The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Religiosity research  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Ara Av-Toa

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Currently: Abandoned profile
Religiosity research
« on: May 09, 2018, 08:30:33 AM »
I'm rather curious about just how many of the forum's users are religious. I do not intend to claim that any religion is "less" or should be seen as such, and therefore I ask you to handle this topic with all respect. I allow you to discuss your beliefs and ideas here, but I want you to avoid arguing and diminishing if possible. Nobody should force anyone to vote or come out- keep in mind this can be a very fragile subject for some people and I wish for anonymous voting to be completely possible.

As for me, I'm a Christian and all the world is allowed to know it. I got baptised on Sunday 29 April, but I do not feel like there has been a massive change in my life since then. I'm open for any questions or discussions, but you can't change my mind over Who I follow.

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
Re: Religiosity research
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 10:40:05 AM »
I don't subscribe to any particular belief, but I don't have a lack thereof either.

I should point out that atheism is not a religion:
https://www.atheists.org/activism/resources/about-atheism/
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 10:51:19 AM »
I'm Atheist-Agnostic.

Which basically just means Atheist.

The full explanation is:
  I can't be certain whether one or another religion is true or not (and perhaps this is something I could never be certain of), however given my understanding of the world I choose to believe that it is significantly more likely that no religious story is true, than that one is true.

I still consider it a belief, I can't prove that no spirituality exists or not, but in the same way I don't think anyone could prove that, its simply outside the range of science. Until someone figures out a way, this is the stance I'll take.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Ara Av-Toa

• Influential Ibex
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 06:26:16 AM »
I should point out that atheism is not a religion:
https://www.atheists.org/activism/resources/about-atheism/
Well, it's not exactly a "religion" as most people would indicate one indeed. However, it is a belief system and in that aspect, it is belonging to the list.

Offline Pyrus

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: White
  • Height: 6'01
  • Weight: 265
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Meh
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 07:32:43 PM »
I'm rather curious about just how many of the forum's users are religious. I do not intend to claim that any religion is "less" or should be seen as such, and therefore I ask you to handle this topic with all respect. I allow you to discuss your beliefs and ideas here, but I want you to avoid arguing and diminishing if possible. Nobody should force anyone to vote or come out- keep in mind this can be a very fragile subject for some people and I wish for anonymous voting to be completely possible.

As for me, I'm a Christian and all the world is allowed to know it. I got baptised on Sunday 29 April, but I do not feel like there has been a massive change in my life since then. I'm open for any questions or discussions, but you can't change my mind over Who I follow.
I'm a Penacostal Christian, former asatru pegan. Got saved when I got threw in jail and had to set for 3 months, and (in my experience) i had a vision of the old gods u used to follow being brought low. Ex: Odin was blindfolded, those was withered to skin and bone, Loki was frozen in a block of ice. To completely simplify it.
And to comment on the not feeling a big change in your life because of the baptism thing, as my church explains it. You need two baptisms. One being of water and the other of the holy spirit. (Dosnt matter what order) and as long as you do this. And truly believe you are saved and the lord did it threw Jesus. That should change. (Preaching mode disengaged) hope that helped.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Brigand

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/Coyote
  • Height: 186cm
  • Weight: 85kg
  • Build: Slim/slightly muscular
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 01:10:01 PM »
I'm an atheist but I don't have a problem with religious folks. I'm not gonna convince them and they won't convince me.

Offline Ara Av-Toa

• Influential Ibex
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 04:28:34 PM »
First of all: I find it very encouraging to see you give each other the space to talk about this. Much appreciated!

@Pyrus: I appreciate your addition and I know why your church would think that, but I believe something else. I'll explain the what and why from my POV: I feel like I practically already made the decision to devote my life to God beforehand and the bapthesism was mostly to confirm and testify. Besides, I don't see any bapthesism as "a miracle that immediately and drastically changes your life". In addition, the terms "receiving the Spirit" and "bapthesised in the Spirit" are synonymous to me.
I hope this clears things up and you don't pick it up the wrong way.

Offline Pyrus

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 05:10:11 PM »
I would never take offence, not unless u attacked lol. But the baptism in the spirit thing. They are synonymous.

Offline Ara Av-Toa

• Influential Ibex
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 05:14:42 PM »
Good to hear you won't take offence and ok, at least we have that in common. Question remains, did this sufficiently explain it?

Offline Pyrus

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 05:49:01 PM »
It did. But on the topic of not 'feeling different. It's odd. For some they feel it right away others, it's like filling a bucket with an eye dropper. Just keep praying. That's what helps me. But I found the lord in jail. So I'm sure it's different circumstances as well

Offline Ara Av-Toa

• Influential Ibex
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 06:32:14 PM »
All we can say for sure is that God goes a different way with everyone.
I don't want to ruin things, but I think we should wrap this discussion up.
I don't want to discourage others to post.

Offline Pyrus

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 06:57:49 PM »
As you wish.:)

Offline Dragonheart

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 03:01:00 AM »
Other - Pagan soft polytheist. Essentially, the concept of "all gods are one God," or the idea that every name/face that's been used for divinity is an aspect or facet of the same Divine energy and entity. (I usually call upon my Goddess because I connect to Her easiest, but I've been known to call upon specific gods and goddesses for specific purposes.)

Offline Pyrus

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 04:27:32 PM »
If I may ask who do you worship?

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 09:38:11 PM »
Anna, you're not the only one. I remember well when I got baptised. All that happened at that moment was that I felt more myself, if that makes sense. It's not like everything suddenly changes now that you're baptised. It takes time for things to change. Baptism is not a magic act or event. Looking back I notice a few differences in how I approach the topic of Christianity from when I was baptised three years ago, and it's still a work in progress. :pout:

Changes tend to come gradually, sometimes it goes relatively fast and sometimes it seems like nothing is happening for months. This counts for both Christianity and other areas in my life. Of course, sometimes there are sudden changes overnight, but those tend to be exceptions. Just saying: it took over 2.5 years after my baptism to confirm that Christian animism is indeed the path I should take with 100% certainty. Sure took long enough!

Bottom line is that you're likely gonna need patience. I don't know how much, and you may surely ask God to give you a sign, but you'll probably need it. Sometimes you just need to wait, or sometimes you're required to just take your time. You can't rush everything. I know it can be annoying (really, I've been there). But, I believe sincerely with all of my heart, that if you stay patient and keep learning and searching, sometime you will find something. I do not know what, nor do I know when. But trust me, sometime you WILL find something. :)

I wish you the best of luck, and may God's grace shine over you on your journey and protect you.

Michen