The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Orientations  (Read 6268 times)

Offline Dessum

• Friendly Flying Wolsky!
  • Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Expect the worst and hope for the best.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • My IMVU Homepage!
    • Awards
  • Species: Grey Wolsky (wolf-husky) with white feathered wings
  • Coloring: Different shades of grey, black hair, red eyes, wings are white
  • Height: Approx. 180cm
  • Weight: Approx. 11 stone
  • Build: Strong, quite muscular, nifty wings
  • Reference: [link]
Orientations
« on: April 12, 2008, 04:44:37 PM »
A quick thing I decided to jot down.
I hope its OK to put it here.
It has a lot of tex format changes etc, but Im not gonna bother putting them all in

Orientations
            (Nick/Fursona's name:)    Dessum

A note from the author:
I am not a homophobe or biophobe (Hates gays, hates bisexuals). In fact I even support Gays. I dis-like all homophobes and biophobes. What I am writing are MY VIEWS. ALSO, I DO NOT MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE WHO READS THIS.

Introduction:
So we all know Orientations. Gay, straight, Bisexual. The three main ones. There are a few others. Such as Pan sexual. But for now I'm just going to discuss the main three. Gay (Also called “Homosexual”) Is the attraction of the same sex. Straight, is the attraction of the opposite sex. And bisexual, is the attraction of both sexes. What I'm going to talk about mainly now, is the hatred of the non Straight orientations.

The writing:
Roughly, one if four persons are gay or Bisexual. Most people -I hope most people- just leave these people alone and get on with their lives. Some may even be good friends with them and be straight. But some people hate them or are scared of them. I asked a Homophobe why he hated gays. He replied, “Because it's wrong!”
 How is that wrong? I say this to all bio/homophobes out there. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING LIKE THIS.
 It makes me SICK, the way humans can hate other humans just because of their orientations. EVERYONE is different! Everyone is unique! So, someone is attracted to the same sex as them; Accept it! What's wrong with it? Yes, if a homosexual rapes another of the same sex, that most likely makes them a bad person. But not all gays are like that. The same goes for bisexuals. Its how they feel! I continued interviewing this Homophobe, he told me that-if the chance arose- he would beat up a gay or bisexual. This disgusted and horrified me. Although I tried not to show it. As he very likely would and could do this. I asked why, and he replied it was to make them change to become straight. That made me feel slightly sick. Beating up someone isn't going to help! You think its going to make a gay/bisexual become straight? No! Its their life. Its how they feel. ACCEPT IT. If you cant stop hating them, just leave them alone! Its not that difficult! Yes, you can hate someone for their beliefs, like terrorist groups. But you cant hate someone for their orientations. There's nothing wrong with being gay or bisexual. Just live with it. Hating them isn't going to help anyone, including yourself. I have been shocked to find out that so many people feel this hatred about these people. Its like saying, “I hate black people because their black.”
 Its horrible. So. If your one of these people, please just think. Just think about all the reasons why you feel like that. Why its wrong. Why you hate them. Think about all of it.

Afterword:
I thought about reading this after a good friend told me he was a homophobe. I had know him since I was around the age of three. I asked how much. He said things just like this:

“All gays should die”
“If all gays died, the world would be a better place”
“If [my brother] was gay, he wouldn't be my brother” [ ] name left out
He now dislikes me because I told him my best friend is bisexual.
Which upsets me most.

That was what made me write this. I hope you can now see that hating people because of how they feel is wrong.
I hope that I might have even changed some minds.

Thanks for reading this.

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
Re: Orientations
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 07:04:57 PM »
Just a thought, but I don't think as many people hate gays as much as people who simply do not understand or say stuff because of social situations.

As for not understanding, its hard to accept something you don't understand and might be considered out of the oridinary. Such as the furry fandom, there are tons of people who give us trouble because of our passion for anthros, be it just a social passion or even sexual attraction, its weird to people and they "hate" on it because of that.

As for social situations, its easier to go along with friends then to outright oppose them in fear of your own rejection if your friends/family have a thing against gays. Also gay has such a impact on regular everyday happenings in term of the use of the word. For example, a gamer dies in a multiplayer game, they might say "This is gay" While they might not be directly refering to sexual preferance (They are just saying it sucks really) The word is associated with something bad, so when others say the word they automatically assume something bad. While this might not seem like a good reason or a likely reason, its actually very valid. Such as a parent making a passive remark about blacks, over time the child might associate something bad about blacks subconsciously.

Personally I got nothing against Gay people I say whatever makes em happy, just like I want people to accept that anthro makes me happy

Offline Dessum

• Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • My IMVU Homepage!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 08:07:09 PM »
Im not saying that everyones homophobeic. Im just saying it to make it clear for them.
And yes, I understand that Trolls hate the Furry fandom becuase they think its weird...whatever.
But in a way, orientations are more....SHOULD BE more easily accepted than Orientations.

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 08:56:25 PM »
I was just saying, people who act hobophobic might not actually be by choice. They just kinda fall into it socially. After all these days its more socially acceptable to be a homophobe then it is to be openly gay. Which is a shame that a person be who they are sexually without criticism

Offline ¿ Jesse Pawman ?

• SILENCE! I BAN YOU!
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Top 100 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Poster
  • purrrrrrr...... here, have a cowlick :3
    • My blog.
    • Awards
  • Species: human
  • Height: six foot one inch
  • Build: round
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 09:57:03 PM »
It's gotten better.

Back in the earlier part of the twentieth century, many countries sent you to prison for being gay.
MySpace

"when life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have the whole world wonder how you did it."- unknown

I HAVE TO CONSTANTLY REMIND MYSELF I'M A GROWNUP AND IT'S JUST THE INTERNET.

Offline Dessum

• Velvety Vole
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • My IMVU Homepage!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 10:04:38 AM »
*Moans* I didnt know it was THAT bad!
But at least its over

Offline Vince the Dark

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online
  • I have found my light, so let him come to me...
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Black and Red
  • Height: 175 cm (5' 74")
  • Weight: 62 kg (139 lbs)
  • Build: Muscular...ish
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 08:20:12 PM »
The gay community has had rough times but it`s getting better. Even though people are becoming more approving about the gay/bisexual people in the society it`s still annoying when people use the word gay or lesbian in a wrong way. I hear it sometimes to often and it really makes me angry. It shouldn`t be so hard to come out of the closet with whatever it is concerning, being gay, bisexual or furry. They shoudn`t be blamed for what they are but congratulated that they gathered the courage to tell it to others.
At least there is the gay pride festival which is being held in many countries in the summer, which makes it much easier for many gays, lesbians and bisexuals.(hopefully)

Giruuuuuu!

Offline ¿ Jesse Pawman ?

• SILENCE! I BAN YOU!
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Top 100 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Poster
    • My blog.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 11:01:01 PM »
However, pride festivals are not always that safe. There have been lynchings after festivals have ended and people are leaving them.
MySpace

"when life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have the whole world wonder how you did it."- unknown

Offline Dr. Strange

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 10 Poster
  • "Break free of your chains and quell in fear"
    • Q @ FurAffinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Feline-lupine hybrid with wings
  • Coloring: red and black
  • Height: 5'4
  • Weight: 126
  • Build: average
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 11:33:52 PM »
I may end up spewing some nonsense stuff out my hole of a mouth here but listen for a minute or two. It takes a brave person to tell ANYONE if they are gay or bisexual. My mother for instance, does NOT like gays or bisexuals at all. I have tried time and again to explain to her how I feel and that I will nto change but she bristles and starts with her Christian teachings. (No offense meant to Christians or any other religions) I listen to her because she's my mother but she doesn't understand a person feels how they feel. After arguing with her for several months last year, I stopped trying to help her understand why I was attracted to males and females and ignored the bible she thrust in my face when someone brought it up.

You see, she's a Christian and believes what she believes. I am not a Chriatian, I don't know what religionn I am closest to. So I feel homosexuals and bisexuals are free to have an attraction to ehichever sex they choose. I am a bisexual and have been for the past year. My friends all know I'm bi, they don't really care. Most of the kids in school don't think I am only because the girls really aren't worth the time. I may be restating some of the things you guys have said previously but, I firmly agree that everyone is entitled to believe what they like, be attracted to whomever they are attracted to, and practice whichever religion they feel suits them. And the bull about homosexuality being a sin, is just that, bull%^&$. Not everyone is Christian so it's wrong, in a sense, to make everyone bend to fit your lifestyle. And if I'm rambling about nothing, I apologise.

That is where I stand and I'd be ready to prove my point anytime, anywhere. Thank you for taking the time to 'listen' to my spew of words I doubt will change your mind.
I go by many names; Mistress of the Abandoned; King of the Shattered; Duchess of the Damned; Nightcatcher; and Dreamwatcher.
but I am untamed and therefor
Your Worst Nightmare
~~Dr. Stitches "Sahara" Strange~~ experiment from D13 -------->
Pet's name: A734RF50G
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!

Offline ¿ Jesse Pawman ?

• SILENCE! I BAN YOU!
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
    • My blog.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 03:04:55 AM »
*applauses sammie*

I feel sorry for you mother for being so closed minded. I think she really needs to go to a tolerance class or something.
MySpace

Offline Nintai Tamashii

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 10 Poster
  • Why yes, I did draw this crappy avatar ^__^
    • Awards
  • Species: Feline-Cat
  • Coloring: Black
  • Weight: 100lbs
  • Build: Tiny, thin and small chest
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 03:14:01 AM »
I am heterosexual(straight), I know one person who is lesbian and she seems really nice. I would NEVER judge a person by their orientation. I, like most people in my school, are tolerant of people who are gay or bisexual. I'm lucky to live somewhere orientation is not a problem. We even have a gay straight alliance at my school. I really have no idea why any one would want to beat someone up just because of who they are attracted to. If they are a nice person why does it matter right? That's why I can't understand why there are still people who are afraid of or want to harm gays and bisexuals. It's pointless right?
"We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt, but how we survive is what makes us who we are." ~ Survive by Rise Against

Offline ¿ Jesse Pawman ?

• SILENCE! I BAN YOU!
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
    • My blog.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 10:46:21 AM »
I red a webcomic once and it had a killer ganna kill a homosexual man because the homosexual man tried to solicit him while they were in a food place. The homosexual man said "HATE CRIME HATE CRIME!" but the killer said "I'm not going to kill you for what you are, I'm going to kill you for who you are."

So not all homosexuals are good people. Remember that. Those few who are like that are just annoying.
MySpace

Offline Dessum

• Velvety Vole
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • My IMVU Homepage!
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 06:16:57 PM »
Yes. Thats all very well.
But most people just hate them becuase of who they are...

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 06:39:44 PM »

Well just like any kind of person Gays have their bad people who pose a horrible representation of them as a whole. And its usually those people who are noticed before any of them. I think you know the kind I'm talking about, the stereotypical kind that talk kinda like the stereotypical black woman.

I've met a few cool gay people throughout my life that were perfectly normal. But every once in a while you meet this one that you wanna punch because hes oppressive to just about everybody in a mile radius. Its usually that guy who lingers in your mind, and people form bad opinions because of it.

People tend to remember the bad.

Offline Dr. Strange

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 10 Poster
  • "Break free of your chains and quell in fear"
    • Q @ FurAffinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Feline-lupine hybrid with wings
  • Coloring: red and black
  • Weight: 126
  • Build: average
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 08:34:17 PM »

Agreeable to an extent. Some just find the idea of what gays/bisexuals think about disgusting. My arguement is that gays find straight sex/relationships repulsive in their own so we can't really take offense with them until we step in their shoes, right?

Well just like any kind of person Gays have their bad people who pose a horrible representation of them as a whole. And its usually those people who are noticed before any of them. I think you know the kind I'm talking about, the stereotypical kind that talk kinda like the stereotypical black woman.

I've met a few cool gay people throughout my life that were perfectly normal. But every once in a while you meet this one that you wanna punch because hes oppressive to just about everybody in a mile radius. Its usually that guy who lingers in your mind, and people form bad opinions because of it.

People tend to remember the bad.

Well said. We do tend to remember the bad over the good and I wish it were otherwise but we are human. We make mistakes and we do stupid things. If I may, a lot of others treat me differently because of the fact that I'm a girl (which annoys me to no end) and I accept that I won't have the kind of friendship up here that I did with my guys down in Florida, but I won't accept that I have to be treated like an alien around the guys just because I don't act like a girl. That's just irritating and rude to me. (Rambling again, I know.)

*applauses sammie*

I feel sorry for you mother for being so closed minded. I think she really needs to go to a tolerance class or something.

I know. Her and my father both don't understand me.  Sadly, they tell me it's wrong to love a woman because God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. Which gets on my nerves but they're my parents, I can't really argue with them since they seem to have all the knowledge and I don't know a $%^&  thing about bisexuality and homosexuality. (As if. They probably know less than I do. At least I listen when people try to explain things to me instead of bristling like a $%^& halloween cat all the time.) Sometimes she makes me feel like I'm HER mother and she's in that rebellious teenager state instead of the other way around.
I go by many names; Mistress of the Abandoned; King of the Shattered; Duchess of the Damned; Nightcatcher; and Dreamwatcher.
but I am untamed and therefor
Your Worst Nightmare
~~Dr. Stitches "Sahara" Strange~~ experiment from D13 -------->
Pet's name: A734RF50G
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!