The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Most disappointing (but not necessarily bad) movie you've watched?  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Jenac Azaela

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • If I am pretty, you are gorgeous~
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic fox
  • Coloring: White fur, icy blue eyes
  • Height: 175 cm
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Holla holla get dollar
So I'm sitting at the library and catch a glimpse of the covers of two movies I've watched, both very disappointing in their own way. So I was curious about what movies you furballs found disappointing, even if the movie wasn't bad as such.
Do try not to spoil too much, but I will not bash you if you do spill something. Y'all read comments at your own risk.

Offline Nova Starpaws

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • I'm not a dog.... :c
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • The Help Desk
    • Awards
  • Species: Anthro Jakon (Jackal Dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: Nebula Scales, white eyes, dark blue hair.
  • Height: 7' 8"
  • Weight: 125lbs
  • Build: Sleek
Re: Most disappointing (but not necessarily bad) movie you've watched?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 01:18:14 PM »
Easy. The Dragon Movie

Offline L. Jay Echoes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • I have a pigasus, too.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Pig/Bat/Devil
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 99 lbs
  • Build: Short and trim
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: refreshingly busy
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 12:54:55 AM »
So I used to like Tim Burton, not because the movies he made were particularly good, but because I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the year I moved to my current hometown. Now, I had high hopes for both Alice and Wonderland and Frankenweenie. After seeing either one, it took me a while to admit that, yeah, they kinda sucked. Wonderland because the music was boring, the story was boring, the script was boring and the whole thing was just a generic fantasy movie using Wonderland characters (ESPECIALLY Johnny Depp) as a marketing gimmick.

Frankenweenie was a disaster because (spoilers duh) it had no narrative flow. Victor has no friends other than his Dog, so when his dog dies, that should have forced him to interact with his friends, but no, all he does is undo the instigating moment (which is a literary term for the moment that sets off the actual story once the characters and setting is established) and spend the rest of the movie hiding it until he's caught, then it's generic heroism and generic chaos. Honestly, it being black and white and stop-motion offered little to impress. Not to mention, I didn't think Weird Girl deserved to have her own pet yanked from her. I didn't give a damn about Victor, Sparky, Elsa (I think that was her name) or Persephone. Them all burning with the windmill would have made a much more interesting movie. So much for you, Tim Burton.
  • Signature art by: Me again
What did the toilet say to the bath tub?

"I'm hungry for an apple."

Offline Alistair

• Resident pink saber
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Smilodon Populator
  • Coloring: Strawberry, cream, and black
  • Height: 7'2"
  • Weight: 350lb
  • Build: Stocky
  • Currently: Fortnite dancing into the inevitable future
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 03:32:27 AM »
Probably The Babadook. I get it, things can get turbulent when someone in the family dies or falls ill weather it be mentally or otherwise. But the blatant neglect/child abuse/etc. that went on really didn't portray for me something horrific. Even when the actual threat was present, it never really felt like a horror movie. It just felt like some kind of weird exposure to abuse that we all, mentally ill especially included, didn't need to see. Overall it could have been so much better. It was a huge let down since I'm a sucker for a good horror movie.
Royal Saber floof mane the first

Sir Sabering the first

Offline Jenac Azaela

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 06:30:12 PM »
So the two movies I was referring to in the OP are "Wolf Children" and "Whisper Of The Heart". Both are disappointing to me in their own way.
With "Wolf Children", my main gripe is how Ame just decides to straight up abandon his mother. And when she tries to find him and falls sick, he just carries his unconscious mother to a dry place and leaves again without a word. Eff you, Ame. At least say goodbye.
With "Whisper Of The Heart", it's the cover art and snapshots on the back of the cover, as well as the description, that makes it sound like the movie will feature "The Baron" as an important character, whereas in reality he has less than half a minute of active screentime and for the rest of the movie is occasionally in the shot as a figurine.

Offline L. Jay Echoes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • I have a pigasus, too.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 10:22:28 PM »
One letdown that I forgot about was the Pete's dragon remake. Now, I realize that the original is pure unadulterated corn on the cob, but it was a huge influence on my personal growth... which probably is why it ended up being such a disappointment. I expected too much out of it. Elliot's design was just kinda... yeeesh. Green fur, no thanks. The car crash at the beginning was kinda stupid. I mean, Pete looks absolutely awestruck to be tumbling around mid-air.

Also (Unpopular opinion warning) I know Zootopia is often heralded as the Bible of furry sensibilities (or at least the best unintentionally furry-themed movie), and on balance, it is the most creative universe centered around the animal kingdom. Unfortunately, I saw it in theaters with my Dad when it came out, and it was another movie that rubbed me the wrong way but took me a while to admit it. I didn't think anyone's voice matched the character he or she portrayed. Also, Nick and Judy's personalities really grated on my nerves (especially Judy, who I thought was very uppity and pretentious). I found myself rooting for Mrs. Lamb, whatever her name was, and "Try Everything" isn't really that great a song (although Fox and Peppers did an impressive cover of it). Also, when was arresting the biggest racist ever a solution to ending racism? Dumb, dumb ending. Bleh... bracing myself for the backlash I'm gonna get over this post.

Offline Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf-Tiger
  • Coloring: Black and Silver
  • Height: 6'11
  • Weight: 182 lbs.
  • Build: Fit and muscular.
  • Currently: Sore back. Sore feet. Sore everything.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 10:30:38 PM »
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

The series, as a whole, is very unliked, but I've loved them all, for the most part, despite a lot of faults. HOWEVER, with how they ended the previous film, AND the intro that the director and Milla Jovovich gave at the beginning of the final movie, my heart sank and I was thoroughly too disappointed to enjoy any of the rest of the movie. Enjoyed it a little more on home video, but it's just so disappointing because the way the ended RE: Retribution, I was expecting to see that all-out war in Washington DC.

Also, RE: Retribution is also on my list for disappointing because the ending scene was emphasized IN THE TRAILER!!

Offline Jenac Azaela

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 06:28:37 AM »
[...]
Also (Unpopular opinion warning) I know Zootopia is often heralded as the Bible of furry sensibilities (or at least the best unintentionally furry-themed movie), and on balance, it is the most creative universe centered around the animal kingdom. Unfortunately, I saw it in theaters with my Dad when it came out, and it was another movie that rubbed me the wrong way but took me a while to admit it.
[...]
You have my support on this one. It did not live up to the hype.

Offline L. Jay Echoes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • I have a pigasus, too.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 02:44:49 PM »
You have my support on this one. It did not live up to the hype.

Ah... that was quite unexpected. Refreshingly unexpected.

But I have another one. Split. [Possible spoilers] I didn't get what was so great about the twist ending. I mean, I like twist endings when there are substantial clues as to what the twist will eventually be. You may hate Signs for its over-inflation of a known hoax, but at least the climax of thatmovie was built on previously established plot elements. Split's "twist," on the other hand, just looked like a desperate throwback. "Hey remember this movie? You liked this movie with this character, right?"

I'm not going to say that was a marketing gimmick, because it wasn't. I was drawn in because I thought it would be psychologically thrilling. It wasn't. It was lame. The acting was also painful to watch. Not because it was bad, but I couldn't see James McAvoy switch from personality to personality and not feel claustrophobic. And not in the "Oooh I'm excited to see how they escape" sense, more in the "gee, if I had to act like that, I'd lose so much of my mind I'd lose pieces of other peoples' minds too" sense.