The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: To be human....  (Read 1554 times)

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 5.11 ft
  • Weight: 165 pounds
  • Build: medium
  • Currently: beeing playfull
To be human....
« on: October 12, 2011, 03:59:45 AM »
open philosophical dissection. what is it to be human ?( please keep in mind the rules for the forums as i don't want this to be moved to the adult area.)
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline Sigcutio

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Your friendly neighborhood sea otter!
    • Awards
  • Species: Sea Otter
  • Currently: Otternizing
Re: To be human....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 06:04:50 AM »

Interesting question! To be human is to be in the unique state of understanding one is human in the first place and that one can think in abstract terms beyond what is concrete. I believe Hamlet sums it up nicely when he says, "What a piece of work is man..."
  • Avatar by: Courtesy Fuzzymutt! Thank you very much ^^
  • Signature art by: Grisly! Thanks again! :D

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 5.11 ft
  • Weight: 165 pounds
  • Build: medium
  • Currently: beeing playfull
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 05:08:38 PM »
some people have said it is to be self a where but what is self a where? is it mealy just knowing who we are , but how dose one define what one is, through ones actions , clutter , beliefs ? or is it that we know where we are and that where alive. or is it free will as to decide on what we want to do and what not or to know the differences betwen right and wrong? or is to be human just to be classified as Homo Spain Spain ? or our ability to assess and understand any sutiantion and to understand the poetical out come ?
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 05:14:25 PM »
I think you're confusing "human" with "sentient."

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 06:03:37 PM »
Animals are mostly impulsive and follow instinct, but they still have a level of 'sentient' to them...Humans, by definition are: a bipedal primate mammal of the genus Homo.

So if you look at it that way, humans are monkeys that walk on two legs. But over time human has become so much more because we take 'sentient' to a whole other level. We don't just learn over one of our lifetimes. The whole human species learns as a whole, over time, and changes. Is this evolution or a human only trait? I'm not sure. But our ability to remember, create, think, and develop in full is much broader a trait than the same thing in any other animal.

To be human, you must be born from a human and posses human traits. Thinking like a human is optional (think of those who are brain dead...they are still human).

The real question is: are humans any more special than the animals around them?
x

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 06:16:50 PM »
humans are sentient, animals are (to a point) partially sentient, but the difference is that we react less to our more instinctual motivations, which is what allowed humans to be the superior species in the first place.
If you want beef then bring the ruckus