The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How did YOU become furry? =)  (Read 125623 times)

Offline Tylus

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: slate fur, white eyes
  • Height: 6'4''
  • Weight: 180
  • Build: Slightly lanky, but muscular
How did YOU become furry? =)
« on: October 05, 2008, 04:49:41 AM »
I'm really hoping that this thread hasn't been started, filled up, and died of old age.  So, if I'm gonna get in trouble for this, I'm sorry!  =) 

Anyway, I'm very curious to know as to how everyone originally knew that they were a Furry!  How did you all get here?  I suppose I'll start...

It all began when I was about 1 or 2 years old, I was hopelessly addicted to the Sonic the Hedgehog games, and I played them all the time.  The more I played it, the more I began to dream of being like them.  It started off simple, just pretending I was Sonic or Tails, and my mom, being the wonderful woman she is and was, would often humor me and make me little props like rings and such to play with.  My horizons soon broadened, spreading to games like StarFox, and animated movies like The Secret of Nimh and Walt Disney's Robin Hood, and I would always pretend to be foxes, cats, hedgehogs... anything, really.  My imagination had no boundaries!  Then at about 12, I settled on a Chinese Dragon named Zal.  Then about three years ago, I took a great liking to wolves, and decided that I wanted to be one.  Thus, Tylus was born.  And only a week ago, I discovered the Furry community, and I love it here! 

So there you have it!  That's how I came to be here.  Hope to hear all of your stories!  =)

(Changed thread title just to avoid confusion.)
WingedZephyr
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:05:20 AM by WingedZephyr »
(({Tylus}))

Offline Manual_automation

• Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
  • Artwork is © Kalaharifox on DA (I did photo edit)
    • Awards
  • Species: Alaskan malamute
  • Coloring: light to dark grey with black on back and top of head, white underside (and lower head)
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: ~230lbs
  • Build: Fit
Re: How did YOU get here? =)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 05:04:32 AM »
I loved animals and especally wearwolves, i used to play games with friends where we pretended to be animals, then i started wishing i was one, eventually i met someone who drew anthro art and that got me into the dirty side of furry's (you know it, it starts with a Y ) and eventually that lead me to forums like this and i finally accepted it and identified as a furry.

"Fight fore hope and it is eternal, stop fighting, and it was never there." ^Happy to meet ya'^
~Andrew H.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 06:28:01 AM »
I've always loved animals/anthros, and felt more connected to them than people really, but I never actually heard of furries until I joined IMVU three years ago. I liked wearing the animal skins, and that eventually just led to where I am now.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 08:15:48 AM »
I've loved reptiles and dinosaurs my entire life, from when I could walk till now. When I was very young, about 20 or so years ago I formed a liking for one of my favorite raptor toys and I've been hooked ever since. Like you it started off as harmless child's play to the deep passion and love I have for them today. Wasn't till about a year ago I heard what a furry was, actually I was ill informed as I was told they were called yiffers. Imagine my fun looking on the net to find these yiffers only to find nothing but sexual content. My first opinion of yiffers (aka what I shouldve really been looking as furries) was that they were all extremely perverted. Not that it really was a big deal I am a adult.

When I finally came across the word furry it was like new doors opened up to me, I was no longer alone in the world and this site was my first social experiance labeled as one. But really I've had the passion my entire life, bearing the label doesn't change my love.

Offline SeiRruf IS, FurryLAE.

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 03:01:30 AM »
loved anthropomorphic cartoons and um. well the rest is kinda private. then BOOM! im a furry o.o

Offline Kipikipo

• Boisterous Bear
  • "Can chu gimme some cheesecake, please?"
    • Kipikipo's DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Bunny-Fox
  • Coloring: Red with a White underbelly, and White paws
  • Height: Anthro: 3'4'' Feral: 11''
  • Weight: Anthro 42 lbs Feral: 18.5 lbs
  • Build: Very Light
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 03:05:56 AM »
Google search clean furry chat.
Credits to Kiara034 on deviantART for the Avi

Offline SeiRruf IS, FurryLAE.

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 03:08:03 AM »
sooo, you became a furry by typing into google "clean furry chat?" interesting~

Offline Kipikipo

• Boisterous Bear
  • "Can chu gimme some cheesecake, please?"
    • Kipikipo's DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Bunny-Fox
  • Coloring: Red with a White underbelly, and White paws
  • Height: Anthro: 3'4'' Feral: 11''
  • Weight: Anthro 42 lbs Feral: 18.5 lbs
  • Build: Very Light
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 03:12:08 AM »
What? Sorry I was too lazy to read the first comment. =p From the topic title I assumed it meant how did I find this site. XD

*ahem*

Lesse... happened this year... Uhmm... I dunno, it sorta just happened. I've been obsessive about moogles and moved on from there. Originally, my fursona was just a moogle, but I decided I wanted to be a little more original and made up the fursona I had... There were other things throughout my life that kinda hinted at my furriness, but I didn't actually embrace the idea until after my moogle-obsession. =p Again, sorry for not reading the first post.
Credits to Kiara034 on deviantART for the Avi

Offline Mr. Meerkat

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Meerkat World
    • YouTube
    • Awards
  • Species: Meerkat
  • Coloring: Brown
  • Height: Average
  • Weight: Light
  • Build: Mascular
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 10:21:45 AM »
Me to i really loved the sonic games and i play them all time, i love Tails he is my faveourte charatcer.
I have been a furry all the time i just did not know there was a woed for it until a friend of mine told me a few years ago and that is how i got here, i just searced a forum and here i am  :D :)
Respect The Elders.
Teach The Young.
Cooperate With The Family.
Play When You Can.
Work When You Should.
Rest In Between.
Share Your Affection.
Voice Your Feelings.
Leave Your Mark.

Scyler

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 10:35:01 PM »
Me to i really loved the sonic games and i play them all time, i love Tails he is my faveourte charatcer.
I have been a furry all the time i just did not know there was a woed for it until a friend of mine told me a few years ago and that is how i got here, i just searced a forum and here i am  :D :)

I hear you on that one.

I really don't know how it happened. It definately wasn't from CSI. I guess google. I overheard a few people in the hallways talking about anthromorphism. I decided I'd google it and one thing led to another. Then, I just typed furry forum in google and made my way here. Glad I did too!

Offline Thaddeus Q. Wolfe

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Woo fun fun
    • Awards
  • Species: Grey Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey with a white front
  • Height: 5'-11"
  • Weight: 129
  • Build: thin and toned
Re: How did YOU become furry? =)
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 03:30:49 AM »
Some of you already know this, other new members don't but here goes...

I've always thought that werewolves and stuff were just the coolest and all that blah blah blah.

During all of middleschool they were all i drew and i got picked on for it, because i drew exclsively men, much name calling and ponytail *mine) pulling ensued. For two years it depressed the h 3 one one out of me and i was even contemplating suicide by my dads guns.  Wel.... I get chased into a library one day and i stumble upon a brian Jaqcues book, his story lifted my spirits to the pont were i almost got a ticket for battery (it was self deffense, come on) long story short, my discovery of the fandom saved my life and put a junior sociopath behind bars (he was going to knife me the next day, btw and got cauht with the knife)
Wow have things changed...

Pets name: Gregor
Adopt your own!

Guest_ThaddeusWolfe on imvu

Scyler

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 03:49:30 AM »
*facepaw*
How could I forget those books?!! I started reading them in 5th grade. I completely forgot! Gahhh!!! Btw, I've read the entire series at least twice. Plus, the only book I'm missing is High Rhulain. Oh, another thing. My brother got me hooked on the series and is himself, yet he doesn't like furries. I laugh at him.

Offline Kida Howlette

• Kuddly Kitten
  • To be Great is To be Misunderstood
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf
  • Coloring: white with grey patches
  • Height: 5' 6"
  • Weight: 160
  • Build: Built
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 03:28:50 PM »
hmm...i dont really remember how i became a furry....it might of been that i love the starfox games, disneys robin hood, lion king, ect...then i found the art, clean an dirty lol an began to take a likeing to it....i also saw the different conventions an saw how much fun they were having...and after all of that, thats when i realized that i was a furry :D
"If you live to be one hundred years old, I want to live to be one hundred minus a day, so I never have to live one day without you. - Pooh

Offline Bueller

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
  • Species: A ferret by the name of Bueller, or a white-tailed deer who goes by Mute.
  • Coloring: white(ferret), brown with white underfur(deer)
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: 165 lbs.
  • Build: Average
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 06:57:50 PM »
I always loved diffrent kinds of animals when i was a kid. Dogs always ran up to me and liked me. I played games like Crash Bandicoot and Sonic the hedgehog and Punky Skunk. It led to me wanting to be them of course and role playing as them. I eventually found out a love for manga and read some like Fruits Basket and Wolf's rain. I LOVED it. I made up my own characters and role played as the. I had a few characters  like the skunk anthro Ynx and my favorite fursona Elk. I then one day was watching yu-Gi-Oh the abridged series and heard Joey calling himself a furry while ewaring a fursuit. I looked it up on google and then I saw EVERYTHINg related to fuuries and furry lifestyling. Hehe now I am a proud fur.

Offline Tylus

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: slate fur, white eyes
  • Height: 6'4''
  • Weight: 180
  • Build: Slightly lanky, but muscular
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 02:56:23 AM »
Oh my heck, Redwall ALL THE WAY!  I would always role-play my own Redwall Abbey adventures with my friends hahaha, it was great fun!  =D  I totally forgot about those too!  The first one I ever read was Marlfox.  That got me hooked on the series.  I've read Martin the Warrior at least 20 times, and I think I'm gonna read it again!   :)  *picks up the book and starts reading*
(({Tylus}))