The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Why is the forum ambassador's role specific colour gold?  (Read 5658 times)

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
Why is the forum ambassador's role specific colour gold?
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »
About the forum ambassador.

The new role that the staff overlords have come up with, wich are known users granted the title by staff members, who are, amongst other things, supposed to welcome and help newbies into the forum, and be a friendly speaking point for people to go to, incase they feel too intimidated by the actual forum staff.

Don't get me wrong, I think it was a good idea all from the start, but why make their colour gold?

My primary concern with this goes to new members. Just look at this:

That's a pretty subtle diffirence, isn't it? Especially since all staff members have very vibrant colours to make them clearly distinguished from other used, I think that it may be entirely likely for a new member to miss the distinguishment for the ambassador's role, completely.

For a role wich is intended to be an adressing point for new members, it just doesn't seem like smart idea to make the primary thing that distinguishes forum ranks (The colour given to the user's name) almost identical to that of the regulair.

And, lastly, this is more of a stylish nitpick, but nonetheless important, I believe.

Forum ambassadors are primarely made with the thought of making the forum more fun to everyone.

I realise that this maybe subjective, and that there are already quite a lot of colours defining forum ranks out there, but come on. Gold isn't a very fun and creative colour, is it?

You guy's can do better than that! :P

Right?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:24:23 PM by A brisky little challenger »

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Why is the forum ambassador's role specific colour gold?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 10:46:40 PM »
I think you make some fair points. The debate of colors we had was mostly between bronze, orange, and pink, as those are the colors not already used.

Baud, any recommendations for a different color?

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sherwood Fox
  • Coloring: Like a fire in a blizzard
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: She flies now!?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 12:01:01 AM »
Orange was used previously and it always looked distinct to me, but I'm sure that would vary between individuals. One issue is that members name are orange/brown in some views but light purple in others, so there are two colours to avoid clashing with.

Cyan and turquoise are easy shades of blue to be distinct from but once blues get darker they become harder to read (which is why we avoid it for moderation text) but could be possible.

I rather like pink but it's not to everyone's taste, so I think we were reluctant to force it on anyone.

Tweaking (or would that be Zephyring?) the shade of bronze is another option in play.

But yes Brisky, you raise a good point which is more important than it might seem at first glance, so we do want to get it right.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 01:22:48 AM »
The funniest thing is when the staff team were discussing Forum Ambassador the BIGGEST point of discussion turned out to be what colour they were.

Some said a light green but others felt it looked too much like a local mod, some said a tan colour but others said it looked ugly, bronze was the one we came up with but I can agree it does look pretty similar to a normal member. Gold would be too close too yellow which is a local mod, Orange is OK cause that's what the IRC moderator used to be when we had them, but that might also not look too distinct from local members. Pink was suggested and I think it was kinda a last resort option, it doesn't really clash with anything but it's also not a colour that comes to mind when you think "Forum Ambassador". Teal might be another option, but as some said it can be hard to read on a black background (especially for me cause I use a Teal theme-set).

All given Pink is probably the best option, what do you think of that colour brisky?
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 02:29:28 AM »
I say orange would be good. I used to be an IRC mod, and I remember the particular shade of orange being enough to stand out from normal members without it sticking out too much.

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 09:13:46 AM »
Regarding to pink, it would be a very suitable colour for the FA role, but as Trixie said, it may not be to everyone's likings. Although the problem could possibly be alleviated a little bit by picking the proper shade, I think that it still wouldn't be ideal.

Something that I've recently noticed, however, is that there only seems to be one single local moderator, at this time, versus the four regulair moderators, and two global moderators.

I don't know if this is simply due to a timely lack of local mods, or that the local mod role is starting to loose it's place, but whatever it is, if for some reason the local moderator role get's removed, I think that that exact shade of green would be perfect for the FA role.

If it doesn't, or will not be at any time soon, teal or some other shade of blue would be very good options, indeed. But that then raises the problem of it becoming harder to read.

I'm shure that this problem could in turn be solved in various ways, perhaps by outlining the letters of the user's name, or putting a standard background colour behind the name, that makes it easier to read, but that does again add up as extra effort.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 11:46:24 AM »
Local mod is here to stay don't worry, we're just not looking for more local mods at this current moment (so they've dwindled)
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 12:00:51 PM »
Just throwing it out there, perhaps pink could be the new local mod colour and ambassador adopts green?

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 02:19:45 PM »
I don't think that that would be a good idea, as it'd be a really confusing thing to do.

Especially with how the staff has such a nice red-green-blue formup, as it is now, it would just be plain weird to take the green away from the staff, and replace it with some mixture of red and another colour, just because the colour would fit a new rank, wich isn't even supposed to be staff, a tiny bit better.

Making the FA role a diffirent shade of green than the LM would be an idea, I think.

The main concern is their distinguishness from regulair members, and not their distinguishness from other staff, after all...

EDIT:

But staying on throwing ideas out there, what about making the FA role purple?

I feel like it's a suitable colour, with the only problem being that donators are arleady purple. But, perhaps now that donations are covered in the trophy / rewards / achievement thingy, the colour could be removed...

Just throwing that out there, aswell.

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 02:45:54 PM »
Ambassador (bronze)
Ambassador (preset "orange")
Ambassador (approx. IRC mod orange)

Huh, I remember the IRC mod orange sticking out a little more. The preset "orange" in the color drop-down on the post page may be better? It's not quite the yellow of Moderator but sticks out from the dull orange of the regular member text. It's pretty much a bright version of the bronze, actually, in my opinion.

Better yet, we can just change the normal member color. :P
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 02:55:14 PM by Evnamishko »

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 03:05:01 PM »
Better yet, we can just change the normal member color. :P

Mind blown...

Evnamishko is best bear!

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 03:06:31 PM »
Make all the members pink in full-on opressive regime style! :P

Offline Garmy

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • Is A Dark Funeral Fan
    • Awards
  • Species: Sergal
  • Coloring: White and Grey
  • Height: 1.75
  • Weight: 70 kg
  • Currently: Listening to Music As Allways
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 08:26:47 PM »
why not make the color white,none have white
Angels and Demons
Reach down for me
Angels hand opens
As I walk away
As I walk away from them
holding my head high

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 09:32:18 PM »
Guest accounts are white.

Silver/grey could maybe work tho?

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 04:52:15 AM »
I like the bronze; the resemblance to a member really emphasizes the community aspect of it.