The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The idea of a "real" anything.  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Corran Orreaux

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
The idea of a "real" anything.
« on: October 04, 2017, 02:57:51 AM »
Tell me if you've heard this one before, "This person/band/thing isn't a real artist/singer/writer/song/game/movie/etc. Cuz personal reason!"

I was listening to Billy Idol's Rebel Yell, for some weird reason I decided to scroll down to look at the youtube comments. You see on normal occasion this is a stupid thing to do, but I forgot this was a comments section for a 1980's song. The very first thing I saw were two comments that both neared 1k likes worshiping the 80's and going on about how perfect it was. This blind nostalgic loyalty to a certain set of ten years is stupid, but everyone has these people, so I don't care that much.

Scroll down a bit more and I see "The 1980's was the last decade of REAL music!!!"

This annoys me for multiple reasons. Who made you the arbiter of what "real" music is? Now of course it isn't only heralds of the holy era of the 1980's that make claims that what they like are the only "real" things. You still see plenty of wicked crispy pros being non-sick with their most dubious claims.

Anyway, who are you, nonspecific person I'm apparently arguing with, to decide what is real art? I'm not a fan of John Grisham, his work is so by-the-numbers checklist cliche that it makes me want to cry into the nearest copy of anything by Lovecraft. But despite my issues with his work, I would never say he wasn't a REAL writer. I don't get why people make a thing being called a thing a medal of honor.

Candy Crush is just as much of a videogame as Kotor, we could argue all day on the quality of these things, which is fine as long as you aren't a poop-face about it. There is a difference between saying "I don't think this is good," to "You are stupid because you like something I don't!" 

Offline lightstone

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • The happy ol jolly me
    • Awards
  • Species: tarwe tiger
  • Coloring: the colors of wheat bread
  • Height: 180cm
  • Weight: somewhere between 50 and 60 kg
  • Build: skinny but healthy
  • Currently: feeling really sorry
Re: The idea of a "real" anything.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 04:28:55 AM »
i totaly one time i was listening hamilton the musical when someone came in and said "what are you listening" i said that i was listening hamilton and he reponed with let me intreduce you to 'real' music so youll become a 'real' man. First of the music you like is an opinion so if someones 'real music' isnt someones else dont argue about it second i am a real man if you want be to become 'normal' then that is impossible too, there is no normal everyone is his/her own special snowlake
not a signature

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 50 Most Online
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 06:25:44 AM »
This isn't a real rant.

;)

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 09:51:05 AM »
I can understand where you're coming from, James, I too have heard that often.
You know how I combat that?
By being sort of sarcastic, saying jokingly something along the lines of: "Huh, didn't know there was real and fake music/movies/etc."
Often they'll reply saying: "You know what I mean."
And I ignore when they say that. And if they do it again, I do the same thing. After a while it'll bother them and they learn to stop with saying that around me. If not, I'm not too bothered by it. After a while what they're saying just becomes white noise to me ;)

This isn't a real rant.

;)

PFFFF XD
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 11:43:38 AM »
In case you were still wondering to why...

Some people have a tendency to use things to make themselves look, or feel better.

For some reason they seem to seek acknowledgement for their taste in music, or are just simply trying to say "Look at me, I listen to music from the 80's, I'm such a special person, and mature person." And, be it, some of them do go a little overboard on that...

I think filthyfrank scored a solid point on that...

As much as a [EXPUNGED] he is, what he's singing makes some sense...

Offline Corran Orreaux

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 03:49:47 PM »
In case you were still wondering to why...

Some people have a tendency to use things to make themselves look, or feel better.

For some reason they seem to seek acknowledgement for their taste in music, or are just simply trying to say "Look at me, I listen to music from the 80's, I'm such a special person, and mature person." And, be it, some of them do go a little overboard on that...

I think filthyfrank scored a solid point on that...

As much as a [EXPUNGED] he is, what he's singing makes some sense...

I must admit, that video was a jolly a good time. But I must ask, I like classical lute tunes, bard stuff from the 14th century... I'm I the second hippest boi? I-I mean frank's taste is far more refined than my peasant jams... but do I come close to the cool?

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 04:21:26 PM »
(Yes! I knew it was a joke, but I'm gonna post this anyway!)

I hope this solves the confusion...

Music is meant to be enjoyed. Not to fuel discussions, or cause self-confidence problems.

There's also no need to get angry at the people on the internet, and things like that, but that's advanced levels of emotional refridgeration, that you're best off learning from yourself!

<3

Offline Cuttlebear

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Cuttlefish
  • Coloring: Brown fur, teal eyes.
  • Build: Chubby, pear shaped with a tummy.
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 01:40:35 PM »
I always laugh whenever people claim that cellphone games aren't "real" games. Those silly puzzle games play and work exactly like all the games you could get on an NES or Atari system!

Offline Inactive123

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 02:16:16 PM »
coming from someone who likes a variety of music it's very annoying to see people say that but sadly you see it everywhere even in the music market itself  :S