The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How did YOU become furry? =)  (Read 127056 times)

Offline Dewpawz

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Some gay dog
    • Fur Affinity
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Species: Dalmatian
  • Currently: Eating TV dinner
Re: How did YOU become furry? =)
« Reply #1095 on: November 05, 2015, 07:02:24 AM »
I'd say the game that got me into furries would be Mass Effect. Still being one of my all time favorite games, I played it day and night for almost 2 months straight. As I progressed through the games I noticed that I started to take an odd liking to the Turrients and the Krogen. Just so happens a little bit later when I was looking for random Mass Effect wallpapers and came across a sort of furry/Mass Effect cross over. This is what sparked my interest in the fandom. I did a little research and found out that I wasn't alone and there was a whole fandom for things like this. Now I'm here.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:13:06 AM by Dewpawz »

Offline Sheehan

• Vibrating Furby
  • Roses are beautiful because the they have thorns.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Snowshoe Hare/ Mountain Wolf
  • Coloring: grey,light brown, white
  • Height: 5' 5"
  • Weight: 180
  • Build: Fluffy
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Bloop
« Reply #1096 on: November 08, 2015, 04:35:52 AM »
I have a friend who's been a long time furry. So it mostly started as him getting me to draw his sona for him. I visited a few sites and I really enjoy the art and the time people put into their characters. It's almost like there's a whole other world out there. I mean, I haven't had a REAL fursona before Sheehan. Not for lack f trying. I just couldn't connect with them the way I wanted to. Then, out of some strange dream, I met Sheehan. Of course she didn't have a name in my dream but it was like... I don't know how to explain it. It took me a month to get her drawn out right and give her a proper background. I ended up using a bit of my grandmother's real life experience in it, but it worked for the species she's a cross of.So here I am. Officially a fur fan.

Offline Dante Zairou

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer
    • Awards
  • Species: Folf
  • Coloring: Grey&white with black primary markings and purple secondary accent markings on arms , legs and back, dark purple eyes
  • Height: 7'4"
  • Build: Large, trim & muscular
  • Currently: Devouring souls
« Reply #1097 on: November 16, 2015, 04:50:18 AM »
by totall accident, i saw the art for the first time mixed in with a Google search for wolves and fell in love with it and then stumbled across FA and have loved the community ever since

Offline Arctagon

• Avid Aardvark
  • Species: Dutch Angel Dragon
  • Coloring: White and blue
  • Height: 182 cm
« Reply #1098 on: November 18, 2015, 10:04:26 PM »
How did I become a furry? Well it is kindof a funny story X3

It started with a liking for foxes and wolves that started back around.... two years ago. The whole story is kinda fuzzy to me at the moment but I do remember that the liking for foxes started with the fox standing up in the song "What does the fox say" XD I thought it wsa super cute and funny, so I just started googling foxes and wolves. From there I was introduced (With the help of an unfortunate google incident involving Ponies.....) to anthropomorphics.
It took a very short time after that to find out about the whole furry community and culture.

Im not yet open in real life about the fact that Im a furry, so I guess openly Im just a "normal" wierd person (if that makes sense X3 )
My second fursona is Salex the fluffy fox :3

Offline Cial

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #1099 on: November 19, 2015, 12:50:30 AM »
Well, I became a furry when I was browsing you tube... I came across a video that discussed in detail why there were even furries, after the video was done, I pretty much lost it because I liked the idea of being a furry, but at the same time I was afraid to be one because of how they are commonly treated.But, I discussed the idea of it with my friends, and they told me to look into it more, so I started to watch fur suiting videos and I became more confident with the idea.
 Now I don't know why I just had the sudden obsession to be a furry, but I think it was because I used to always act like a dog and make my stuffed animals walk on two feet and talk... I even acted like my dog was singing by putting a music player next to him... So, yeah...

Offline Booplesnoot

• Eager Elephant
  • Changing my yesterday is to wish my life away.
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Satin Rabbit
  • Coloring: Brown and White
  • Height: Six Foot Two
  • Weight: 200 Lbs
  • Build: Stocky, not fat, but not fit either.
  • Currently: On the great road called life.
« Reply #1100 on: November 21, 2015, 09:28:56 PM »
Redwall series. I'm in college and ordered all of those books for nostalgia. After reading a few of these books around the age of 9, I began imagining myself as a half human rat like in Redwall. Eventually I changed to a rabbit and it stuck. I was a furry before I even knew what a furry was!  XD Nowadays I find myself wishing the technology was available to make it real.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 10:16:34 AM by oldkid1940 »

Offline Keldorai

• Vibrating Furby
  • Marten in Space!
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: American Marten
  • Coloring: brown and orange
  • Height: 4'5"
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: Feeling green with noobdom
« Reply #1101 on: November 23, 2015, 12:16:21 AM »
Corruption of Champions, and I say that with shame. Heh, before my interest in furrydom I was into BDSM (and still am) but I never was one to enjoy anything ordinary, so I guess it was just a matter of time I got adventurous enough to explore.

Offline Rho'Syn Ilwynog

• Foxy Fox
  • Being my 1337 self
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Augmented Fox
  • Coloring: Red fox pattern, neon green hair, Augmented arms, augmented eyes
  • Height: A little taller than usual
  • Build: Medium
  • Currently: Lurking
« Reply #1102 on: November 23, 2015, 05:15:30 PM »
Long story short? When I was a kid I went to a Star Wars rpg with some older kids at a college and the DM's computer started playing a screen saver with a bunch of furry star wars characters. I asked him what that was and they said to go home and google furry. I was hooked!

I grew up on loony toons, Redwall, and the like, so Furry was just something that came super naturally and still does!

Offline JaxTheDogMatt

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: I Dont Know, Just Took A Test And I Am A Furry... :/
« Reply #1103 on: November 23, 2015, 11:53:01 PM »
   Personally I still don't know if I am a furry or not. I do like drawings of wolves and find it really cool how people get to dress up as them and stuff, but I only signed up because most online quizzes said I was over 70% furry.

So what do I do? My friend took the tests and hes one too apparently. I never really thought of myself as a furry, but never looked down at them. I sort of envied them actually. Its amazing how they don't car what other people will think of them. While I don't care either, there is just something holding me back from admitting it to anyone, friends or family. I still don't even know if I should take it seriously or not, that I am one. I never dressed up as a furry or anything, but I don't know what to do.  @.@  So i am a little confused so if someone could tell me if I am one or not, or what I should do, or who to tell, that would be great. And I'm not saying I don't want to be one, I just dont know if I should accept it or not. :/ HALP!

Offline moonwolf101

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Work Until Your Idols Become Your Rivals
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Brown fur with a light tan underbelly, dark brown hair that hangs over her right eye, has blue eyes
  • Height: about 5 feet
  • Weight: 106.9
  • Build: thin, female build
  • Currently: meh
« Reply #1104 on: November 26, 2015, 12:48:35 AM »
   Personally I still don't know if I am a furry or not. I do like drawings of wolves and find it really cool how people get to dress up as them and stuff, but I only signed up because most online quizzes said I was over 70% furry.

So what do I do? My friend took the tests and hes one too apparently. I never really thought of myself as a furry, but never looked down at them. I sort of envied them actually. Its amazing how they don't car what other people will think of them. While I don't care either, there is just something holding me back from admitting it to anyone, friends or family. I still don't even know if I should take it seriously or not, that I am one. I never dressed up as a furry or anything, but I don't know what to do.  @.@  So i am a little confused so if someone could tell me if I am one or not, or what I should do, or who to tell, that would be great. And I'm not saying I don't want to be one, I just dont know if I should accept it or not. :/ HALP!

If you want to be a furry then BOOM. your a furry. You don't have to stand on the very top of everest and scream it out to become one. If you like it, and want to be apart of it then all you do is say your a furry, and your a furry. No secret password or handshake.
  • Avatar by: lineart by Rits-Blitz
"we do have a lot in common.
The same earth, the same air, the same sky.
Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of what's different... Well, who knows." - Meowth

Offline Maycky-zug

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Porcupine/Wolf-Puercoespin/Lobo
« Reply #1105 on: November 26, 2015, 03:22:39 AM »
Well... All started when I was 12 years old. Far away were I born and grow up. In my school it was a guy. He wasn't my friend bud I don' have any choice so... I tried to be friends and in one moment he tells me to search the word "Yiff". When I search it on Google. I was in shock... And I desolate 2 thinks in my head. :/

1. Hate with all my soul the furry think >:(

2. Curious and love for the art

I hate all the furry stuff because that, but in other hand I start to practice more my draw XD
It was an internal fight for 5 years, then I search on internet about the real meaning of been furry. i was to starting to like it. So i search for community in México bud there no were a lot. : S

And i thinking about my childhood.
Favorite Games: star fox, Banjo kazooie
Favorite movie: the lion king, bugs
Cartoons: "la vida moderna de Roko", cat dog, SpongeBob.

In my adolescence
Happy three friend

Then I accept my love to this kind of expression. I want to participate with the fandom  ^_^
Sorry my bad grammar, I do my Best  :'(.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:36:32 PM by Maycky-zug »
you look really nice when you smile.

Offline Brownie

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Furret
  • Coloring: Natural w turquoise eyes
  • Build: Chubby
« Reply #1106 on: November 28, 2015, 01:58:09 AM »
I think a lot of my furriness comes from being very shy, and so I've always found it easier to spend time with animals than people. The Lion King was my favorite movie growing up, along with ones like Fox and the Hound and the Goofy Movie. I just find animal/creature characters more appealing in comparison to human characters. Plus, I've always loved stuffed animals and as I collected them over the years, I developed a continuing story with them as anthropomorphic animals who live in a castle together.

Also had a crush on Falco from Star Fox in elementary school.  XP

In terms of actually joining the furry fandom, I actually had a negative view towards it for a long time, due to the common misinformation that's been spread around. Ironically I learned more accurate information from a video called I Hate Furries. It actually mentioned the arguments for what's positive about being a furry, and talked about fursonas. I loved the idea of fursonas as soon as I heard it and found the fursuits really appealing. It looked like fun and a friendly community so I wanted to join in, too. It's been a little difficult to shift my perspective on the fandom after so long but I've really enjoyed most of what I've found so far.

Offline Sylvie

• Avid Aardvark
  • WUN WUUH WUB WOOOH
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Pokemon
« Reply #1107 on: November 30, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »
For me, I just always loved fuzzy, anthro characters in games, cartoons, and the like.
It just kinda blossomed when I found other fans of such characters online and started getting involved in the community.
Sylveon Approved

Offline FinnegansWake

• Avid Aardvark
  • Auribus Teneo Lupum
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf/Great Pyrenees (hybrid) Mythical-type background
  • Coloring: Dark colors mixed with lights
  • Height: Large, dire-wolf size
  • Weight: I'm made of stardust, so you would be surprised about my weight
  • Build: Skinny, but built
  • Currently: Having a sick day from school :(
« Reply #1108 on: December 06, 2015, 10:33:27 PM »
Well for me, I am very new to the fandom, but I was fascinated with animals - mostly wolves, canines, and large cats - and eventually I got into the concept of being a werewolf/skin walker, which I liked, and became a little obsessed with. At that age (like, 4-5th grade?) I decided that I was a wolf. When I was in 7th grade, I knew a young furry and really got into the fandom that way, as I found out there was a special place and community for people who felt the same way. This is my first venture (really!)  into the community as a furry myself and not just as a supporter of the lifestyle. 

B) so far, everyone is amazing and extremely friendly. I'm very happy I ended up "coming out" and finally stepping into the fandom after sitting at the edge looking in for a very long time  :P
Finnegan in the sky with burning balls of plassss-ma
~ Promoting intelligence and togetherness within the fandom ~
+Are you a furry who is also involved with the society of Mensa? Contact me!+

Offline DarkHound

• Avid Aardvark
  • Being weird is just a side effect of being awesome
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf (feral)
  • Coloring: Grey with blue eyes in normal form, icey blue with emerald green eyes in angel, and pale red with yellow eyes in demon
  • Height: 4"7
  • Weight: 134 lbs.
  • Build: REGULAR-athletic. ANGEL-lean and strong. DEMON-much muscle
« Reply #1109 on: December 10, 2015, 02:45:57 AM »
well ive always loved Spyro. well one day i got the bright idea to cross him with a wolf (well cross CYNDER) with a wolf and the outcome kinda became my fursona for a while. the when my email became what it was, the first part was used as a rp character so i decided to use the secnd have to form a new character: Darkhound. then i kinda slowly started sinking into the furry fandom
  • Avatar by: Me, which is why it sucks XD
"I will no longer stray from my path. As I stray, people die. If fighting is my sin, then I'll take it upon myself"
-Takumi Inui

Pet's name: Chase
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!