The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice: Telling others about being furry  (Read 84694 times)

Offline Kodakk

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • OMG IT'S A BEAR!
    • Awards
  • Species: kodiak bear
  • Coloring: brown
  • Height: 6'2
  • Build: huggable
Re: Advice: Telling others about being furry
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 10:40:06 PM »
^good'n.

i just told all of my friends i was a furry, if they ignored me that was fine, i still have friends that are totally fine with it. this is where you find your true friends.

i have a very irish temper though, and when i hear/see someone refur to a furry as a pervert, i get SO UPSET! they just do not understand what being a furry is. i explain to them that there are different kinds of furries, and that it does not mean we are a bunch of crazed pervs... sometimes it works.

Offline Rex

• Boisterous Bear
  • ^^ bad drawing and quality, bleh, my fursona!
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Fox
  • Coloring: White, black on end of ears and end of tail
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 160
  • Build: avg, toned
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 01:54:51 AM »
wow i like hex's approach, in my opinion, its better not to tell anyone, in my case its easier, cause nothing has changed since i went furry.... cept that i come here..... just ask Garth...

lol, ignore this, ive told 3 people now :) and also a lot has changed since i became furry...... my advice now, dont tell people who you know wouldnt like it, because i can see now that eventually you'll get the urge to tell someone.

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 03:15:52 PM »
Personally, my friends know I draw anthro art. They also know that I get a kick at poking fun at stereotypes, and this does not exclude anything I'm a part of, in this case, furry. They know I'm a furry, I guess. When they ask me something, I don't have a problem explaining, but the best way I've found to explain it is like comparing it to another well known fandom, like anime freaks. There are extremists in every fandom, and whether we like it or not, we get clumped with them. I don't run around pumping my fists in the air yelling "FURRY PRIED!" and if I ever did I'd expect to get my face pummeled by myself later. I can have my fun making fun of furries if they deserve it, (which some of them do when they compare their social struggles to the HOLOCAUST. I KID YOU NOT, there are furries that do that) and I can also take a joke if it's made at me. It's not a lifestyle, but it's never presented a problem to me.

Offline Resa F

• Boisterous Bear
  • Awful art by me till I ask an actual artist todraw
    • Awards
  • Species: Squirrel
  • Coloring: Grey
  • Height: 6'1 "
  • Weight: 14st
  • Build: Normal, going to chubby
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 10:09:12 AM »
 There are extremists in every fandom, and whether we like it or not, we get clumped with them. I don't run around pumping my fists in the air yelling "FURRY PRIED!" and if I ever did I'd expect to get my face pummeled by myself later. I can have my fun making fun of furries if they deserve it, (which some of them do when they compare their social struggles to the HOLOCAUST. I KID YOU NOT, there are furries that do that) and I can also take a joke if it's made at me. It's not a lifestyle, but it's never presented a problem to me.

Seconded. Unfortunately the vocal minority shout the loudest. Heh, I honestly don't know how many people know I'm a furry. A couple I know for sure, but most people don't know what it means. One time it was
Friend: "Yeah well you like furries"
Me: "Wait, when did I tell you that?"
Friend: " I was being generally insulting. Please say your joking?"
Me "No"
Friend: "Oh fine". It's curious, 'cause this guy got me into Redwall, which got me into the fandom, and he was the most anti-furry (but still not much) person I know. Now, I'm fairly certain he is furry too. I'm kinda worried about talking about being a furry 'cause I'm worried I'll just come across as a furvert. Meh. All part of the adventure that is life I suppose. Hexs approach usually works too, if you know /b/tards, otherwise, see above.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:14:57 AM by Resa F »
"I'd rather be happy than right any day!!"
"And are you?"
"No, and that's where it all comes apart I suppose""
"Pity, it seemed like such a good lifestyle..."

Offline Howlinger

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Oreo Werewolf
  • Coloring: Black and White
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 230 pounds
  • Build: Stocky, a bit husky.
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 08:45:25 PM »
I find it funny that people label us as odd, or just wierd, when in fact there no different then we are no matter how thay look at it. As people, we all have ower twists and turns in ower every day living life. Wheather it's ower sexual life style, or just ower every day life style. Each and every one of us has a surten way of going abut it, and no more then one life style is going to be the same, but it's when we get into what we look at as taboo is when things get ugly, and frankly the furry fandom is among those taboo's in the long run, just as other life styles of a taboo nature (If your one to take it that far that is.)

I for one look at it as a hobby, and take it no further, but thats just me. Has to how to tell other's about it... don't. Only because your life is your own, and you shouldent have to feel the need to explain your self to other's to why you like, or are into what your doing. If thay question it, you have the right to say something, or nothing, and as with anything else in life. Thay can eather respect that part of you that you dwell your self in, or deal with it, and if thay don't. Thay really are not your friends are thay?

*Shrug* Life is just so grand, no?

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 03:50:48 PM »
Your friend sounds like he's in the closet about being a fur. Haha. My boyfriend, before we were together would call me out on being a furry all the time, and at the time, I didn't know what one was. Turned out later, he was one, too. Oh the irony.

As for being odd or weird... We are. There's no doubt that pretending to be an animal isn't a normal thing in today's society, and well, you've got to get used to the fact that it's not. We can't stand alongside normal people in fursuits, cat ears, and collars and claim that we are as normal as they are. I mean we're strange because we are heavily into abstraction, suspending our belief for a few moments to believe that we can connect with animals, or be one. Strange isn't always a bad thing, though. I think if you choose a lifestyle or hobby or anything, you need to be prepared for things thrown at you if it's not considered normal and not let if rub your fur the wrong way (no pun intended). You are who you are, and there is no changing it. If someone can't accept it, you didn't need to be around them anyway.

I am also one who considers it more of a hobby or interest than a lifestyle, but again, I've had no problem answering questions. More often than not, it clarifies things that people have assumed from stereotypes and if it didn't, then I guess they're idiots or not open-minded.

Offline Righteousbro

• Eager Elephant
  • Ekuamahtava
  • Species: Tiger/kitteh
  • Coloring: White and black
  • Height: 6 ft
  • Weight: 150 lbs
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 01:15:02 AM »
I don't know how people will react because if I mention the fandom I feel like they'll search it on google and be told by some stupid angry blogger we're all insane cultist fetishists who think we can talk to animals. So it's weird, I don't care what people say about me but I don't want everyone to get the wrong ideas. And some of my friends might just think there furries because there furverts and I don't want that to happen. Also a lot of my friends and idiots so I have no idea what to do, I don't care to much tho, I just say it like its a normal thing.

Offline Lucc Wayfarer

• Vibrating Furby
  • Needs moar lulz.
    • My new blog, nothing on there at the moment.
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Orange and white
  • Height: 160cm
  • Weight: 70kg
  • Build: Average
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 07:17:57 AM »
I wouldn't tell anyone myself unless they were

a) as weird as myself
b) understanding
c) I think they are furries
d) they are not b-tards

...and other stuff too.
I told my parents I was a furry when I was 13 and they Googled it and got (I kid you not) the Encyclopedia Dramatica article. I should have died then. Now they are ceratin furry is (quote) "people having sex with animals". I kinda lost trust with them that day... 'cause they refused to listen to my side. Be careful of who you tell.
You know what they say, all toasters toast toast! ~ Mario, Hotel Mario

Offline Lucc Wayfarer

• Vibrating Furby
  • Needs moar lulz.
    • My new blog, nothing on there at the moment.
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Orange and white
  • Height: 160cm
  • Weight: 70kg
  • Build: Average
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 05:52:58 AM »
@Lita lol, it's usually the other way round for me... my parents are the ones giving the speech! ;)
You know what they say, all toasters toast toast! ~ Mario, Hotel Mario

Offline Silence the Splicer

• Boisterous Bear
  • rawr
    • Awards
  • Species: splicer
  • Height: 6'0"
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: thin
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 09:26:01 AM »
you don't need to tell others you're a furry at all, but the only people who know i am have managed to guess it on their own (my best friend and his brother, who used to be a furry himself) and so far it's worked out pretty well. if you tell people they're gonna look it up online, and they most likely will stumble across questionable websites or hate sites. safer not to say anything unless someone directly asks.
By Jove!

Offline Crazking

• Avid Aardvark
  • Kind but a little crazy.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolgon
  • Coloring: White fur with black hair, paws, claws, inner-wings and tip of tail
  • Height: 184cm
  • Weight: 66kgs
  • Build: Not too muscular but not too weak XD
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »
How do u change ur statistics plz
I deed help :?
 *lowers head in respect*
Therian and otherkin I am of both
do as you will I do not care

90% of teens today would have a mental breakdown if Myspace crashed.  If you are in the 10% that would be laughing, copy this and paste it into your signature.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 05:01:15 PM »
What statistics?

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Ho'ne Diheart

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • :3
    • Awards
  • Species: Ghost Bolf (bear/wolf)
  • Coloring: black and redish brown
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: 190
  • Build: Stocky
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 07:15:33 PM »
My brother has accepted me as a furry which is good...the rest I am more worried about...

Offline Crazking

• Avid Aardvark
  • Kind but a little crazy.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolgon
  • Coloring: White fur with black hair, paws, claws, inner-wings and tip of tail
  • Height: 184cm
  • Weight: 66kgs
  • Build: Not too muscular but not too weak XD
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 12:48:14 PM »
How do you go about LIVING furry as well as acting the part :?
I get the collar thing down good but the rest is a little hazy.

Therian and otherkin I am of both
do as you will I do not care

90% of teens today would have a mental breakdown if Myspace crashed.  If you are in the 10% that would be laughing, copy this and paste it into your signature.

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 02:24:08 PM »
Well, there's nothing special about furries. Living furry doesn't require you to wear a collar or anything. Just be yourself, that's all you can do.