The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: "Meetups and Conventions"-board  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
"Meetups and Conventions"-board
« on: August 29, 2017, 07:47:07 PM »
I feel like the timer for threads getting auto-locked might need to be extended or possibly even removed from this board.

As it looks to me, any thread that hasn't been posted in for a month (or something like so) gets locked automatically. However, seeing as many conventions are truly relevant only for a couple times a year, the primary examples being right before they happen, when they open up for registrations, bookings etc. and when they start advertising themselves. The latter two of these examples happen several months up to as far as 6-8 months prior to the convention happening.

As the above would suggest, there can be lengthy periods between when the thread for a certain convention is made and when the discussion gets relevant once again for the same convention meaning that an existing thread for a convention can very well have gotten auto-locked well before the convention in question is even due to take place, requiring one to contact a moderator if they wish to have the thread unlocked for further discussion. This is something I've personally seen, including threads I've started myself, and I've even seen one example of a fresh thread being made for the same convention simply because the old one had been locked since several months back due to inactivity once it was getting closer to the date of that one convention.

Suggestion:
Please either extend the duration for which how long a thread in this board is allowed to be inactive before it is automatically locked; Alternatively remove the automatic locking of inactive threads entirely in this board.

In the case of the former, I would suggest a duration around 6 months may be fair as that this is the average time between when conventions first start to advertise their next iteration to when it actually happens. This means that a thread created right away when users are the most likely to start discussing who else may plan to attend a certain convention should remain open right up until when the convention occurs.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
Re: "Meetups and Conventions"-board
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 11:24:48 PM »
It was set to lock after 2 months of inactivity, but that's a fair suggestion.

Changed it to 6 months.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:49:27 AM »
I saw this and forgot to respond D:
I mean, what I might say now wouldn't make much of a difference >.>
But I agree with you, Timmy. In fact, a lot of conventions -if not most- actually already mention what the theme is for the convention next year. So arguably it can even be 12 months from the moment they start until when it happens.
Still, the 6 months duration will surely help!
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 12:15:14 PM »
Yeah I can see that as a possibility, but we'll start with the 6 months and see how it goes. :)

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 06:05:37 PM »
Yeah, whilst I could see even 12 months being useful I think 6 months might be enough mainly since there isn't enough activity as is that it'd make a big difference.

Most topics that pop up seem to happen a little closer to the next iteration being relevant, as explained (registration openings and such), as opposed to right after the previous iteration, after all.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!