The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Ruining the magic?  (Read 10606 times)

Offline blood wolf

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: black and red
  • Height: 6'5"
  • Weight: 180 lbs.
  • Build: built
Re: Ruining the magic?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 01:37:33 AM »
i get what your saying and i agree so you not alone in this,i agree that if your fursuiting and you just randomly take off your head and leave its not right. im not going into futher detail because i dont need to you explained everything when you said it
The Furries are the most important people on the planet without us the world would be thrown into utter chaos leaving only the Furries to repopulate the planet that would then be the perfect world (better then a hippie only planet) that's how important we are and Furries trolls don't know that because the are not like us the Furries, the most important beings.

Blood Wolf,in my own words

Offline Zephri

• Avid Aardvark
  • =^,.,^=
    • Awards
  • Species: Cougar
  • Coloring: Normal cougar colors. Darkish/light brown fur.
  • Height: 6.1'
  • Weight: 180
  • Build: Thin, but not weak.
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 10:41:10 AM »
Welp I'm going to have to say that they own the suit and paid prolly hundreds of dollars on it, so its their right to take off their heads whenever they want.
We can complain all we want about what they "should" do or about what "should" be right, that's our right too, but we can't do a darn thing about it.

Oh yeah, and there was no magic! :P
If I wanted magic or something close to it I'd go to Disney world (which I don't like anyways).
So there's my opinion on the matter.

Btw: For me fursuiters are much easier to interact with once you talk to the person inside when their not suiting.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:03:51 AM by Zephri »
"Too much pride leads to arrogance, and too much arrogance leads to downfalls."

Offline Crash the dog

• Avid Aardvark
  • Marf?
    • Crash's youtube channel
    • Awards
  • Species: Doggy!
  • Coloring: Black, grey, and white
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 08:38:42 PM »
Oh yeah, and there was no magic! :P
If I wanted magic or something close to it I'd go to Disney world (which I don't like anyways).

I didn't mean magic in a literal way =P I meant more of a feeling than seeing a trick or something. And I'm very sorry to hear that you don't like Disney World. It's hard to imagine someone being there and not enjoying themselves o.o

Btw: For me fursuiters are much easier to interact with once you talk to the person inside when their not suiting.

Marf... But then they're not fursuiters anymore.

Offline Zephri

• Avid Aardvark
  • =^,.,^=
    • Awards
  • Species: Cougar
  • Coloring: Normal cougar colors. Darkish/light brown fur.
  • Height: 6.1'
  • Weight: 180
  • Build: Thin, but not weak.
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 09:05:45 PM »

Marf... But then they're not fursuiters anymore.

Yeah they are. I'll just know them a little better and it helps me interact with them. I tend to ignore most fursuiters to be honest because I don't know how to interact with them very well, I know I'm repeating myself here but it's very hard for me to explain.

I'm sure that I'll get used to interacting with them over time, I might even get better with charades but I've only had a chance to meet a few so I'm still rather shy to them and most likely will continue to ignore most of them unless they get my attention somehow. Maybe my trip to M.F.F. will solve that. ^_^

BUT
, with that said my first points still stand that it is their suits and they can wear them how they want.
"Too much pride leads to arrogance, and too much arrogance leads to downfalls."

Offline Thagrahn

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger and Lynx
  • Coloring: White and Black; Grey, Tan, and White
  • Height: 5' 4"; 5' 0"
  • Weight: 135 lb; 107 lb
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 10:30:54 PM »
That's one of the problems with a lot of Cons, a lot of people just drop the character image as soon as it starts to get old or boring.  :'(

Kind of the reason to dress up is to try and be someone or something, so stopping in the middle and acting out of character as some as you no longer feel like it ruins the point of being in costume.

I've had to wear military gear, and it gets hot in the helmet, but you don't just take it off cause you could get shot.

Venting the head is hard but a necessary step in designing anything that covers the full head.
I am Thagarhn, nothing more, nothing less.

Offline Xywolf

• Boisterous Bear
  • po pi pooo
    • FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf/Husky/Racoon
  • Coloring: grey black and white
  • Height: 6ft
  • Build: scrawny
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 01:46:52 PM »
i know what you meannn!!
when i first joined the fandom, suit were all magical and being part of the character. kinda being an actor i guess.
but now. people walk around, with their heads off talking.
and its like seeing the face of a voice actor. and then after, when you watch the cartoon, its not the same.
i've seen the guy who plays peter griffin. and now i dont see this fat funny american guy. more some. weird scrawny nothing alike guy.
no fun.
3 is charming, 2 and lets get obscene

lets meet ambiguously,But But I lo lo Love you

Be Sure To Go Check My Art~[/center]

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • It's AR for short
    • Peanutbutter & Sandwhich
    • Awards
  • Species: Feline Gargoyle
  • Coloring: Black with white streaks
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: 175lbs
  • Build: Femine
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 08:59:24 AM »
I just started suiting last year my self. I finally got enough money put together to buy a head, so I only have a piratical. But I can say even with out a full suit I sweat like crazy. I still keep my head on regardless.

Just keep in mind everyone is different, there is no right or wrong way to suit. There are really no rules on how to do it, and if you paid for a suit, and to go to a con you can pretty much do as you please with it.

That's just my opinion...

::::
Commissions are OPEN
::::

"I do not conform to popular stupidity"
"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox

Offline Crevan Fox

• Kuddly Kitten
  • The Neon Arctic Foxy
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Fox
  • Coloring: Neon Green (On feet, paws, both ears, tip of tail and stomach), White (Everywhere else). All green parts are togglable bioluminescent
  • Height: Anthro: 1.85 m; Feral: 25 cm
  • Weight: Anthro: 82 kg; Feral: 3.5 kg
  • Build: Fluffy
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
I think the same as AR, Good point well made   ^_^

Offline Xywolf

• Boisterous Bear
  • po pi pooo
    • FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf/Husky/Racoon
  • Coloring: grey black and white
  • Height: 6ft
  • Build: scrawny
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 05:46:04 AM »
i agree on the everyone suits differently and such.
i mean, nowadays the furry fandom is so wide, and there's so many aspects of it.

back in the day. when the fandom was still quite small and unknown. fursuiters, wouldn't take their heads off. Because, in their suits, they are their fursona. and thats who they wanted to become. not a person in a suit. Anouther that gets me that now fursona has a totaly different meaning, people have more than one fursona. I'm no saying  its wrong, but in my opinion, and before, fursona was your personal character. someone who was you/or someone you could transform into. but now there is people who say they're half in the fandom, have a sona, but there not a furry etc etc.
got a little off topic.
don't know. guess I just miss the days of that.
3 is charming, 2 and lets get obscene

lets meet ambiguously,But But I lo lo Love you

Be Sure To Go Check My Art~[/center]

Offline Renamon

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 04:23:34 AM »
OK, I am also a long time anime con goer and cosplayer, and there is something like this there called ANIMEGAO KIGURUMI!!! Also sometimes called just kigurumi. Fursuiting is also a form of kigurumi, so notice I said "Animegao" (look them up on wiki)
Animegao kigurumi performers NEVER NEVER NEVER talk or take the head off! EVER! They also wear a flesh colored bodysuit that covers all the person's skin and hair, so you never see the person inside. I have been around these performers many times, and they will never violate the rules! The idea is they are the character and not the person inside. They are also very guarded; unless you are from their group or are a privileged friend, you will never be allowed to know who they are. Some kigurumi performers only know each other in suit, they have never seen each other without a mask! When they go out, they will usually have a handler, to tell people what they are and for safety.

I have adopted these rules for my fursuits! I never talk or take the head off! And yes it can get VERY warm in the suit! I use fans in my heads, and with them I can last 3+ hours in suit! But, I never talk and break the illusion!  

These are some Animegao Kigurumi:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 04:25:21 AM by Renamon »

Offline KE6WNH

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 10:58:38 PM »
Renamon, I totally understand what you mean about maintaining the air of mystery! I haven't done the furry thing, but when I went out as V (<--see avatar), it was a given that the character never, ever took off his mask (even in the movie). I had to be articulate, though, and gallant, which meant pretending to kiss the ladies' hands and posing for a lot of pics. There isn't much magical about a middle-aged fat guy like me.

Yes, my face sweated behind the mask for 5 hours, but I think the key which applies to fursuits as well is to avoid getting stuck with one that's so poorly designed you can't work with it. Comfort is the most precious thing in the world when you put on a fursuit or any other kind of costume.
You'll never do anything right if you listen to all the wrong people. ---my friend Ed

Offline Toska

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Warthog
  • Coloring: Black, dark grey and fluro green
  • Height: 5'6" (+ ears =])
  • Build: Chunky
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 08:48:48 AM »
I agree to an extent I talk in suit but I made sure I had an articulated jaw so it doesn't look completely weird and I have taken my head off around people but they were all furrys at a local meet last year which was a picnic and there was nowhere secluded to pop your head and take a breather. I imagine it would be quite different at a con in a hotel where there are a myriad of places you can escape to. I don't mind so much talking or taking my head off around other furs because they know the deal but I would never do it around others especially kids because to them it is more like 'magic'.