The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: I don't wanna go to the Millitary Academy!  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Emtile

• U.S ARMY
  • Donator
  • Chatty Cheetah
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Iguana/lizard
  • Coloring: Yellow scales with orange eyes
  • Height: 5 ft 8in
  • Weight: 138lbs
  • Build: Lean
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Was doing stuff
I don't wanna go to the Millitary Academy!
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:37:05 PM »
I havent been on here as frequent as of late because of being more focused on school. The reason being, i want to go to collage sometime in the near future.

My grades are in the gutter partly because i'm not understanding the stuff they are teaching, and mostly because i'm just lazy and don't care.  That is until my step-mom poped my bubble saying that if i don't do well in school, then i will get shipped off to the Military Academy.

Now i have to care and do the work no matter what i think or how i feel. But it might be too late for me because the grades for the report cards finalize at the end of the week and i have a D in Math (like i do every year) and it's almost impossable to bring it up in time before the report cards come out. (And i also owe money to the school for some reason)   

So i'm busting myself, doing everything i can to get my grades up because i don't want to fail again and go to the Military Academy. I will die if i go to the Military Academy.

So if i disapear for a while. You will know where i went.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:39:18 PM by Emtile »
  • Avatar by: KeahiNimbusLeHyena (Love you)

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
Re: I don't wanna go to the Millitary Academy!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 06:59:58 AM »
idk what to say but i can offer this:

military isnt that hard if you do what they say i know this been to one here on a open day and talked to about 5 or so instructors main issue: people that just dragged on with a simple thing causing everyone issues.

a simple rifle reload drill there was 1 person who always dropped their magazine causing everyone else to suffer a 2.4km march
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 07:51:16 PM »
Emtile... You know what would makes a big diffirence?

If your teachers, and menthors knew that you were trying to get your grades up...

Now, I don't know where you live, but as far as I know, teachers are pretty much there to help you get those papers, you're busting your ass off for. It's actually litterally their job to help you...

I know you may be feeling embarrased of your bad grades, and low effort, that you've been showing them for the past years, or you maybe a little tense to the idea of seeing them, since they might've gotten a little pissed at you sometimes.

But, unless some kind of really messed up situations are applicable, I think it'd really be a good idea to just ask your teachers if you could talk to them for a bit, and then just admit to them that you've messed up, that you just realised that you need to do this for your future, and especially, that you've now seen your mistakes, and are trying everything to pull it back together again.

You'd be surprised how willing an actual teacher will suddenly be, when you ask them for help, and actually show that you're putting that help to good use!

Try it out, talk to people about it, ask your teachers what you need to do to still be allowed to pass the semester, and if you really are giving it a 100%, then I'm shure you'll make it! Just hang in there!

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 09:03:40 PM »
I'm assuming your stepmum mentioned this well after the fact you had already gotten bad grades and it's near impossible to get passing grades on your report?

Eitherway, I would focus one way or another on getting good grades. It's true: Education is terrible, even in well-developed countries.
All I think you can do is to show you've been getting good grades (or at least better) ever since she mentioned that. That should show some form of discipline, but moreso your capability. That it isn't that you don't want to. You want to get good grades, you want to pass and get into higher education. It's not your goals that are stopping you, but the challenges on the way you don't know how to deal with them. You're a kid, you're supposed to learn from your mistakes and get guidance. If you're failing your classes even if you want to succeed, then it's not (only) on your end.

But I'd indeed inquire everyone I could to dfind out what I can do to get a passing grade, that's a good thing to do.
As said, though, even if you can't get a passing grade anymore, but you have been getting good grades even since your stepmum spoke to you, then try to show that. (On paper if you can.)

Good luck, Emtile.

If your teachers, and menthors knew that you were trying to get your grades up...

Now, I don't know where you live, but as far as I know, teachers are pretty much there to help you get those papers, you're busting your ass off for. It's actually litterally their job to help you...
School is a business and it is run like one. Even if teachers (which is a big if in a lot of cases) want the best for their students they still have to conform in most cases to what the school (company) tells them to do. Which often leads to them having to work more and more with less and less pay for it (hence why the recent strikes of a lot of teachers). They just cannot put in any time into students even if they need this time.
They have to take on more students a class and have to spend more time in other things than teaching kids properly. There is no time for independant teaching either. Even if the teachers want that, they can't. School is a business, especially nowadays. Thus it is run like one:
Push down costs and earn the most.
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 10:44:58 PM »
School is a business and it is run like one. Even if teachers (which is a big if in a lot of cases) want the best for their students they still have to conform in most cases to what the school (company) tells them to do.

Yeah, I've heard the "school is a business" thing from a lot of actual teachers, and this may vary from country, but exactly because school is a business, the school needs to do it's best, to keep it's graduation percentage as high as it can possibly be...

Imagine being a parent, and having to choose a school for your child. Will you choose a school with a 40% ratio, or with a 95% ratio?

Apparantly, plenty of parents will choose the latter...

Oh, and in the NL, schools are lawfully obligated to assist students as long as they are registered at the school, but, I'm not shure if that applies to many other countries too...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:46:48 PM by A brisky little challenger »

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 07:29:34 AM »
School is a business and it is run like one. Even if teachers (which is a big if in a lot of cases) want the best for their students they still have to conform in most cases to what the school (company) tells them to do.

Yeah, I've heard the "school is a business" thing from a lot of actual teachers, and this may vary from country, but exactly because school is a business, the school needs to do it's best, to keep it's graduation percentage as high as it can possibly be...

Imagine being a parent, and having to choose a school for your child. Will you choose a school with a 40% ratio, or with a 95% ratio?

Apparantly, plenty of parents will choose the latter...

Oh, and in the NL, schools are lawfully obligated to assist students as long as they are registered at the school, but, I'm not shure if that applies to many other countries too...

I can assure you that kids graduating doesn't necessarily make the most money, especially in the Dutch education system.
I feel this might be going rather off-topic,however, as this isn't going to help Emtile with his problem. So I think if you would like to talk about it further to just PM me about it instead :)

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 08:14:03 AM »
Well, yeah, but what I think is important for Emtile, is that he at least tries, and doesn't give up...

Even if the teachers won't help him, simply letting them know that he's trying to pull his stuff straight, could just make a big enough diffirence.

At the very least, see if you can talk to a teacher or menthor if it's still possible to pass the current semester, and what you'd have to do to make that happen...

Oh, and Emtile, just incase you haven't been around to read this untill it's definite that you're going to the army, see if you can talk to some people who are already / have been in the army, so they can maybe give you some advice on what not to do. Given that you live in the US, I don't see that it would be hard to have a sensible talk to someone about how to set your mind.

Like Sh. already said, the army doesn't have to be that bad. You could easily make it bad, by holding up a general attitude of "I don't want to be here", for that's only going to make people around dislike you.

I think in, the US army, the best mindset would be just to do what you're told, and learn what you're taught, have enough self confidence to not get picked on and have a big sense of humour to make some friends!

If you keep that up, it shouldn't be all that bad!

(Oh, and remember that there's diffirent branches in the US army, that may revolve less around the actual killing. Like vehicle mechanics, field medics, or something like that. I've heard that they're a lot more fun for people who don't really want to fight, and the experience you gain hitting tanks with a wrench might just help you get some sort of job afterwards!)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:16:17 AM by A brisky little challenger »

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 07:10:38 PM »
Well, yeah, but what I think is important for Emtile, is that he at least tries, and doesn't give up...

If you read my post I'm saying exactly that. In fact, even if there is no way to get a passing grade, there is still the option of showing one has been doing a good job from a certain point.

Emtile:
I was thinking, maybe you might be worried you have to go into the military straight afterwards? If that's the case: As far as I'm aware, going to a military school or academy doesn't necessarily mean you go into the army. (Plus don't you need to give your own consent to join the army anyways over there?)
If you do go there (that is if they accept you, as I feel they just don't accept just anyone either), I think they might figure out where exactly the problem(s) lay with regards to your way of studying. You mentioned yourself it's part of laziness, but usually that doesn't simply come from just anywhere. There are accounting factors that leads people to 'be lazy', which is often not laziness but actually being demotivated. And if they are teaching you stuff you don't understand and you asked them to explain it in a different way, then obviously they're not doing a great job either.
That's a rather common problem with a lot of students, or should I say: That's the main issue with the educational system nowadays.
Unfortunately, since they might not understand your problem -and they should figure it out but won't-, it's up to you to find out where it exactly is going wrong and how to deal with it. Is it a lack of stricter planning? Would you understand it if someone was going through the material with you one-on-one?
What do you need to get better grades?
And what would be the solution to that?

I think those are things you can definitely figure out, it's not as hard as it might sound. If you need help with this, let me know. I'll be happy to help :)

Offline Emtile

• U.S ARMY
  • Donator
  • Chatty Cheetah
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Iguana/lizard
  • Coloring: Yellow scales with orange eyes
  • Height: 5 ft 8in
  • Weight: 138lbs
  • Build: Lean
  • Currently: Was doing stuff
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 01:36:01 AM »

I'm currently trying to talk with my teachers to figure out what to do to.

So far they said that during power hour(a free hour for students to get lunch and do whatever) i should come to thier classes and talk it out to find what i need to do to get my grades up, or come before school even and do extra credit
assinments.

Going over the material one-on-one with my teachers is helping me  understand it a little more, and i've talked with my parents to see if i can get a math tutor(because math is the lowest grade) and so far they have found a couple people that they think are right for me and can help me the most.

For better grades the solution would be to focus as much time as i can squeeze into studying and talking with my teachers to find out what to do to bump up my grades, take every opportunity i can, study my tail off, and do all the extra credit I can get.

Also my parents cut my hair off to get me started.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:40:55 AM by Emtile »
  • Avatar by: KeahiNimbusLeHyena (Love you)

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 10:04:53 AM »
I'm glad to hear that you are trying your best, it shows drive. I'm also glad to hear that your teachers have several options open for you.
And even if your parents cut off your hair, which I'm assuming you didn't want (ugh .-. ) they still helped you to find a math tutor.

Of course, study your hardest, but be sure to take (small) breaks in between. Schedule everything (yes, even schedule your breaks). Be sure you can end every day with having done everything you set out to do (if not more) and just game, read a fun book, draw or whatever you like to do before heading to bed.
In other words: Make sure you have something to look forward to for having worked so hard :)

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 03:11:45 PM »
And also, REALLY don't forget to think about your future!

You do not want to be the guy, a few years later, realising he could've already had a job, and a nice relaxed place for himself to do fun stuff! Whenever you're feeling like you can't/don't want to keep up anymore, just think about how it's either working really hard for a few months, or working only slightly less hard for the entire year!

But, most of all:

Good luck, m8! :P

Offline Rob_Silvermyst

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • King of Furgasta
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Furiffic Profile
    • Awards
  • Species: Archangel Wolf
  • Coloring: Silver/White (fur), White (Wings), Gold (Eyes)
  • Height: 6ft
  • Weight: 200 lbs
  • Build: Tone
  • Currently: Tea with a fascinating stranger is one of life's true delights.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 11:11:22 PM »
As a veteran, the military is not as bad as you may think. Yes, it is hard and physically demanding in training and such, but get yourself into the medical field or a tech field, chances are good you won't see combat, or if you do, you'll be in a green zone. You'll meet plenty of others that you can forge strong friendships with. And, if you stay in the military for 20 years, you get one heck of a pension. I myself served for 9 years in the Army with the 10th Combat Support Hospital as an enlisted. Officers make more money, so you might want to look into becoming an officer through ROTC rather than going in as an enlisted. Or you can also look into doing your time as a reservist/national guard.

Still, it helps to first identify how you learn best. Are you more of a visual learner? More of someone who learns through hands-on practice? Or more of a book-reader? Develop study skills based around how you learn best.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 11:13:29 PM by Rob_Silvermyst »

Offline Solomon the Solitary

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Subtle but bold.
    • Awards
  • Species: Chinese/Western Dragon Hybrid.
  • Coloring: Night black with a royal purple underbelly.
  • Height: Over 7'8.
  • Weight: 300-365 pounds.
  • Build: Muscular build and a fairly curvy body.
  • Currently: Feeling confident.
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 04:17:01 AM »
For whatever it's worth, I do believe your step-mom is bluffing to get you anxious and light a fire under you. Reassure her that you are trying, maybe try to ask her for help to show you care about your grades. Ask around for help, most schools offer a tutor program of sorts. If you're really needing help - I'll help you as well, just send a DM!