The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Fursona?  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Joey

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Jackal
Fursona?
« on: April 02, 2017, 05:23:37 AM »
Greetings!

I don't really know if I should be posting in this topic, I just feel like I should because I'm still new and don't really know anything.

After the first topic I created about my confusion on furries in general and whether or not I am one, I have sprouted a new question on my mind about Fursonas. Before I say anything I will point out that I have read Winged Zephyr's post "What Is a Furry". My question about fursonas is basically, what are they? From my understanding they are original characters that represent the creator? But also not kinda? Is a fursona something that represents you? Or is it you but just, an animal. Is it what you feel like you are actually? WHAT IS IT.

And also, drawing, or designing I guess. If it is just you but as an animal, does it literally look like just you but an animal? Here's an amazing MS Paint picture of me, but animal.

I DO NOT KNOW AHHH
@.@

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 05:26:18 AM by Joey »

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
Re: Fursona?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 05:34:02 AM »
It is different for everybody.  For me, Lucario here represents my best qualities in myself and I think of him to help me deflect negative qualities.  So he is me, but more of a me that I strive to become.  His look is just a physical representation to that.
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
  • Species: German Shepherd
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 07:01:15 AM »
To boil it down, I fursona is usually one of three things
1 A furry version of you (may or may not look like you)
2 A furry character you take on while online
3 A furry character you made up for stories/lore/etc.

Make your fursona however you want. And if you want, change it later. I love German Shepherd Dogs, so Rocco is one. I've continued to tweak him, especially his appearance, I don't even have any art of him yet. Rocco has been through stuff very similar to me, but is further ahead in life. He's a mix of who I am, who I want to be, and a little dreaming.
There are tons of different ways to make your fursona. There is no wrong way to do it, just do what seems right to you

Offline Dean

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug
  • Left the forums
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 07:53:32 AM »
@Rocco
There are much more options/reasons.

@Joey
As Albie already said: It's different to everyone. For every single being, it has a whole different story. For some, it might be a pet which died. For some other ones, it's just a roleplay game for fun. For other ones, it should show their personality and so on. There are many, many different stories and I always love to hear them. They are interesting and the most of them even wonderful.

I don't really have a fursona, for example. I am a therian and try to cope with my therianthropy with the help of the fandom - it works. So, the ape you see is me, lifted up with a few accessories who also show who I am, not only what I am. It's kinda difficult to get, I know. But that's also a reason for some fursonas. As said, I don't have a fursona. It's just me. Some other ones who also are therians use their theriotype (the animal they are/identify as) and make a fursona out of it. I know a few ones who did so.

You see? There are different options. Feel free to ask, whenever something seems to be unclear to you.
Have a nice day!

Offline HellEye

• The Elementalist
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Fox go boop
    • Awards
  • Species: Red fox
  • Coloring: Red and white, normal red fox coloring
  • Height: 5'8" Anthro / 1'4" Feral
  • Weight: 150lbs Anthro / 20lbs Feral
  • Build: Average, fluffy
  • Currently: *Happy fox*
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 09:49:48 AM »
It all depends on you. For me a fursona is a representation of myself, but I know a lot of people whose sonas are just characters they like. It doesn't even have to be original, as you can see we have quite a bit of Pokemons around
It doesn't have to look like you if you don't want to show how you look. It can be what you feel you are, what you like, maybe simply your favourite animal, mix between a couple different ones... There are really no restrictions about it.

Hey, looks like something I'd draw. I guess it works.
Everyone seems to have it, so here's mine

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
  • Species: German Shepherd
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 06:44:34 PM »
@Rocco
There are much more options/reasons.
I said usually. I wasn't going to go on too long because I had quite the day and was about to head to bed

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 09:29:39 AM »
Hello again, Joey :)

It's best you ask if you don't know, so it's all good!

Look, generally if we break down the actual meaning of the word 'fursona', it is derived from the words 'furry' and 'persona'.
A persona is how you represent yourself. For example online. A furry persona, such as an anthropomorphic character is a fur-sona. As such you also have scalesona, a persona covered in scales, such as a dragon or lizard.
You can represent who you really are and just simply change the 'appearance' or 'look' of yourself online; We all know I'm not a real dragon here :P but how I am on these forums is how I am in real life as well.
You can also represent a specific side or traits of yours and build a fursona around that.

Thus however the word itself furry-persona by itself means that, the word fursona has taken on various different forms and can mean something else to everyone separately. Though generally a fursona is how you represent yourself to others, in whatever shape or form this may be with whatever reasoning behind it.

As for fursona's being OC's (original characters) of their creator?
That doesn't have to be the case, but is usually very common.
People also work with adopting a designed character, be it via an auction, commission, or otherwise. I have known a few (also in real life) who are furries but could not draw or did not -in fact- have any imagination how to design their fursona XD So they let someone else come up with something for them.
But generally something they can look at, something that represents them in whatever way.

Some people have a stronger relationship to their fursona's than others. Others have it "just for fun", but for some it's something a bit more than that.
To me, I have a strong connection with every character I draw and design. Ventus Fall (my main and most common fursona) represents me the best. She is me. I focus on art, so does she. I like dragons, she is a dragon. Etc.

Interesting drawing you made there!

• Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 09:54:33 AM »
It's exactly what you want it to be! A character that represents you as a form of alter ego. Usually it's some form of animal character that represents the person behind it but it could be any creature you'd like :3
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!