The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: when your parents make your decisions for you :/  (Read 391 times)

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
when your parents make your decisions for you :/
« on: August 18, 2011, 03:37:36 AM »
I turn 18 years old in March. That means that I need to start taking responsibility and making life decisions for myself, right? I've seen other people younger than me who are allowed to make their own decisions about their life, but not me.

Throughout my teenage years, when I'm trying to take control of my own life and learn to be a responsible adult my parents always step in and make my decisions for me. Their rationale is that I always make "bad decisions" on my own and they need to do it for me even though I've never been able to actually make a decision on my own.

An example is today, when I received my class schedule for this year of high school. In my school we are allowed to make our own schedule but I had no choice but to join a math class taught by someone that my mother has a personal vendetta against (I'm not fond of this teacher but I really couldn't care less). When my mom saw that I was in that woman's class she instantly screamed at me to change my schedule because I had made a "bad decision". When I informed her that changing my schedule at this point was impossible (school starts on Monday!) she said that she was going to "make my decisions for me" so now she's emailing my school counselor to complain and she might make an angry call to the school :/
Why can't I have my own life for once??
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline Sij

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Probably the coolest fox ever.
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: White fur
  • Height: 5 Feet 11 Inches
  • Weight: 155 pounds
  • Build: In very good physical shape, lots of muscle, but it's lean and not bulky at all.
  • Currently: Glad to be back in the US of A. :)
Re: when your parents make your decisions for you :/
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 04:14:50 AM »
From personal experience I've noticed that a lot of times, parents are too obsessed with controlling their children and keeping them out of bad stuff that they forget that they're people. Maybe try and talk things out. Or just flip out and show them that this is really serious to you. I don't prefer the ladder, but sometimes parents react better to that and realize that it IS serious. Unless you flip out a lot. Then it won't have the same effect. Another option would be to completely disregard what she says. Living with irrational parents is really difficult. Especially when they have the power. Sometimes the parents need to grow up moreso than their own kids.
Die the same way you were born, screaming and bathed in blood.
Who and what are simple questions, but why, will always make people cower. - My friend Eamon
The ones going into battle expecting the worst, are also prepared for the worst. - Me
Is the glass half empty or half full? If empty, you can still drink out of a half empty cup. - Me
Don't be stupid. - Me

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 04:16:25 AM »
usually I'm quiet and reserved but I did flip out a bit tonight after trying to calmly talk my way out of that....boy did that not go over well >.>

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 5.11 ft
  • Weight: 165 pounds
  • Build: medium
  • Currently: beeing playfull
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 08:00:01 PM »
Kanga it might not seem  like it but your mom seems to really care about what happens. She just might be over doing it, t ell her you want to handle this on your own.
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 01:07:59 AM »
Wow. That's....in my opinion....really stupid. Even if your mom doesn't like this person, if you have to have the class, then you have to have the class. You need it to graduate! Your mom should be able to see past a personal vendetta  to allow you to take one simple class so that you can graduate. It isn't like you have to talk to the teacher all the time or hang out with her! All you have to do is show up and do your homework.

If it were me I'd tell my mom that she's being bogus. But, uh, I'm pretty outspoken though ^_^; maybe you can try a less harsh approach and get her to understand. or even better, ignore her. I do believe that she should have little control over the classes you take, she can't make you switch.
x

Offline ArcticSkyWolf

• Foxy Fox
  • ArticSkyWolf is here to be awesome!
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue almost everywhere
  • Build: strong and awesome
  • Currently: Gaming some gamez
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 05:35:30 PM »
have you pointed out that you have no choice but to go into her math class in the first place?

• Unique Unicorn
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 01:37:33 AM »
so I'm taking the class now and it isn't so bad, but my parents are criticizing her teaching methods and such o.O I guess this is a battle I'll never win

Offline ArcticSkyWolf

• Foxy Fox
  • ArticSkyWolf is here to be awesome!
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue almost everywhere
  • Build: strong and awesome
  • Currently: Gaming some gamez
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 06:16:44 PM »
what are your parents critizising the teacher for? What kind of teaching methods?

Offline Neo

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 10:32:50 AM »
Wow, that sucks, you should be able to make SOME of your own choices at that age.