The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: An issue I've kept to myself for a while.  (Read 358 times)

Offline EvilCorgi

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Pembroke Welsh Corgi
  • Coloring: Brown and white
  • Height: 5'7''
  • Weight: 136 pounds
  • Build: light
  • Currently: tulpaforcing
An issue I've kept to myself for a while.
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:08:22 PM »
I don't know what I want to do with my life. I don't know if my current education will be enough to ensure that I can do what I want to, when I decide what that is. I don't feel like I'm doing particularly well at the moment, or what to do to improve other than "do it more". Everything great about adulthood seems so far off, and everything hard and scary about it seems so close. I don't know what to think about religion, I don't have a solid grasp on my own sexuality, and I don't know anyone in real life who would be willing to discuss the two beyond trying to re-affirm my faith with bible verses, or asking me "why I would want to 'turn gay'". I can't even work up the courage to make my likes and feelings known to the people I know. I feel like I've made myself look like an indecisive flake to every online community I've been on. I don't know if this is worth any of your time, or if any of you will care, or if this is something I'll look at in a month and cringe at. I don't even know what kind of advice I'm looking for, or could possibly get. I suppose it was just nice to get that off my chest though. Sorry if this is just a non-problem, and I just wasted your time with it.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: An issue I've kept to myself for a while.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 10:55:53 AM »
Not at all EvilCorgi! This is rants and advice and it's designed to rant about things that upset you, so you're not wasting anybodies time *huggles*

So lets start with the sexuality, I have two tips for you.

1. Sexuality is NOT a discrete thing, it's usually very fluid, you may find yourself partly attracted to females and mostly attracted to males, or partly attracted to males and mostly attracted to females. It doesn't make you straight, or gay, or bi, or anything, because it's very "gray" area. In general, you may be attracted to a whole lot of things and trying to classify yourself can be very difficult, so try to keep in mind that sexuality is fluid and not necessarily discrete.
  2. Don't worry too much about where you "fit in" in the whole sexuality concept. This is derived from the first but in an essense don't try to classify yourself too much, just realize that you're attracted to whatever you're attracted to and there's not really too much beyond that. If you can classify yourself and you want to, then do, but don't worry if you can't, we're all unique, just know that what you're attracted to is what you're attracted to.

It's a shame none of your friends are willing to appropriately discuss that topic with you, but there's a whole bunch of online resources you can use, like the fandom for example. Discussing it with people can help quite a bit but at the end of the day it's all about finding out who you are and what you do, we can help but it's up to you to actually find it.

As for the education, you don't know what you want to do yet, that's ok. Some people (a lot of people) don't know what they want to do until the YEAR they get into university, a lot of people don't even know after then, not knowing what you want to do is normal, it's just a matter of trying new things and seeing what subjects you enjoy. Maybe it's computer science? Maybe Physics? Maybe Economics? Maybe carpeting? It doesn't matter, it could be anything, it's just a good idea to pursue your interests and finding those interests by trying a whole bunch of new things.

You don't feel like you're doing well enough. There could be a lot of reasons why, for one, some subjects like mathematics require a lot of work and repetition so making sure you put in the work is a good step, but you've said that you've tried and it hasn't helped to a great degree. The other method is to ask for help from a teacher or possibly get a tutor! Trust me, actually pursuing help is something a lot of people aren't brave enough to do, but if you do it you'll find yourself getting much better grades and understanding the content a lot more. The other idea is to collaborate with friends, stop working alone and study with your best mates and figuring out how to solve problems together, when your friend doesn't understand something that you do, explain it to him, when you don't understand and he does he explains it to you. Two minds is better than one, that couldn't be more apparent when studying in a group.

I hope that helped somewhat!
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline sigols

• Boisterous Bear
  • Rawr...
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf, fox
  • Coloring: Brown/red, white, blue
  • Height: 190 cm / 6 feet 4 inches
  • Weight: 80 kg / 175 lb
  • Build: Well fit, but not too much muscles
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Happy
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 01:45:59 PM »
Sexuality is often a thing people classify as "private", but its one of the things that is defining who you are. To get help on what sexuality you have, ask the forum. It scary as hell, but it helped me. Now I know what sexuality I am. http://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=23402.0 Do somethign similar, describe as best as you can what you feel, and ask for help.

For job... What would you be if money was no problem, doctor, dishwasher? If you know what you would to if money was not a problem, thats probaly what you really want to do.

Religion, thats a hard one. Don`t belive in any god or divine stuff before you feel its what you belive in.
This is the best advices I can give you. :S  And good luck  :P
"You are never alone, you always got yourself"

"Heaven is hell. No one can tell Illusions of holiness blind us
A fragment of time is all that you'll ever know" - Masterplan

Offline EvilCorgi

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Pembroke Welsh Corgi
  • Coloring: Brown and white
  • Height: 5'7''
  • Weight: 136 pounds
  • Build: light
  • Currently: tulpaforcing
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »
I hope that helped somewhat!
I think it will, thanks!