The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Statistics  (Read 24118 times)

Offline Tweak

• Technical Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug
  • Rawr and such like.
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Black, gold and purple
  • Height: Varies
  • Weight: Varies
  • Build: Dragon-y
  • Currently: Bleh.
Statistics
« on: August 29, 2010, 01:42:19 PM »
I decided a number of you might be interested in the statistics for the forums. The forum gives statistical information but this is very much limited to the scope of the forum.

The statistics I'm giving here make use of the server logs and Google Analytics to show trends an information of all visitors to the forum.

Note: All statistics are correct as of 29th August, 12:15am GMT

So far this month the forums have transferred over 10.5 GIGABYTES of data, an increase of over 250 MB from last month and nearly 4 GB more than in January, the data has increased every month bar May when it dropped to only 6.5 GB. This means that per visit each user downloads 12 MB of data through an average of 2.5 visits per visitor. This includes over 2 GB of bandwidth from bots etc.

The busiest day this month was the 19th August and the quietest was the 14th August. By 15 minutes past the "new day" today the forums had already transferred more data than on the 14th. Interesting the busiest day of the week is a Thursday with the quietest being Monday. Most visits occur around 11pm GMT (5pm Central) with the least at 8am GMT (2am Central).

According to the statistics the busiest country is the UK, however as the server IP is included as a host (due to internal calls for avatars etc) this is skewed and the highest is the USA followed by the UK. We've also had visitors from Sweden, Russia, Australia, Canada, the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Malaysia, China, Latvia, New Zealand, Iraq, Finland, Norway, Ukraine, Poland, Oman, Slovakia, Thailand, Austria, Luxembourg, Israel and Romania.

The top 25 users shows Cyan having used the most bandwidth this month (after the server) followed closely by Crevan with Kid Jojo at the bottom of the top 25 - a difference of over 200 MB of data (this doesn't include internal calls to load avatars etc).

When it comes to various robots and spiders Yahoo Slurp has used over 1 GB of bandwidth in its indexing and Googlebot has used 255 MB.

Most visits last between 0 and 30 seconds (probably bots) with the next largest visit being over an hour! The average overall is about 15 minutes.

85% of users use Windows with 36% using XP followed by 32% using 2008 and then Vista / 7 with 15%. Mac accounts for 9.2% of visits with all visitors using OS X. Linux is a measly 2.5% with the majority using Ubuntu, although SUSE, Mandriva/Mandrake and Fedora are shown too. Other operating systems include the PSP, Wii, Solaris and Symbian.

When it comes to browsers Firefox has 33% usages with the latest 3.6(.8) being used, hits come from FF 4 as well as 3.5(.11) and even some from 3.0(.19) with a few still on FF 2. IE users mostly use version 8 with some hits from 7 and 6. Netscape has a small amount of users. The most commonly used browser is Google Chrome with over a quarter of visitors using it. Safari, Opera, Mozilla, Samsung, LG, Motorola and Android are also used.

81% of users have the site bookmarked or browse directly whereas 10% come from Search engines. Another 8% are linked from various sites.

Please note that although this records can all be linked up, the information is presented separately for privacy reasons. Any connections appearing on this page are merely coincidental and I have not "stalked" any specific user.

I hope you've found the mass of information on the forums interesting. If people would be interested in a monthly update I would be happy to consider it.

Offline Crevan Fox

• Kuddly Kitten
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • The Neon Arctic Foxy
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Fox
  • Coloring: Neon Green (On feet, paws, both ears, tip of tail and stomach), White (Everywhere else). All green parts are togglable bioluminescent
  • Height: Anthro: 1.85 m; Feral: 25 cm
  • Weight: Anthro: 82 kg; Feral: 3.5 kg
  • Build: Fluffy
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Statistics
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 02:02:44 PM »
That is very interesting Tweak, Like you said i just type this forum address into the address bar, I cant bookmark it sadly.

Can i ask how many visitors have come from Oman if i may, i know i have but thats cause i am on holiday and wow the UK, I never would have thought.

It's also very interesting to see that i am number two in the bandwidth thing. I'm surprised.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 02:05:31 PM by Crevan Coleo »

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 02:26:21 PM »
Yeah, pretty interesting actually XP
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 02:55:20 PM »
I read the statistics part in the main forum part all the time, nice to see the server results :P.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Crevan Fox

• Kuddly Kitten
  • The Neon Arctic Foxy
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Neon Green (On feet, paws, both ears, tip of tail and stomach), White (Everywhere else). All green parts are togglable bioluminescent
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 03:00:54 PM »
I read the statistics part in the main forum part all the time, nice to see the server results :P.

Where White?
That is very interesting Tweak, Like you said i just type this forum address into the address bar, I cant bookmark it sadly.

Can i ask how many visitors have come from Oman if i may, i know i have but thats cause i am on holiday and wow the UK, I never would have thought.

It's also very interesting to see that i am number two in the bandwidth thing. I'm surprised.

BTW i would Love regular updates of this, All on this thread

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 03:03:21 PM »

Where White?

At the bottom of the forum index, above where it lists the users online. The link is here: http://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?action=stats

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Crevan Fox

• Kuddly Kitten
  • The Neon Arctic Foxy
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 03:50:36 PM »
Thank-you Zephyr

Offline Tweak

• Technical Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug
  • Rawr and such like.
    • Discord
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 08:52:43 PM »

Oman accounted for 2500 hits - most likely a single person. The UK have quite a lot of users really, we aren't that small! Bandwidth per user differs, I just thought it may be of interest.

Regular updates will be done.

Just to show - another 5 GB of bandwidth has already been used in the past 9 hours, I think I'm going to have to increase the limits!

Offline Crevan Fox

• Kuddly Kitten
  • The Neon Arctic Foxy
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 08:55:22 PM »

Oman accounted for 2500 hits - most likely a single person. The UK have quite a lot of users really, we aren't that small! Bandwidth per user differs, I just thought it may be of interest.

*Holds Paw in air* My bad

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
So that means the website will cost more per month to host right o.o?

Offline flames

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online
  • $ cat /dev/urandom | hd
    • Fur Affinity
    • Hokaze's Place
    • Awards
  • Currently: Alive...
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »
Interesting info, I look forward to seeing how the data changes in the future. And Solaris? I know the workstations and severs are still in use widely enough to matter but I didn't think any visitors would be running the OS.
Anyway, thanks for the info Tweak.
The farewell was premature. My definite stay is not definite. The constants are variable. The greeting was too late.

Offline Tweak

• Technical Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Optimistic Owl
  • Rawr and such like.
    • Discord
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 10:42:57 PM »
So that means the website will cost more per month to host right o.o?

Technically it would, yes. But as the package isn't paid for directly it won't cost me more out of pocket.

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 10:56:07 PM »
I don't really understand what you mean by not directly, but that's good to hear. This place is expensive already o.o

Offline Tweak

• Technical Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Optimistic Owl
  • Rawr and such like.
    • Discord
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 10:24:27 AM »
The server is what donations are collected for, the server hosts a number of things as well as providing paid hosting. Each site hosted has its own package which cost a certain amount monthly, because no-one pays for the forums directly (donations cover everything) it means that no costs increase with upgrades unless it hits the server limits.

This gives more expansion without affecting costs. Donations cover all my costs as it cuts down my time and money input allowing me to focus on more.

Offline KittKat chunky~

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • 100% chocolate-wafer feline!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lynx / Wildcat
  • Coloring: Dappled brown-grey and white
  • Height: 5' 7" ish
  • Build: Chunkeh
  • Currently: Nom!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 10:30:20 AM »
Visitors from Slovakia!

That was me when i was on holiday  :P

Anyway, interesting stuff... And you do a great job of running the forums Tweak  ^_^
  • Avatar by: Avatar art drawn by me
100% chocolate-wafer feline!

"The Slovak optimist is learning English, the Slovak pesimist is learning Russian and the Slovak realist is learning to shoot an AK-47"