The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Into the White  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Snowpaw

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Now you see me...
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctix Fox
  • Coloring: Light blue, almost white
  • Height: Four and a half feet
  • Weight: 120 pounds
  • Build: Lean, compact.
Into the White
« on: October 25, 2007, 11:36:20 AM »
I imagine some of you may not approve of a new member such as myself attempting to start his own rp, and a serious one at that. I only ask that you judge this action on the quality of the story provided, and the knowledge that rp'ing is really the only way I know to establish myself, since I do not yet know enough about the furry world to interact in any other manner.

Into the White takes place in the far future, in a world still recovering from a massive war that nearly brought extinction to all life. For a time, a select few countries ruled supreme. These nations bore superior military knowledge, both in the areas of tactics and weaponry. For a time, it was believed these nations would rule unopposed, forever. But, as is the nature of knowledge, these nations could not hold onto their secrets forever. Little by little, smaller, underdeveloped countries began to discover the same weapons, the same tactics. Perhaps, cruel though it is to say, it would have been better if these nations had been crushed underfoot from the start. However, this took place in a time where tolerance was valued, and military force was used reluctantly and only when there was no other option. By the time the leaders of these nations realized their error, it was too late. Four out of five world countries possessed firepower enough to destroy the world should they so choose. Tensions began to build between nations who could no longer find balance between their respective interests, who could not use force to achieve their own ends. For over twenty years, the ideal of world peace was finally achieved, but through fear alone. The fear that any country who engaged in military action against any other would spark a war of such intensity as to annihilate all life on this planet. Faced with this knowledge, the nations leaders met in a special assembly, and tried to negotiate a plan to slowly but urely eliminate each nations military arms. At this, they failed. No nation would lower it's military defenses and expose themselves to invasion and defeat by their neighbors.

It was never clear just who fired the first shot. The repercussions were such that no one cared. Within two days, half the world was in ruins. It was a war as had never been seen on earth, nor would its like ever be seen again. Many tried to flee the desolation, but there was nowhere to run...for most. Faced with devastation on a global scale, some few survivors fled to the one place that was most likely to remain untouched by the conflict, the one place where they could hope to lead their own lives.

They fled to the arctic.

For some, the move was fatal. Humans tried to survive in the extreme cold of the arctic waste, and even managed to hang on for two generations, but the arctic proved too much for them. The furres likewise struggled to survive, and almost died off as well. However, some few of these managed to hang on, doing whatever they could to survive. As chaos reigned and the world destroyed itself, a chosen few remained in the only safe haven, clinging to the ice.

Hundreds of years have passed, and in the struggle to survive, history has been forgotten, and those now living in the endless snows have no knowledge that life was ever different. Some have adapted to the deep and bitter cold, have returned to the wild, and roam the wastes alone. Others, less resilient, survive by staying together in small communities within the Rim. Life is hard, but peaceful on the whole. However, things are about to take a turn for the worse.

Many times throughout history, the world climate has changed. Sometimes this change has been slow, but at others the change is rapid, its effects immediate. One such change has begun to occur, and the arctic, always cold, is growing ever colder. Even within the Rim, those not strong enough to survive the change have begun to die off, and the decrease in temperature gives no sign of stopping. But in the deep and bitter cold, a memory, born of instinct, begins to stir in the hearts of those who live amongst the snow. A memory of warmth and sunshine, of a place without unending ice. To some, it is insanity, a childish fantasy of other worlds that could not possibly exist, but for those who have felt its call, a great adventure is about to begin.

There just may be a land of warmth, just waiting for those brave enough to venture into the white...

Details:

Furres: The people who live within the shelter of the Rim. They are not as hardy or resilient as the wild ones, but they are more social and survive by being dependent on one another. They live in large cave networks carved into the rim wall. Furres tend to be very friendly and comfortable with each other, so much so that a furre can almost never be seen alone. They usually keep company with other furres, and even sleep in groups to effectively conserve body heat. Furres have an innate distrust of the wild ones. Most are bipedal (walk on two legs).

Wild Ones: Those furres who have managed to adapt to the harsh conditions of the arctic. They can sometimes be seen within the Rim, but most live without. Wild ones are solitary creatures by nature, and tend to behave much more like animals than normal furres. Their name comes from the fact that they have returned to the wild in many respects, but most are still capable of speech should they choose to use it, and though it is rare for a wild one to interact with a furre in friendly terms, it is not unheard of. Though all wild ones still retain the ability to walk on two legs, most prefer to run on all fours.

The Rim: A tall, circular mountain range somewhere in the arctic. Furres can only survive within the shelter of the Rim, as it alone offers some protection from the Winds that blanket the rest of the arctic.

The Winds: The Winds are bitter cold and constantly blow across the surface of the arctic, though they are less severe inside the Rim. Wild Ones have learned to survive in their midst. When the Winds blow strong enough, a White is created.

The White: A fierce surge in the Winds. A White blows so fiercely that a veritable wall of snow is created in front of it, hence it's name. the windchill factor within a White is so severe that very few things are able to survive for more than a few minutes inside. Even Wild Ones lose their lives to it on occasion. As such, the White has become a symbol of death in the culture of the furres. Hence, when someone dies, it is said that they have "gone into the White".

Food: Within the Rim, most food is obtained via cave farming. The Rim mountains are composed of stone, even if it is covered in about a hundred feet of ice. Several varieties of edible plantlife have adapted to grow in the mountain rock. This is the primary food source for Furres. Where Wild Ones obtain their food is unknown.

More details will be revealed as the story progresses. In a very vague sense, the goal is simple. If the weather keeps getting colder, Furres will no longer be able to survive in the arctic. They must leave the safety of the Rim and travel to the edge of the world and beyond in search of the land of warmth. To enter this rp, begin by posting your character's name, species, and whether he/she is a furre or a wild one. Also provide a brief description of what your character looks like. Other details of your character will be revealed by the character's actions. The rp starts inside the Rim, in one of the communities in the Rim wall.

Name: Snowpaw
Species: Arctic Fox
Type: Wild One
Appearance: See profile

Snowpaw felt the soft, fresh snow compacting under his paws as he quietly made his way through the snow. In the distance, he could see a small settlement within the Rim wall. He often crossed the mountains to see how the Furres fared in their attempt to live. He pitied them in a way, it was interesting to watch their feeble attempts to understand the world in which they lived, the world they barely understood. Laying in the snow, invisible to all eyes, he watched...and waited.
If I seem ignorant of anything, it is most likely because I am. I am new to the furry world, so as of yet I don't know much. Please have patience.

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
Re: Into the White
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 04:33:23 PM »
Name: Airlea
Species: Arctic Wolf
Type: Now one of the Furres, used to be a Wild One.
Appearance: See profile

She walked softly through the snow, not really going anywhere inparticular. Scanning the area as she walked, she sighed. It was definately getting colder. She could feel it even before others had started to talk about it. Roaming the snowy streets of the community was a routine thing for her since she didn't have much to do. Still partially a Wild One at heart, she hadn't really made any close friends, just some acquaintances. She had only decided to live within the Rim because it wasn't as cold as the rest of the terrain was or else she would still be wandering around in the wild on her own. She waved a paw at someone who passed her, one of her acquaintances. She looked down at the ground as she walked on.

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline Marquis Lythis

• Foxy Fox
  • H. P. Lovecraft is my hero. Worship him.
    • IMVU page
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Black, fur has a slight pearlescent sheen
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: 170lbs
  • Build: average
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 09:12:23 PM »
Name: Masko
Species: fox (vulpes vulpes)
Type: Furre
Appearance:
     Coloring:     Black
     Height:     Four foot seven
     Weight:     80 pounds
     Build:     thin.

He walked around, taking a breath of the crisp cold air of the Rim. He didn't like it here. He never has. He could never survive outside though, not being black, he'd be spotted a mile away in the whiteness of ice and snow. Not even his family was black, they were red, but that wasn't any better really. He couldn't help but think there had to be something out their better then this. He'd heard the wives tales, sunny days of warmth. Some dared to say there wasn't even ice. He didn't know about all that, but he kind of felt the desire to look for it. As he pondered on all that, he bumped into Airlea. "Oh! 'Scuse me, I'm sorry. I wasn't paying any attention."
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 10:10:33 PM by Marquis Lythis »
Wishmaster: Djinn: You wish to know what I am? To you, I am this: The cry of the abandoned child. The whimper of the whipped beast. I am the face that stares back at you from the shadows of your mirror. The hollowness at the heart of all your hopes, Alexandra. I AM DESPAIR.

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 11:47:36 PM »
She almost snapped at him when he bumped into her because he took her by surprise, but she stopped herself from doing so and spoke in a calm manner. "Oh, don't worry about it. I wasn't watching where I was going, I was looking at the ground." She gave him a reassuring smile and shrugged at the last part of what she said. It was partly her fault after all.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 12:05:08 AM by VeeSmith »

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline Marquis Lythis

• Foxy Fox
    • IMVU page
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 07:20:09 AM »
"Oh. Um... right. Sorry anyway, i should keep my wits about me. My head was off in the White, so to speak." He shrugged, grinning oddly.
Wishmaster: Djinn: You wish to know what I am? To you, I am this: The cry of the abandoned child. The whimper of the whipped beast. I am the face that stares back at you from the shadows of your mirror. The hollowness at the heart of all your hopes, Alexandra. I AM DESPAIR.

Offline Snowpaw

• Vibrating Furby
  • Now you see me...
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 08:44:43 AM »
Snowpaw, having seen all he wanted to see, nearly retreated back to the Flats (OOC: the large, flat, snowy plain covering most of the interior of the Rim. Furre civilization exists mostly on the Rim's edge, the interior of the plains encircled by the mountains is much like the wastes that lay without, only to a lesser egree of severity. Whites do sometimes occur in the Flats, but rarely.), but held his position when he saw something that caught his interest. There was a lovely wolf out there, speaking with one of the Furres, but he could tell she was not one of them. Her lean, muscular build, the color of her fur, her posture, ready to spring into action at a moment's notice...these details marked her clearly as one of his own kind...a Wild One.

Intrigued, he began to inch his way closer. It was a delicate task, moving each paw just right, placing it without a sound. She may have reverted to a Furre, but he knew that a Wild One never lost it's instincts. He could stand on the toe of almost any Furre in the Rim and not be seen, but he knew that one sudden movement, one misplaced step, and she would know he was there. Not that it made any difference if his presence was detected, but he preferred to remain unseen and unheard if he could help it. Slowly inching his way towards the pair in the street, he listened.
If I seem ignorant of anything, it is most likely because I am. I am new to the furry world, so as of yet I don't know much. Please have patience.

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 08:46:45 PM »
She chuckled a little. "Yeah, I know what you mean. I tend to get lost in my thoughts sometimes so I can be pretty inattentive. I'm Airlea, by the way." She held out a paw to him. As she held out her paw she could sense that she was being watched but she ignored this at the moment.

Offline Marquis Lythis

• Foxy Fox
    • IMVU page
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 08:50:40 PM »
"Oh, um. I'm Masko." He shook her paw heartily and grinned again. He, however, was completely oblivious that they were being watched.

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 09:03:13 PM »
"Nice to meet you." She smiled, shaking his paw then letting go. She kind of turned her head to one side for a second, seeing if she could spot whoever was watching them but she saw no one. Then she turned her head and looked back at him.

Offline Snowpaw

• Vibrating Furby
  • Now you see me...
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 09:14:38 PM »
The turn of Airlea's head did not go unnoticed on Snowpaw's part. He had been detected; how he did not know. He was certain he had never made a sound in his approach. Oh well, it was pointless to ponder the how and why, his cover was blown. So long as he did not move, she would be unable to determine his exact location while speaking with the furre. However, once the conversation was over, he had no doubt her innate curiosity would force her to seek him out in the snow. Now that she was aware of his presence, any movement in an attempt to retreat would give him away to her keen senses, and staying where he was guaranteed being located once she had the chance to look for him. Thinking of this, Snowpaw came to the decision that he would rather reveal himself on his own terms than be discovered by another. Not bothering to mask the sound of his steps, he slowly approached the pair in the street.

Offline Marquis Lythis

• Foxy Fox
    • IMVU page
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 09:17:16 PM »
Masko started when the snow was suddenly a Wild one. he stammered, as he pointed "I.. Iea.. Friend of yours?"

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 09:33:05 PM »
She looked over at the Wild One when she heard him, even before Masko had said anything. I knew I sensed someone! She looked at Masko. "I don't believe that I know him." She looked back towards the Wild One, examining him to see if he was familiar to her.

Offline Marquis Lythis

• Foxy Fox
    • IMVU page
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 09:38:47 PM »
While it wasn't very brave of him, he edged behind her a little.

Offline Snowpaw

• Vibrating Furby
  • Now you see me...
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 09:44:07 PM »
Snowpaw, sensing an awkward moment, attempted to initiate conversation in a deep, almost growling voice. (OOC: not actually growling, that's just his voice.)

"Well well, isn't this an occasion? Two of our kind in the same area at the same time...a rare occurrence by any standard. Although I am rather curious as to what exactly gave me away. Please, do tell."

Sparing a glance at the furre, Snowpaw sighed bitterly. "Oh, do I scare you? Nice to know I still have fear as an ally. In your case, however, I wouldn't be alarmed. I'm not much for direct combat, so if you know where I am you should be safe. Just don't let me get behind you..." With this, Snowpaw grinned slightly, and the tips of his sharp fangs became wisible below his lip.

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 10:44:24 PM »
She watched him intently. "Well, I didn't hear you...I just sensed that someone was watching us..." She glanced back at Masko and then back at the Wild One. "And how, may I ask, did you know that I was one of your kind?" She asked him, curious as to what gave her away.