The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Foam density question  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Ves

• Avid Aardvark
  • hiya folks!
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: isopod
  • Coloring: Green
  • Build: Cuddly
  • Currently: Chilling
Foam density question
« on: August 14, 2023, 11:47:09 AM »
I've been thinking about buying some upholstry foam to make my first fursuit head! But one think ive been confused about and haven't been able to find information on is what foam density to use. @.@

The site im going to use (efoam.co.uk) has soft, medium, firm and very firm (and 6/9lb reconstituted foam) and i'm not sure what to chose.

Anyone have any advice?
  • Signature art by: me :)
-the boingo (xe/xir)

Sonas: Lumi - teal house cat | Beepy/Beewee - black house cat | Iso - green isopod | Juniper - blond house cat (it’s a little crowded in here isn’t it)

"Look at you. Sailing through the air majestically. Like an eagle. Piloting a blimp." - GLaDOS (Portal 2)

Offline Alessia Starfurr

• Vixen of the Stars
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • BEHOLD THE POWER OF MY...Rubber sword?
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Folf (Hybrid Fox Wolf)
  • Coloring: Dark Blue, Light Blue
  • Weight: WHA!?!?
  • Build: Slim,fit.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Still raiding open fridges and freezers.
Re: Foam density question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 05:37:06 AM »
would it help any seeing a fursuit head? i have one  but the foam is hard to see
Uhh..Lord I didn't train to be a pilot. Tell me I don't have any more flying to do today.........................  Amen. ~ 'Dutch' Halo3 ODST.

We all go through peroids of darkness. In such times we can turn to the Lord, but it's good to have friends ~  Joshua Graham , Fallout New Vegas, Honest Hearts.

When people are lost they turn to the man who  acts like he knows the way out,  when the truth is he knows less than them. ~ John McMillan Original War

"Never Interfere With an Enemy While He’s in the Process of Destroying Himself" -Unknown.

"I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes" ~William Shatter, Airplane II 

Credits: Alesssia pictures by JackThorn/Tomas13

Offline Ves

• Avid Aardvark
  • hiya folks!
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 11:58:04 AM »
would it help any seeing a fursuit head? i have one  but the foam is hard to see

it might yeah thanks!
-the boingo (xe/xir)

Sonas: Lumi - teal house cat | Beepy/Beewee - black house cat | Iso - green isopod | Juniper - blond house cat (it’s a little crowded in here isn’t it)

"Look at you. Sailing through the air majestically. Like an eagle. Piloting a blimp." - GLaDOS (Portal 2)

Offline Alessia Starfurr

• Vixen of the Stars
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • BEHOLD THE POWER OF MY...Rubber sword?
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Folf (Hybrid Fox Wolf)
  • Coloring: Dark Blue, Light Blue
  • Weight: WHA!?!?
  • Build: Slim,fit.
  • Currently: Still raiding open fridges and freezers.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 11:39:04 PM »

this last one is one i found at walmart

Uhh..Lord I didn't train to be a pilot. Tell me I don't have any more flying to do today.........................  Amen. ~ 'Dutch' Halo3 ODST.

We all go through peroids of darkness. In such times we can turn to the Lord, but it's good to have friends ~  Joshua Graham , Fallout New Vegas, Honest Hearts.

When people are lost they turn to the man who  acts like he knows the way out,  when the truth is he knows less than them. ~ John McMillan Original War

"Never Interfere With an Enemy While He’s in the Process of Destroying Himself" -Unknown.

"I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes" ~William Shatter, Airplane II 

Credits: Alesssia pictures by JackThorn/Tomas13

Offline ZaraRaEchidna

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • The last of the echidnas
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Mobian Echidna
  • Coloring: Hot pink
  • Currently: WAKE UP, BIMMY!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023, 08:54:59 AM »
Foam! You want 'the green stuff'. Medium density upholstery foam - if you're using the 'Bucket Method' (https://pupdates.matrices.net/post/51490538463/tutorial-building-a-fursuit-head-with-foam) - you'll need 1/2" thick foam.

On the site you're talking about, you would want to go for 'Medium foam sheet' - the one which says 'available in pale green'. The Greeeeen Stuff. WE GOTS FOAM!

Happy Suiting~  ^_^

ZARA-RA!!

Offline Ves

• Avid Aardvark
  • hiya folks!
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2023, 06:38:16 PM »
Foam! You want 'the green stuff'. Medium density upholstery foam - if you're using the 'Bucket Method' (https://pupdates.matrices.net/post/51490538463/tutorial-building-a-fursuit-head-with-foam) - you'll need 1/2" thick foam.

On the site you're talking about, you would want to go for 'Medium foam sheet' - the one which says 'available in pale green'. The Greeeeen Stuff. WE GOTS FOAM!

Happy Suiting~  ^_^

Thank you for the help ^_^

can’t wait to get some green! (the foam and the money to get it (dumb joke :p))
-the boingo (xe/xir)

Offline ZaraRaEchidna

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 02:10:07 PM »
How has the 'green stuff' been going?

And, here's something for Furries in the U.K who might end up reading this... If you are in the Greater Manchester area, Bury Market has a fantastic long-withstanding stall which sells foam - they have lots of 'the green stuff' - including large offcuts for cheap, the perfect size for making footpaws, and digitigrade legs. If you're in the area, definitely have a look-see.

ZARA-RA!!

Offline Ves

• Avid Aardvark
  • hiya folks!
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 07:18:07 PM »
Sadly nothings come of it quite yet, but once Christmas comes around I’ll hopefully have the money, and have figured out the shipping situation, I’ll be able to get some and start workin on that  ^_^
(I have found a couple sewing places near me that sell foam, granted only small chunks, but it’s something to consider)

And oo if I’m ever over in that area I’ll definitely check it out  :o !
-the boingo (xe/xir)

Offline ZaraRaEchidna

• Eager Elephant
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2023, 07:04:14 PM »
Good luck! I had used to store it in the garage, at my parents' house, when I still lived there. These days, studio apartment with my partner, we've nowhere to put the stuff!
We had purchased ours from the local upholstery store; but this is more suggestible if you have a car at your disposal. You don't want to be carriyng a meter of rolled-up foam on the bus  XD XD

ZARA-RA!!