The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: lack of focus and motivation  (Read 986 times)

Offline Ginger Ale

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: american badger/ground pangolin hybrid
  • Coloring: green
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: haven't measured in a while...
  • Build: A bit of muscle, but not a lot. Scales abound.
  • Currently: trying to make sense of everything
lack of focus and motivation
« on: August 18, 2017, 04:26:53 AM »
Despite getting a lot of sleep, I feel tired all the time. I can't focus on anything, my mind keeps making excuses for me to think about something unrelated. I don't have the motivation to do anything, not even drawing anymore. Most of me just wants to sit at my laptop all day watching youtube instead of doing anything productive. Sometimes this feeling goes away, and I feel great about life and all that, but sometimes I feel depressed and scared about the future, and everything I always avoid. But most of the time, I just feel dull, and everything that I should be doing gets put off because of my procrastination and lack of focus. I feel like I should be able to fix this, but I don't know how.
"and maybe we weren't put on this earth to rape and pillage and ravage
because god created puppy dogs and god created kittens
and our love creates a power plant
that generates this world
and if we stop now
then we'll just disappear into oblivion"

-andrew jackson jihad

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Re: lack of focus and motivation
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 05:43:51 AM »
I have that a lot too myself. Then I get mad at myself I didn't do anything.
The thing that helps me is to organise my life a bit. I make up a schedule for the next day. I plan what 'serious' stuff to do and what fun stuff I can and should do.
And even if I wouldn't do everything on the schedule, that's fine, but I would have done at least more than if I didn't have that schedule.
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Ginger Ale

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
  • Species: american badger/ground pangolin hybrid
  • Coloring: green
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: haven't measured in a while...
  • Build: A bit of muscle, but not a lot. Scales abound.
  • Currently: trying to make sense of everything
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 03:36:01 PM »
I'll try doing that, thanks.
"and maybe we weren't put on this earth to rape and pillage and ravage
because god created puppy dogs and god created kittens
and our love creates a power plant
that generates this world
and if we stop now
then we'll just disappear into oblivion"

-andrew jackson jihad

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 07:02:54 PM »
No problem, hope it helps :)

Should add you need to try this for an extended period of time, and try making it a habit. Even if things are going fine again, it's always good to keep doing this.
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline KairBear

• Vibrating Furby
  • I'm a noob D:
    • Awards
  • Species: Undecided
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 07:15:52 AM »
Wow it's like you wrote how I've felt for the past few years. I'm personally also searching for an answer to why I'm like this, and how to fix the lack of motivation issue. If you're like me, then even enjoyable tasks such as drawing come off as 'too much work' and almost stressful in a sense. I think we're like this because we lack discipline, at least I know I do. When it comes to productive things you have to do, try to trick yourself in your head by thinking it's a lot simpler of a task then it is. Let's say something like having to read a textbook. In your head you can think, "Oh, it'll only take an hour to skim over the chapters assigned for this week. As long as I get the point, I don't have to worry about taking perfect notes." If you're like me, then you might procrastinate because you're a perfectionist. For example, if you have a messy room, you might delay cleaning it because when you think about cleaning it, it won't be as perfect and organized as you want it to be. Therefore, you will only clean the room when a person comes over to see it, and you mostly would clean it by hiding the mess to deal with it later. In other words, the procrastination comes off from an inner sense of perfectionism. Procrastinating doesn't mean a person is lazy or dumb, it just means that they have a system they prefer to adhere to. For example, you might only want to draw when you're extremely inspired to. Therefore, you can apply your own system to how you draw, to the point where you might not do anything else but finish the drawing. Then all of a sudden you stop drawing for months. We procrastinate because we wait for the perfect moment and time to do things: the perfect mood, the right inspiration, etc. But sometimes people like us do need some discipline just to get responsibilities taken care of. That's why sometimes even YouTube can become boring, because you end up spending more time trying to find videos instead of watching them. So, Ginger Ale, how I suggest how to cure this, mostly based on how I'm trying to cure myself, is by distracting yourself from distractions. Think in the way that everything is good in moderation. You can spend hours a day on the internet playing games or on YouTube, and that's okay. But in that same day, cut an hour in between that time to do whatever productive thing you would need to do. For me, that would be school. After all, if you want your computer to last better, it needs time to cool down. Might as well use that time doing productive things. I'll help out more if you think my advice has any substance lol.

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 03:54:42 AM »
Depression does more than just make you "feel sad" all the time.  A lack of motivation is a big factor.  You want to do stuff, but can't garner the ambition to do stuff.  So that would be my guess.
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket