identify with their birth set, I thought it'd be the polar opposite considering the... darker side of the fandom xD but facts are better than opinions as we all know
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:04:39 PM by - »
[/URL]

Offline Brigand

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/Coyote
  • Height: 186cm
  • Weight: 85kg
  • Build: Slim/slightly muscular
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 08:45:29 PM »
I'm a straight guy. That's some **censor** up shit, I know. Don't judge.