The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Expressions that don't exist in English  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Jenac Azaela

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • If I am pretty, you are gorgeous~
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic fox
  • Coloring: White fur, icy blue eyes
  • Height: 175 cm
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Holla holla get dollar
Expressions that don't exist in English
« on: January 24, 2018, 01:50:49 PM »
This is a topic for those around the globe who natively speak something else than English. There are plenty of expressions (words or phrases) that work in their own language, but don't translate to one that exists in the English speech (at least not literally). I'm curious as to which you furs know. Simply write it out in your own language, translate to English as close as you can, and then explain. Simple as that!  ^_^

I'll start with a few I know:

Brødhue = bread head = Someone who is dumb or unintelligent
Å ha støv på hjernen = to have dust on the brain = Being a neat freak
Klisterhjerne = sticky brain = The ability to learn very easily

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
Re: Expressions that don't exist in English
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 09:17:53 PM »
I'm gonna write down the Dutch word "gezellig" here. because it's not even so that if you translate it's compounds to english, it will somewhat reveal it's meaning. But, it truly hasn't got any english translation that will have it make sense.

If you litterally translate it, you will get "companyishly" in english.

In Dutch, the word is used to mention the feeling of having a good / pleasant time with other people, like friends, family, or even strangers in the bus...

And, then there's also the thirteen diffirent words for rain we Dutchies have, wich don't have any translatable compounds, at all.

Knowing the weather here, I think that that's just hilarious!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:14:18 PM by A brisky little challenger »

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 09:54:33 PM »
Goesting, a Flemish word that also has no translation to any different language, but desire/Craving comes close yet it doesn't cut it.
In Belgium it seems we have alot of words to describe activities that relax and for desires to relax.

Offline lightstone

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • The happy ol jolly me
    • Awards
  • Species: tarwe tiger
  • Coloring: the colors of wheat bread
  • Height: 180cm
  • Weight: somewhere between 50 and 60 kg
  • Build: skinny but healthy
  • Currently: feeling really sorry
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 05:13:56 AM »
buiten westen slaan - slap out of the west - it's just if you slap some-one so hard that they become sub-contious
not a signature

Offline TenOfSwords

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Life has been going waaaaaaaay to fast recently.
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Badger
  • Coloring: Black/white
  • Height: Tall-ish
  • Weight: Very light
  • Build: Skinny
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 05:56:49 PM »
The Spanish word "grima" is used to describe the emotion that is felt when you hear sounds such as nails on a blackboard, or a knife scratching a plate.

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 06:10:25 PM »
Skadeglädje, Swedish = Taking pleasure/finding enjoyment in the suffering/failure of others. Sort of exists in English borrowed from German, in the form of "schadenfreude".

Which means that my favorite saying of "Skadeglädje är den enda sanna glädjen" (Schadenfreude is the only true happiness) also doesn't exist in English.
(I use that one as a joke for when people goof up something silly, like spilling their drink and I can't help but laugh because it's so silly. Just harmless accidents. I'm not -that- evil.)

Offline Jenac Azaela

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 11:26:15 PM »
Pålegg - "on-lay" - Non-specific term for something you put on bread, such as peanut butter, cheese, ham or jam.

Offline lightstone

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • The happy ol jolly me
    • Awards
  • Species: tarwe tiger
  • Coloring: the colors of wheat bread
  • Height: 180cm
  • Weight: somewhere between 50 and 60 kg
  • Build: skinny but healthy
  • Currently: feeling really sorry
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 04:58:07 AM »
the dutch words "kop" and "bek", they mean an animals head and an animals mouth and in my past teachers used to say it was rude if you said something like that to a human, but does that logic aply to furries?
not a signature

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 07:33:19 AM »
Yes.

It's actually already rude to use those terms towards animals, as they are meant to be diminishing terms for use in mentioning animals wich are, according to the folks that made the Dutch language, supposed to be less than humans.

Since furries are kinda on the same level as humans, as a species, it would be rude to use those terms to them.

@Jc

"Beleg", The Dutch word for "anything you put on bread".

Really funny how much Dutch and Norwegian / Swedish resemble each other.

Offline Jenac Azaela

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 08:43:32 AM »
@Brisky
Scandinavian (Norwegian, Danish and Swedish) and Icelandic are all North Germanic languages. The three Scandinavian languages are very very similar, so it's not overly difficult for the three to have a conversation.

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 12:06:19 PM »
Kop isn't really considered rude here in Belgium  :P
In regards to "beleg": depending on where you are: it's either everything you put between your sandwich OR just the non-meat food you put between your sandwich
Muil: a word for mouth, but depending on the region here you are it's either a word for mouth OR an insult  :P

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 12:15:03 PM »
Dutch words for mouth:

-Muil
-Waffel
-Bek
-Kanes
-Klep
-Snater
-

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 01:05:06 PM »
Lokaltidningsbesvikelse: "Local newspaper disappointment"  = A word to describe the sometimes petty "news" articles that pop up in smaller local newspaper.
Like, "Mike found a piece of sawdust in his pack of cereal: "This is gross and unacceptable and my whole day is ruined!""
(And it's not just a short sentence or two of Mike being disappointed either, it's a full-feature article complete with images and Mike really spilling his guts about how terrible the experience was.)
In short, just people getting into the papers for really pointless reasons to acquire dat 15 minutes of fame. Rather inofficial, but I love it all the same.

"Den som sig I leken ger får också leken tåla" (He who agrees to play a game will also have to stand by it) = If you get yourself involved with anything well and fully aware of the T&C's, you're in no place to start whining once things aren't going your way.
Comparable to "You've made your bed, now you have to lie in it."
Actually more of a proverb, but whatever. I already typed all of it down.

Ankdamm: "Duck pond" = Refers to a small close-knit community where everyone knows everyone. Oftentimes used to jokingly refer to Finland-Swedes since supposedly all of us know each other.

Svenskatalande bättre folk: "Swedish-speaking better people" = Often shortened to just "Better people". Another joking way of referring to Finland-Swedes (usually by Finnish-speakers) because we're all supposedly extremely wealthy, haughty and high-born too!

Att bära hundhuvud: "To wear/carry a dog's head" = To take the blame/shame for something.

Gubbdagis: "Man/husband day care" = The shops/places husbands/men like to frequent/escape to when they've been dragged out on shopping trips.

Träskalle: "Wood-skull" = A stupid person.

Dumhuvud: "Stupid-head" = Another stupid person.

Korkad: "Something with a cork in it" = Stupid.

Skämskudde: "Shame pillow" = The feeling of watching something that's just so embarrassing/cringy/painful to watch you get a strong overwhelming urge to just hide hide your face in a pillow.

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 01:29:09 PM »
Lokaltidningsbesvikelse: "Local newspaper disappointment"  = A word to describe the sometimes petty "news" articles that pop up in smaller local newspaper.

The Dutch have somewhat of a word for that too. "Komkommernieuws". (Cucumber news)

"Oplawaai", or "Opdonder". Used to mention either a sudden, but relatively harmless, hit / kick, or getting zapped by electricity.

Offline Jenac Azaela

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 05:51:47 PM »
"Den som sig I leken ger får också leken tåla" (He who agrees to play a game will also have to stand by it) = If you get yourself involved with anything well and fully aware of the T&C's, you're in no place to start whining once things aren't going your way.
Comparable to "You've made your bed, now you have to lie in it."
Actually more of a proverb, but whatever. I already typed all of it down.
We have the same thing in Norwegian, except we say "Hvis du vil være med på leken, må du tåle steken" ("If you wanna join the game, you must handle the roast"). It's phrased like that just for the rhyme.