The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Charcoal Art or similar?  (Read 4113 times)

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Spectacled Flying Fox
  • Coloring: dark brown main, sandy/gold secondary, assorted blues. Black/maroon eyes.
  • Height: 6' 00"
  • Weight: 185
  • Reference: [link]
Charcoal Art or similar?
« on: July 22, 2017, 06:17:13 AM »
i had some art I wanted to draw on a proper canvas, using black and white. I feel charcoal would suit the contents perfectly, but I've never used it for art before.

Has anyone here used it?

Or any other B&W tools that may get the same or similar effect?
"The world is what you make of it, sir! If it doesn't fit, you make alterations."

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
Re: Charcoal Art or similar?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 04:01:27 PM »
Charcoal can be fun, but it is super messy. Make sure you cover anything nearby and/or don't touch anything you don't want to get the charcoal on. It gets on you, and there is dust that comes off that gets over everything else.

I did like using it though. Interesting medium.

As for other choices, there's pencil, pen, marker, ink, paint, pastels...

Ink is another really interesting one. You could even use tea if you want your greyscale image to have a brown tint to it.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 04:26:39 PM »
Yes, charcoal is fun but can be very messy indeed x3
As for ink: We got a type of ink here called Indian Ink or 'Ecoline', I really like working with that personally ^^
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Ori

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • "You can't see me" - John Cena
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Warm Grey, red, black
  • Height: 5ft 6 ish,
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Skinny, Scrawny.
  • Currently: Working on college homework
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 01:58:22 AM »
If you're doing charcoal art, you should grab some blenders, vine charcoal and a chamois. (Chamois are for blending/ereasing, vine charcoal is loose and makes it easier to do some things. Especially like drawing loosely. And the blending sticks are you know blending sticks @.@) Why not attempt to use the hard charcoal to get a colored background? (And don't forget to use the chamois to blend the background if ya do. And you can layer the charcoal to make the background darker as well.) A kneaded eraser is very useful for erasing. And remember use the white charcoal sparingly, and try to erase instead of using it. The reason being the white charcoal is very like, opaque, compared to your paper and it makes it look a bit off. For this reason I used an automatic ereaser to get very white marks, without using white charcoal and after some practice you can get some very accurate and small white marks... (You can also try powder charcoal for making a colored background.)
And finally, make sure to get a can of that fixative spray and use it outside! Put down some layers if necessary!
Why do I know so much about it? Cause that's all I used in my art class in college last year lol.
Good luck!
My name is Ori.

I am totally not trying to impersonate Edward Scissorhands. Who is that anyway?
Also I am humming this is Halloween.
Also John Cena Memes don't die. (John Cena theme blares in background)

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Coloring: dark brown main, sandy/gold secondary, assorted blues. Black/maroon eyes.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 02:57:59 AM »
Wow, thanks so much! That's really helpful. Maybe I'll just try playing around with it (and of course, the different methods and means of actually using it like you gave in depth, Ori :3 ) and see how I like using it. I'm ideally hoping to get at least content with b&w with it, as the thing in question (a scene from a dream) was in black and white, and otherwise full greyscale.

All of that has been incredibly helpful and insightful. Is there a particular sort of thing I should be using it on, or would a standard sort of canvas be good? Seems like a normal canvas is good from what I know. Which isn't much. lol
"The world is what you make of it, sir! If it doesn't fit, you make alterations."

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 08:02:25 AM »
Normal canvas should be fine. If you do use charcoal you will probably want to seal it after you're done so it doesn't get smudged or anything.

I always used newsprint paper, but I can't think of a reason why the canvas wouldn't work for you.

Art stream:

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 12:48:55 AM »
Normal canvas should be fine. If you do use charcoal you will probably want to seal it after you're done so it doesn't get smudged or anything.

I always used newsprint paper, but I can't think of a reason why the canvas wouldn't work for you.

Cool, makes sense, considering. Any suggestions on a sealer? I would be inclined to lean towards a spray, since brushing seems like it'd be a terrible idea. lol But then again, I've never used charcoal, so I can't say. Just an assumption.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 04:23:36 PM »
Yep, some kind of spray. I don't have a particular kind to recommend.

Art stream:

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 12:33:07 AM »
Cool! Thank you. I'll pop by our Art Supply Warehouse and take a look, as well as asking the people there. :3