The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Dead City of Bel-Aquain  (Read 3027 times)

Offline Lumnos Many-Fur

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Variable ~ Current Brown Bear
  • Coloring: Medium brown
  • Height: 7 ft
  • Weight: 225
  • Currently: Tasting a Breath of Winter
The Dead City of Bel-Aquain
« on: August 09, 2013, 05:06:14 AM »
(Just a bit of fun. Set in a tolkeinish-medieval universe. Feel free to join in.)

Tana pulled the last few remnants of the Rana-bird's cooked meat from the stick with his rear teeth, before tossing the stick into the fire. He licked his chops and wiped his muzzle clean with the back of one prehensile paw, and tossed another branch on the fire.

Darkness was gathering around the stone towers and buildings surrounding him, turning the arched windows into so many empty pits of blackness. A chilly damp wind ruffled his dark grey fur.

His fox ears had picked up no sounds of danger that evening, the place was nearly silent. It was errie, compared to the noise of a living forest at night. After a glance at the rubble-strew streets, Tana settled back on his haunches and pulled the bow from his shoulders. He set it aside, but within easy reach. He had learned the hard way to be cautious in the last few months, he was far outside his home territory, beyond the boundaries of any map he'd ever seen and the reckoning of the sages of the White Towers.

He took the quiver from his left shoulder, pulling out a bundle of long straight sticks he'd cut earlier in the wood outside the city. from the leather bag at his side he pulled the green-feathered wings of the Rana-bird, and with a small knife set about turning the feathers into fletching for new arrows.

Aang_Coyote

Re: The Dead City of Bel-Aquain
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 04:02:43 AM »
From far away in the distance, a lizard named Rig was watching through his new invention, binoculars. He noticed that he made a fire near the "things" nest. If he doesn't help him, he'll die or just become another one of those beasts. He starts walking near him, if he suprises the traveler, the traveler will attack. So I can allow myself to be loud. Just once...

Offline Lumnos Many-Fur

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 11:41:31 PM »
Tana's ears shifted quickly toward the noise. He softly picked up his bow and laid it across his knees, nocking an arrow in the string. It would be easy to reach should he need to draw it, but not too threatening to whoever might approach

"In the name of Tobarthu, if you come in peace be welcome." He said loudly, seeing a figure approach. Not that that greeting means much out here. He thought darkly. Old habits and all.

Aang_Coyote

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 12:41:45 AM »
"I come in peace, but we need to talk urgently. You are near the beast's cave, you'll be attacked soon if you don't put out that fire and follow me your as good as dead."

Offline Lots-of-Paws

• Avid Aardvark
  • We're all mad here!
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 12:46:35 AM »
High above the forest Radina flew. Her wings fluttered quickly and her ears listened closely for any sounds down below. She spots a red glow of a fire in the distance, her curiosity entices her to get a closer look.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Lumnos Many-Fur

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 08:12:07 AM »
Tana's eyes widened in surprise, and he couldn't help but glance to either side. He frowns and curses inwardly, disliking the fact that he hadn't noticed the 'beast's' lair. New as he was to the area, it was probably something he couldn't recognize.

"Very well." He says with a nod to the lizard. He grabs the bow, keeping the arrow in place under his grip, and kicks dirt over the fire with one foot. The light vanishes and milky smoke rises from the ashes. He shoulders the quiver with the other paw, leaving the Rana-feathers and unfinished arrow shafts. No sense in taking them if it was this urgent, and if he needed the bow he might well find himself trying to shoot useless sticks by accident.

Tana starteds to follow the lizard, keeping wary eyes and ears on his surroundings, but also on who he is following. He'd learned the hard way not to fully trust everyone who gave a word of peace, particularly those who came in darkness. Until he knew for sure he'd keep his bow ready.

Offline Lots-of-Paws

• Avid Aardvark
  • We're all mad here!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 03:19:02 PM »
The red glow disappeared and smoke wafted up into the dark sky. Radina squeaked into the night, the 'echo' came back to her. Two people were walking through the forest, dangerously close to the beasts lair. She decided to follow, she flapped her wings and lowered down to the top of the tree line.

Aang_Coyote

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 04:31:55 PM »
*he walked until they got to his house (or at least the remnants of it)* "Come in, I'll explain what the situation is here, I can tell your new here to take a risky move like that"

Offline Lumnos Many-Fur

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 03:11:30 AM »
"Very well." Tana says, following the lizardfolk toward the house.

He glanced behind them at the sound of several chirps at the very edge of his hearing, but saw no movement in the misty streets. He slipped through the doorway and stood against the wall just inside, out of sight from anyone looking through the door, but close enough to make a quick escape if need be. He put one foot back against the wall, still holding the arrow in his bow at the handle. 

"I am called Tana, and I am indeed now to this land." He said guardedly. "Might I know your name?"

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 03:13:28 AM by Lumnos Many-Fur »

Aang_Coyote

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 04:55:21 AM »
"Rig", he said," This land has prospered over 100's of years. It was a democracy here and we liked to keep it that way. We defended against many attacks against people who wanted to change us. We were free here. There was religious freedom, no discrimination against anything, and had glorious artwork. We were a strong land. Until that unfortunate day. I was a scientist, I studied how to cure these new pesky diseases popping up. I myself was constantly at work. One day I was so sleep deprived, I feel asleep while working. I accidentally mixed 2 deadly microbes from 2 simialiar but different strains. I could of stopped the virus from spreading except I didn't know I mixed them, so I sent it in to cure Skin Forrest Disease. That what made those horrible things. I still think of that everyday, I've almost considered suicide. To pass my time and depression I started inventing. There are many scraps here and there. Here is my latest.* takes something out of his bag and holds out something that looks like 2 short metal poles* I call them Binoculars, they allow you to see stuff from far away. I have multiple, you can have one."

Offline Lots-of-Paws

• Avid Aardvark
  • We're all mad here!
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »
Radina perched on a tree branch just out side a woren house. She watched to figures disappear inside. She strained to hear what was going on. She thrived on curiosity and often got into situations that almost got .her killed, but something told her this time would be different.

Offline Lumnos Many-Fur

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 01:22:13 AM »
"Hm." Tana takes the binoculars and turns them over in his paws, wondering whether they might be magic of some kind. He relaxed a little, sensing honesty in Rig's words.

"The land I come from fall into chaos as well. Black unthinking beasts that drink blood and kill came from the south, they left few survivors among those who resisted. They followed one master, and he now sits on White Hart's throne." Tana's voice lowers as he talks, becoming bitter and wistful. "I was one of the King's guard once, We were assigned to guard the royal family as they fled the capitol. We were separated from the rest, the king and three of us. We escaped but the king was bitten, he did not have long to live. He ordered those of us who survived to flee with our lives. I left, there was little I could do. Perhaps I will go back there one day." His ears turn back for a moment, and then he shakes his head.

"What do the beasts you speak of look like? And how might one fight them?"

Offline Lots-of-Paws

• Avid Aardvark
  • We're all mad here!
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 01:39:14 AM »
Radina heard the man's story and her ears drooped in sorrow. She jumped from her branch and fluttered to the ground. She floated to he door and knocked softly.

Aang_Coyote

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 02:50:37 AM »
*Shushs Tana and walks to the door* Rig Whispers "Beasts Are to stupid to knock". He then talks loudly enough so the person outside can hear "Friendly Or Foe?"

Offline Lumnos Many-Fur

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 06:04:49 AM »
Tana quietly steps away from the wall and back half a pace, giving himself room to draw the bow if need be.

Who would answer foe, I wonder? He thought. He readied his bow all the same, holding it low with one paw at the handle, one on the bowstring and the nocked arrow.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:08:53 AM by Lumnos Many-Fur »