The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Update on Nick  (Read 9282 times)

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Update on Nick
« on: July 13, 2017, 09:33:17 AM »
Hi guys!

I post this with Nick's permission. Some of you may have noticed that one of our global mods, Nick, has been absent for a while, but this has been for a good reason. Nick went to the doctors with pneumonia and the doctors discovered he had Congestive Heart Failure. When he first told me of this condition he reiterated several times that it was treatable and that he'd be fine, however it turns out the condition may have been a lot more worse than he let on. After medication didn't seem to work he was facing a dire condition and needed a heart transplant to survive.

Luckily and most thankfully he found a compatible heart and recently just came out of a successful heart transplant surgery! I'm sure all of TFF is extremely happy to hear the news that Nick will be ok and we all should wish him a great recovery.

As for his moderator status, he seems confident he wants to come back to TFF but is thinking of taking a temporary break from his global moderator position, nothing has been confirmed though. For now lets just be thankful that one of the most hard working and excellent forum moderators is still alive and kicking!
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
Re: Update on Nick
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »
That is awful! :c

I hope he will get better soon enough!
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 10:37:38 AM »
 Luckily and most thankfully he found a compatible heart and recently just came out of a successful heart transplant surgery! I'm sure all of TFF is extremely happy to hear the news that Nick will be ok and we all should wish him a great recovery.
There is an expression around here that goes as this: weed does not perish  ^_^
I hope you'll recover quick Nick, and take a good long vacation, you've deserved it after all this

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 05:05:31 PM »
Best of luck to him in recovery.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »
Oh dear, I had no idea. I don't think anyone else knew either, except from you, Anoni? Anyways, I wish him well regardless. I recall we used to talk a lot, and it was fun. Good luck and take care, Nick.
No wonder he hasn't been around (as a member or moderator) for nearly a year now. At least that I'm aware of.  I mean, I've seen him online and tried to speak with him on a few occassions, but... yeah... That explains it O_o
Once again, good luck, Nick. Hope to hear from you soon, but if not, then I wish you well with your recovery either way and that you have an awesome life.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:04:58 PM by Ventus Fall »
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Alistair

• Resident pink saber
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Smilodon Populator
  • Coloring: Strawberry, cream, and black
  • Height: 7'2"
  • Weight: 350lb
  • Build: Stocky
  • Currently: Fortnite dancing into the inevitable future
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 09:01:48 PM »
Here's to hoping he makes a speedy recovery so he can feel better. Really glad he made it through this though.
Royal Saber floof mane the first

Sir Sabering the first

Offline Firox

• I is very friendly! No worries
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • (still reply to my other sonas, in signature)
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox *Flareon*
  • Coloring: Main fur red, do have fluffy yellow fur on head tuft, mane, and tail, dark red inside ears
  • Height: 3ft / 91 cm, lenght: 3ft 6in / 106cm, tail: 3ft 6in / 105cm
  • Weight: 38 lbs / 17kg
  • Build: playful, caring, competitive
  • Currently: friendly and full of fun - love chocolate chip cookies!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 04:27:55 AM »
Wow, good to hear that Nick will get better - speedy recovery Nick
my grandma had the same, survived 3 open heart surgery (passed away on the 4th)
Info on my sona
Vay, female, Vaporeon, New York CIty, New York
Joseph, male, Jolteon, Kansas City, Missouri
Aaron, male, Flareon, McMinnville, Oregon
Arval, male, Umbreon,  San Francisco, California
Jyo, male, Espeon, Seattle, Washington
Linette, female, Leafeon, Biloxi, Mississippi
Grace, female, Glaceon, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sherrie, female, Sylveon, Las Vegas, Nevada

8 opposite gender mates:
Leonardo, male, Vaporeon, Venice, Italy
Robyn, female, Jolteon, Bridgetown, Barbados
Fleur, female, Flareon, Marseille, France
Aycan, female, Umbreon, Istanbul, turkey
Elise, female, Espeon, Basseterre, St. Kitts-Nevis
Zoran, male, Leafeon, Velez, North Macedonia
Florian, male, Glaceon, Craiova, Romania
Seth, male, Sylveon, Ashgabath, Turkmenistan

My other supporting sonas:
Charlene - Bobby - Marrie - Milo - Vanessa - Zoey - Jeremy -Yana - Kumar - Francine - Rorch - Marvinne - Darsha

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: German Shepherd
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 01:51:54 AM »
Oh dayum. Sure hope he's back on his feet soon and that there are no future issues

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sherwood Fox
  • Coloring: Like a fire in a blizzard
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: She flies now!?
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 11:35:38 PM »
Oh my God! This is shocking and yet a relief too.  I hope everything goes well and wish him a full recovery. Truly the heart of such a noble dragon is not easily replaced.

Offline Romulan_Furry

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Battle Alert! Go shields up and weapons hot!
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger
  • Coloring: Inverted fur pattern (black with white stripes)
  • Height: 6'7"
  • Weight: 250 lbs
  • Build: Muscular, but not overly so
  • Currently: Trying to find the drive to continue my original work.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 11:44:27 PM »
It's not every day one faces such dire odds and survives. Hats off to you, Nick, for your resilience - and I wish you a speedy recovery.

--Rom
"The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural..." --Darth Sidious

"Being a soldier isn't just following orders - it's following those orders while in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we aren't soldiers anymore; just pieces on a chess board, dying for the wrong reasons." --Unknown

A Klingon wears their emotion on his or her sleeve - when they're happy, you'll hear it; sad, you'll see it; angry, you'll fear it.

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 50 Topic Starter
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 06:13:25 PM »
Holy cow, have no idea that's why he was gone. :o

Offline Alessia Starfurr

• Vixen of the Stars
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • BEHOLD THE POWER OF MY...Rubber sword?
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Folf (Hybrid Fox Wolf)
  • Coloring: Dark Blue, Light Blue
  • Weight: WHA!?!?
  • Build: Slim,fit.
  • Currently: Still raiding open fridges and freezers.
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 08:21:32 PM »
Ugh that one hurts right in the 'heart' to read.

Well I wish him the best of luck , Live long and prosper Nick.
Uhh..Lord I didn't train to be a pilot. Tell me I don't have any more flying to do today.........................  Amen. ~ 'Dutch' Halo3 ODST.

We all go through peroids of darkness. In such times we can turn to the Lord, but it's good to have friends ~  Joshua Graham , Fallout New Vegas, Honest Hearts.

When people are lost they turn to the man who  acts like he knows the way out,  when the truth is he knows less than them. ~ John McMillan Original War

"Never Interfere With an Enemy While He’s in the Process of Destroying Himself" -Unknown.

"I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes" ~William Shatter, Airplane II 

Credits: Alesssia pictures by JackThorn/Tomas13

Offline Midnight Madness

• Lucifer 2.0 (Doggo Edition)
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Most Online
  • Absolutely adorable.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycanroc
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 175 lbs.
  • Build: Very well toned, intimidating despite his average height.
  • Currently: Guess who.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 08:57:44 AM »
'Sup y'all. This loser is back in action, new heart and all. Gonna be coming back as a member since I felt I wasn't interacting with the community on here enough. Back in the day, I was all over the irc and the boards as we knew them, but as I climbed the moderation ladder I felt like I became more and more detached from you guys. Familiar faces or newbies, I'm hoping to get involved with everyone once more.

Updates on my health thus far are all good ones. My weight has been fluctuating to say the least, all thanks to meds and their side effects, but I'm still a good deal lighter than I was before. Or am I? Because damn does my body like to build muscle. I've been going to some Cardiac Rehab and I can say with certainty I'm physically stronger than ever. I keep myself on a relatively serious diet with very little deviation - low sodium, consistent carbohydrate intake and low fat. I've gone and ditched almost half the meds I started with and haven't had even the slightest sign of rejection yet!

I've also changed my hair significantly, almost to the point you might think I'm actually trying to imitate a Lycanroc. I upgraded my PC from a potato to a top-of-the-line monster. I've made two new characters since I was last here and I've massively expanded my RP setting for them. Hell, in a strange twist I even made myself a female 'sona and have a debate going on in my head regarding this Lycanroc, Lucifer, and his standing as a character or 'sona.

So yeah, over all, my life's been on an upward swing for the whole three months I've been with this new heart. Some random person lost their lives and saved mine, and to them I will be forever grateful. Thanks to that person, I can finally live the life I never knew was possible and do so to the absolute fullest. I've been looking into doing talks at schools in an attempt to help people understand cardiac and pulmonary health with the help of my Transplant team. Hell, I even managed to land my happy ass on the news the day of my discharge.

I've told this to people countless times, but I have a lengthy story about my fight to survive my heart failure, but I think it's one that needs to be told. The positivity those familiar with me recall is the very vessel that kept me alive.

Spoiler for The story I want to share:
To give a message to you all, never give up. Be strong. I lived twenty two years of my life completely unaware of my own health problems, having thought it was just some oddly specific form of asthma since the age of twelve. It took doctors a full decade to even figure out what the problem was. Everyone thought I was just lazy, myself included, and I was so close to just saying '**censor** it' to getting to where I wanted to be in terms of health. But in the spring of 2016, I got a sudden sickness I couldn't explain. My chest hurt like hell and I could barely sleep no less even walk to the damned bathroom just across from my room. I saw doctor after doctor and they all told me it could be my "asthma," but no matter what they did to treat that, it failed. They eventually sent me in for an Ultrasound on my chest, and they failed to find anything. I kept insisting, and eventually one doctor thought it might be Pneumonia. We did a blood test that day, but after I got home I felt even more sick. I suddenly got a crippling headache, breathing was strained, I was coughing up every organ I had, my eyes were irritated and I was stuffed up like hell. I didn't sleep at all and I had to call an advice nurse. She told me to get my ass to the hospital. It was there that I found out two things: the doctor's suspicions were correct and my heart was four times the normal size or something. Safe to say I was terrified.

I didn't let that break me, however. I did my best to be upbeat and made jokes with the nurses, but especially dark humor. I knew I could die at any moment right there in the bed. So if I did, I wanted to go out smiling and making someone happy. I'd given up on myself and just remembered the people around me, from my family to the nurses who were working their asses off to keep me kicking. This all happened in the middle of moving from my home in Washington to a new home in Tennessee. I had to take oxygen on the plane, but the second flight refused me the tank. I had barely made the first flight and was worried I might not make the second without a problem. Breathing was tough, sure, but it was a short flight and I kept on fighting until we landed. I got the oxygen back and took the deepest breath I think I ever have. Less than a week after arriving, I ended up passing out in the kitchen and being rushed to the hospital. Turns out I had amassed a scary amount of fluid and it had begun to surround my lungs, which had collapsed part of the right one, which was the cause of my labored breathing among other things. I had that surgery the day after my arrival in the hospital on the third of July. I spent the fourth of July in the hospital, experiencing some of the worst pain I'd ever felt in the form of a catheter being forced into my back to drain the fluid from around the lung. Yeah, it hurt like a bitch and I almost passed out again just due to the pain, but I stuck it out.

After that, my Cardiologist finally had a chance to meet me, and he's a goddamn saint. No insurance and he was still treating me, not concerned in the least about me paying him. He just wanted me to pull through. He gave me education on matters and educated my grandparents as well. All seemed well for about six months, but in January, the found the medicine was doing absolutely nothing for me. My heart had become so diseased that I wasn't projected to even make it to the end of 2017, but they never told me that. My cardiologist only told me that I was at risk of death and needed a new medicine... and it would have to be constantly administered via IV. I had catheter placed within my right pectoral and was given a pump after I arrived home along with the medicine - milrinone. It was only two weeks after that and I also received an internal defibrillation device that'd zap me back to life if I had any irregular beats or severe murmurs. I kept these in until my transplant. But before that, I ended up back in the hospital multiple times, and the final time saw a serious scare with my liver enzymes suddenly flaring up. This was the first sign my Cardiologist had that my heart was well on its way to stopping completely.

A perfect match came up after being on the Transplant list for only one month. He brought the news to me along with the fact my liver had settled once more, but he only said that they might have found a match. However, it was only by the next morning and I was woken up at six am to be prepped and carted out to the surgery room. June 7th, 2017, they removed my dying heart and transplanted the healthy heart. I died that day, but was revived just the same. I was unconscious for the entire day and awoke the following afternoon. I had pumps, tubes and innumerable IV lines sticking out of me. My defibrillator was gone, and all that remained was a great red scar on my left pectoral. The very first weekend, my friends in Alabama had come up to see me and wish me well. But sadly, for that entire weekend, I was forced to have an NG tube rammed up my nostril and all the way down my throat, where it finally stopped inside of my stomach. My throat was raw, my face hurt and the slightest movement forced the nurses to have to reset it. I never once stopped complaining about it, but I didn't allow myself to take it out, no matter how badly I wanted to. But within one week, I was having tubes, cables and all sorts of things pulled, even the old IV line in my chest. And by the time July rolled around, I was out. I got to celebrate Independence Day, 2017.

While I was in the hospital, I learned the grave situation I had been in. I cried in the bed thinking about the life lost to save mine, both in thanks and in mourning as well. I was both happy and relieved, but also empathetic to the family that had lost someone. I came to realize that had I hadn't forced myself to stay positive and keep going, no matter how hard it got, that I would have succumb to my illness and this topic would have been far, far different. My official diagnosis was Acute, Idiopathic, Congestive Heart Failure. In laymen's terms, it had a sudden onset, they have no idea why I had it and my heart wasn't strong enough to pump blood throughout my body. I fought through it all and, as you can see above, it turned out better in the end.

One person was on death's door and waiting to stay, but they saw to it I was only a visitor. To them I owe innumerable thanks and I only wish I could repay them for the gift they gave me.

I bid you all the best of wishes. I'm glad to be back. <3

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 12:29:08 PM »
Wow! That is amazing. I don't think I met you, but I am happy to hear that things are looking up for you. That is quite the ordeal.
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 50 Topic Starter
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 03:25:55 PM »
Welcome back to the world of the living.