The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Ruining the magic?  (Read 10562 times)

Offline Crash the dog

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Marf?
    • Crash's youtube channel
    • Awards
  • Species: Doggy!
  • Coloring: Black, grey, and white
Ruining the magic?
« on: September 21, 2010, 12:31:10 AM »
My boyfriend and I have been to every FC (Further Confusion) convention since our first in 2008. Each year, we've noticed that fursuiters care less and less about actually being, well, fursuiters! What I mean is, some suiters will go from completely mute and energetic to casually talkative and standing around. Or, at a dance, a suiter will be dancing and having fun, and then without any warning, they'll pop off their fursuit head and casually walk off the dance floor.

Marf, stuff like this has been more and more frequent each year at FC, and I'm willing to bet it's the same for other furry cons as well. When I'm fursuiting, I am extremely adamant about being a fun, entertaining doggy, and NOTHING stops me until I'm back in my hotel room. I don't even remove any parts of my fursuit in the "headless lounges" when I need a quick break (Though I don't fault suiters who do, it's called the headless lounge for a reason X3).

My boyfriend calls this "ruining the magic", because the act of removing your suit head or ceasing to entertain kind of reminds you that you're just looking at a person in a costume, rather than enjoying a big anthropomorphic animal doing fun/cool/goofy/cute things. It'd be like a magician doing a really cool trick for you, and then immediately showing you how he did it! It's "ruining the magic"!

So, we get miffed by this. Doesn't ruin our day, but it's just annoying =P Marf, what do you guys think?

Offline Gabag

• Replica Soldier Mk. VII
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Human (Replica Clone)
Re: Ruining the magic?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 01:33:46 AM »
My boyfriend and I have been to every FC (Further Confusion) convention since our first in 2008. Each year, we've noticed that fursuiters care less and less about actually being, well, fursuiters! What I mean is, some suiters will go from completely mute and energetic to casually talkative and standing around. Or, at a dance, a suiter will be dancing and having fun, and then without any warning, they'll pop off their fursuit head and casually walk off the dance floor.

Marf, stuff like this has been more and more frequent each year at FC, and I'm willing to bet it's the same for other furry cons as well. When I'm fursuiting, I am extremely adamant about being a fun, entertaining doggy, and NOTHING stops me until I'm back in my hotel room. I don't even remove any parts of my fursuit in the "headless lounges" when I need a quick break (Though I don't fault suiters who do, it's called the headless lounge for a reason X3).

My boyfriend calls this "ruining the magic", because the act of removing your suit head or ceasing to entertain kind of reminds you that you're just looking at a person in a costume, rather than enjoying a big anthropomorphic animal doing fun/cool/goofy/cute things. It'd be like a magician doing a really cool trick for you, and then immediately showing you how he did it! It's "ruining the magic"!

So, we get miffed by this. Doesn't ruin our day, but it's just annoying =P Marf, what do you guys think?

maybe the people who do this need an immediate break

gets hot in those things i bet

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 01:58:36 AM »
It's not like a person needs to be in their fursuit all the time. Sometimes people just need a break from being hot and sweaty and having muffled voices.
Also, I don't think people put on their suits to entertain others so you shouldn't expect them to always have it on just to entertain you. I'm pretty sure they wear their suits for themselves and not anybody else.

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline Crash the dog

• Avid Aardvark
  • Marf?
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 02:03:50 AM »
I don't think people put on their suits to entertain others so you shouldn't expect them to always have it on just to entertain you. I'm pretty sure they wear their suits for themselves and not anybody else.

You make a good point. I love to entertain and put myself out there, and my boyfriend's on the same wavelength as myself. I guess we've gotten into the habit of projecting our feelings onto other people, and then getting disappointed by it. Or at least that's a possibility =3

Offline Akula Filiko

• Eager Elephant
  • What're you looking at?
    • My deviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Blacktip Reef Shark
  • Coloring: Gray
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 190
  • Build: Kinda muscular
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 02:06:12 AM »
That is weird that people immediately take their heads off right in the middle of fursuiting, but maybe people get way too hot to wait for the headless lounge. I for one wait until I'm away from people to talk a mask off (regular costumes, not fursuit. Don't have one XD)

Offline Crash the dog

• Avid Aardvark
  • Marf?
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:00:57 PM »
Marf, I just had a thought. If some people only wanted to wear their fursuit for themselves and not for anybody else... Why would they bring it to a furry convention? They could save tons of money and just stay at their own home, right? Or if they had other reasons to go to the con, they could leave their suit at home, saving a lot of hassle involved with transporting it. I think if they bring it to a furry convention, they intend to show it to other people and get at least SOME attention from it.

So I guess that means that the main reason for "ruining the magic" is due to fatigue, probably. That's too bad... The headless lounges are there for just that purpose: To let you remove parts of your suit where other people can't see, and relax and cool off. There're even nice big fans in there X3

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:07:40 PM »
Personally I think some people might be shy as well or perhaps uncomfortable wearing it the entire time, get really hot in there or maybe you get a headache or itchy or something, I don't know I mean a break is nice as Gabag said :P
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 10:49:01 PM »
Is it possible they just don't know how fursuiters are "supposed" to act?

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Gabag

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 10:49:42 PM »
Maybe those fursuiters, like me have the sudden urge to go play laser tag

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 12:15:41 AM »
I might be the only one in here that thinks this, but I think a fursuiter should keep his anominity and mistique until in a headless lounge. I mean, if you can't take wearing a suit, then don't wear one.

Offline Crash the dog

• Avid Aardvark
  • Marf?
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 02:31:23 AM »
I might be the only one in here that thinks this, but I think a fursuiter should keep his anominity and mistique until in a headless lounge. I mean, if you can't take wearing a suit, then don't wear one.

Exactly. If you need a break, you go to your hotel room, or the headless lounge! Or if you're me, you keep all of your suit on, and just get some water in the headless lounge X3 Marf.

Popping your head off or completely halting what you're doing to talk and chat is like saying you don't care about actually fursuiting. Or at least that's the impression my boyfriend and I are given when we witness it. Not saying I'm completely correct though, just sharing my thoughts.

Offline Gabag

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 02:49:41 AM »
Or maybe you really really need to air out the first ever made fursuit they ever made so it's not exactly suited to venting out heat.

I mean i'd imagine being in a suit literally covered in something simulating fur must get hot as crap and probably very smelly

It doesnt matter if they need to have that 'image' of fursuiting

what if they're there just to hang out with people, its probably alright if they dont wear the costume all the time in a amazingly hot scenario.

What one person considers immerssion someone considers just another social activity, but you've acknowledged people are different in opinions so im not nit picking you

Offline Crash the dog

• Avid Aardvark
  • Marf?
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 03:14:55 AM »
Or maybe you really really need to air out the first ever made fursuit they ever made so it's not exactly suited to venting out heat.

I mean i'd imagine being in a suit literally covered in something simulating fur must get hot as crap and probably very smelly

It doesnt matter if they need to have that 'image' of fursuiting

what if they're there just to hang out with people, its probably alright if they dont wear the costume all the time in a amazingly hot scenario.

What one person considers immerssion someone considers just another social activity, but you've acknowledged people are different in opinions so im not nit picking you

Marf, I know you're not picking on me. We're having a casual discussion, not an argument =3

It's possible that other people's fursuits get smelly, but if you take good care of it, it shouldn't ever smell. I've had mine for years and it has no bad scent to it, and doesn't smell at all while being worn.

I can say that, considering the only conventions I've been to so far are FC 2008, FC 2009, and FC 2010, it's never really hot there during that time of year. In fact, it's quite cold! Heat isn't a real issue. I wouldn't say something like this if I weren't a fursuiter... But I am X3

...Uh, what does "the first fursuit they ever made" have to do with this conversation? Who's "they"? ... Oh wait, you're saying if the wearer made it themselves, and it was their first one, right? I wasn't specifically talking about people at cons who have homemade fursuits, I'm also talking about the ones who paid for a commission, like myself. I'm not focusing my thoughts on people with well-ventilated suits vs. non-ventilated suits.

Offline Kitt_R_Beesley

• The Dark Fox, Reaper of Souls
  • Dancing Dragon
  • for true freedom is in the sky
    • Kitt Beesley furaffinity account
    • Awards
  • Species: Black Fox
  • Coloring: blue eyes, black fur, blond hair, grayish white around his mouth trailing down his stomach.
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 141
  • Build: lean
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 05:02:37 AM »
I have to agree with this. I fursuit myself and the general rule is exactly that keep your anominity and act out! now I understand a sudden need to be out of it (i.e. going to puke, have someone pass out, prevent yourself from passing out, yeah some suits get hot.) but if their taking them off cause their sick of it they need to take it to a head less loung before they change out of the suit.

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 02:35:31 PM »
Marf, I just had a thought. If some people only wanted to wear their fursuit for themselves and not for anybody else... Why would they bring it to a furry convention? They could save tons of money and just stay at their own home, right? Or if they had other reasons to go to the con, they could leave their suit at home, saving a lot of hassle involved with transporting it. I think if they bring it to a furry convention, they intend to show it to other people and get at least SOME attention from it.

So I guess that means that the main reason for "ruining the magic" is due to fatigue, probably. That's too bad... The headless lounges are there for just that purpose: To let you remove parts of your suit where other people can't see, and relax and cool off. There're even nice big fans in there X3

My point by saying that they may be doing it for themselves is that they bought the fursuit for THEM. They wanted a fursuit that represented their fursona so they bought one (or made one) and they wear it to the con because they want to. Maybe they want people to see their suit and say "hey that's cool" but I think some people would buy the suit and wear it because they just want to. Basically I'm saying that they bought the suit (and wear it) to make themselves happy. Making others happy and/or getting compliments would probably just be a bonus for them.

If I ever buy a suit it will be because I want a suit that represents my fursona and I will wear it to make myself happy. I will have no intention of wearing it to entertain others (though it might end up that way without me knowing it since people might just get entertained by seeing someone in a fursuit walking around). And if I got compliments, I would be happy, but if I didn't I would still be happy because I would just be wearing for me and not others.

Sorry if I sound like I'm repeating myself like, 3 times in each paragraph. lol.

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown