The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How did YOU become furry? =)  (Read 127137 times)

Offline Alice The Necrofox

• The Necromantic Mechanist
  • Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Back in black! Or rather a putrid shade of green
    • Awards
  • Species: Undead Fox/Demon Hybrid
  • Coloring: Green fur
  • Height: 5' 8"
  • Build: Tall, well built, young ish
  • Currently: Re-integrating with TFF. SO EXCITE
Re: How did YOU become furry? =)
« Reply #285 on: February 26, 2010, 05:25:19 AM »
WOAH!
Just remembered my first experience with the fandom.
I was playing D&D with a bunch of my friends (star wars, so maybe it wasn't TECHNICALLY D&D, but hey...) and this guy's art gallery showed these anthropomorphic characters. I loved them, and asked them where he got them. Then I went home and looked up what he told me... Furry and Anthro art. Fell in love, found the harassment, then came on the forum. And BOOM here I am.

I remember loving Anthro art at a younger age, but I had no clue there was a fandom for it!
  • Avatar by: Kazna (Waiting for him to give me his FA again)
  • Signature art by: None

Offline Niala Ornitier

• Liquid Crystal Queen
  • Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I feel primitive XD
    • Awards
  • Species: Lavender Tigrepard (just a tiger with a snow leopard's tail)
  • Coloring: Different shades of subtle purple
  • Height: 6 foot
  • Weight: 116 kg
  • Build: A normal build of fluffy and agile
« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2010, 08:42:22 AM »
i felt like i had a connection with animals also and i loved all the shows that had anthro's in them and animals that talked! =O lol....my favourite was simba and the fox vershun of robin hood to me they are both jesus :3

Never look at your life as something insignificant. Never forget those friends of yours that you loved. - Natsu Dragneel

Offline Twilightkitten

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: House Cat
  • Coloring: Calico
  • Height: 168cm
  • Weight: 57kg
  • Build: Slim
« Reply #287 on: February 27, 2010, 02:00:53 PM »
My furryness started ,when I was in basic school, second class I think. Some other kids removed a piece of very fibred bark from a tree. They also removed the not so fibred pieces from the bark and gained something that they used as a tail for playing horse. I joined them as long as they did it but soon they lost the interest on it. I didn't.
I didn't run around with that bark tail anymore but thought about things like "What would it be like to be an animal?", meaning a not-monkey-animal of course. :p

Years later, in 1989, during the "Wende", the time when the Berlin Wall fell and the GDR was dissolved, we moved to another home. Another school, another (though much nicer) environment, other people - all this kept me too busy until ninth class, I think. I went to school one day, when we had an Informatics class. Someone changed the background on the computer I used. Now there was a cat girl smiling at me, anime style, clad into shorts, tank-top and fluffy gaiters. This picture switched something within me, I wanted more. The following weeks, I spend some of my allowance to use a computer in the library of my town. This one was connected to the internet and I began lurking stories and pictures.
The "Catgirl Paradise" was one of my favourite sources. The drawer and author Ken Stone (He now has a DA account) was the reason that I sank deeper into the Furdome, even though his stories concentrated more on the cyberpunk genre.
From human people with just animal ears and tails, it was just a little step towards anthros, weres and whatnot.

My own character's species swapped to and fro during my life, was blurry, unclear, but finally (it happened sometime in 2006) it settled down being a cat.
So, my furry self began as simple fun and slowly I grew into it, while it changed. I am a full time furry now.  :D
Butterfly!
Om-nom-nom

Offline Kodakk

• Boisterous Bear
  • OMG IT'S A BEAR!
    • Awards
  • Species: kodiak bear
  • Coloring: brown
  • Height: 6'2
  • Build: huggable
« Reply #288 on: March 02, 2010, 10:19:12 PM »
im pretty new to it. i remeber have strange dreams where i was a different kind of animal/human hybrid, weird i know. it all started i guess when i bought footie sock monkey pajamas a few years back. i used to wear them out alot untill i got my teletubbie costume. i know a teletubbie isnt an animal, but i love it anyways.

it wasnt untill my friend said "dude, youre a furry" that i started to realize it. i laughed at first, but then i thought about it. now that i ahve talked to a few people on camp feral! and here, i can definitely see it.

i would like a full bear suit, but for now im just waiting for my bear ears to come in  :3

Offline Perquoi

• Vibrating Furby
  • Miniature mayhem - now that's MY kind of sandwich!
    • Awards
  • Species: African Wild Dog
« Reply #289 on: March 04, 2010, 03:19:27 AM »
I used to be really into learning about animals and drawing weird canine type things (even anthro-ish ones at times); I got a bit older and learned about the furry fandom and was like, "Oh. Hey, I kinda fit in with these guys."

I can't decide wether you should live or die
Oh, you'll probably go to heaven - please don't hang your head and cry
No wonder why my heart feels dead inside, it's cold and hard and petrified
Lock the doors and close the blinds, we're goin' for a ride!

Offline theBigBadWolf

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf
  • Coloring: black/silver
  • Height: six three
  • Weight: 170
  • Build: thin
« Reply #290 on: March 05, 2010, 03:58:21 PM »
my furry story is  a long one, so here goes......... i was always around animals and the woods where i used to live and i was always out there .playing and running on all fours  in no time at all people started sayin i was a wild animal. even now i growl when im mad i pant when im exited and i always sniff things to get familiar with them. the animal i was litterally obsessed with is the wolf . like yours. i also dreamed of being  sonic the hedgehog i was always tails when my sis and i played. but furrys also help with my uhhhhh how can i say this........ shyness not like regular shyness but kind of sexual shyness too my friends at school are also furry and i have alot in common with  them we are all wolves and one lion.. we have all been in relashionships and have been mates so we are all really close. furrys are my life my band is even influenced by them we are called the nature of the beast. thts how i became furry :P :3 ^_^ :*
yifff

Offline Rex

• Boisterous Bear
  • ^^ bad drawing and quality, bleh, my fursona!
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Fox
  • Coloring: White, black on end of ears and end of tail
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 160
  • Build: avg, toned
« Reply #291 on: March 10, 2010, 04:58:48 AM »
my furry story is  a long one, so here goes......... i was always around animals and the woods where i used to live and i was always out there .playing and running on all fours  in no time at all people started sayin i was a wild animal. even now i growl when im mad i pant when im exited and i always sniff things to get familiar with them. the animal i was litterally obsessed with is the wolf . like yours. i also dreamed of being  sonic the hedgehog i was always tails when my sis and i played. but furrys also help with my uhhhhh how can i say this........ shyness not like regular shyness but kind of sexual shyness too my friends at school are also furry and i have alot in common with  them we are all wolves and one lion.. we have all been in relashionships and have been mates so we are all really close. furrys are my life my band is even influenced by them we are called the nature of the beast. thts how i became furry :P :3 ^_^
*eyes glisten, inspiring story...... Mine was way more plain than that, i guess besides wanting to be an animal for much of my life, ive always loved the forest too, i go there alone a lot...... Ive already said some other stuff too, anyways i can see now that furry fandom will never leave me, its always gonna be a huge part of my life :)

Offline Blaze redwolf

• Boisterous Bear
  • I didn't draw this but i like it
    • Awards
  • Species: Fire Wolf
  • Coloring: Red, white, and black
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 130
  • Build: Semi-muscular
« Reply #292 on: March 11, 2010, 12:51:09 AM »
Well i was 13 and im not sure really what triggered me becoming a furry. I really didnt even know furries existed till last year so i don't really know how to explain who i was or what i was thinking. I really havent met any other furries till about 3 or 2 days ago. I just knew i was a wolf thats pretty much it.

-Been a furry since july 7 2006
-Always willing to make a new friend
-I can't go online monday - thursday
- HAVE A NICE DAY !!!

Offline Radio 2

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Brown
  • Height: 5.6
  • Weight: Skinny!
  • Build: ?
« Reply #293 on: March 11, 2010, 01:27:01 AM »
Ive pretty much always been fascinated by the concept of an animal/human crossover type character. Never knew really what a furry was until like five years ago when I found out about sites like these. A site called Furlisophical is mainly what filled me in on the whole 'furry' scene.

Offline Moongaze

• The original fox hat
  • Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • My soundclick page
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox
  • Coloring: Red/brown fur
  • Height: 5' 8" in anthro form. 3' 5" in feral form.
  • Weight: 130 lbs in anthro, 20 lbs in feral
  • Build: Sleak, athletic build
« Reply #294 on: March 12, 2010, 02:57:18 AM »
Well...  I like to think everything I've done that involved animals grew in my subconscious.  I too played A LOT of Sonic the Hedgehog but I'm not 100% sure if that contributed at all...  I have always loved wildlife and nature (that probably has a lot to do with it).  Where I'm an east coaster I'm no stranger to wolves, foxes, and coyotes.  Which I have seen all three (both still living and road kill sadly  :'()  Then all that compiled in the back of my head, still unaware that furry fandom existed.  THEN I saw the episode of CSI where there was a fur convention and two of the people who attended the convention ended up dead (this was about a year and a half ago).  The way they portrayed the fandom was that the people that thought this way were screwed up in the head.  Me...  In my infinite wisdom thought it was a pretty entertaining episode and didn't discard it (I still know who done it!).  And again in my infinite wisdom I thought to myself no one group of people can that weird (except for pedophiles and PETA of course), then that's when I found the artwork and me...  I have very high appreciation for artistic vision.  I was astounded by the detail, creativity, and uniqueness (I still am!).  That's a talent I really wish I had, but I can't draw to save my life.  

Then of course I can't leave out that the native red fox is my favorite animal.  That most likely had the biggest impact over everything.  I have always been fascinated by that particular animal.  It's beautiful, majestic, and has very articulate vocalizations.  If you've never heard a fox it is such a. unique sound.  Words can't describe...

So all ^^this^^ sandwiched together to make me furry ^_^

I'm no stranger to furdom...  I've known what it is, it just took me a while to get 100% into it.  The internet and social networks definitely helped.  You can't be into something and have no one to talk to about it.  That's not healthy.

And that's my story B)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:59:50 AM by Moongaze »

Offline Lone-Wolf

• Noble Newt
    • Awards
  • Species: Grey wolf/Timber Wolf (canis lupus)
  • Coloring: grey and white fur, eyes: peircing yellow
  • Height: 5" 9'
  • Build: slightly lithe with good musculature structure
« Reply #295 on: March 14, 2010, 11:54:58 PM »
THEGRUNGE, Nirvana are possibly the coolest most awesome band ever! Whatever, nevermind

Offline vancouversarah

• Boisterous Bear
  • We can't stop here. This is bat country.
    • Awards
  • Species: Siberian/Bengal Tiger Mix
  • Coloring: White with black stripes, blue eyes.
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 140 lbs
  • Build: Slim but not fit; comes from being a city tiger.
« Reply #296 on: March 15, 2010, 02:53:46 AM »
I've always loved animals and animation. Furry fandom just seemed like a good fit! However, I was put off for many years after I first heard of it when I was 16 (13 years ago...yikes). Like a lot of people outside the fandom I had many misconceptions about it. For instance, I didn't know that it was okay to just be a fan of furry without having a deep, meaningful connection to a particular animal or animals. Furry is not something I became, it's something that I like. I'm also a Trekkie; again, not something that I became, something that I like. I'm also a Mistie.  ;)

And that ignorance I was talking about before? The ignorance I used to share? It has never been so frustrating to me as it is now! Some people have been nasty about furs in my company not knowing that I'm a fan. It seems so dumb to me that I should have to defend something that I like to my friends; best not get into it at this point I think though.
Sarah
Cira Altacia

Offline Blaze redwolf

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #297 on: March 15, 2010, 03:02:53 AM »
ok i finally remember what made me a furry. 3 years ago like i do now i was majorly into the environment and animals. I watch  animal planet alot. Wolves were my favorite animals. I studyed them a lot and even had dreames of being one. But it wasn't till last year that i knew about furries. All i knew was that deep in me i was a wolf. At that time i didn't know anything about anthropomorph or furries or any of that. You could say that i was lost. When i tryed to study about people like me i kept getting results that people believe that they are an animals soul trapped in the wrong body. That was me at the time. It still is me now. I found out about furries whill watching animal planets show weird true and freaky and they were talking about humanimals. Furrys were number one so then i knew who i was. I was a furry.

- HAVE A NICE DAY !!!

Offline Kodakk

• Boisterous Bear
  • OMG IT'S A BEAR!
    • Awards
  • Species: kodiak bear
  • Coloring: brown
  • Height: 6'2
  • Build: huggable
« Reply #298 on: March 15, 2010, 05:34:29 AM »
^ha, ive had anthro dreams too, but i didnt know what they meant at that time. my all time favorite was a dream i had where i was an anthro penguine. i was a penguine, but i still had arms and legs. i thought it was the craziest thing, but now realize it was just me telling myself i am a furry. :)

Offline Blaze redwolf

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #299 on: March 15, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »
i once had a dream that my brother was being beaten up and i turned into an anthro wolf and tore them up

- HAVE A NICE DAY !!!