The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: People DO Understand Anthropomorphism  (Read 365 times)

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Awards
People DO Understand Anthropomorphism
« on: September 29, 2013, 04:21:26 PM »
Just recently I read a post on this forum that reminded me of a rather ridiculous trend that's been going on in the fandom: Many furries have this mentality that non-furries have no understanding of anthropomorphic animals. They believe writing a story or drawing a picture of an anthropomorphic creature just goes WAY over the average person's head, and they judge or simply "don't get it".

I honestly don't understand this. Apparently these furries aren't aware that anthropomorphism has been an artistic element for thousands of years. This concept is NOT new and exclusive to the furry fandom. You see this stuff every day. Think of all the stories and other media that have shown anthropomorphic animals: Redwall, Winnie the Pooh, Loony Tunes, Garfield, Franklin, Little Bear, Bear in the Big Blue House, even, I could go on! If these can be read and shown regularly and be understood and enjoyed by everyone, how will people "not get it" when you write a story with anthropomorphic animals in it? They would have no trouble understanding it at all, unless they are some stuck-up or troll.

Ever since I began expressing my creativity, drawing or text form, I have used anthropomorphic animals in most of my work. Not a single person was ever confused or judgmental about my work. Nearly every story I wrote for my creative writing class had anthropomorphic characters in it, and my teacher loved them the same.

So relax, write your stories, draw your pictures, show them off, and don't be afraid that people won't get it. They do!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:26:01 PM by Evnamishko »

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Re: People DO Understand Anthropomorphism
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 06:14:31 PM »
I agree, not only that, but I see a lot of artists around explicitly mentioning they are not furry artists, while they do draw antro-art.
So I think this has also, so to speak, 'upset' non-furries too.

The most ancient of (recorded) civilisations had some form of antropomorphic art to their mythology, this just proves your points even more.
I'm glad you mentioned this, hopefully more people will realise this that haven't already :)
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline NovaAurora

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • May the FURS be with you!
    • Awards
  • Species: Mostly wolf, part dragon
  • Coloring: Dark and light gray, with black streaks and dark blue extremities.
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 200 lbs
  • Build: Long and lanky, muscular but not bulging.
  • Currently: PC gaming... FINALLY!!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 06:19:07 PM »
The problem is not that people don't understand anthropomorphism I've found, they just literally don't know what "anthropomorphic" means. If that's the term you use with them you can see the little gears turning in their heads trying to figure out exactly what you're talking about, and like Ventus said some of them might draw it themselves but not know that's the technical term for it. If you just say "cartoon animals" or "animals with human traits" it seems to get the point across faster. Of course that only goes for if you have to explain it verbally to them, otherwise I agree just show them the artwork and they'll have no problem with it.

~*Airforce Fleet commander*~
We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Come raise your lantern to the sky
And let's illuminate this night
We'll dance like heathens
Around the flames
And while the world sleeps
WE ARE AWAKE!

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 06:21:48 PM »
Ah yes, you can always mention this:
Anthromorph, comes from the Greek words; Anthro (man/human), morph (form/base).
:)

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 06:44:46 PM »
Yeah, I understand that. I've had the same problem when explaining to people. But I'm not talking about the term. I'm talking about the concept. :P

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 07:45:30 PM »
Yes, I agree, the concept is a frustrating one by itself alone, but it is true (alas).
All I can hope for is that you won't experience this (as much) any longer, or just accept it and let people be like that. I wouldn't want to see anyone get upset about something they cannot help or prevent ^^;

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 10:33:02 PM »
Now you're confusing me. What I said was I was how people understand the concept of anthropomorphism, whether they know the term "anthropomorphism" or not. The concept is very easy to understand. I just wish other furries accepted that they don't "own" it. :I
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:36:02 PM by Evnamishko »

Offline BakaFawkes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • It's not personal text if you can read it!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Dark Fulvous, Reddish hair
  • Height: My height (How tall am I anyway?)
  • Weight: Same as me (still unknown, maybe 160-ish)
  • Build: Average, but nimble, naturally fit.
  • Currently: Totally stressin'
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 04:28:05 AM »
Aesop wasn't a furry artist, but he has the most historically known talking animals ever. Disney owns countless anthropomorphic characters that every child knows, but that's not a furry themed company.
You don't have to be great to start, you only have to start to be great.