The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Hellsing [Ultimate OVA]  (Read 4295 times)

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Hellsing [Ultimate OVA]
« on: June 07, 2016, 04:22:40 PM »
In my top favourite anime (I try to keep a top three) is Hellsing Ultimate OVA. (Not the 'regular' Hellsing though.)
I have rewatched it not too long ago and still thought it was amazing.
(I usually do so when I watch with someone else who has never seen it before.)

Finding out that some people are looking for anime to watch (here on the forums) and even came across someone who watched it as well (you know who you are :P ), I decided to open a topic to talk about Hellsing Ultimate.

This  topic may contain spoilers, but let's be all polite here and use the spoiler tags, ok? ^-^
Like so:
Code: [Select]
[spoiler]
-- Enter spoiler stuff here. --
[/spoiler]

Example:
Spoiler for Hidden:
This is a spoiler with text in it, woo!

So some questions to start off:

1) Did you watch it? Or plan to watch it?
2) Did you watch the English dub or the subbed version?
3) What did you think of it?
4) Any favourite moments or moments you absolutely didn't like?
5) Favourite character(s)?

I personally watched the English dubbed version. Usually not recommended, BUT! I would highly recommend watching the English dub with this anime. They actually use various accents, tone of voice and emotions in the English dub. Trust me ;)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:01:21 PM by Ventus Fall »
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Ginger Ale

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: american badger/ground pangolin hybrid
  • Coloring: green
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: haven't measured in a while...
  • Build: A bit of muscle, but not a lot. Scales abound.
  • Currently: trying to make sense of everything
Re: Hellsing [Ultimate OVA]
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 10:25:51 AM »
I'm not that into Anime, but I have watched a few like Death Note, Naruto, and Eureka Seven. I kind of do want to get into anime, so I'll watch this one.  ^_^

However, I found something called "Hellsing Ultimate" that's "subbed" and "dubbed," but doesn't mention being an "OVA." I don't know what that means; does it make a difference what I watch? :?
"and maybe we weren't put on this earth to rape and pillage and ravage
because god created puppy dogs and god created kittens
and our love creates a power plant
that generates this world
and if we stop now
then we'll just disappear into oblivion"

-andrew jackson jihad

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 01:32:33 PM »
Anything that is titled Hellsing Ultimate is correct :)
OVA = Original Version Anime
Basically referring to the fact that it follows the manga (in other words the anime follows the original story). The reason OVA is added to some anime titles, is because there might already be an anime out there, but doesn't follow the original story.

So, with Hellsing for example: You have already an anime series named Hellsing. Just Hellsing, no add-ons or anything. However, I would highly discourage watching that. I watched and rewatched it. I didn't know at the time about the manga, and I surely didn't know it didn't follow it either. Having rewatched it a few years after my initial first time watching it, I thought it to be rather tasteless. No joke. The music is cool and whatnot, but the story... The first three episodes, if I recall correctly, of the Hellsing series does follow the manga, but after that it just takes a different turn, and goes completely downhill from there.
AT least is what I recall. And the (main) villain is definitely not the same either.

Hellsing Ultimate is, in my opinion, very well done. A lot of time went into it. And I mean A LOT, check the dates of when each episode was released, months, sometimes a year or so was in between them. That had a lot of reasons. But they wanted (and did) use computer animated graphics, but only at certain points. Implementing rather well in the whole animated/cartoon section.
When you watch it, I would highly suggest to pay attention to when they use CGI, I think it's pretty neat, personally. All the details put into it, makes it an amazing show to watch.

Sure, storywise I think it's pretty cool too. For an anime bieng in my toplist, it has to not only be visually pretty, it mostly need to have a pretty nice storyline. Doesn't have to be complicated. As long as characters get background. That their personalities are defined.
And that is what happpens in the series of Hellsing Ultimate. In the first episode you already get a backstory to one of the main characters (Sir Integra Fairbrooks Winsgate Hellsing). They don't just show a bit and never further show anything, they keep showing flashback and other various things to define a variety of characters. Some have more backstory, others less, but when a character acts in a certain way, it makes sense. There is always a reason for it.
That is what I like :)

There, I think I haven't given any spoilers whatsoever :3

As for dubbed and subbed:
When I (or anyone else) talks about watching an anime subbed, it is referred to watching the original version (usually Japanese audio) with English subtitles.
When mentioning dubbed, it is usually referred to watching the English translated version (so no subtitles).

That is why I would suggest, USUALLY, to watch an anime subbed. I always watched anime dubbed before I found out the subbed versions usually sound nicer. As usually the dubbed versions just have American voice actors, and all have similar tones with their emotions, etc. That's my personal experience.

However, with Hellsing Ultimate I suggest watching the dubbed version.
Why?
Because the character who are shown to be British have been given a British accent. My favourite character Maxwell is Italian. Guess what accent they give him?
Right, an Italian accent.

I'm not saying that the accent of all of them are amazing or great, however, it is EXTREMELY enjoyable for me to watch. It feels they really tried to put in effort, and the accents are well done overall.

Hope I answered all of your questions :3

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 12:06:34 PM »
Best Anime ever

10/10
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 12:08:59 PM »
Oi, give more input XD
I asked questions, give more of a review :P

Offline Vortex Cynbel

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Build: Normal
  • Currently: I wanna learn to code dammit x3
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 01:08:48 PM »
*sigh* -.- Sorry about this mini rant but I was typing my huge reply and the site timed out >_< Now I have to type it ALL over again. Dammit >__<

OK so here we go again :p This is gonna be a long reply so I hope that the furs interested in this topic wont be bored reading :p

I've watched Hellsing Ultimate [OVA] both subbed and dubbed. i finished watching it 3-4 months ago. I personally prefer the Japanese version (I'll explain why later). My main issue with the series is that sometimes it feels that the main characters spend too much time killing "pawn" basically the most basic enemy ever and they drag out these scenes for too long. Like they just shoot and shoot and shoot without something really interesting happening. Other than I have no complaints at all ^_^ . Overall I think it's a very good anime. It has a very interesting plot that is backed up by many interesting and well developed characters with different personalities and goals. Also the voice acting and the animations are really great and you can see at once how much effort has been put into many scenes!

So what's wrong with the English dub you might ask.. And the answer is nothing! The english dub is very very good. And I can see what Ventus means by talking about the different accents but for me the Japanese is better and here's why:

I felt that the Japanese dub had a little bit more passion to it. Like when Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing shouts "Search and destroy" I really felt that with the Japanese dub kinda showed a little bit better that passion, that anger that Integra felt.. And for me this seemed to be the case throughout the series with the Japanese dub.

So my favorite moment had to be when we got to see what Alucard's past was like. It gave a very interesting turn to the series and I really loved that moment ^_^

Also I got a bit surprised when I saw Greek writing on Alucard's coffin when he was getting back to London on a ship :p

And lastly my favorite characters were Alucard, Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing, The butler and Schrodinger.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 01:36:46 PM by Vortex Cynbel »
  • Avatar by: Nana (from furry amino)
  • Signature art by: Fable

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 07:48:19 AM »
It was interesting to read :D No worries!

I can see what you mean with the whole "killing pawns" thing. I agree that it was happening, but then why wouldn't it? I'll explain :D
Spoiler for Hidden:
The main villian did set it up to be played like a game, him judging his opponent and making sure it would gradually build up from simple cronies to more advanced enemies with each their own challenges and abilities. So this feeling might come from here, as it was his tactic.
Of course it doesn't take away your experience, an experience I agree and share to a certain extent :)

I loved seeing the Greek writing on his coffin :P

Oh no, you like Schrödinger XD It's the main character I can't stand :P
I like Walter (the butler indeed :D) as well as Enrico Maxwell.
But do you know what I find is odd of these two?
Can you guess?  o3o

Offline Vortex Cynbel

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 09:19:30 AM »
XD they look alike to be honest. Like their faces look similar.. maybe there are long lost brothers?!

But.. to be honest.. can someone please explain me what happened with Walter at the end?! Like what happened?! I was so confused by the last 2 episodes :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 09:39:18 AM »
XD they look alike to be honest. Like their faces look similar.. maybe there are long lost brothers?!

But.. to be honest.. can someone please explain me what happened with Walter at the end?! Like what happened?! I was so confused by the last 2 episodes :p

I thought so too, maybe there is a hidden secret backstory behind those two! :P

Well, here we go!
Spoiler for Hidden:
Walter -as you might recall- tried to hold his head up high when growing older. He talked about it as if it was a good thing. Something to be proud of.
However, he never truly came to terms with the fact of him growing older, especially when the person he was around the most never aged at all (Alucard). He grew jealous. He wanted to be on equal footing. He too wanted immortality and feel young.
So when it came to it, the General would give Walter his wish. He would be young again, more agile, and more powerful, but because it was something experimental (which Walter was warned about as he lets Alucard know during battle at the end) it would make him younger and younger, and eventually lead to his death. A typical 'failed' experiment, but something they knew would happen beforehand.
Maybe they didn't know the solution to that problem, or maybe they did and did not want Walter to survive regardless whether he would win or not, so they kept it in.
Either way he got pretty screwed over.

Hope that explains it :D

Offline Vortex Cynbel

• Eager Elephant
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 09:50:17 AM »
Yep thanks for the reply ^__^ . Do you have any merchandise from Hellsing? I personally have a mouse pad :p . I am planning on getting a mug too ^_^

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 09:56:37 AM »
No problem :D
It's fun talking about this with and to you (and hopefully others soon will follow).

Oooh O:
Well, I have one of those textile posters. If you want I put a picture here of it if you want?
(It's my favourite poster of everything I have in poster-style, although my Bleach poster too, it's a pretty good poster :P).

I hope to one day have all the episodes on official DVD releases. (Or Blu-ray. I honestly don't care if it's either or :P)
I saw an acquiantance in Germany having the Hellsing DVD set (with extra's and so on), as well as varuous figurines, etc. Such a small appartment, but filled with Hellsing merchandise!

What does the mug look like? o3o

As of which, one of the cosplays I hope on doing is a Hellsin (Ultimate) one. I have been meaning to do one for years. Specifically a co-cosplay.
I know how I want to be >->

Offline Vortex Cynbel

• Eager Elephant
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 10:12:12 AM »
There's a shop with various mugs (https://www.redbubble.com/shop/hellsing+mugs)

I personally love the red one with the pentagram  in the middle ^__^

And I didn't know you did cosplay! Awesome! There was an anime con in my city lately and so many great cosplayers ^__^ . There was one who cosplayed as Alucard too! ^-^

What characters have you been cosplaying? And what character from Hellsing you wanna cosplay?

Offline Vortex Cynbel

• Eager Elephant
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 08:45:16 AM »
So what's the scene that creeped you out most from Hellsing? ;p

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 08:52:15 AM »
I wouldn't say I was creeped out at any point necessarily, but there were a few scenes I was like: Uhm.... UHM... Ok ;_;
For example:

Spoiler for Hidden:

The fight with the Dandyman, where Alucard does that thing at the end, severely injuring the Dandyman.
I could not stand watching that part one bit ;_;

Another example is the battle with Rip van Winkle (rather much an English-vibed name due to the spelling of the last part, 'van' is more Dutch than German).

Yours?

(As of which that mug looks interesting ^^)

Offline Vortex Cynbel

• Eager Elephant
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 09:04:21 AM »
Honestly I was really creeped out when Integra cut her finger and fed Serras >w<. Creepy *shivers*

Do you plan watching the original Hellsing?