Author Topic: How big is your...music collection?  (Read 3194 times)

Offline MiltoniusPrime

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Bat/snake hybrid.
  • Coloring: Mostly skin, occasionally tan fur.
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 155 lbs.
  • Build: Thin but athletic.
How big is your...music collection?
« on: August 17, 2011, 04:30:20 PM »
I'm quite comfortably in the 20,000+ category.  I voraciously consume new music, and love finding new artists/bands to enjoy.  I've been called a hipster for having "obscure" or "weird" tastes, but love accessible/"mainstream" music just as much as lesser known groups.  I love going out to shows, especially for bands I already enjoy, and especially in smaller venues where I can get up close to the stage.

No shame in having less of a collection, some people are just happier having only the things they really want to listen to.  Less clutter and less feeling of "I really don't listen to this song often, don't know why I have it".  I just happen to like having full albums and a good chance of hearing something I've never heard before while the songs are randomized.

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
    • Awards
Re: How big is your...music collection?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 04:38:39 PM »
316 songs. Theres some albums I want to add but theres some songs I want to delete as well. if I dont listen to it, why have it?

Offline MiltoniusPrime

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »
if I dont listen to it, why have it?

Makes perfect sense to me.  I just like that feeling of "If I like some of the singles, there could be some other gems on the album as well".  And it's often quite true.

Offline NJMike

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
  • Species: Crux
  • Coloring: Black and gray
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 150 lbs.
  • Build: Athletic/toned, very flexible.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:52:13 PM »
I just broke the 1,000 mark recently; 1,049 songs at the moment.

[removed]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:00:20 PM by WingedZephyr, Reason: Do not discuss illegal activities on the forum »
  • Signature art by: Puncia

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
  • Species: Herbivorous Lion
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:32:33 PM »
-calculating-

my music library has been continually growing for the past 5 years on my external HD, with occasional harvests of things i'm either; a . too ashamed to have, b . too snobby to have or c . never ever listened to with no intentions of ever doing so. i'm like you miltoniusprime... i like to have a whole album because i listen to albums in sequence.

it comes to 14,622. i was actually expecting much much more than that, but never mind. it comes to a grand total of 127.57GB.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:34:39 PM by josh_down »
The further on I go, all the less i know.
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline NJMike

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
  • Species: Crux
  • Coloring: Black and gray
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 150 lbs.
  • Build: Athletic/toned, very flexible.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:56:57 PM »
if I dont listen to it, why have it?

Makes perfect sense to me.  I just like that feeling of "If I like some of the singles, there could be some other gems on the album as well".  And it's often quite true.

Yeah that's the same thing with me.
  • Signature art by: Puncia

Offline MiltoniusPrime

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 10:06:12 PM »
Eventually I need to upgrade my external.  I was using a 250GB as my primary music drive, but since my internal is bigger than that, I'm just putting zipped versions of all my music on there, in case something happens to the internal.  I have a bit less than 50GB left on it.

I'm hoping to run a panel at next year's Anthrocon, which would basically be me playing music that not many people have heard.  Kind of a non-dance, a place for people to relax and get away from the dances and craziness, and discover new music.  Not sure how well that will turn out, but I love turning people on to new music.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:32:11 AM by MiltoniusPrime »

Offline Midnight Madness

• Lucifer 2.0 (Doggo Edition)
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 10 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • Absolutely adorable.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycanroc
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 175 lbs.
  • Build: Very well toned, intimidating despite his average height.
  • Currently: Guess who.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 06:38:31 AM »
Well, I'd say definitively between 500 and 1000. My Youtube has 850+ favorites on it, the vast majority being music, and I have found a ton more music that I can add; it has the potential to expand beyond that in less than a month. I limit myself to about 500 songs on my MP3 (seeing as it's only a 4 gig). But some songs are only on my MP3, while still others are only on Youtube.

Either way, I have a mid-sized collection in contrast to some kids, but in comparison to my little brother and some of my friends, my MP3 is a wonder. I have had my Youtube favorites called the ultimate playlist of Rock and Techno by a few people; I have artists like Renard, Mayhem, DJ Splash, Amorphis, Disturbed, Marilyn Manson, The Prodigy, System of a Down and even Cascada. I never get bored of the music I have, and I avoid specific loops with by just closing my eyes and choosing a song to listen to.

So, my music collection is not only rather expansive, it's also diverse despite being defined easily by two main genres.

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
Eventually I need to upgrade my external.  I was using a 250GB as my primary music drive, but since my internal is bigger than that, I'm just putting zipped versions of all my music on there, in case something happens to the internal.  I have a bit less than 50GB left on it.

I'm hoping to run a panel at next year's Anthrocon, which would basically be me playing music that not many people have heard.  Kind of a non-dance, a place for people to relax and get away from the dances and craziness, and discover new music.  Not sure how well that will turn out, but I love turning people on to new music.

most of my mp3 collection are CD rips or vinyl recordings, so i can re-rip/rerecord most of them. but i probably should make a back-up of all the things i want to keep that aren't from either of these sources. -sigh- it is a lot of effort though
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline Kyriin

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 10:07:36 AM »
I has 1,129 songs currently in my library, and according to winamp, that's 3days and ~19 hours worth. X3

Offline .: ♥ Kiniia ♥ :.

• Pony and Coffee Lover
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • yes yes i would like a coffee pls.
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: White fur and blonde hair with very light cyan
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 110
  • Build: Slight and weak
  • Currently: thingken of goign fast... ;~;
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 03:31:14 PM »
I only have 44 songs in my library as I recently got a new computer and I cant gather up the willpower to get more

I hope you will remember me, At least say so to comfort me, You say goodbye so easily, Its now or never, It may seem really pitiful, But life became too beautiful, The pain of love unbearable, It's now or never, Gone Forever.

Offline MiltoniusPrime

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 04:18:20 PM »
I has 1,129 songs currently in my library, and according to winamp, that's 3days and ~19 hours worth. X3

I never thought to see how many days' worth of music I had.  I decided to throw all my music onto a playlist to see how long it would be, and after my Zune software stopped locking up, it told me I had 2525 hours (105.25 days of continuous music).

Offline MiltoniusPrime

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 06:29:36 PM »
Currently on my iTunes I have 1214 songs, but there are many CDs of old which I have not yet bothered to rip into my digital library yet.

I still have a large collection of CDs, a few hundred between ones I've gotten at shows, conventions, ordered from bands I support online, or just had throughout the years.  Not counting the multitude I've bought at yard sales and flea markets.

I like CDs for having something physical representing how much you like something, but they take up a lot of space.

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 12:02:14 AM »
Currently on my iTunes I have 1214 songs, but there are many CDs of old which I have not yet bothered to rip into my digital library yet.

I still have a large collection of CDs, a few hundred between ones I've gotten at shows, conventions, ordered from bands I support online, or just had throughout the years.  Not counting the multitude I've bought at yard sales and flea markets.

I like CDs for having something physical representing how much you like something, but they take up a lot of space.

you think cds take up a lot of space??

when my dad dies, i get his vinyl collection (seeing as i'm a musician by profession). his collection is cataclysmic. he has original pressings of some of the very best free jazz records from back in the 60s and 70s! unfortunately he wasn't into the beatles, so there are no billion dollar collectables in there. but he was into coltrane and miles davis. it takes up so much space i'm going to need an entire room spare to keep it in, such as the way my dad does so now. it's so heavy it took two people 12 trips to move all of it from one room to another.

be thankful you live in the 21st century where you can carry just as much music around on a teeny tiny little memory card. of course, it being completely made up of 0s and 1s, it'll never sound as good as a round black disc. or at least it won't if you're a complete and total snob (which i'm not)
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline Alexei

• Crafty Canadian
  • Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • To the moon
  • Species: Cheetah Fox!
  • Height: 180 cm
  • Weight: 66 kg
  • Build: Relatively Lean
  • Currently: Collecting the pieces of my life and putting them back together.
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 12:55:28 AM »
Well, since I like every possible genre you can throw at me I have an extensive collection of around 16,000+
  • Signature art by: The Black Keys

I must admit
I can't explain
Any of these thoughts racing
Through my brain