The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Therian Physical Quirks  (Read 12659 times)

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Winged Siberian Tiger
  • Coloring: White fur with black stripes, sapphire blue eyes, black wings
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 185 lbs.
  • Build: Tall with lean muscles.
Therian Physical Quirks
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:46:44 PM »
It's funny how things can be such a fact of life for us that we don't even think they're significant after awhile.

Reading some of the posts in this section of TFF has really brought a lot of stuff up for me, and just last night, two things flashed back up from my memory and I wanted to know what people thought and if anyone has had any similar experiences, or if they have some physical quirks of their own. By that, I mean certain movements or physical reactions. Senses count as well. (Warning: Wall of text to follow  :P)

For me, the two big things I remembered were the fact that since I was a child, I would climb stairs on all fours. And ironically enough, this started AFTER I was grown enough to walk and run up them "normally". I still do it to this day. It just feels natural to me. I almost had a really embarrassing experience in high school because of this.  :$  The school I went to had three floors with very large staircases, and one day I had the very powerful urge to crouch down on all fours and climb up the stairs that way, even though I was tall enough to walk up them two at a time. I stopped myself from actually doing it, and every now and again, that desire would pop up again.

The second thing has also been with me since childhood. You know how kittens, and cats in general, will curl in on themselves and go rigid when you pinch the back of their neck? I do the same thing. It was really bad in middle school because a former friend of mine told that fact to a group of bullies who'd been harassing me. So for months, they would come up behind me and grab/pinch the back of my neck. Every time it happened, it was like a jolt of electricity shot down my spine and effectively paralyze me. My arms would curl in and lock up, my legs would buckle and lock up, and even my jaw would lock open as a tried and failed to cry out. Understandably, whenever they did this to me while I was standing or walking, it would drop me to the floor like a brick, and it would take me almost a full two minutes to recover and get back on my feet.

One day during PE, one of these bullies came up behind me while we were running on the track and did this. I almost did a backflip because of it. I landed flat on my back, but this time adrenaline came to the rescue. The paralytic effect of this wore off almost immediately and I jumped back to my feet and sprinted after this guy. When I caught him, I kicked his legs out from under him and sent him face first into the track. Needless to say, he stopped messing with my neck after that. B)

I've mentioned in another post that my hearing has been abnormally sensitive my whole life, but I've got one story I really want to share about that. High school also. I was waiting for the bus with a group of my friends, who all knew my hearing was sensetive, and this motorcycle stops at the red light next to our bus stop. I don't think anything of it at first, seeing as my dad had one and my ears could at least tolerate it. Then the light turns green and this motorcycle takes off. I don't know what the deal was, but the explosion of sound that followed its acceleration was so painfully loud that I collapsed! Not stumble, not fall to my knees. I dropped straight to the ground and into the fetal position with my hands clapped so tightly to my ears that my friends couldn't pull them off. I don't know how long I was down like that, but it was a while because at least two of my friends missed their bus to stay and make sure I was okay. They had no idea my ears were that sensitive.

So yeah, those are my big physical quirks and the stories they've caused. Anyone have any of their own to share?
"Avenged Drunkenfold, Disdrunked, and Drunken Force!" - Mike Wengren, drummer for Disturbed.

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
Re: Therian Physical Quirks
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 09:50:23 PM »
I would like it to be reminded that being therian is not based on physical qualities, therian beliefs are primarily based upon spiritual feelings and/or qualities that could influence physical activities to be caused as a result, this explanation perhaps being one of them. Sounds interesting, though remember to decide what you feel you are is ultimately up to you rawr.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:58:45 PM »
Yeah, I know therian is more spiritual based. I was just wondering if anyone else here had stories/experiences similar to mine.
"Avenged Drunkenfold, Disdrunked, and Drunken Force!" - Mike Wengren, drummer for Disturbed.

Offline Not in Use

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 06:53:37 AM »
Just from reading this a few things come to mind:

1)
When I'm not wearing shoes i always walk as if my legs are digitigrade, Apparently I have done this all my life, my parents think its because when I was a child we lived in a house with cold tiles, My brother did the same thing but he stopped as soon as we moved and I have continued to do so even to this day.

2)
When I'm board I get an urge to walk around on all fours, Some of my friends have seen me but I don't mind. I have walk up stairs on all fours randomly once, My friend and I were walking to my house and when we got to the steps I suddenly started to walk on all fours, My friend was like  :o.

This apparent also happens when I get really angry as well, Recently one of the school bullies was harassing my friend, at first I asked him to stop but then he ditched a piece of bark at my face, I dodged it then threw the sandwich i was eating at him, it hit him square in the face, He grabbed the sandwich and rubbed it in my face. I cant remember exactly what happened but according to the people watching I growled got down on all fours and pounced at him. This ended with me getting beaten up, But I haven't been bullied since  :/.

I got called a freak in Primary school but as of yet no-one at high-school has said anything.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:04:05 PM by SilentHunter »

Offline Drago Strega

• Boisterous Bear
  • Hear me and my mighty ROAR!
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Clear/Silverish-white
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 04:34:07 PM »
I walk on my toes, I growl and show my teeth when I get aggravated, I roar when I'm enraged, and I purr when my head and neck are caressed especially around my ears. And that thing with the back of the neck happens to me too, cuz my mom did that a lot to me to keep me from moving. She found it fun, I didn't so much and good thing nobody would try that with me cuz I'd throw them into the ground quicker then they could gain grip in their weak fingers. I was very good and showing my teeth when I was young, so nobody would even consider bothering me. :/ Don't know if that counts.
I am that I am, even if only for a moment. And I will always try despite my flaws to summon what I can to become better than what I was.

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 04:40:11 PM »
I walk on my toes, I growl and show my teeth when I get aggravated, I roar when I'm enraged, and I purr when my head and neck are caressed especially around my ears. And that thing with the back of the neck happens to me too, cuz my mom did that a lot to me to keep me from moving. She found it fun, I didn't so much and good thing nobody would try that with me cuz I'd throw them into the ground quicker then they could gain grip in their weak fingers. I was very good and showing my teeth when I was young, so nobody would even consider bothering me. :/ Don't know if that counts.

Glad to know I'm not the only one with that funny little neck quirk. :)

Offline Drago Strega

• Boisterous Bear
  • Hear me and my mighty ROAR!
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Clear/Silverish-white
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 08:09:54 PM »
I've just remembered I also tend to hiss, click, and whistle too now that I think about it... so making strange sounds is mainly my special quirk.  o.O
I am that I am, even if only for a moment. And I will always try despite my flaws to summon what I can to become better than what I was.

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 10:43:53 AM »
To this day, I will still growl/hiss at whatever character in movies/video games/books that irritates or angers me. I don't have the will or desire to hold myself back in those situations.

Offline Zae

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 05:39:18 AM »
I make a growling noise in the back of my throat when I'm annoyed. And when answering people I (This annoys my parents) make a "Grunt-like" noise, similar to that of the growl I make in the back of my thoat. It varries in pitch and length depending on what it means. Ex: A short higher pitched 'grunt' can be equivilant to say, shrugging ones shoulders. I have alot of combinations that mean different things, I don't feel like listing them xD I make these 'grunting' noises all the time, same with the growling.

Offline Kittie

• Boisterous Bear
  • I'm a daydreamer making dreams real
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Pegasus
  • Coloring: Silver dapple also known as Chocolate
  • Height: 14hh or 4 feet 8 inches
  • Weight: It's rude to ask a lady how much she weighs LOL
  • Build: Pony like, a little stocky
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 07:23:43 PM »
The more I read about it the more I feel normal lol...I instinctively would growl, hiss, and howl when I would feel strong emotions. I also walked up stairs on all fours and sometimes when running or walking I would use my arms more like front legs that were sweeping out in front of me and grabbing the ground with my "claws". I've also jumped up on my bed using my front end like a cat. I feel much more connected to my inner self when these actions take hold so I think that a lot of the desires and reactions are the inner animal spirit coming out. But that's just a theory  :/ I often wonder does anyone else feel the need to avoid "human" interaction when exploring their "territory"? I often leave the house to run and explore the wooded area behind my house and if I think a person is in my area I'll freeze and get low like an animal trying to blend in...this happens automatically like a heightened fight or flight.   
  • Avatar by: Art by Greyflower on DA, me and Blossom on EV
The one, the only... chocolate colored Pegasus!

Offline Zae

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 08:12:11 PM »
I often wonder does anyone else feel the need to avoid "human" interaction when exploring their "territory"? I often leave the house to run and explore the wooded area behind my house and if I think a person is in my area I'll freeze and get low like an animal trying to blend in...this happens automatically like a heightened fight or flight.   

I've had this happen before when exploring the woods outback my house, or when exploring the woods/less popular areas at my campground. I freeze when I hear noise also, Kinda like a deer would I suppose, then I usually scan the area for awhile before continuing on.

I've also jumped up on my bed using my front end like a cat.

I do that all the time ;)

Offline Black-Horse

• Eager Elephant
  • shutting down everything, leaving forums
    • Awards
  • Species: horse
  • Currently: shocked, angry, go away
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 11:01:13 PM »
You have a rare gift white tiger.. u should be proud for what instinct u have compared to a feline.. im also glad im not alone.. but my animal condition is a far more proovin aspect throughout mental, physical ways.. [removed]

My family have been around horses for decades.. mabye centrys. and my father told me my mother was horse typical.. i havnt seen my father since 5 years ago.. ive been seperated from him for a whole 9 years.. that image stayed in my head.. ive been more socail to the horses than people.. i didnt like people.. the physical condition is the digesting and nuetrition system.. I have a stomach that wont stop growling.. I can eat as much possible but i cant even grow a pinch of fat nearly anywhere visable.. now the mental condition is yet connected to nerv.. reaction, [removed]. the nerv is a simularity to a horse, it takes a harder pinch to hurt.. and an easy scratch for saticfaction.. or the palm of some1s hand running down my neck.. [removed] the coincidences of all this remain a mystery :( but ive had a few suggestions for it.. 1 and the 1 ive researched involving acient religouns and conected all around the world.. haunted my mother before she was pregnant.. she had ufo and paranormal encounters in her childhood.. scary huh? another is just simply me haloosinating but either way.. its always been with me.. and always will..
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 08:27:44 AM by WingedZephyr, Reason: Inappropriate content »
.            .(¯'•(¯'•             _/)/) 
               (¯'•.(¯'•       ((      ((
                (¯`'•(¯'•   (( )  (  ‘ /)
                 (¯`'•.(¯'(( )    |\_/
     ,,,~”¯¯¯`'¯(_¸´(_ )     |
   ((( /                             )__
  (((( \      ),,             (     /__`\
  ))))  \    //¯¯¯¯¯¯¯' \    /     / /
 (((     /  //                 |  /     \/
 )))     | ||                .| |           ♥♥♥
((        ) \\                 ) \           \|/
.^^^^.""'"'.^^^^^^^..""".^^^^.""""

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 12:42:08 AM »
I've never really thought of it as a gift before, Horse Furry1. What makes you call it that?  :?

Offline Black-Horse

• Eager Elephant
  • shutting down everything, leaving forums
    • Awards
  • Species: horse
  • Currently: shocked, angry, go away
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 10:45:16 PM »
it defines us of who we are.. different from every1 else.. being different is a good thing.. we are what they call special.. be proud of this, mabye in the spirit u are what u feel more like..
.            .(¯'•(¯'•             _/)/) 
               (¯'•.(¯'•       ((      ((
                (¯`'•(¯'•   (( )  (  ‘ /)
                 (¯`'•.(¯'(( )    |\_/
     ,,,~”¯¯¯`'¯(_¸´(_ )     |
   ((( /                             )__
  (((( \      ),,             (     /__`\
  ))))  \    //¯¯¯¯¯¯¯' \    /     / /
 (((     /  //                 |  /     \/
 )))     | ||                .| |           ♥♥♥
((        ) \\                 ) \           \|/
.^^^^.""'"'.^^^^^^^..""".^^^^.""""

Offline Alicia-Korean-Soviet

• The Korean Dragon
  • Boisterous Bear
  • I demand a Korean Caramelldansen. >:U
  • Species: dragon/peacock/leopard hybrid
  • Coloring: Royal blue, silver, sky blue, and green. Mostly peacock colors.
  • Height: 4'5" (on fours) 7'5" (rearing)
  • Weight: 215 lbs.
  • Build: Slender, yet strong.
  • Currently: Glad to be back!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 08:02:25 PM »
1. I tend to walk on my toes
2. When I'm angered/annoyed, I growl and swipe at people as if I have claws.
3. At times I believe I have a tail.
4. I nuzzle people instead of hugging.

If you look closely at my 3rd stamp, Churchill has a Kricketot, Roosevelt has a Chimchar, and Stalin has a Happiny. :D

Clearing things up: I'm not living in N. Korea currently. My parents (miraculously) escaped there and came to the US from South Korea. So I'm a miracle-worker I guess. XD I luv my parents. They be awesome.

"And along came Alicia" - my brother