The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice: Telling others about being furry  (Read 86891 times)

Offline juliet

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Look into buying my commissions.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: White
  • Height: 5'3''
  • Weight: 165
  • Build: Curvy!
  • Currently: Selling commissions
Re: Advice: Telling others about being furry
« Reply #735 on: March 13, 2014, 05:25:05 PM »
Totally. Mine actually was torn off by one of my friends and I cussed hi out because it was a tail I made myself. So it really upset me. He still does it but not as hard as he did before. Which I think is good. This girl I didn't know touched my tail and I looked back at her and said,"what the **** are you doing?" And she ran off with her friend freaking out about it :/ it's girls like that that really set me off. I nearly just stopped her and grabbed her neck. I wanted to. I hate being a passifis. It's terrible when you get angry. 
  • Signature art by: Also Me xD

Offline nixon/monto

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Rachet?oh yeah! He is my cousins friend.greet guy!
  • Species: lombax
  • Coloring: regular
  • Height: 6'5"
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: little above average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: doing good
« Reply #736 on: March 13, 2014, 08:11:48 PM »
<:( that would scare me too..little kids are usually the ones to tug on my tail. And then it's cute but funny because sometimes they chase my tail when I try to look at them. Makes them smile soo much! :) it makes you feel so..happy! Making a kid smile is something to treasure, and I hope I get to do that everyday! ;)

Space is a place I can't wait to go to. All the time in reality. And yet I long for the end, not because I want it to end, but because I'm curious of how this world ends and where all these souls go to when they breath no more. But till then I'll be having the time of my life! :)

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army.
 FDF forever       "
SNIPER!!!  boo ya FDF!!

Offline juliet

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #737 on: March 13, 2014, 08:46:09 PM »
No it was a girl that was older than me, and she did it to make fun of me. If I could stop that from happening I totally would. But, I refuse to get suspended for putting a female dog in her place. .-. You know? And then one girl stopped me the other day and asked me, "what's the tail for?" What I wanted to say, right then and there, was "what's with the greasy hair?" It's what the girl is known for in my school, instead, I breathed in, and simply said, "it's none of your business." And walked off.

Offline nixon/monto

• Lovable Lion
« Reply #738 on: March 14, 2014, 12:57:39 AM »
That's the right thing to do and hey we all have that someone who drives us up a tree.

Space is a place I can't wait to go to. All the time in reality. And yet I long for the end, not because I want it to end, but because I'm curious of how this world ends and where all these souls go to when they breath no more. But till then I'll be having the time of my life! :)

FDF forever       "
SNIPER!!!  boo ya FDF!!

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #739 on: March 14, 2014, 04:15:48 AM »
People often assume I'd have scales when they see drawings and stuff, then when we actually meet, I'm furry! XD

Offline juliet

• Melodious Mouse
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #740 on: March 15, 2014, 12:07:10 AM »
I never thought that though .-.

Offline hdrgn

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #741 on: April 23, 2014, 04:28:13 AM »
I had it easy...... every one of my friends accepts me for who i am....... My parents as well

Offline MaskaTheOtter

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Most Online
  • Still, The last Naturologist in the world.
    • Awards
  • Species: River Otter
  • Coloring: Light Brown
  • Height: Anthro: 6' 2" Feral: 42"
  • Weight: Anthro: 170 lbs Feral: 25 lbs
  • Build: I am fit and strong, great swimmer
  • Currently: Swimming
« Reply #742 on: April 23, 2014, 07:35:48 AM »
That's the right thing to do and hey we all have that someone who drives us up a tree.
I drove myself up a tree the other day... stayed up there all day.

But in all seriousness... Never let anyone tell you to be anything other than what you want to be
I am back. Please message me!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
The one pilot that is crazy enough to fly anything!

Offline Tyga

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
  • Species: Winged Tiger
  • Coloring: White and gray
  • Currently: Lost in Time. Lost in Space
« Reply #743 on: April 23, 2014, 11:11:53 PM »
I usually don't bother telling people I'm furry, because no matter how eloquent you are they will believe the internet every time. That doesn't bother me usually because when all's said and done I'm happy and comfortable in my fur and nothing anyone can say about it phases me.

CSI has a lot to answer for. 

Offline L4BY_

• Maze Designer // DDR Player // Coaster Enthusiast
  • Boisterous Bear
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Silver fox
  • Coloring: Grey and dark grey fur, white on some areas, green eyes.
  • Height: Slightly smaller than the average size
  • Build: Average // Can be feral or anthro
  • Currently: Probably in some arcade right now playing DDR
« Reply #744 on: May 23, 2014, 09:48:49 AM »
I have a friend at school who has likes tons of accessories attached to her clothes, she's a big fan of Pokemon, metal and cosplay. I asked her how she copes with others. She said she often gets people stopping her or following her around in the streets to ask with is she wearing ears or a tail or so much chains and stuff on her. She just answers (as an example): "Why do you wear a scarf?"
And then they stop and don't know what to say.

For the moment, I'm wearing simple furry t-shirts. People in France don't know what a furry is. I'm gonna buy myself a blue fox tail in 1/2 weeks. I wonder how they will react when I'll put it on or attach it to my bag..

(I decided to keep my hair normal and dye it later when I'm a bit older)

Offline nixon/monto

• Lovable Lion
« Reply #745 on: May 23, 2014, 11:33:43 AM »
(Smart idea) I wold put it on your bag. Like a giant key chain attachment. I have a tail but it's like a red panda tail. (It's quite cute really.)

FDF forever       "
SNIPER!!!  boo ya FDF!!

Offline seltzervi

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Hai there! *hugs everyone*
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: goat/fox/racoon/gargoyle hybrid
  • Coloring: Purple and pink horns and tail, gray fur with dark grey "freckles", and ice blue (almost white!) eyes.
  • Height: About four feet tall.
  • Weight: 80-ish pounds.
  • Build: Petite
  • Currently: I REALLY need to start coming on more often :/
« Reply #746 on: June 02, 2014, 11:10:05 PM »
I've never had much of a hard time explaining what being a furry is. When I told my mom I showed her a video of Anthrocon, and she said it looked pretty fun ^.^
Other than that I just kinda show them pictures of anthro art and what not. When telling my one friend, she said it sounded kinda weird, and then once I showed her the art, she was like "WOAH THAT LOOKS SO COOL!!" c:

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 10 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #747 on: July 20, 2014, 11:27:36 PM »
not to hard for me i use the line i bet i can make you say so cute and show them a video of telephone so then they kinda accept it
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Growlithe

• Boisterous Bear
  • Blarg
    • Awards
  • Species: Meerkitty
  • Currently: Ready to see the world
Re: Any tips for telling parents you are a furry?
« Reply #748 on: August 13, 2014, 03:28:25 AM »
I have never decided to tell anyone that I'm a furry unless it came up in some way, it just never really made sense to me to. It reminds me of people who decide they should mention their religious philosophy without any real context. Whether that be my decision to ask them to attend a con with me, if they ask about some art I'm looking at, or if it just casually comes up in some other way I usually let the something lead to the necessity of explaining I am a furry. I believe it's important to address why you want to tell them. I've found it easier to imagine a path when I understand my reason. Personally, I'd ask them what they think about furries to get an understanding of any stereotypes they may believe are accurate. Don't take anything they say personally at that stage, they very likely don't know much beyond that documentary. I would then, in a way that won't step on any toes or make them feel like you're intentionally challenging their views (always a big issue with my folk - they get defensive easily). discuss what I understand as a furry. It may be better to mention you are a furry before or after explaining; I have no gauge of what would be best with your parents of course. There is a "coming out of the furry closet" guide on another forum, but I'm uncertain if any mods would get annoyed with me linking it. I skim the rules quickly and update this post soon.

Scratch that, it has since been removed, but there are several good results if you google "coming out of the furry closet".

Edit: I was mistake, the OP was just misplaced due to technical difficulties. The second post is in fact the original post http://forums.furtopia.org/furries-on-furry/are-you-in-the-furry-closet/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:46:37 AM by Growlithe »
  • Signature art by: unknown
Feel free to PM me, I check here 1-2 times a day and love getting PMs

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 10 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
Re: Any tips for telling parents you are a furry?
« Reply #749 on: August 13, 2014, 03:31:30 AM »
i have randomly said it to some of my friends and i used a positive video to go along with it one i used was telephone being cute and thats how i did it really they understood after that and when they asked about the csi episode i said yea i know that one its just bull
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D