The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: New to Furries and the Like  (Read 1676 times)

Offline LeeMessesAround

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Opossum
  • Coloring: Just a normal looking opossum
  • Height: Roughly 5'9
  • Weight: 113 pounds
  • Build: Fairly lanky, but working to build muscle
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: In a limbo state between happy and depressed, very strange feeling
New to Furries and the Like
« on: June 01, 2017, 12:08:55 AM »
(I'm only really posting this here because I don't think it qualifies as an introduction)

Uh, howdy, everyone

As the title states, I'm a bit new to furries. I know of them and vaguely understand them, but I've never really considered myself to be one, ya know? Recently, I decided I might start, I guess, identifying as a furry, but I wanted to consult the general population(?) before doing that, since I don't really fit the definition of what most furries are.
You see, I do really enjoy drawing and looking at anthro animals, hell, I made a fursona for myself a while back, and am considering making a secondary one because why not, but I never called myself a furry...in fact, I would state on many occasions that I wasn't a furry, call that insecurity or whatever, but I just never felt like I fit the standards, I guess.

Now, my problem comes in when I consider what most furries are into and what I'm not. Most furries I've seen have been super into fur-suiting, which is something I'm not really interested in (too much money for something I'll probably never wear for various reasons), and I notice a lot of furries establish a very strong connection with their animal selves. Now, it's not that I don't establish a strong connection with my fursona, I have a very strong personal connection to all characters I make, but, I don't know, I guess I don't see myself as an animal. There are things I see myself as that I'm not, but a furry animal isn't one of those things. The only thing me and furries seem to have in common is that we enjoy drawing and looking at anthro animals, and that's kinda where it ends, on most fronts.

I suppose my question is this: should I call myself a furry or just say that I'm a person who enjoys drawing and looking at anthro animals? I'm posting this on a few different forums so I can get a general understanding of what the overall community thinks and I'll make my decision based off of that. Personally, I do kind of think that I can call myself a furry on some level, but I want to hear what everyone thinks.
I'm not a very active user here, but feel free to message me, if you'd like. I'll happily exchange Discord, Skype, or DeviantArt with people who want to talk to me more.

Offline ?

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 10 Most Online
  • Evolution Pokémon
    • Awards
  • Species: eevee
  • Height: 1'
  • Weight: 14.1 lbs
  • Currently: ^v^
Re: New to Furries and the Like
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 12:16:54 AM »
This thread might help you out a bit  ^_^     > https://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=16042.0#new <  I think it might be rather helpful in answering some questions you seem to have.  The way I see it, your a furry if you say you are. There isn't specific qualifications you need.  :)

Cheers!  ^_^  hope that thread helps a bit.
Everything comes from nothing
Everything is something
So just let it all keep happening

Don't be a means to someone's end
It's all just beginning why can't we extend
An invitation to every hand

All hands can clap
All hearts are beating equally
The pulls of the air we're breathing

If we can believe in one part of it
Then we can believe in all of it
So don't stop
Don't stop the party

Offline Dazed

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Not real
    • Awards
  • Species: Raptor
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 12:30:12 AM »
Funny thing about being a furry is that you decide if you are one or not, really.
There's really.. no set guidelines in place anywhere. Its just people doing things they enjoy and talking about it, really. Also, welcome!

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 01:58:00 AM »
Well welcome anyhow.  ^_^

But furry is just a name or label.  Many folks just like the art.  Some like fursuiting.  All in all every furry I met has been different and there is no real set of guidelines other than liking anthropomorphic animals.
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »
Sure you can call yourself a furry. I really like seeing fursuits, but I don't see myself wearing one at a furcon quite yet. Those things seem too hot to walk around in for me. And there's no rule for feeling like an animal. I'm pretty sure you've only seen the most noticeable things about the fandom - the things that stand out. Fursuiting, feeling like an animal, and liking cartoons at the age of 50 are things that stand out from what society is used to. But those things are not a requirement, just liking anthropomorphic characters and wanting to call yourself a furry is good enough.

Offline LeeMessesAround

• Avid Aardvark
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 08:19:11 PM »
@?
(I hope this is how you tag people, agh)

That thread did help me a lot, thank you ^^
I guess I should've done more research before assuming there were qualifications I had to meet, but eh, now I know for future experiences, ahah

Post Merge: June 01, 2017, 08:22:24 PM
@DazedMongoliensis

Thanks for the welcome ^^
I'm glad to have received so much support, I guess. I guess it was a bit ignorant of me to just assume that, if I didn't fit certain standards, I shouldn't try and associate myself with a certain group.
Anyway, I look forward to, perhaps, posting a bit more here, can't guarantee I will (never really been the type to use forums), but I'll try to be social
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:22:24 PM by Leeround, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
I'm not a very active user here, but feel free to message me, if you'd like. I'll happily exchange Discord, Skype, or DeviantArt with people who want to talk to me more.

Offline ?

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 10 Most Online
  • Evolution Pokémon
    • Awards
  • Species: eevee
  • Height: 1'
  • Weight: 14.1 lbs
  • Currently: ^v^
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 08:25:23 PM »
( I don't think there is tagging yet on here, next best thing here would be quoting I believe)

and your welcome, glad that it provided you with answers.   ^_^
Everything comes from nothing
Everything is something
So just let it all keep happening

Don't be a means to someone's end
It's all just beginning why can't we extend
An invitation to every hand

All hands can clap
All hearts are beating equally
The pulls of the air we're breathing

If we can believe in one part of it
Then we can believe in all of it
So don't stop
Don't stop the party

Offline LeeMessesAround

• Avid Aardvark
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 08:25:57 PM »
@Albie

Thanks for the welcome, friend, ahah
I'm glad to hear that ^^" this general consensus seems to be what is echoed throughout all the replies I received, that is that anyone can be a furry as long as they like anthro animals, ahah. I guess I just thought there was more to it and didn't feel like I fit those other standards I thought needed to be met, but I understand now. Thanks for helping me out

Post Merge: June 01, 2017, 08:29:40 PM
@Michen_S

Thanks for the help.
I, myself, also like looking at fursuits, but I have no interest in really ever wearing one. I might try one on if I'm allowed to by somebody else, but it's just not my thing. Anyway, this entire interaction with the few people who replied has really helped me ^^ thanks for pitching in
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:29:40 PM by Leeround, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 02:00:20 AM »
But it is all about what makes you comfortable.  I have met a few members here that don't consider themselves furries.  As long as you are nice and friendly, you will fit in just fine.  ^_^
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket