The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice: Opening up  (Read 353 times)

Offline ZielZorix

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Kinda hard to explain
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 215 lbs.
  • Build: Not extremely muscular, but is in shape.
  • Currently: Lonely, but optimistic
Advice: Opening up
« on: October 23, 2016, 08:01:09 PM »
I need some advice on something.  I am not in a relationship...never have been, and the main reason for that is me being honest about who I am with whomever I am in a relationship with.  I feel that part of a healthy relationship is being honest with your significant other.

My problem is I am petrified that whomever I open up and tell my secrets to will eventually use them to hurt me.

What would you guys do?

Offline TheRedFox8

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Go ahead. Sound the alarm. I could use a challenge
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Kitsune
  • Coloring: Typical fox colorings
  • Height: 5' 6
  • Weight: 150 lbs
  • Build: Athletic
Re: Advice: Opening up
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 12:34:49 AM »
Welllll, it is true that keeping things honest will help structure a healthy relationship. However, that doesn't mean each and every little thing has to be shared.

I'm far from a relationship expert, but I'd suggest letting yourself get comfortable with whoever you are with. See what kind of a person they are like and gauge a feeling about that person. Start small with your secrets. If those cause problems, then that is a sign to get out of there, and fast. Trying to find the ideal relationship is a road full of bumps and bruises. I know. I've been down there. It sucks.

I know nothing of the magnitude of said secrets, but remember that an ideal mate will accept you for who you are.

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Re: Advice: Opening up
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 01:09:25 PM »
I think, if you have an interest in someone, you let that grow a bit between you. Start telling them things you like (movies/shows, whatever). Things that are fine and normal to share with others.
I also want to add, even if someone hurts you (wants to hurt you), you can learn to deal with that. I think you should learn how to deal with such issues by experiencing them, but of course in steps.

Indeed, I would suggest something similar to Red above me. Your first step shouldn't be to start a relationship, but I'm assuming you would want to eventually have one(?). Either way, try to talk and be more open with friends, people you can trust. If indeed they (or anyone else) seem to make an issue with some things you address, move on.

Heck, if you're really into someone and you get to know each other, one of the first things you can say and admit is that you have issues being open, that you're afraid/scared to do so. Me and my partner do this all the time if we want to talk about things, but are afraid to do so. Always turns out better if we know how we feel and what the issue is. It's the start to tackle any problems :)
And this has always been my 'way of life': Address the problems as soon as possible, so it's out of the way and you can move on and do other things.
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter