The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How your fursona came to be  (Read 12297 times)

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
Re: How your fursona came to be
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 12:01:28 AM »
Why/how did you decide your fursona's species?
In short: the first species to come to mind when deciding species was wolf and fox, I also did some quiz which put me at fox, so I decided for a fox.
Then later on I went on more and more into detail with my fursona and changed from being just a fox to being the mixbreed fox I am now.

Is there a reason or meaning behind their name?
Basically, "Feral" originates from "Feral Imp" and Fox, well... he's a fox XD
Timmy is my nickname IRL

Did you just stick with natural animal colors, or did you have a reason for picking other colors?
I did at first go with all natural coloring, but then when I started really going into detail with him and such I based it on the natural fox coloring but used some own ideas; fully brown ears, white striped tail, no white on the head.

The lack of white colors on the muzzle/cheek/neck was also actually made by accident; I originally had those colors but kept forgetting to add it when coloring my artings of him and instead made it all orange, so therefore I then decided to keep it like so.

Do you have any distinguishing markings on your fursona? If so, what are they, and why?
I don't really have any markings at all, let alone unpleasant looking ones.

Does your fursona's personality match your own, or is it different?
Both yes and no; while Feral's personality doesn't too much match mine, I still believe to have his personality as a second part (or split?) of my own personality. When I'm ropleplaying or talking like him I feel like if I'm using another part of me. Also sometimes after having chatted with someone for a lil' while I can just "switch" and start talking about something completely unrelated or if arguing, I change my way of arguing completely.

In short, I see Feral as a second part of me which completes me.

Does your fursona have a back story different from your own past?
Even tho I'm sure that I could come up with something if I wanted to, I've never really considered any back story for him.
So no, at least not until' I can bother making an actual back story for him.

How much is your fursona like you? Do you share the same interests? Did you include any of your personal flaws in your fursona, or are they an "idealized" version of you?
As explained before, my fursona is like a second part of me that completes me.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline mulchardude

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Grey Fox
  • Coloring: Silvery Grey, Burnt Orange, Mottled Black, Dirty Cream
  • Height: 5'2"
  • Weight: 123lbs.
  • Build: short and scrawny
  • Currently: Coding Drawing Browsing Working Sleeping
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 01:39:00 AM »
I have multiple fursonas, but their design follows a natural progression as I learn more about myself, and the fandom over the years.
I started as a wolf, and moved to kitsune, then regular fox, which I've stayed loyal to since, despite several experiments with other species.  Their creation was a combination of pre-existing interest in the species, comparison with my own personality, and simple fun - "What would it be like to have fur, a muzzle, and tail?"   XD

1) Why/how did you decide your fursona's species?
For wolf, I've always admired wolves; they're cool.  Also I was an avid fan of Princess Mononoke at the time (still love it, along with all other Miyazaki films).

For kitsune, there were an increasing number of them in the RP Forums I frequented with the wolf character.  I was curious, so looked them up.  This led to reading about fox as a totem animal, which pretty much cemented me as fox, but I had several kitsune characters before I settled on one for a few years.

I also had regular fox characters alongside the kitsune, and eventually stopped playing kitsune altogether.  Still have the character, just don't play him much anymore.

All my characters have some things in common:  they start with no family/friends/connections; they've got *one* central ability that everything else revolves around; they all have green eyes.  Different shades, but green.  Dunno why, but I like green eyes.

2) Is there a reason or meaning behind their name?
Yes, with each.  The first time I pretty much translated the name meanings of each part of my real name into Japanese.
I played with Japanese  a few times, usually picking a word having something to do with the character.  For the kitsune I kept around, I just liked the sound of the name - I knew what it meant, but that had nothing to do with the character.  Well, except that it was femenine.

Then I started using babynames.com and other name sites, searching by meaning or just looking through lists of different names by region.  I liked the sound of Nevan, and it means 'little saint' which I figured was fitting for him.  And it's a flashback to my first character, so a plus.

Currently I'm working on a character named Odyssey, and he's nobody's fool ("My name is Nohbdy!" - The Odyssey) (The Fool's Journey - Tarot Explanations).  Which is to say, he's a complete fool and loves it.

3) Did you just stick with natural animal colors, or did you have a reason for picking other colors?
I like sticking to natural colors.  I've messed with neons and other strange things, but can't really make them work for me.
I do like to play with the patterns/order though.  Nevan is more of a desert theme even though he's based off a Red Fox.
On top of this, his colors are reversed from a red fox:  Light on the outside, dark down the front.  Aki was all one color, and Saiai was an ordinary grey wolf in design.  Odyssey's a grey fox with some slightly unique markings, but otherwise the right colors.

4) Do you have any distinguishing markings on your fursona? If so, what are they, and why?
Each is different.  Saiai had scars on his face and red hair in a ponytail (I haven't put normal hair on a fursona since).  Aki was all a cream color, maybe with some ever so slight darker markings.  But barely there, subtle.

Nevan has these brown 'comets' under his eyes, see my icon.  Also the reverse coloring I mentioned, cream outside and brown in front, with the smaller markings all done in the darkest brown.

Odyssey has the typical grey fox coloring, with the specific marking of a cross/diamond between his shoulder blades, from the black stripe that fades in at the top of the head and goes down the back to the tail.  Other than that, light underbelly, silvery-grey basetone, and brown-red sides and a little on the face - then black paws and a *little* of the tailtip, and that stripe down the back on top of the grey.  Complex but not too uncommon.

5) Does your fursona's personality match your own, or is it different?
Each of my characters focuses on one or several aspects of my personality, then expands from there into something unique.
Saiai was all about the internal battle between good and evil, the angel and devil at the shoulders thing.  Alternately very silly and very serious, and a young warrior.

Aki:  Intelligence, cleverness, creativity, control.  Lots about control.  Magic.  Pride.  A sharp sense of humor, a barely contained fire.

Nevan:  Innocence, discovery, dreams, persistance, adventurousness fighting shyness.  Brain over braun, but anti-conflict.  Invention.

Odyssey:  Fun, exploration, personal growth.  An introvert being extroverted.  An explosion of life and creativity.  A work in progress.

6) Does your fursona have a back story different from your own past?
All of them do, yes.  Each is fantastical in some way or another, none of them are everyday.  Either Sci-fi or Fantasy or both.

7) How much is your fursona like you? Do you share the same interests? Did you include any of your personal flaws in your fursona, or are they an "idealized" version of you?
Hm...they're more like explorations of concepts.  In some ways idealised, yeah.  I can put them in ordinary situations, but I can't stand to make them ordinary themselves.

As for how they compare to me...each *is* me, at least a part of me.  Several of them tinker or invent - and I program, occasionally build things, and am "inventing" all the time in response to life.  I don't like just trusting the tried-and-true, I value it, but I like to try new things.  I also like to figure out how stuff works.  How and why are big, common questions for me, and that comes out a lot in my characters.  Sometimes this gets me into trouble, which is what Akisame and Odyssey are all about:  The mischievous plotting kitsune; the ridiculous, creatively chaotic try-anything-once fool.

And personal flaws, yes.  In some ways they help me explore these flaws to improve myself.  Sometimes I'm trying to isolate functional ability-flaw pairs, but that only works when I'm *not* trying.   XP

..."And that's why the universe exists!"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:52:17 AM by mulchardude »

Offline Cifero Windtail

• Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
  • I never give up... so don't push me. >_<
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Crat Feline-crow mix. (Just found out.... I HAVE FRACKING WINGS!!) (SO freaked out!!)
  • Coloring: Grey with dark grey stripes, Black hair, light blue scleras and blue corneas,
  • Height: 5' 10&quot;
  • Weight: 89 lbs. and then about 50 more (about 139 lbs.); he's fit, but he's not muscular. Has a bit of an outie.
  • Build: Lithe but wiry; a little soft around the middle, but it's hardly noticeable; he's actually got a rather feminine form.
  • Currently: Holding out for a hero... but always having to save myself.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 02:09:14 AM »
My fursona is based on my idea of a hero. Specifically, his coloring was influenced by one of my greatest idols, Jayfeather from the Warriors series. The knife, however, is of my imagination. But I do dress in similar clothing often.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:11:50 AM by Cifero Windtail »
  • Avatar by: I have three or four great ones: one by Sabah and a few by Lovableoutcast/Kishi... and also this one, drawn by Kayato/ Kaya... thanks guys. ^_^
  • Signature art by: I just want to tell you, the reference is a link to my other fursona.  Also: http://www.sanger.dk/
(I love my sister) http://www.zark.com http://www.zark.com/pages2/az66/az66b.html
Don't mess with Grammaton Clerics. THEY WILL END YOU.

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 5.11 ft
  • Weight: 165 pounds
  • Build: medium
  • Currently: beeing playfull
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 03:59:00 AM »

well at first i desided on a wolf but that didnt feel right so i tried a wolf hound and still it didnt well right, i went to a husky and it didnt feel right finaly i went to a wolf dog and it felt right.

yes, icy referes to the time of year i beacme a furry, and also a few other things. i use the name icy because i like the cold and it was around november, same day i sliped on some ice. and the name wolf well because i wanted something that could survive any where.

Did you just stick with natural animal colors, or did you have a reason for picking other colors?

sticked with the natural ones.

Do you have any distinguishing markings on your fursona? If so, what are they, and why?

yes, the "v" under the eyes beacuse i wanted to make it seem like he never sleeps, ( and i dont like to eather) on his left arm there is a paw print tattoo, because i some times feel like a k-9 and on his right wrist there is a therian symbole tattoo, because iam a thrian.

matches my own, hes happy most of the time and loves to play and make people happy.

yes and no, his child hood is similer to mine but the only difrences is that hes a uses sowords and magic ( of couse i cant do eather ) to fight with.
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline Midnight Madness

• Lucifer 2.0 (Doggo Edition)
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • Absolutely adorable.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycanroc
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 175 lbs.
  • Build: Very well toned, intimidating despite his average height.
  • Currently: Guess who.
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 04:45:04 AM »
Why/how did you decide your fursona's species? Dragons were always my absolute favorite beings, and I always saw myself more related to them than any other creature; living or extinct.

Is there a reason or meaning behind their name? Other than the fact that S and X are two of my favorite letters, no.

Did you just stick with natural animal colors, or did you have a reason for picking other colors? Well, technically there isn't a "regular" coloration for dragons; but I guess my color choice is a more simplistic one. I always loved how white and blue looked together, so the choice was obvious; same for the black and red.

Do you have any distinguishing markings on your fursona? If so, what are they, and why? He has a diamond shaped indent in the center of his chest; but his entire species has them.

Does your fursona's personality match your own, or is it different? His personality is mine, completely and unquestioningly.

Does your fursona have a back story different from your own past? Dramatically different. He grew up in a river gorge and is a massive 16 ton dragon; top warrior of his clan, no less, and can utilize magic and biokinesis. His family was never shattered, and he never had to worry about school. But he also had to live with watching everyone he cared about after moving to Ireland perish before an army of self-superior killers.

How much is your fursona like you? Do you share the same interests? Did you include any of your personal flaws in your fursona, or are they an "idealized" version of you? My 'sona is a mix of both. His personality, flaws and interests are all the same as mine; but he has higher endurance and unseen strength, and is a top warrior.Basically, he fills the void of what I wish I could do in a physical manner; run for long periods, fly, etc. etc.

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • When god closes a door, I plant a breaching charge
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: African Painted Dog
  • Coloring: Black, red and white.
  • Height: Standing: short. Sitting: Slightly... taller?
  • Weight: 97.000000000000017 Kg
  • Build: Medium build, muscular.
  • Currently: Working on the sweetest sciences
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 09:02:40 PM »
Why/how did you decide your fursona's species? I've always had an affinity for dogs. As it turns out I like dogs more than I rightly should I've been told xD Seeing as I prefer my mutts to most human contact (in many situations, anyhow) so it was kind of a genesis of this. It was also influenced by my belief in the theory of evolution, wherein humans appear to have likely first existed in Africa. Anthropomorphism is the combination of human and inhuman traits so this genetic history seemed fitting, if only related to the continent we were spawned from.

Is there a reason or meaning behind their name? "Aoren" Was the protagonist in the first story I ever wrote (A sentence that right turned itself into a novella) and after the text was lost (computer fried. Literally an electrical surge with no backup) I became somewhat attached to the name. Since then it has appeared leading characters, objects and even titles in languages shared by me and my creations. The "Deringer" part ended up because of the internet, no less. Well, my 360 but it was connected to the internet. Aoren was not an option. So I experimented with words off the top of my head and Deringer felt right. It just kinda... Stuck I suppose :o

Did you just stick with natural animal colors, or did you have a reason for picking other colors? I kept with the natural scheme. Both because of its unusual patterning to begin with but also because the species is unique enough so I don't worry about blending in with the crowd. My uniqueness is also brought to light by my rather unusual creations (AKA Glomp my pacman ghost xD)

Do you have any distinguishing markings on your fursona? If so, what are they, and why? Nope. Probably because it seems as if everyone has some sort of tattoo or scar- Being unique just comes to me. Maybe because of my offbeat personality.
Does your fursona's personality match your own, or is it different? My fursona is me- we are one in the same. So you might say we are exactly alike :P

Does your fursona have a back story different from your own past? My fursona has no back story. And as far as most people should be concerned, neither do I.
How much is your fursona like you? Do you share the same interests? Did you include any of your personal flaws in your fursona, or are they an "idealized" version of you?As a continuation of my earlier theme: flawed.
  • Avatar by: Myself, during an experiment with inversion.
"Science isn't about being conservative with your cash, it's about spending as much as you can as ridiculously as you can and hoping it doesn't explode."
- Sjin

-Aoren Rekner Ilon Deringer, F.D.F. Mechanised Unit Commander, Four Stars.

Life is an adventure! Sure, you'll probably spend most of it weeping uncontrollably, and on fire, but hey!

Offline NJMike

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
  • Species: Crux
  • Coloring: Black and gray
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 150 lbs.
  • Build: Athletic/toned, very flexible.
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 10:29:50 PM »
- Because I relate the most to housecats and they're my favorite pet. Shark because I like their tail and I wanted to be creative and not just a plain cat.

-Shakat is a portmanteau of cat and shark.

-Just normal colors, yes.

-Nope.

-Yep.

-Nope.

How much is your fursona like you? Do you share the same interests? Did you include any of your personal flaws in your fursona, or are they an "idealized" version of you?
-My fursona is 100% alike me, just his orientation is gay while I'm asexual.
  • Signature art by: Puncia

Offline Cifero Windtail

• Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Crat Feline-crow mix. (Just found out.... I HAVE FRACKING WINGS!!) (SO freaked out!!)
  • Coloring: Grey with dark grey stripes, Black hair, light blue scleras and blue corneas,
  • Weight: 89 lbs. and then about 50 more (about 139 lbs.); he's fit, but he's not muscular. Has a bit of an outie.
  • Build: Lithe but wiry; a little soft around the middle, but it's hardly noticeable; he's actually got a rather feminine form.
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 01:46:25 AM »
My fursona just discovered something about himself that even I didn't know.
He's part crow and has wings.
  • Avatar by: I have three or four great ones: one by Sabah and a few by Lovableoutcast/Kishi... and also this one, drawn by Kayato/ Kaya... thanks guys. ^_^
  • Signature art by: I just want to tell you, the reference is a link to my other fursona.  Also: http://www.sanger.dk/
(I love my sister) http://www.zark.com http://www.zark.com/pages2/az66/az66b.html

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
  • Species: Herbivorous Lion
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 06:49:21 PM »
when i was 15 i started creating this lion character in my head. didn't decide on any colours or anything, but i was fairly certain that i wanted to define myself as a lion from that point on.

then a friend drew me for the first time as a present. unfortunately the picture isn't anywhere online so i cannot share it, but it was where my slightly off-the-wall colour scheme came from originally. after that i got 2 or 3 more pictures in varying situations before i started mucking about in photoshop. i was beginning to feel like something was missing, trying to make my sona seem like a little something more than just a lion with ever so slightly odd colours.

i actually don't remember where i got the black circles around the eyes from apart from in photoshop, but there they stayed. it's not a drastic change, but it's subtlety is what i like most about it. some of the other changes i contemplated were changing the colour scheme all together to a navy blue body and turquoise mane (because i had turquoise hair at the time), but i felt a little too attached to the dusty colours i had.

a little while later i was looking at a rothko painting and decided that a third colour was needed... olive green;

it's only at the very very top of the picture, but i think those two colours blend absolutely beautifully. so i started requesting alive green clothes for my character.

cest tu!
The further on I go, all the less i know.
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline Xash5621

• Avid Aardvark
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: "pup" (unknown really. probably a kangaroo)
  • Coloring: I redesign him a lot. I'm a perfectionist.
  • Height: Around 5'6" but he can sometimes be seen as a cub.
  • Weight: 61kgs
  • Build: fit/girly
  • Currently: Sleepy~
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
i havent XD hes always changing

i like the letter X  :3

Xash (well right now) has brown fur with dyed tips  :P

no matter what he always has a star marking on his left buttcheek. he also always has some kind of heterochromia

much different. hes much more hyper and playful. im more calm and relaxed

nope. he doesnt have one :P

most of the same interests. he has all the same kinky fantasies and stuff. he has heaps of flaws personality wise but physically hes what i wanna look like

Offline Karma Moonshadow

• Chatty Cheetah
  • The blood of the wicked is my life support.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Pure white
  • Height: 5' 9"
  • Weight: Light
  • Build: Lithe and wiry
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 10:25:19 PM »
I've always had a connection with cats, and I've always dreamed of flying. When I was little, large winged felines often showed up in the stories I wrote. So I settled on a feline/gryphon mix.

Not really. The name Aurelis was something I made up, but the shorter nickname Aura, although taken from the name, suits me well because I've always been fascinated by the unknown and things that can't be seen.

The colors I used are all my favorite colors combined, odd ones you don't see very much - deep royal cobalt and turquoise green - and black, as darkness is comforting to me.

A turquoise stripe that runs the length of her neck and forms an eyeliner shaped mask around her eyes. I just thought it looked cool.

It matches my inner personality, that is, the side of me I usually don't show.

She was in an accident and lost all memory of her past or who she was. I think this symbolizes my desire to start a new life and wipe away my own past.

She is the idealized version of me. She shares my interests, mainly the ones I have to hide in real life, but she isn't afraid to hide them. In fact, she isn't afraid of much anything at all. She is everything I would like to be if I was free to be my true self.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:27:56 PM by Aurelis Ornitier »
...So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean, if I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be?

- Disturbed, "Divide"

Offline ZombiezuRFER

• Dancing Dragon
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
  • Coloring: Grey, red, rust red, light blue, yellow eyes, black claws
  • Height: 9 ft 9 in
  • Weight: 360 lbs
  • Build: Tall, strong, and lean
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 04:24:09 PM »
Spinosaurus aegyptiacus is both my favorite dinosaur and the animal I feel represents me best.  It's also the subject of my transhuman project in the future.

Specifically, Zaktan was a name for the Emperor of the SAGO Empire from a novel I'm writing.  I thought it was really cool. (I LIKE THE LETTER Z)

I stuck with colors I thought a Spinosaurus could be naturally.

The blue tint stripes on my sail.  Why that is is just because that's the way my sail looks for mating.

My fursona or scalesona or whatever has my personality as my 'sona is just me.

My fursona's backstory will just be my lifestory if i accomplish my transhumanist objectives.

My Fursona isn't an ideal version of me.  I don't partake in marty studom, like I suspect many females don't partake in mary suedom.

= Special Operations =

Et tu, Human?
De oculo mentis, servire se optimum est.

Offline Cifero Windtail

• Velvety Vole
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 04:45:30 AM »
Wait, there's an organization sheet? Didn't know that!

Post Merge: October 16, 2011, 05:02:21 AM
I really like the Warriors series, so I had to be a cat
If you switch the "I" and "E" in my name, it's the spanish word for "Zephyr". The Windtail part was out of my imagination, because it matched my first name.
My colors are based on the same colors of my idol, Jayfeather from the Warriors series. He's a blind medicine cat who can walk in people's dreams.
A metal scar over my left eye. I decided to add my own creativity.
 and he found out that he has wings... which I didn't even know.
It's similar... but at the same time, kinda different.
Heck yes.
We definitely share similar interests. He's kind of like me... but just the more gallant side.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 05:02:21 AM by Cifero Windtail, Reason: Merged DoublePost »