The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: why should telling others that you're furry be so hard/necessary?  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Self-sain

• The Unlikely Love
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • black and white isn't to bad
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Foat (Bat/Fox)
  • Coloring: purpule
  • Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 112
  • Build: thin some tone
  • Currently: Done with everything
Re: why should telling others that you're furry be so hard/necessary?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 09:48:24 PM »
People will laugh at you because of the color of your hair, the size of your feet, to what you eat. People are stupid, either you have to suck it up, or let them win.
if you ever want to see Lil Johny again...
YOU WILL LOOK D:<

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 5.11 ft
  • Weight: 165 pounds
  • Build: medium
  • Currently: beeing playfull
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 02:41:58 AM »
just dont feed the trolls lol
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Winged Siberian Tiger
  • Coloring: White fur with black stripes, sapphire blue eyes, black wings
  • Height: 6'2&quot;
  • Weight: 185 lbs.
  • Build: Tall with lean muscles.
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Short version: Because when the average person hears "furry" they either think of the sexual aspect of the fandom, or those who the media has labeled freaks because they actually feel they're more animal than human. That's why admitting your a furry feels akin to admitting you're gay.

Currently, the only person in my non internet life who knows I'm a furry is my gf, and she's wonderfully cool with it. I suspect she's at least slightly furry herself, though I highly doubt she'd call herself one. Besides her, there's only one other person who knows me by name that knows I'm a furry. I know my family, at best, wouldn't understand it, and I know one uncle who wouldn't accept it. He's called them freaks once before in my presence and I had to remind myself that he didn't know he was also talking about me. First time I've ever had to truly force myself to laugh along with someone.
"Avenged Drunkenfold, Disdrunked, and Drunken Force!" - Mike Wengren, drummer for Disturbed.

Offline Self-sain

• The Unlikely Love
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • black and white isn't to bad
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Foat (Bat/Fox)
  • Coloring: purpule
  • Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 112
  • Build: thin some tone
  • Currently: Done with everything
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 10:41:43 AM »
Wouldn't laughing along further condom the trolling? Just because someone isn't gay (or out) does not mean that they can not stand up for what is morally right.
if you ever want to see Lil Johny again...
YOU WILL LOOK D:<

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 10:48:25 AM »
Wouldn't laughing along further condom the trolling? Just because someone isn't gay (or out) does not mean that they can not stand up for what is morally right.

Yeah, it was just such a spontaneous thing that I didn't have any sort of defense planned. It was about that 1000 Ways to Die story. Being an author, I am much better with the written word than the spoken word.
"Avenged Drunkenfold, Disdrunked, and Drunken Force!" - Mike Wengren, drummer for Disturbed.

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 09:58:20 PM »
theres also a csi and a my strange addiction that make the fandom look bad ... here no one cares that iam a furry or they are open minded .guess iam one of the " luck ones" that can say iam a furry and no one cares ... cant where my collar thought ( want to where it out in public rather then just when no one is around)

Post Merge: January 31, 2011, 09:59:11 PM

Yeah, it was just such a spontaneous thing that I didn't have any sort of defense planned. It was about that 1000 Ways to Die story. Being an author, I am much better with the written word than the spoken word.

did you try telling him that's not what the fandom is about ?
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 01:57:40 AM »
No.  :( I know I should have in hindsight, but I just wasn't ready to bring it up.

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 05:10:17 AM »
oh just say beeing a furry means

1 you like anthro
2 you have a fursona
3 you call your self a furry
4 you accept people for who they are and are open minded

( those 4 things make you a furry)
shadow hide you   

[/size]

^ furry code

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 05:16:56 AM »
Well, I certainly know that if the subject comes  up again, I'll be ready to deal with it and defend the fandom. :)

Offline Tatter

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • My Site (Author)
    • Awards
  • Species: Lion
  • Coloring: yellow fur with red/orange markings around his eyes (like eye shadow) and like wise colored mane.
  • Height: apx 6'2 bipedal, normal sized quad
  • Weight: apx 175 pipedal, normal for lions quad
  • Build: bipedal he's lanky with a little muscle build from just working, simular quad
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 02:09:36 PM »
i don't beleive its necesarry myself

depending on how hardcore your fandom is there might be no reason, i mean if your just a fan of the shows and art but not one who loves to act or dress like one, then whats the point

however, if you are the latter hiding it like some little dirty secret makes it and you look bad

there are already too many people who think this is some kind of big fetish where all we do is getogether in groups with our suits and start yiffing!

I say the best policy is to be out and open with it, treat it as nothing mroe than a ravid fandom, thusly be out about and proud like a true rabid fan, and one day the stereotype will hopefully be put to the grave.
You may break my spirit, my heart, and my body, but you will never break my pride.
Texas Furries unite!
http://texasfurries.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 01:48:21 AM »
few few furrys have fur suits( those are the ones that consider it a life style), i don't cant afford one. the fandom is a hobby for me and most furrys about 90%.
shadow hide you   

[/size]

^ furry code

Offline Villain

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Species: Magpie/humanoid mix
  • Coloring: Black and White
  • Height: 5''3'
  • Build: Slender
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 02:09:39 AM »
   I think its terrible that people get laughed at or treated negatively for anything, so its annoying when people are cruel to furs-- when in actual fact, they never even hurt anyone 95% of the time!! And its funny, because I always feel more comfortable being around people like furs because they're very accepting of everything.
   Furries have a lot of reasons to hate the general public and they just don't. So... I find that wonderful. I'm a massive manga and anime fan (164 volumes of manga and counting), and i'm off to a con in august; and i saw the point on how otakus are more accepted nowadays, and I think that it'll get like that for furs one day too. Afterall, didn't people used to think gamers were creepy wierdos in the 80s? People don't like difference until its forced into their lives by the media and the economy...then everyone wants a slice.

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »
i agree with you... i have very few friends i know in rl and they are not furrys i would love to meet some in rl, i feel good when iam, on tff talking to other furrys. so thats why when i tell people iam furry, maybe they know some in rl.
shadow hide you   

[/size]

^ furry code

Offline Kaprika

• tottaly boss artist
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
    • DeviantArt
    • Deviantart
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf/snow leopard
  • Coloring: light blue, white and black
  • Height: 7 foot 5 inches
  • Weight: thin
  • Build: medium light
  • Currently: eh
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 08:12:05 PM »
the reason its hard it that its NOT the norm...and most people dont like abnormal, it makes them uncomfortable or they feel your weird..strange..
so when you tell someone that your a furry..your risking this person rejecting you..thats what makes it hard

as for the "coming out" aspect, its very necissary for alot of people..for some its not just a hobby..its a LIFESTYLE.
and just like being homosexual..you want to be able to be yourself around others..not have to pretend to be normal
and often LIKE coming out of the closet...it can be a shock to people..
ive known a person to come out to her family that she is a fur and they kicked her out..saying she was "not there daughter anymore" and that she was a filthy animal **censor**.
and that if she wants to act like an animal, she can go live in the woods like one.

it CAN be a scary thing for people, not everyon is accepting of this fandom..its about as popular with the masses as homosexuality if you think about it

<-------this ish me :3  

Shadow hide you..

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 10:07:56 PM »
i have it on my rl fb that iam a furry and no one says any thing . my friend is uncomfortable with it ... no one in the fandom thinks they are an animal. iam a thrian as well but thats different i fell like iam a wolf sole in a human body but i act human 
shadow hide you   

[/size]

^ furry code